Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 1:19 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 12:43 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Today at 12:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:05 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Today at 11:52 am

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:32 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:40 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:38 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:16 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by GardenGal Today at 2:14 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:21 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Yesterday at 7:05 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/7/2016, 9:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/7/2016, 11:48 am

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Retirement fun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retirement fun

Post  AtlantaMarie on 4/6/2016, 10:03 am

Okay, so I noticed that we're getting a lot of retirees now. Congratulations! Can't wait to join you!

But to keep our threads "on-topic," I'm thinking we should have a specific thread for the ways you're keeping yourself active now. This idea is spawned by hammock gal talking about all the things she's doing now that she didn't have time for before. (Thank you, HG!)

Made me think about my mom - if I catch her at home, it's a miracle! 3 Book clubs, sorority meetings, alumnae group, senior's group where she teaches knitting & takes lots of classes, local college classes, cooking group, stamping club, other groups to hang out with friends... It just goes on...

I know this topic isn't really about gardening, but what do you think?

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3784

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Retirement fun

Post  hammock gal on 4/6/2016, 11:21 am

Hi Marie, hope I didn't step on any toes. I only mentioned those things because Cape Coddess said to pop on over to the New England group and talk to her about retirement. Should I have posted that somewhere else? A new thread? Embarassed

hammock gal

Female Posts : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 4/6/2016, 11:45 am

No toe stepping; there is plenty of rooms for "off-topic" threads....and those of us still stuck at a job can live through your enjoyment!

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/6/2016, 2:04 pm

Retirement topic is fine and it's in the right sub-forum. We do tend to get off topic here . . .

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12291

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 4/6/2016, 2:32 pm

@herblover wrote:No toe stepping; there is plenty of rooms for "off-topic" threads....and those of us still stuck at a job can live through your enjoyment!

EXACTLY!

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3784

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 4/6/2016, 5:50 pm

@sanderson wrote:Retirement topic is fine and it's in the right sub-forum.  We do tend to get off topic here . . .

That is perhaps tht reaching retirement age we have become such well-rounded personalities that we can talk on so many subjects and I know we are an interesting bunch.

The common thread we have is gardening. I doubt if any non-gardening person would really be interested. Or perhaps they would if they just ignored the gardening threads.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4504

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 4/6/2016, 6:08 pm

Whew! OK, I feel better. And actually gardening and retirement are kind of related, because once we retire we have all that extra time to enjoy gardening. And to lie in the hammock and admire the garden. And to dream about expanding the garden next year. See, gardening and retirement kind of go hand in hand. Very Happy

hammock gal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 4/6/2016, 6:41 pm

I just read your post in the Regional thread so I popped over to say Hi! again and I like the idea of a Retirement Thread.

My main thought about retirement is how on earth I managed to do a full time job for years and years and get my housework done and look after my DH?

Now I don't get the housework done and no longer look after my DH as he is long gone, no doubt waiting for me to join him over that Rainbow Bridge.  But I have told him to wait while I get all the things done that I need to do.

But I have interests that are new to me.  Number one is vegetable gardening and all it entails.  But seeing that I live in the Great White North that is limited to  about nine months of the year; but that's OK as I do like a break whatever I am interested in.  During this winter I have read a couple of interesting books and now I am putting into practice what I have learned. "Teaming with Microbes" and "Teaming with Nutrition" to make me a more knowledgeable gardener.

I have taken up vermiculture in a small way to provide for my own needs. LLM is the expert on that in this Forum. Search WORMS.

Allied to that I have  learned how to can foodstuff and I am still enjoying the fruits of my last year's harvest. In conjunction with dehydrating, freezing and eating. I love it when I am eating my own frozen veggies and berries when the prices in the stores are sky high. I am also able to share with friends who donate their food scraps to my compost pile. I also have a list of about six people who love the garlic I produce, they get them as Christmas gifts and they are very appreciative.

Lots more to talk about. Very Happy

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  milt48 on 4/7/2016, 1:26 am

My wife's  "honey do" list has gotten much larger. and is much harder for me to weasel out of since I retired,  Smile  and near impossible now that she retired.

No hammock time for me. No

milt48

Male Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 4/7/2016, 8:53 am

My advice to you, milt, is to do your honey's "to do" list with good grace and she will love you for ever more.

It will also make your life so much easier getting things done ASAP. But don't be a doormat,  make sure you get your fair share of hammock time.  Fair's fair.

I found that retirement has to be worked at so that both of you are happy. A bit like getting married in the first place.

Anyway, I think your comment is really tongue-in-cheek. Very Happy

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp on 4/7/2016, 10:15 am

Retirement? I have an activity calendar to tell me what to do today. I didn't have that when I worked full time. Between my wife and I it seems that calling her on the phone is the best way to talk because we hardly see each other. However, these last two weeks has been miserable. Only four more weeks until I can start doing all the stuff around the yard that needs done yesterday, trees trimmed, beds charged, weeds cleared, layers of tumbleweeds from all winter cleared etc. Going to the Dr. Monday and maybe I can talk him into a less restrictive regiment. No lifting more than 10 ibs., shoot I can't even feed the dogs . Rolling Eyes

johnp

Male Posts : 644

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milt48 on 4/7/2016, 10:28 am

You are right it was all tongue and cheek, and in fact I usually get the stuff done before she posts the note. Most of the stuff in the note is a reminder of things already discussed.

I was the class clown in high school and retained that trait throughout my life, so expect lots of tongue and cheek clowning. jocolor

Come July we will celebrate our 41st anniversary.

milt48

Male Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/7/2016, 1:01 pm

Oh yeah!  I love this thread idea!
My confusion though is that I thought 'Retirement' and 'Gardening' were synonyms, no?
thinking

No worries, HG.  We decided ages ago that the New England threads could go off topic of gardening, especially  when it's (grrrr) snowing and miserable out, as it has been lately.
lots o  <<< not me...I'm not smiling  Mad
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 4/7/2016, 3:29 pm

I agree with all of the above. Keeping busy is the way to go. And it's not like it's a chore to "keep busy"...it's just spending time doing all the things you love. And hopefully, by the time you get to retirement age, you've developed enough interests to fill your time. I think it's those people who don't have any interests, and don't know what to do with themselves, who run into trouble. Gardening has so many different aspects, that it can easily fill a lot of time, in all but the dead of winter, for those of us up north. Hey Cape Coddess, at least today it's rain instead of snow. I almost fell over when I saw the snow plow coming down my street the other day!

hammock gal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/14/2016, 12:29 am

Hi, Y'all! happy hi I finally got caught up enough to browse a little and found this thread. Hubby and I are both retired, married 54 years, and busier than ever. We bought a rural fixer-upper 3 years ago in  Redding, CA, with our daughter and son-in-law. We are a sanctuary for special needs animals (daughter's charity). So, first we had to cross-fence the property, build a barn, then a chicken coop, followed by covered porches, firewood storage, and now my wonderful new sfg garden. Who knows when we'll ever get around to remodeling the house -- I still don't have a dishwasher.  Rolling Eyes

When I'm not helping Hubby with the DIY projects, I help Mother Nature raise butterflies (Monarchs, Pipevine Swallowtails, & Gulf Fritillaries so far), knit like a mad fool (even my plant supports are hand knit), and do all the marketing, social media, & website design and maintenance for our daughter's charity (LoveYourPetExpo.com). I also run all the online ads for the thrift shop that goes along with the charity. Oh, I also paint rocks as gifts and yard art. flower

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1082

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 5/14/2016, 12:51 am

We retirees have been so busy this past month, country naturals, that no one has posted on this excellent thread for well over a month.

Thanks for bumping it up. Very Happy

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/14/2016, 8:26 am

I've been so busy that I am tired out. I need to come out of retirement and find a job so that I can get some rest.   Smile

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/14/2016, 9:30 am

@trolleydriver wrote:I've been so busy that I am tired out. I need to come out of retirement and find a job so that I can get some rest.   Smile

Haha! Understood! During gardening season, every Monday when I go back to work, I comment on how nice it is to be able to sit down for a while.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 5/14/2016, 9:39 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:I've been so busy that I am tired out. I need to come out of retirement and find a job so that I can get some rest.   Smile

Haha! Understood! During gardening season, every Monday when I go back to work, I comment on how nice it is to be able to sit down for a while.

CC
I need to come out of retirement so that I can get my housework done.  It seems that every retiree I know has the same problem, not enough time to do all that is needed to do. Very Happy

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/14/2016, 11:23 am

LOL! I guess I flushed out the vintage gardeners, here.  bounce The only reason I had time to post is because it jumped up over 90 here, yesterday, and I wasn't ready for it. I have to adjust my game plan for being stuck in the house when it's too hot to garden outside. OTOH, my plants are loving it and growing almost fast enough to watch. (Got a huge volunteer spaghetti squash blossom this am.) cheers

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1082

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum