Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England Nov 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 8:53 am

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Today at 8:51 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 8:49 am

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:26 am

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2016

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/29/2016, 10:03 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@quiltbea wrote:I am happy to report my hummers are back.  I've had food out for them for a couple weeks and only saw them a few days ago.  I'm a Happy camper.
Doncha just love 'em? 

YES!  Mine were late this year, but it was a cold spring for us, you guys too.  They are fascinating, aerial acrobats!  So cute..... flower


Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/29/2016, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Flower, not LOL)
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  bigdogrock on 5/29/2016, 10:11 pm

Cool!, I replanted and all are coming up quickly. I put the new plantings up and out in the open, and no problems have come up. Rock
avatar
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412
Join date : 2016-04-17
Location : NH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  countrynaturals on 5/29/2016, 10:12 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@quiltbea wrote:I am happy to report my hummers are back.  I've had food out for them for a couple weeks and only saw them a few days ago.  I'm a Happy camper.
Doncha just love 'em? 

YES!  Mine were late this year, but it was a cold spring for us, you guys too.  They are fascinating, aerial acrobats!  So cute..... flower
We have one that stays all winter.  I love you
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/29/2016, 10:35 pm

Hardy fellow!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2016, 11:05 am

Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Marketmore cucumbers and tromboncino squash seeds have broken ground!
cheers
I'm a little surprised about the squash. They were such sad looking seeds I really didn't think anything would come from them.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/30/2016, 11:19 am

nice! Have you grown tromboncini before, CC? Folks on here talk about it but I have never had any.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2016, 11:48 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote: nice!  Have you grown tromboncini before, CC?  Folks on here talk about it but I have never had any.  

I tried last year for the first time outside the sfg but it didn't work for me. The fruits yellowed and fell off before the flowers even opened. Not sure if it's the seed or the soil, so I'm trying again.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  yolos on 5/30/2016, 12:14 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Marketmore cucumbers and tromboncino squash seeds have broken ground!
cheers
I'm a little surprised about the squash. They were such sad looking seeds I really didn't think anything would come from them.
I planted three different times.  5 seeds each time.  Only 1 out of 5 germinated each time.  I now have 3 Tromboncino squash plants.  I have two of these planted about two weeks apart due to the low germination.  I will have to find a spot for the last squash.  The other two are already planted in a large pot.  They are slow to get started compared to my Butternut and Butterbush.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2016, 1:39 pm

@yolos wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Marketmore cucumbers and tromboncino squash seeds have broken ground!
cheers
I'm a little surprised about the squash. They were such sad looking seeds I really didn't think anything would come from them.
I planted three different times.  5 seeds each time.  Only 1 out of 5 germinated each time.  I now have 3 Tromboncino squash plants.  I have two of these planted about two weeks apart due to the low germination.  I will have to find a spot for the last squash.  The other two are already planted in a large pot.  They are slow to get started compared to my Butternut and Butterbush.

Did you buy them off Amazon? That's where I got mine.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  yolos on 5/30/2016, 1:50 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Marketmore cucumbers and tromboncino squash seeds have broken ground!
cheers
I'm a little surprised about the squash. They were such sad looking seeds I really didn't think anything would come from them.
I planted three different times.  5 seeds each time.  Only 1 out of 5 germinated each time.  I now have 3 Tromboncino squash plants.  I have two of these planted about two weeks apart due to the low germination.  I will have to find a spot for the last squash.  The other two are already planted in a large pot.  They are slow to get started compared to my Butternut and Butterbush.

Did you buy them off Amazon? That's where I got mine.
No, I purchased them online from The Sample Seed Shop.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2016, 2:07 pm

I had about the same poor germination rate last  year when I planted about a dozen seeds and got 3 plants. So this year I planted the rest of the pack of about 20 seeds expecting, well, nothing actually. But it seems that I have one maybe two sprouts breaking ground. Unless they are acorns that squirrel has buried.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/30/2016, 6:08 pm

And So It Begins...

... I just buried three bags full of lobster tails/bodies and clam shells deep into my compost pile.

This may be a before-and-after photo session, this one being before the explosion, AKA Critters digging and spreading everything all over the hood.
Rolling Eyes
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/30/2016, 7:50 pm

Nice pile! Jerome Rodale would be proud....I am a huge Rodale supporter. I have one a third of that size, getting ready to populate the bottom of 4 containers...to save on MM.....
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/31/2016, 1:08 pm

Heads up, New England:

Set out traps for squash vine borer in thick
stemmed cucurbits such as squash or giant pumpkin
next week to monitor the arrival of this pest. SVB has
emerged earlier than the published models have estab-
lished at 900 GDD base 50°F (Table 2), so be sure to
start trapping early. Treatment threshold is 5 moths per
trap. Sources for traps and pheromone lures include
Gempler’s , Great Lakes IPM, and Trece. Heliothis
traps used for European corn borer and corn earworm
work best for this pest.
https://ag.umass.edu/sites/ag.umass.edu/files/newsletters/may_26_2016_vegetable_notes.pdf

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice pile!  Jerome Rodale would be proud.....
Aw, thanks.  It was even warm in the center even though I don't turn it anymore.
Hopefully this will be the only AFTER photo.  Not bad considering how many shells are actually buried in there:
Rolling Eyes
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/31/2016, 6:24 pm

I am getting ready to use my unfinished compost in my giant containers for the remaining melons and gifted maters. It can compost in the container on it's own schedule!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  sanderson on 6/1/2016, 3:46 am

Huge pile! Shocked

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  lyndeeloo on 6/1/2016, 7:22 am

Re: poor germination. I'm having a terrible time this year with green beans. I plant French filet. On my 3rd planting 2 inside and one outside 36 seeds each time out of 2 different packs of seeds. Only 5 plants to show for it so far. Going to buy more seed  if I can find it. I'm very disappointed since by now I would have a dozen squares of little plants. They are our favorite and we'd have them every night for dinner if we could.  Very Happy

On a brighter note we are eating strawberries, red romaine and radishes fresh from the garden this week.
avatar
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433
Join date : 2013-04-14
Location : Western Massachusetts Zone 5b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  quiltbea on 6/1/2016, 9:53 am

Lyndee......A couple years ago I planted French vericot beans and nothing came up.  Wrote to the nursery and they sent me more to replace them.  There was a bad batch evidently so they were obliging in replacing the seeds.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4693
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/1/2016, 10:17 am

@lyndeeloo wrote:Re: poor germination. I'm having a terrible time this year with green beans. I plant French filet. On my 3rd planting 2 inside and one outside 36 seeds each time out of 2 different packs of seeds. Only 5 plants to show for it so far. Going to buy more seed  if I can find it. I'm very disappointed since by now I would have a dozen squares of little plants. They are our favorite and we'd have them every night for dinner if we could.  Very Happy

On a brighter note we are eating strawberries, red romaine and radishes fresh from the garden this week.

Strawberries already??? Lucky you!  Very Happy  Thanks for reminding me that I need to cover mine or the critters will get them.

My direct barely sprouted cukes and squashes disappeared.  I think they are being eaten by pill bugs but not sure.  I need to sit out there and watch the somewhat eaten green bean sprouts once the pollen, winter moth worm poop and beards stop flying.  Hmm...maybe it's those horrible  worms...?  They decimated my apple tree already. And squirrel dug up a pepper start and a mallow.
Mad
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New England, May 2016

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum