Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:14 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:52 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 9:45 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Today at 9:08 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:04 am

» Amaranth
by dstack Today at 8:05 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:09 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by sanderson Today at 4:03 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 2:04 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by CapeCoddess 12/3/2016, 12:32 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 3:39 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 5:46 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

» Asia Region -Showcase of Gardens - Show Us Yours
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 2:14 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

This plant has appeared

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This plant has appeared

Post  greatgranny on 6/7/2016, 5:57 pm

This plant showed up this spring in one of the areas near my garden.  It is actually quite pretty but wonder if it is a native plant or just a plain weed.  It has not flowered yet but it looks like it might.  (Excuse the quake grass which is going to drive me crazy)

greatgranny

Female Posts : 634

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This plant has appeared

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/7/2016, 8:40 pm

I'm thinking crown vetch (which is a weed, not a native plant):
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/crown-vetch

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 458

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 6/7/2016, 9:36 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I'm thinking crown vetch (which is a weed, not a native plant):
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/crown-vetch
I'm thinking you are correct.  Yuck.  How on earth did it get here?  I have never seen it in my location. Well, time for the roundup (yes, I said roundup).  I know that the highway department used it when they were finishing new roads to prevent erosion.  Well, that worked.  NOT

I live many miles from any main highway so I would think that some bird or another animal may have brought it here.  It is in only one place.  Sigh.  I have my work cut out for me.  I pray that the wind does not keep me from killing it.  It has not bloomed so far so that would very well be in my favor.  After I hit this batch I'm going for a long hike on my 10 acres.  UGH

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/7/2016, 10:17 pm

It is definitely crown vetch. Horribly invasive, un-kill able. I use Round up on it and it is still here after 11 years at this home. The previous owner, well-meaning (my brother LOL) planted it as a ground cover. Well, cover the ground it did, and still does. It is resistant to Round-Up, has roots of Herculean proportions, has travelled under my concrete from one part of the garden/patio area to the other, 30 to 40 feet....just unreal.

Let me know if you can kill it. It does have a purple flower. I still hate it. Evil or Very Mad

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3783

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 7:41 am

I am going to contact my friends who are landscape architects.  I know they will tell me what to do for sure.  One thing someone suggested was a flame thrower.  Laughing

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore on 6/8/2016, 9:20 am

Around here (Virginia) and specifically in Mountain areas of Virginia Crownvetch is included in some seed mixtures, specifically for low maintenance steep slope areas, maybe about 10-15% of the total seed mixture.  It's pretty good stuff for erosion and sediment control of steep slope areas because of it's root system.  

Now, as to "how", the area in your photo does not look very steep sloped or low maintenance, but maybe there is a place nearby that has it growing?  Especially an "out of the way" area that has steep slopes and doesn't get mowed and maintained regularly or at least not like a high maintenance lawn?  Your bird theory is also possible.  Where did you get your mulch?  If it came from a chipping/ clean-up operation it's possible there was some crownvetch among brush and trees and some went through the chipper with the wood/brush and... WOLA!  seed in your mulch. 

Hopefully you have caught it early enough that you can "nip it in the bud" and get rid of it before it gets well established.  Good luck! 

Side note:
Funny thing about "invasive".  Here in Virginia there is currently a.... move?... trend?... proposed change in thinking... (not sure what word to use).  Anyway, the idea is Fescue is invasive.  The stuff we use on our lawns.  The stuff we have been using on our lawns and pastures for.... a very long time.  Turns out it's not "native" to Virginia, it was "imported", therefore it's invasive.  So, we should change what we use as grass to something "native".  Is there a point where a plant that is so widespread and used becomes native by default or not?  Where is the line drawn?  Our gardens are invasive as well then, right?  Most, if not all, of what you grow is not native to your area.  A lot of what we grow has been developed and cross pollinated and even genetically modified, so that it's not "native" anywhere.  Is it?

Zmoore

Male Posts : 217

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 9:41 am

@Zmoore wrote:Around here (Virginia) and specifically in Mountain areas of Virginia Crownvetch is included in some seed mixtures, specifically for low maintenance steep slope areas, maybe about 10-15% of the total seed mixture.  It's pretty good stuff for erosion and sediment control of steep slope areas because of it's root system.  

Now, as to "how", the area in your photo does not look very steep sloped or low maintenance, but maybe there is a place nearby that has it growing?  Especially an "out of the way" area that has steep slopes and doesn't get mowed and maintained regularly or at least not like a high maintenance lawn?  Your bird theory is also possible.  Where did you get your mulch?  If it came from a chipping/ clean-up operation it's possible there was some crownvetch among brush and trees and some went through the chipper with the wood/brush and... WOLA!  seed in your mulch. 

Hopefully you have caught it early enough that you can "nip it in the bud" and get rid of it before it gets well established.  Good luck! 

Side note:
Funny thing about "invasive".  Here in Virginia there is currently a.... move?... trend?... proposed change in thinking... (not sure what word to use).  Anyway, the idea is Fescue is invasive.  The stuff we use on our lawns.  The stuff we have been using on our lawns and pastures for.... a very long time.  Turns out it's not "native" to Virginia, it was "imported", therefore it's invasive.  So, we should change what we use as grass to something "native".  Is there a point where a plant that is so widespread and used becomes native by default or not?  Where is the line drawn?  Our gardens are invasive as well then, right?  Most, if not all, of what you grow is not native to your area.  A lot of what we grow has been developed and cross pollinated and even genetically modified, so that it's not "native" anywhere.  Is it?
You are so right.  This morning I was looking at the area and yes, that was some mulch that I had a delivered by a landscape company. (not the one I am going to ask for advice)  It was a bulk delivered in a truck.  Hmmmm  I thought that had to be the source. 

You are also right about the development of the "invasive" issue.  I remember what has been said in the past - "one man's weed is another man's wildflower".  But this particular "wild flower" is not going to be in my yard if I get the right advice form my friends in the landscape business.

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 6/8/2016, 11:18 am

http://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/crown-vetch-control

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny on 6/8/2016, 9:56 pm

@landarch wrote:http://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/crown-vetch-control
Thanks.  I appreciate your help.  Tomorrow it will get its first dose.

greatgranny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/8/2016, 10:21 pm

Very tenacious. Almost "Terminator" like.

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3783

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum