Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 20:31

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 20:00

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 19:28

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 19:19

» Mid-South: December 2016
by yolos Today at 14:57

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 14:21

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 14:12

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 13:41

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 9:13

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 8:44

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 4:05

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 20:28

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 19:43

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 18:43

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 18:41

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 14:19

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:49

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:48

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Tue 6 Dec 2016 - 9:17

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:24

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:21

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 19:15

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 9:06

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Mon 5 Dec 2016 - 6:08

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Sun 4 Dec 2016 - 11:04

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Sun 4 Dec 2016 - 10:28

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 20:17

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 16:21

by trolleydriver Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 13:14

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 7:36

Google

Search SFG Forum

Adding volume to an old SFG bed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adding volume to an old SFG bed

Post  plantoid on Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 17:24

As my ANSFG beds were made up with re-hydrated fluffed up sterile compressed dehydrated coir waste that has decomposed far quicker than natural peat does my beds have needed topping up with similar or peat .

To make a topper up using fresh coir would cost me about £ 8 ( $ 11.00 USD ) per bed times 21 beds . As the pocket money Angel isn't due for a few more weeks it's been causing me gardeners  heartache. ( She gave me a couple of £ 100 a few days ago for stuff for my lathe & Man cupboard in general ) .

Last week I joined a reasonably local to me national organisation called " The Men's Shed " where any male who is at a loose end , recuperating from physical or mental problems , retirement , bereavement & simple carers loneliness etc.can come along for a cup of tea / coffee & a biscuit to escape the confines of their home environment for a few hours each Tuesday & Wednesday from 10,00 till 15.30 hrs each week . It's a successful charity thing that has been running for a couple of years up & down the UK .

At our group we do sessions of  wood work stuff , light mechanical , light  welding , gardening etc etc. for which we have had the necessary equipment given or on permanent loan from the local education authorities after they have upgraded things in the local schools ( we get their  old stuff )

In th gardening area there is a hundred foot long by 40 feet wide or so commercial grade pollytunnel C/W running water & power.  The main gardening area is inside the tunnel . It's a massive raised bed three feet high with walls made out of old car tyres wired together some 70 feet long by 20 feet wide.
 The only way to work it is to get some steps & walk all over the raised bed  which could be a bit dodgy for the likes of me on two crutches or any other infirm or unsteady person .

It used to be the local authorities plant raising center where they grew all the plants for parks , street  tubs , hanging baskets,  crematoriums & offices etc. The soil in the raised bed is commercially produced top of the range John Innes seed raising / potting grade soil. ( many thousands of £ 's / dollars worth ) .

As I was being shown round I spied a stack of dried out used but still filled commercially produce hanging basket that are put up as part of the spring & summer  street furniture each year in various villages / towns  within the county .  " Hmmm " , I said " Those spent baskets will make a great addition into the big bed for water retention & oxygenation "  .
You could have heard a pin drop .
" Naw , we don't use that muck , it's not real soil " , said the guy who is a retired ex council worker who spends a lot of time in the tunnel , " We are hoping to get a skip /dumpster in next week and get rid of it , wash the containers & sterilize them  , the council will refill them , we'll plant them up for the council , they will hang them off lamp posts etc and we'll go round towing a water bowser when needed to ensure that the sumps of the baskets& planters etc  are topped up with nutrient water ".  " We as a charity get paid for doing that , it's cheaper for the council & taxpayer as we don't have to have wages or pensions from them , plus it's great fun on a nice sunny day going round with the bowser  , water pump & hose or some hand-helds doing the watering.

They have to use virgin peat and factory lab produced  hydroponic chemical type nutrients because of the likelihood of water from the hanging baskets dripping on kids & adults if it's been raining hard for a few hours and the sumps of the baskets become full & start overflowing leachate .. There is no organic dung based manures or liquid fertilizers allowed....as it's  far too risky ..... they'd be sued left right & center at the drop of a handkerchief by some of the professional income generating brigade  .

"  Oh " said I , "What's the chance of me buying a couple of small trailer loads of the spent fillings from the baskets & planters "
 " They're yours for the taking , we won't have to hire the 8 cubic metre waste skip or pay to have it emptied " was the chorused reply .

So this morning with a bit of help of some of my new friends  I managed to get two  4 foot x 3.5foot  x 1.5 foot deep  small car trailer loads of that  last year spent compost mix from public space / amenity / street lamp post sited hanging baskets with the likelihood of another one or two trailer loads more to come next week .

All they have had in them is four or five  long trailing hanging basket annual plants. On pulling out the dead plants , each hanging basket yielded two three gallon buckets of  a pure peat content and a dessert spoon of those 1/8 th inch diameter round balls of slow release nutrient granules. Plus a big bonus 1 & 1/2 to 2 inch diameter flattish red corms in about 12 of the containers .  I don't know what they are yet  so I'll be planting them out on my flower beds to see what pokes it's nose up .

All in all it's been a hard , tiring but very successful day , because I've managed to get one of the two trailer loads cleaned of big roots & broken apart any mats of fine hair roots so the peat crumbles through my hands  .

The cleaned peat was then added to two raised veg beds to bulk them back up level with the top of the brickwork and also used as a two to three inch deep mulch layer on the front garden flower borders ( 30 x 2 foot wide's  worth ) .

plantoid

Male Posts : 3636

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Adding volume to an old SFG bed

Post  Kelejan on Tue 19 Apr 2016 - 21:28

How wonderful for you, Plantoid.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.

It is always amazing how true that is.  e.g. I often get given to me turkey and chicken carcasses.  I strip off the meat, then cook the remains so get more meat and  anything else that is edible, and lots of broth.  Mix the three together and I  get lots of meals for my little dog. At $2 per meal I often get $30 worth of meals from a large turkey for a little effort.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 1:24

@Kelejan wrote:How wonderful for you, Plantoid.  One man's trash is another man's treasure.
What a waste to have disposed of that material. So, so glad you were able to rescue it with the help of your friends. I think the Men's Shed is a great idea.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12277

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 2:22

Laughing  The Men's Shed idea is a poke in the eye for the rabid feminists ,   cheers It has been specifically set up as a medical benefit for males to allow escape from such creatures , Wink

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 4:46

Woo-Hoo! Great score!

And men DO need to get away from us every so often. I see it with DH's poker group. Some of the wives just pitch a fit when hubby wants to go play. Me? "Have fun! Go! Go!" (Give me a break too, lol!)

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3779

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 8:45

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Woo-Hoo!  Great score!

And men DO need to get away from us every so often.  I see it with DH's poker group.  Some of the wives just pitch a fit when hubby wants to go play.  Me?  "Have fun!  Go!  Go!"  (Give me a break too, lol!)

I agree with you, Marie. Very Happy

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4502

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:15

Amen.

If the men in the group are good guys, nothing wrong with a couple hours away from the little woman.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12277

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 10:26

@Kelejan wrote:

And men DO need to get away from us every so often.  I see it with DH's poker group.  Some of the wives just pitch a fit when hubby wants to go play.  Me?  "Have fun!  Go!  Go!"  (Give me a break too, lol!)

I always saw it as the women need to get away from the men every so often.

yolos

Female Posts : 2860

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere on Wed 20 Apr 2016 - 11:23

@yolos wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:

I always saw it as the women need to get away from the men every so often.
Perhaps it's mutual? We all need moment so organize our head and decompress.  For me it's when I do mundane yard work outside.  I do some of my best thinking mowing the lawn or weeding.

Plantoid, wow what a score you made!  It was interesting to read how careful your council is with regard to fertilizer/composts.  It equaled a nice haul for you.

Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Thu 21 Apr 2016 - 2:15

Evidently the great care not to use bacterially live / manured growing mediums in the public flower basket fillings is a UK wide public health one .

Apparently some years ago a Wayne & Waynetta put their year or so old kiddy in it's push chair under a dripping lamp post hanging basket , because they though it was funny to see it squirm to try and get away from the drips.

The poor little bugger developed & kept getting all manner of illnesses from bacteria normally only found in farmyards . It was only when the pushchair was tested that the source of the infections were discovered  & further investigations done to discover how it became so biologically active with large amounts of nasties.

plantoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 21:45

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum