Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Zucchini Tower
by RC3291 Today at 8:40 pm

» Healthy Meals
by RoOsTeR Today at 7:52 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 7:40 pm

» Compost ? -- Voorhees, NJ - Philly, PA
by sfg4uKim Today at 7:17 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 5:20 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 4:45 pm

» homemade vermicomposting/Worm Casting Compost Sifters
by mlpii66 Today at 4:15 pm

» New Green House
by RoOsTeR Today at 4:13 pm

» has55's R & D Journey;State of New Mexico research results. Understanding the delivery system of plant nutrients thru the fungal and bacteria ratio
by has55 Today at 1:28 pm

» Other Gardening Books!
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:44 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?
by Mimi2 Today at 12:15 pm

» Jaffa's garden - year one
by Mimi2 Today at 11:45 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 10:41 am

» Ants.
by sanderson Today at 3:17 am

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 12:04 am

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by mlpii66 Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» My first SFGs in 11 years
by phoeg Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» N & C Midwest: April 2017!
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» Kombucha
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Hello from SE Michigan
by Cindy G Yesterday at 8:14 pm

» Ideas needed
by mlpii66 Yesterday at 7:48 pm

» New England April 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:03 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by newbeone Yesterday at 2:15 pm

» Mustard Greens
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Double summer squash flower
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» Garden Progress in Georgia
by yolos Yesterday at 12:10 pm

» who has chickens
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:09 am

» Hello from Chino, CA (Zone 10a)
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:31 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turan in the Western Mountains

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Turan in the Western Mountains

Post  mlpii66 on 4/18/2017, 9:38 pm

I was a bit unclear about how I'm planning to use the green house cloth.  I want to use hoop houses over the planting beds then inside the hoop house make wickets and drape the cloth over the wickets, sort of a cloche under the plastic hoop house.  Elliot Coleman claims it raises up to 2 zones. I'm not from Missouri but I have to see for myself!
mlpii66

Male Posts : 46

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/18/2017, 9:41 pm

It is supposed to snow again in a couple days... Rolling Eyes 

I wonder is any carrots will germinate.  The peas are starting to, not out of the ground yet though.

I planted a bareroot Canadian Red Chokecherry this evening.  Some cool wet days will be good for it settling in.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan

Female Posts : 2084

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/18/2017, 10:01 pm

@mlpii66 wrote:I was a bit unclear about how I'm planning to use the green house cloth.  I want to use hoop houses over the planting beds then inside the hoop house make wickets and drape the cloth over the wickets, sort of a cloche under the plastic hoop house.  Elliot Coleman claims it raises up to 2 zones. I'm not from Missouri but I have to see for myself!
So you mean basically floating row covers, agribon, Reemay, etc.  I use those in the greenhouse and outdoor beds in the spring and fall.  Elliot manages to grow all winter using them I believe.  I do not know if I believe 2 whole zones though. Also  giant greenhouse like his has more thermal inertia than a bed with hoops over it.  The hard part of that for me is winter watering in the greenhouse.

For some reason greenhouse cloth made me think of that really tough stuff they lay over the ground so it is not muddy in commercial potting greenhouses.

Best of luck with your experiments~!

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/18/2017, 10:16 pm

@mlpii66 wrote:I was a bit unclear about how I'm planning to use the green house cloth.  I want to use hoop houses over the planting beds then inside the hoop house make wickets and drape the cloth over the wickets, sort of a cloche under the plastic hoop house.  Elliot Coleman claims it raises up to 2 zones. I'm not from Missouri but I have to see for myself!
I put Agribon-30 over zebra grass 'hoops', and added plastic directly over the top of that when it got to 15*F or below, and took it off when it got to 40*F so things didn't overheat. I don't know if I got 2 zones since I had no air gap between the plastic and fabric, but I'd call it successful and I'll be doing more this winter.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18737p100-winter-gardens-photos
Sometime after this^ photo everything took off. The lettuce I thought was dead even started growing. I've gotten several servings of mustard greens.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 863

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 on 4/18/2017, 10:26 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
I put Agribon-30 over zebra grass 'hoops', and added plastic directly over the top of that when it got to 15*F or below, and took it off when it got to 40*F so things didn't overheat. I don't know if I got 2 zones since I had no air gap between the plastic and fabric, but I'd call it successful and I'll be doing more this winter.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18737p100-winter-gardens-photos
Sometime after this^ photo everything took off. The lettuce I thought was dead even started growing. I've gotten several servings of mustard greens.
Nice!
mlpii66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mlpii66 on 4/18/2017, 10:28 pm

@Turan wrote:
So you mean basically floating row covers, agribon, Reemay, etc.  I use those in the greenhouse and outdoor beds in the spring and fall.  Elliot manages to grow all winter using them I believe.  I do not know if I believe 2 whole zones though. Also  giant greenhouse like his has more thermal inertia than a bed with hoops over it.  The hard part of that for me is winter watering in the greenhouse.

For some reason greenhouse cloth made me think of that really tough stuff they lay over the ground so it is not muddy in commercial potting greenhouses.

I've been trying to wrap my coconut around the winter watering problem too!  Suppose I should put the cart back behind the horse and get the greenhouse built first! Smile
mlpii66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/18/2017, 10:35 pm

Maybe plan so that there is a yard hydrant in the greenhouse?

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/18/2017, 11:51 pm

@mlpii66 wrote:
@Turan wrote:

I've been trying to wrap my coconut around the winter watering problem too!  Suppose I should put the cart back behind the horse and get the greenhouse built first! Smile
The plants spend a lot of the winter "on pause" (it's like an outdoor fresh greens refrigerator) so they aren't sweating/breathing much- and both the fabric and the plastic help trap humidity. Between those two, and the snow melt and spring rain coming though the fabric when there wasn't plastic on top, I didn't water during the winter.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 863

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 4/20/2017, 9:01 pm

I woke in the middle of the night thinking, "Why didn't I put a blanket over the new carrot bed? It will help it keep from drying out and moderate the temperatures."  So I did that in the morning.  I knew I had forgot something, just needed to sleep on this conversation about covers to remember what. Laughing

Turan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top