Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by MeghanSTL Today at 5:41 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 5:35 pm

» A spring day that was da pits.
by RC3291 Today at 5:32 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by AlwaysHotinFL Today at 4:07 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Today at 4:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:23 pm

» Kombucha
by RoOsTeR Today at 2:32 pm

» garden ready need better weather
by bigblue94 Today at 1:41 pm

» Double summer squash flower
by RC3291 Today at 12:49 pm

» N & C Midwest: April 2017!
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:48 pm

» Ideas needed
by camprn Today at 12:41 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Today at 10:56 am

» Spaghetti Squash Recipes
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:50 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by Turan Today at 10:13 am

» Store Bought Compost
by mlpii66 Today at 9:14 am

» Sprouting seeds
by camprn Today at 6:28 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:24 am

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie Today at 4:21 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 3:54 am

» Japanese Beetle Grub Insecticide
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» New England April 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» who has chickens
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 12:48 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:34 pm

» Geezer's 17
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:25 am

» Compost for Mel's Mix
by Banned Member Yesterday at 10:12 am

» Hullo from SW Ohio
by Banned Member Yesterday at 10:05 am

» Hello from SE Michigan
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:30 am

» Hello from Chino, CA (Zone 10a)
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:21 am

» Please comment on the plant layout for 2017
by greenthumbtobe 4/26/2017, 9:01 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  Thegulls on 6/10/2016, 5:17 pm

Hi, everyone.  We are excited to learn everything possible about emergency prep gardening...total newbies.  Thanks for all your efforts, and most importantly, sharing your hard-earned knowledge.
avatar
Thegulls

Female Posts : 1
Join date : 2016-06-10
Location : Zone 10a-SW FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  sanderson on 6/11/2016, 4:43 am

Hello to the Gulls, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here SFG is a good way to grow a lot of produce in a relatively small area. This Forum is loaded with information (Search Box and Home) from seed to growing to harvesting, from drying to canning to blanching for freezing. Check out this thread on food preparedness: http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t17882-emergency-preparation-gardening

Please share your journey, and we love photos!! Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13521
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/11/2016, 7:20 am

Hello Gulls! Welcome from Atlanta, GA!

You will certainly find that knowledge here... You might check out the archives section. Just put whatever you're looking for in the Search area. Chances are, you'll find it!
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4056
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 53
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  countrynaturals on 6/11/2016, 12:41 pm

@Thegulls wrote:Hi, everyone.  We are excited to learn everything possible about emergency prep gardening...total newbies.  Thanks for all your efforts, and most importantly, sharing your hard-earned knowledge.
happy hi happy hi Welcome, thegulls. I know nothing about emergency prep gardening, but I just watched The Martian, so your post did resonate. rofl Looking forward to following your adventures. In your zone, you can grow ANYTHING!  cheers
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1814
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  sanderson on 6/11/2016, 2:37 pm

While you can grow almost anything, including bananas and papaya, you should check in with the country extension to see what varieties are best suited for the climate and what season(s) they do best.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13521
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  countrynaturals on 6/11/2016, 3:27 pm

Embarassed I just looked up "emergency prep gardening." I never paid any attention to hybrid or heirloom on my seeds.  pale I wanted to start collecting my best-producing seeds this year. Now I'll have to go back and figure out if they're heirloom or not. Live and learn. Thanks for the eye-opener.  cyclops
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1814
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/11/2016, 10:14 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Embarassed I just looked up "emergency prep gardening." I never paid any attention to hybrid or heirloom on my seeds.  pale I wanted to start collecting my best-producing seeds this year. Now I'll have to go back and figure out if they're heirloom or not. Live and learn. Thanks for the eye-opener.  cyclops
Welcome, Gulls! I'm in central Pennsylvania. I have some garden knowledge, but I don't think any of it is specifically emergency prep related.. . 

Suz - Just so you don't discard varieties out of hand -- varieties labeled as "open-pollinated" should also breed true. All heirlooms are open-pollinated, but not all open-pollinated varieties have been around long enough to be considered heirloom.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 847
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  countrynaturals on 6/11/2016, 11:02 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Embarassed I just looked up "emergency prep gardening." I never paid any attention to hybrid or heirloom on my seeds.  pale I wanted to start collecting my best-producing seeds this year. Now I'll have to go back and figure out if they're heirloom or not. Live and learn. Thanks for the eye-opener.  cyclops
Suz - Just so you don't discard varieties out of hand -- varieties labeled as "open-pollinated" should also breed true. All heirlooms are open-pollinated, but not all open-pollinated varieties have been around long enough to be considered heirloom.
I won't discard any, but I will be disappointed if I can't collect seeds from my faves. Sad
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1814
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/11/2016, 11:57 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Embarassed I just looked up "emergency prep gardening." I never paid any attention to hybrid or heirloom on my seeds.  pale I wanted to start collecting my best-producing seeds this year. Now I'll have to go back and figure out if they're heirloom or not. Live and learn. Thanks for the eye-opener.  cyclops
Suz - Just so you don't discard varieties out of hand -- varieties labeled as "open-pollinated" should also breed true. All heirlooms are open-pollinated, but not all open-pollinated varieties have been around long enough to be considered heirloom.
I won't discard any, but I will be disappointed if I can't collect seeds from my faves.
You *can* collect seeds from hybrids. They are (usually) viable, not sterile like a mule, because it's (usually) different varieties of the same species being crossed.  BUT - the results probably won't be like the hybrid plant your grew in the first place. Some offspring may be like the hybrid parent, but many will be like the hybrid's parents in various ways. You can select the best offspring from those (most like whatever features you most appreciate about your faves), let them go to seed, and then do it again, (and again, etc.) and see if you can get to a consistent result.

The reason most people don't collect seeds from hybrids is that the results are a gamble, and most people want to know what they're getting/growing.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 847
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  countrynaturals on 6/12/2016, 12:54 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Embarassed I just looked up "emergency prep gardening." I never paid any attention to hybrid or heirloom on my seeds.  pale I wanted to start collecting my best-producing seeds this year. Now I'll have to go back and figure out if they're heirloom or not. Live and learn. Thanks for the eye-opener.  cyclops
Suz - Just so you don't discard varieties out of hand -- varieties labeled as "open-pollinated" should also breed true. All heirlooms are open-pollinated, but not all open-pollinated varieties have been around long enough to be considered heirloom.
I won't discard any, but I will be disappointed if I can't collect seeds from my faves.
You *can* collect seeds from hybrids. They are (usually) viable, not sterile like a mule, because it's (usually) different varieties of the same species being crossed.  BUT - the results probably won't be like the hybrid plant your grew in the first place. Some offspring may be like the hybrid parent, but many will be like the hybrid's parents in various ways. You can select the best offspring from those (most like whatever features you most appreciate about your faves), let them go to seed, and then do it again, (and again, etc.) and see if you can get to a consistent result.

The reason most people don't collect seeds from hybrids is that the results are a gamble, and most people want to know what they're getting/growing.
thanks
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1814
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from Cape Coral, FL - Zone 10a

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum