Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 4:32 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 4:14 pm

» Now What do I do?
by sanderson Today at 4:11 pm

» Newbie composting questions
by sanderson Today at 4:03 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by trolleydriver Today at 4:03 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by landarch Today at 2:19 pm

» compost thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 9:23 am

» Home grown duh maters... I lack'em reel gud.. lol
by MrBooker Today at 8:58 am

» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by jimmy cee Today at 8:48 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by MrBooker Today at 8:47 am

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by MrBooker Today at 6:47 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 6:22 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 1:47 am

» Hello from San Antonio, Tx.
by sanderson Today at 12:53 am

» 17 Everyday Things You've Been Doing Wrong
by has55 Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 11:59 am

» Mid-South: October 2016
by yolos Yesterday at 10:36 am

» In between
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:33 pm

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson 9/28/2016, 11:26 am

» Easy and Fabulous Crockpot Marinara
by trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 11:03 am

» newbeone
by Cajun Cappy 9/28/2016, 8:59 am

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee 9/27/2016, 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP 9/27/2016, 9:37 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson 9/27/2016, 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn 9/27/2016, 8:11 am

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: May 2016!

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: May 2016!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/21/2016, 11:19 pm

Then you really need your readers, Iris scissors, and a snack so you don't thin ALL your seedlings!  lol! hand shaking, eyes blurry, big dumb scissors....recipe for disaster!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/21/2016, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finish thought)

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/22/2016, 5:03 pm

Readers, cheaters! Amazing what you can see when you put them on.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11707

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/22/2016, 7:14 pm

Official Statement:  My "To Do" lists are ridiculously unrealistic and overly ambitious.  Ow.

I had a show choir thing for my senior in the middle of today (of course, the first really decent day in a month) so 3 hours inside there and came home, threw mulch, put in a planter in the front perennial bed....OMG....

I am going to finish this glass of Chardonnay and go get the marigolds and nasturtiums in.  Next priority:  Sunflowers.  Really root bound.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 5/22/2016, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Syntax)

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/22/2016, 11:03 pm

I have a dear friend that wants to hang out on Tuesday, so she is going to come help me finish planting my garden tomorrow.  Very Happy  She's an apartment dweller, so no garden to play in. She will happily help me put in seeds and plantlets and create my bean trellis... so we can go shopping on Tuesday! WHEEEE!

Rain is forecast for the rest of the week, on and off... so the timing is perfect. 

Suzy

Female Posts : 46

View user profile http://www.northernglory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/22/2016, 11:27 pm

SUZY! I want to borrow your friend! Sounds like a lot of fun! You guys will be planting and sippin'.....good for you! Wheeeee! bounce sunny

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/24/2016, 6:44 pm

Warmer here. Good thing I got the summer plants in. And 20 sunflower seedlings, nasturtiums, and marigolds. And they survived the day, which I was worried because I didn't have a single sunflower make it last year! Seedlings are camouflaged to the squirrels and birds! Not just buried BIRDFOOD!

Hope to get some pictures of my new Official 4x4 in it's planted state!!!!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/25/2016, 10:21 pm

Hummingbird feeder cleaned. Dang ants...might try hanging the feeder from 10# test fishing line....that might give them a challenge!

Plants doing well. Need a drink. Will water in AM. Might rain, chance anyways. I am kinda excited about the container foray with my remaining plants! No harm, no foul.

Need to get out there and get some lettuce, it is going gangbusters! And some kale.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/25/2016, 10:56 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
Plants doing well.  Need a drink.  Will water in AM.  Might rain, chance anyways.  

RAIN!! Wonderful, blessed, abundant RAIN! Hope it makes it your way, SR - things are pretty unsettled in the atmosphere around here. I am very excited to see how my young plants respond to a really good drink.  Very Happy I had cracks in the soil of my asparagus bed. That 'gus is gonna go NUTS after the rain and 84 degree temps tomorrow. Guess it'll be on the menu over the holiday weekend.  Smile

Suzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/25/2016, 11:05 pm

@suzy--we need a quick drink! The farmers would say otherwise, our monthly total is normal. But I still haven't hooked the ridiculously long hose up to water.... Embarassed
A nice little rainy-poo would be perfect timing!

I love love love asparagus. Big plan is for Gus bed and strawberry bed.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/26/2016, 9:38 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
I love love love asparagus.  Big plan is for Gus bed and strawberry bed.  

I have had my asparagus bed for 22 years. Smile I'm not sure how it will do with the SFG method. The roots tend to work their way up to the surface over the years. We started with a trench 18" deep, then put in 6" of compost before laying the roots on that. Then we filled in the trench , watered well & waited. By the 3rd year we had spears to harvest, after that we have had plenty to satisfy our spring appetites! 

3/4" of rain for us. I haven't walked out to look at my plants, but what I can see from the house is so fun! I have 100' of hose to water with, and I don't like the chlorine for my plants, so I only give them what I call "survival water" - need to put out a rain barrel.

Suzy

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/26/2016, 12:15 pm

@Suzy wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:
I love love love asparagus.  Big plan is for Gus bed and strawberry bed.  

I have had my asparagus bed for 22 years. Smile I'm not sure how it will do with the SFG method. The roots tend to work their way up to the surface over the years. We started with a trench 18" deep, then put in 6" of compost before laying the roots on that. Then we filled in the trench , watered well & waited. By the 3rd year we had spears to harvest, after that we have had plenty to satisfy our spring appetites! 

3/4" of rain for us. I haven't walked out to look at my plants, but what I can see from the house is so fun! I have 100' of hose to water with, and I don't like the chlorine for my plants, so I only give them what I call "survival water" - need to put out a rain barrel.
I planted my asparagus bed this exact same way with 20 plants. We're on year 3 now and have been eating asparagus for about 3 weeks. How long do you eat them for? I didn't realize the roots come up to the surface eventually. What do you do with them?

I also don't like putting City water on my plants and so I fill buckets and let the chlorine evaporate overnight and use that water to water with. It's a royal pain! But what else can you do? I can't use a rain barrel because of the type of shingles I have. There is a filter you can attach to a garden hose that I've been thinking about getting. The reviews are mixed so I'm not sure how well it would work. Meanwhile I just keep telling myself that bucket watering is good exercise. And I love the results!

CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/26/2016, 1:31 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
I planted my asparagus bed this exact same way with 20 plants. We're on year 3 now and have been eating asparagus for about 3 weeks. How long do you eat them for? I didn't realize the roots come up to the surface eventually. What do you do with them?

I also don't like putting City water on my plants and so I fill buckets and let the chlorine evaporate overnight and use that water to water with. It's a royal pain! But what else can you do? I can't use a rain barrel because of the type of shingles I have. There is a filter you can attach to a garden hose that I've been thinking about getting. The reviews are mixed so I'm not sure how well it would work. Meanwhile I just keep telling myself that bucket watering is good exercise. And I love the results!

CC
CC - I harvest the asparagus until the stalks are really skinny. It doesn't happen all at once. But when the bulk of them are about half the diameter of a pencil, I just let it all go. The plants then go into nourishing the roots and putting out ferns... The female plants will put out berries that contain seeds. I haven't dug into my bed to see how the roots are doing; I'm thinking of starting another bed in a new location with fresh stock. When I started mine, I had read it would produce well for 20-25 years. It's still growing strong. Smile Happy eating! 

I'm impressed with your watering.... cyclops

Suzy

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 5/26/2016, 7:10 pm

rain, rain, rain, tornadoes, rain, more rain...I think my Mels Mix may be void of nutrients after all this...severe storms and flood warnings forecast for the next couple days.  Hopeully tomatoes and cukes don't get ravaged with disease.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/26/2016, 8:43 pm

I am impressed with the watering as well, CC! Jeesh! That is a free workout! I however, just got in from watering my plants with good old city water....they were parched. The new MM is pretty dry still. Don't have the right hose....had to keep running up to the fence and refilling the new watering can (which I really like but the flower keeps falling off!!!!). Duct tape.

Cannot find my old hose. May look at one of those lightweight retractable trendy ones. Anybody use the curly hose types? It would save me some chiropractor appointments. My gardens are 40 to 50 feet from my fence, probably 80 feet from the spigot.

We have no rain in the immediate forecast. Hence the watering! Stay safe all! I love you

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/27/2016, 3:31 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Cannot find my old hose.  May look at one of those lightweight retractable trendy ones.  Anybody use the curly hose types?  It would save me some chiropractor appointments.  My gardens are 40 to 50 feet from my fence, probably 80 feet from the spigot.
Tried 3 in a row. They kept blowing apart. Sad

Since the spigot is so far from the beds, have you thought about laying a line out to the bed area? It could be as cheap as a line of 1/2" black tubing or PVC buried 6". Install a Y-fitting on the spigot and proper conversion fittings for the tubing or PVC. ?? A small trencher would do the job.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/27/2016, 3:51 pm

@sanderson wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Cannot find my old hose.  May look at one of those lightweight retractable trendy ones.  Anybody use the curly hose types?  It would save me some chiropractor appointments.  My gardens are 40 to 50 feet from my fence, probably 80 feet from the spigot.
Tried 3 in a row.  They kept blowing apart.  Sad

Since the spigot is so far from the beds, have you thought about laying a line out to the bed area?  It could be as cheap as a line of 1/2" black tubing or PVC buried 6".  Install a Y-fitting on the spigot and proper conversion fittings for the tubing or PVC.  ??  A small trencher would do the job.

We just finished 3 grueling days of laying about 150 feet of it for 3 new spigots. Whew! My sfg now has it's very own water supply. YEE-HAH! cheers

I also tried 3 of those pocket hoses 3 years ago. I just checked again, today, and the folks at Ace said they have made some improvements. I was going to give it another chance, but they only had 50 footers and all I need is 25, so I'll stick to the same old stiff, unwieldy hose for a little while longer. Rolling Eyes

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 900

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/27/2016, 6:19 pm

Sanderson, honestly, I had never even thought of that! Not in my skill set however, but good thought. If I end up with more beds, it will be re-thought. Smile

CN, I have an Ace hardware in my area...maybe I will check out what they have. It would be the extension beyond the patio that would be the lightweight hose. The patio section isn't too bad because it isn't hugely long!

Hot here today, my car said 91! Glad I watered last night! I need to get out there and take some lettuces, kale, and my random spinach that was in my mesclun mix I believe! Then gotta get some flowers in this weekend. And a few containers for my remainders: melons, gifted maters. Still need to stake my maters too. Gonna use my curly cute sticks for a few, and good old wooden stakes for the rest!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Suzy on 5/27/2016, 6:54 pm

SR - because I have to haul out 100' of hose every time I water, I'm going to rig up a hose stand alongside the house and save 50' of hauling. My spigot is on the side of the house, the garden is in the back. I'm going to run 50' of hose along the house (lots of greenery to hide the hose) and into a hose stand with a faucet attached. Then I will run the second hose from there. It has to be easier than hauling out that 100' every time I need to water! May be easier than burying a waterline....

Suzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/27/2016, 6:58 pm

Good plan, Suzy. I get it. The hose I used last year (which I cannot find......) was so heavy that it was a chore, really. I am gonna look at those lightweight ones to take me out to the garden, and use a conventional hose from house to edge of patio. But I like your idea, your set-up for that to work! (Wish there was a fingers crossed smilie!) okay

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/27/2016, 7:06 pm

@Suzy wrote:SR - because I have to haul out 100' of hose every time I water, I'm going to rig up a hose stand alongside the house and save 50' of hauling. My spigot is on the side of the house, the garden is in the back. I'm going to run 50' of hose along the house (lots of greenery to hide the hose) and into a hose stand with a faucet attached. Then I will run the second hose from there. It has to be easier than hauling out that 100' every time I need to water! May be easier than burying a waterline....
That's what we do for our front yard.  The spigot is on the back of the house so we have a hose that runs along the back then side of the foundation to a hose holder near the front where we roll up the next 50 feet or so of hose. We have a shutoff valve on the end of the hose that allows us to add different attachments without having to run back to the spigot to turn the water off.

trolleydriver

Male Posts : 1740

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/27/2016, 9:59 pm

cheers yes!

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/27/2016, 11:08 pm

We had huge yards in Oregon, and even though it rained a lot most of the year, there was a 6 week period in mid-summer when it didn't rain at all. I had about 300' of gardens to water with a hose, spread out left, right, front, and back. It was a nightmare. What we did was install a 6-way hose connector. We hid hoses in every section of the property and used quick-release attachments on every one. All I had to do was turn on the faucets, carry a wand from one section to another and plug it in with the quick-release to do my watering. I think we used Y connectors at the spiggot somehow to release pressure from the various hoses so I didn't have to walk back and forth. This was 5 years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but it worked great. Cool

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 900

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/28/2016, 10:57 am

thinking New ideas

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/29/2016, 2:01 am

H+It's nice to have enough hose bibbs/spigots. Hoses are heavy, especially if you are not a little woman. Husband bought me a super duper, never kink hose and it is so heavy to reach everything int he back yard. That guaranteed not to kink part? It doesn't , until you have the hose all the way out and suddenly, no water. Yep, a kink back at the bibb. Our house cam with the standard 2 bibbs, one in the back and one at the main line to the house. DH installed 3 more, and mind you, all of the flower beds and SFG are on drip.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/29/2016, 12:01 pm

Yeah, I am looking at those lightweight coiling type "as seen on TV" hoses. No idea if they are any good, but my friend has one and she likes it. She has much less garden however.

Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum