Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Growing Strawberries in Charlotte
by Shihtzumama1 Today at 3:37 pm

» Comfrey
by llama momma Today at 3:23 pm

» Hello from Southeast Michigan!
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:09 pm

» Wick Irrigation
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:36 pm

» Watering System -- Finally!
by Maureen Gayle Today at 2:36 pm

» An excellent read for those with Diabetes
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:22 pm

» N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring
by countrynaturals Today at 12:41 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 12:27 pm

» Mirrors in the Garden
by RC3291 Today at 12:17 pm

» March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Today at 12:03 pm

» Medical Herbs
by Ginger Blue Today at 10:39 am

» Friend or foe?
by RC3291 Today at 10:22 am

» Growing zucchini in containers
by Robbomb116 Today at 10:06 am

» 1st SFG Plan - Any thoughts?
by herblover Today at 9:04 am

» Hello from Richmond
by sanderson Today at 3:36 am

» New from OK City
by sanderson Today at 3:18 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017
by sanderson Today at 3:05 am

» Hello all
by sanderson Today at 2:59 am

» Double layer weed cloth/landscape fabric?
by phoeg Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Dragon Fruit!
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:57 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Nomadic’s Diary - An Italian SFG Orto/Vegetable Garden
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:41 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:08 am

» Anyone in SE Idaho or near by?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:56 am

» Making Smoothies
by RoOsTeR Yesterday at 9:03 am

» It's Fertilizer Time; Fruit Trees Down South!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:10 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:08 am

» New For 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:39 am

» Hello from MN
by ralitaco 3/26/2017, 11:40 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

This plant has appeared

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/7/2016, 5:57 pm

This plant showed up this spring in one of the areas near my garden.  It is actually quite pretty but wonder if it is a native plant or just a plain weed.  It has not flowered yet but it looks like it might.  (Excuse the quake grass which is going to drive me crazy)

avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/7/2016, 8:40 pm

I'm thinking crown vetch (which is a weed, not a native plant):
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/crown-vetch
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 753
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/7/2016, 9:36 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I'm thinking crown vetch (which is a weed, not a native plant):
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/crown-vetch
I'm thinking you are correct.  Yuck.  How on earth did it get here?  I have never seen it in my location. Well, time for the roundup (yes, I said roundup).  I know that the highway department used it when they were finishing new roads to prevent erosion.  Well, that worked.  NOT

I live many miles from any main highway so I would think that some bird or another animal may have brought it here.  It is in only one place.  Sigh.  I have my work cut out for me.  I pray that the wind does not keep me from killing it.  It has not bloomed so far so that would very well be in my favor.  After I hit this batch I'm going for a long hike on my 10 acres.  UGH
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/7/2016, 10:17 pm

It is definitely crown vetch. Horribly invasive, un-kill able. I use Round up on it and it is still here after 11 years at this home. The previous owner, well-meaning (my brother LOL) planted it as a ground cover. Well, cover the ground it did, and still does. It is resistant to Round-Up, has roots of Herculean proportions, has travelled under my concrete from one part of the garden/patio area to the other, 30 to 40 feet....just unreal.

Let me know if you can kill it. It does have a purple flower. I still hate it. Evil or Very Mad
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4344
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 7:41 am

I am going to contact my friends who are landscape architects.  I know they will tell me what to do for sure.  One thing someone suggested was a flame thrower.  Laughing
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  Zmoore on 6/8/2016, 9:20 am

Around here (Virginia) and specifically in Mountain areas of Virginia Crownvetch is included in some seed mixtures, specifically for low maintenance steep slope areas, maybe about 10-15% of the total seed mixture.  It's pretty good stuff for erosion and sediment control of steep slope areas because of it's root system.  

Now, as to "how", the area in your photo does not look very steep sloped or low maintenance, but maybe there is a place nearby that has it growing?  Especially an "out of the way" area that has steep slopes and doesn't get mowed and maintained regularly or at least not like a high maintenance lawn?  Your bird theory is also possible.  Where did you get your mulch?  If it came from a chipping/ clean-up operation it's possible there was some crownvetch among brush and trees and some went through the chipper with the wood/brush and... WOLA!  seed in your mulch. 

Hopefully you have caught it early enough that you can "nip it in the bud" and get rid of it before it gets well established.  Good luck! 

Side note:
Funny thing about "invasive".  Here in Virginia there is currently a.... move?... trend?... proposed change in thinking... (not sure what word to use).  Anyway, the idea is Fescue is invasive.  The stuff we use on our lawns.  The stuff we have been using on our lawns and pastures for.... a very long time.  Turns out it's not "native" to Virginia, it was "imported", therefore it's invasive.  So, we should change what we use as grass to something "native".  Is there a point where a plant that is so widespread and used becomes native by default or not?  Where is the line drawn?  Our gardens are invasive as well then, right?  Most, if not all, of what you grow is not native to your area.  A lot of what we grow has been developed and cross pollinated and even genetically modified, so that it's not "native" anywhere.  Is it?
avatar
Zmoore

Male Posts : 223
Join date : 2015-04-14
Location : Virginia Zone 7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 9:41 am

@Zmoore wrote:Around here (Virginia) and specifically in Mountain areas of Virginia Crownvetch is included in some seed mixtures, specifically for low maintenance steep slope areas, maybe about 10-15% of the total seed mixture.  It's pretty good stuff for erosion and sediment control of steep slope areas because of it's root system.  

Now, as to "how", the area in your photo does not look very steep sloped or low maintenance, but maybe there is a place nearby that has it growing?  Especially an "out of the way" area that has steep slopes and doesn't get mowed and maintained regularly or at least not like a high maintenance lawn?  Your bird theory is also possible.  Where did you get your mulch?  If it came from a chipping/ clean-up operation it's possible there was some crownvetch among brush and trees and some went through the chipper with the wood/brush and... WOLA!  seed in your mulch. 

Hopefully you have caught it early enough that you can "nip it in the bud" and get rid of it before it gets well established.  Good luck! 

Side note:
Funny thing about "invasive".  Here in Virginia there is currently a.... move?... trend?... proposed change in thinking... (not sure what word to use).  Anyway, the idea is Fescue is invasive.  The stuff we use on our lawns.  The stuff we have been using on our lawns and pastures for.... a very long time.  Turns out it's not "native" to Virginia, it was "imported", therefore it's invasive.  So, we should change what we use as grass to something "native".  Is there a point where a plant that is so widespread and used becomes native by default or not?  Where is the line drawn?  Our gardens are invasive as well then, right?  Most, if not all, of what you grow is not native to your area.  A lot of what we grow has been developed and cross pollinated and even genetically modified, so that it's not "native" anywhere.  Is it?
You are so right.  This morning I was looking at the area and yes, that was some mulch that I had a delivered by a landscape company. (not the one I am going to ask for advice)  It was a bulk delivered in a truck.  Hmmmm  I thought that had to be the source. 

You are also right about the development of the "invasive" issue.  I remember what has been said in the past - "one man's weed is another man's wildflower".  But this particular "wild flower" is not going to be in my yard if I get the right advice form my friends in the landscape business.
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  landarch on 6/8/2016, 11:18 am

http://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/crown-vetch-control
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1127
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 9:56 pm

@landarch wrote:http://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/crown-vetch-control
Thanks.  I appreciate your help.  Tomorrow it will get its first dose.
avatar
greatgranny

Female Posts : 634
Join date : 2012-05-25
Location : Central Minnesota - Zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/8/2016, 10:21 pm

Very tenacious. Almost "Terminator" like.

avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4344
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum