Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by bigdogrock Today at 5:55 pm

» New England, December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 5:52 pm

» Live and learn
by Mikesgardn Today at 4:22 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 2:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:08 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 2:04 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Today at 2:01 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Today at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:39 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:30 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 12/2/2016, 2:59 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/2/2016, 1:13 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: May 2016!

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: May 2016!

Post  CitizenKate on 5/5/2016, 11:25 pm

@landarch wrote:@Kate...Nigel looks like he's already been busted.
Ha - yeah, I found some scratch marks in the tomato/pepper box. He can't seem to resist plunging his paws into that soft, fluffy Mel's Mix.  And he can bludgeon a plant to a pulp with that tail in a matter of seconds.  Mercy sakes alive!

@landarch wrote:
Yesterday evening I noticed I had about 10 or so squares of carrots that had not yet been thinned...so instead of pinching extras off I decided to try pulling and transplanting to fill in any gaps.
Good idea.  It bothers me, when direct-sowing, to see many spots where two plants come up, and several others where nothing comes up.  Seems like such a waste, on so many levels.  I'll be watching your other thread to see how that turns out.

@landarch wrote:Also getting ancy...thinking about taking half day off from work tomorrow and planting tomatoes and peppers before the weekend t-storms.
Looks like the greatest threat for severe weather on Mother's Day weekend is going to be to our west.  So far.  You know how that goes.  Rolling Eyes

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/6/2016, 6:39 pm

Finally had a nice day. Warmish. sunny. Seedlings outside for a sunbath! 4/6 of the Dara Wild Carrot are up, and maybe 1/8 of the Ruby Crunch....whatever.

Kate, I will send you some RC for Fall if you want to try your germination skills! It looks so pretty on the package!

I would like to get my hands on the Marvel of Four Seasons, it also is a beautiful plant! Maybe it is better behaved the Ruby Crunch!???

Sanderson, yeah, rub it in already! LOL! For now I have weekends, and the occasional mental health day!

Need to refer to my notes, but I think tomatoes can go in soon, and will do my flower planters this weekend.

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/6/2016, 9:45 pm

So my beautiful tomatoes were not-so-beautiful the last few days.... they didn't get any time to "harden off". They went in the ground today. They have had several hours to recover, most of them are responding nicely to the transplant. Tomorrow the hot peppers and cabbages are going in. I will also plant some peas, beets, spinach and lettuces. The lows are still in the 40's here; hopefully they'll bump up to the 50's soon. As for the raspberries - looks like I may have lost one or two, but the box will be full of plants anyway. Smile 

I cut over a pound of asparagus today. Smile And tomorrow, after garden work, I will be harvesting rhubarb and making a dessert for Mother's Day. The apple trees are full of blossoms as well as the antique pear tree that's totally hollow yet still putting out delicious fruit! It promises to be a stellar year! Very Happy

Suzy

Female Posts : 46

View user profile http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/6/2016, 11:06 pm

Suzy, you are on your way to warmer temps for sure! Wish I had rhubarb...mine got drowned over and over....

I too have an old pear tree from when my dad planted things, it usually gives me a few fruits. I am looking to re grow my native plantings.

I would LOVE an asparagus bed..... study

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate on 5/7/2016, 12:39 am

Suzy, sounds like you're off to a great start. Your spinach and lettuce will do fine at your current temperatures, no need to wait to plant them.

CitizenKate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/7/2016, 9:23 am

A quick peruse of the tomato bed revealed all have made it through the night! A few of them want support, but for the most part they are very happy! YAY!

I bought some chicken wire to make lids for my four beds - must do that before I plant. Looks like a cat was in one of the boxes during the night...  Mad

SR - my pear tree is amazing. It is totally hollow, less than 3" of viable structure all around, yet I get bushels and bushels of pears from it every year.  Since it is so old, we are assuming it is an heirloom, and have allowed one of the self-propagated babies to grow near by. It's 4' tall now, a nice, sturdy little tree.  Wink

The asparagus is wonderful.... that was the first thing we did when we bought this house in 1994, dug a 30 foot trench & planted 'gus. The rest of my garden has morphed over the years, but the asparagus (and the rhubarb we added to the end of the trench) have remained constant.

Suzy

Female Posts : 46

View user profile http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/7/2016, 9:30 am

@Suzy wrote:So my beautiful tomatoes were not-so-beautiful the last few days.... they didn't get any time to "harden off". They went in the ground today. They have had several hours to recover, most of them are responding nicely to the transplant. Tomorrow the hot peppers and cabbages are going in. I will also plant some peas, beets, spinach and lettuces. The lows are still in the 40's here; hopefully they'll bump up to the 50's soon.

Are you covering your tomatoes? Forties and fifties are pretty low since they weren't hardened off, at least in my area. I have to wait for a low of 60 before I can plant out my warm weather crops. Any earlier and I cover them with buckets at night.

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/7/2016, 2:25 pm

Yeah, I am waiting one more weekend before my maters are going out. I think I sun scaled my melons' cotyledons.....wah. Hope they set true leaves quickly so they make it! I was surprised because the sunflowers didn't get scalded, but the watermelons did. Meh.

I am getting ready between showers to pot up my marigolds into their forever homes...might need to get some potting soil because all the containers got so root bound last summer they are like a solid root thing. Wink

Weeding. Milkweed are up! Yay!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/8/2016, 11:08 am

Well, I am getting ready to soak my purple pole beans as soon as I figure out how many I am going to plant. Will get my trellises up. And put in some chard and a couple extra kale!

I think I am going to wait a week for the tomatoes and peppers. Just to be on the safe side. Also need to spend some quality time trying not to get poison ivy (futile) in my front perennial bed. And a run to the garden center for pine bark nuggets, birdseed, potting mix for flowers, peat, and some supplementary composts. Didn't get the marigolds in yesterday. Today!

Ribeyes on the grill for Mother's Day dinner!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/8/2016, 11:30 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Ribeyes on the grill for Mother's Day dinner!
Same here!   There will be 11 of us. Extended family BBQ at the in-laws.  Cool

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1060

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/8/2016, 5:03 pm

Nice! Just me and my kids still at home. My oldest is in Tennessee, so will miss him! He will be home end of month for kid sister's high school graduation.

Enjoy moms, kids, fur babies and fur mommies! I love you

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 5/9/2016, 1:16 pm

I did another small but slightly larger picking of salad greens and planted another square each of lettuce, carrot, and radish.  Everything previously planted is beginning to germinate.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/9/2016, 5:41 pm

nice soaking rains here in KC over the last day or so...planted about 60 tomatoes and 30 pepper plants before the rains hit on Mothers Day.  Need to get green beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber seeds, eggplant in the ground soon.

Empty squares available with last harvests of spinach and toy choy...great stir fry with pickings of sugar pea pods.

Interesting, I've been selling tomato and pepper plants for $2-$3 each to community gardeners, friends, etc...then realized people were paying me $2 for heads of lettuce at the community garden (I offered to let people pick for free)...the lettuce was so good people are compelled to leave me money in an envelope.  I may be on to something.

Another interesting experiment I have going is to plant asparagus in large cattle mineral tubs...with a ring of sugar ann peas around the edge...the spears are up 12" or so and the peas are starting to cling...wonder if one will win or it will be a funky spin on three sisters.  Pic maybe tonight.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/9/2016, 7:18 pm

Interesting, Herblover.  I pulled one each of my 3 types of radishes yesterday.  Sparkler was beautiful and nice bulb, white icicle was tasty but not ready, and the Chinese red meat was hard and no globe at all!  

Need to thin the turnips and carrots this week. Our weather is gonna be cool and wet according to sources!  I love love love carrots, so need to make sure aI have enough of those! I was so surprised at how much more tender and sweet they were than the store ones...why should I be surprised? Smile

Need to get a couple more potatoes in.  Loved the Yukon Gold that I grew last year.

Landarch, your are definitely onto something!  The lettuce that you grow is soooo much better than anything at the store, your ROI is for sure a winner there!  My sugar snaps are just getting near the trellis, I thought they would be way more producing by now.  Nope.  So those squares are committed.  At least until they mature? Peas, when will they be spent for me?

I really want to try kohlrabi, maybe in fall.  I like turnips/radishes/broc and it seems like a great veggie. Trying to figure out the timing of all the stuff!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/9/2016, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Multiple typos and editing not saving....)

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

pics

Post  landarch on 5/9/2016, 9:10 pm

Nice sunshine today after work to do some work at my home garden...planted more peppers (aristotle, king arthur, yolo wonder), smaller tomatoes (juliet, black cherry, indigo cherry drops, sunrise bumblebee), seeded green beans (bush lake 274), and cucumbers (muncher, homemade pickles, chelsea prize english, persian baby fingers).

Asparagus coming up through a ring of sugar ann peas...in a cattle mineral tub filled with MM.

grow bags filled with MM (peppers and eggplant)

garden helper with a runny nose (helping with compost)

lettuce wraps - Igloo lettuce forms a loose head with really cool slipper-shaped inner leaves (protected from hail damage).

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 5/10/2016, 1:33 pm

SR, I have grown kohlrabi and it did well.  I had the Purple and White 'Vienna' varieties.  The only reason I don't continue is that their leaves take a lot of air space and they commit squares for a long time.  I only have 2 4x4 beds so concentrate on faster turnover.

herblover

Female Posts : 526

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/10/2016, 6:45 pm

@herblover: I wondered. About that, thanks for the info on the space needs of kohlrabi. I might try one. But hate to buy a whole packet of seeds to plant one plant....

@landarch, hopefully we get your sun....my plants want a day outside. Bad!

Hopefully planting my new actual 4x4 this weekend! I am trying to plan the SFG better than just plopping old window boxes in the wettest part of the yard to hide a tree root hole....yeah, that's how I roll jocolor

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/10/2016, 7:01 pm

I've got some Early White Vienna Kohlrabi seedlings started and hope to try them in one of my SFG beds.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2171

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/10/2016, 8:28 pm

TD, I would be interested in what you think of the crop; worth the square footage? Is it 1/SF?

Because turnips and radishes are much more densely planted, they pay off IF they globe! ? !

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/11/2016, 8:43 am

Hail! (again)

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/11/2016, 10:04 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:TD, I would be interested in what you think of the crop; worth the square footage?  Is it 1/SF?

Because turnips and radishes are much more densely planted, they pay off IF they globe! ? !

SR ... the seed packet says the plants should be 6 inches apart so I will do 4 per square. There is also a warning not to plant them with strawberries, tomatoes or pole beans.

Interestingly, I sowed both broccoli and kohlrabi seeds in separate containers and the seedlings so far look identical to me. Good thing I labelled them.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2171

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/11/2016, 6:40 pm

@landarch: Nooooooooo! Mad

@TD; 4/SF sounds better to me! I feel the same way about the cucumber and squash seedlings....look a lot alike to me. I label EVERYTHING! Except I didn't labe the different varieties of sunflowers that I started because I did 20 starts of 10 different varieties, they will go in this weekend.

Nasturtiums and sunflowers and marigolds getting planted this weekend, along with my maters, remaining taters. Pulling most radishes. Thinning turnips and carrots and beets. A few Swiss chard to sew and a couple kale that I surprise really like!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/12/2016, 9:18 pm

Big T storm here right now! Did zero in garden today, however trying to germinate a couple melons that I lost due to cotyledons scalding...darn it. One is up, on heating pad under light in basement.

Spent day deep cleaning for graduation party....ouch. Back=pain. Cool

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cats-b-gone

Post  MrBooker on 5/13/2016, 6:19 am

Looks like a cat was in one of the boxes during the night...  Mad
Last month I had cats digging in my SFG. I sprinkled some Pine-Sol (on the ground) around the outer edge of my SFG.
No more cats.

MrBooker

Male Posts : 241

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/13/2016, 7:16 pm

@MrBooker wrote:
 Looks like a cat was in one of the boxes during the night...  Mad
Last month I had cats digging in my SFG. I sprinkled some Pine-Sol (on the ground) around the outer edge of my SFG.
No more cats.

Just the liquid Pine-Sol? Interesting! Good to know, thanks MrB!

Change in plans for the weekend "plant out" that quite frankly should have happened last weekend.... Darn it all:evil: It is getting down into the 30s both Saturday and Sunday overnight...my marigolds are REALLY oversized for their planters. Might pot them up anyways into wherever, a couple in planters, and a few in the ground. They are pretty hardened off.

Everything else can wait. Some of my tomatoes are getting pretty tipsy, need deeper soil and some actual nutrients!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:31 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum