Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by PVPind Today at 12:13 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Today at 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn Today at 7:05 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Kelejan Today at 12:36 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Yesterday at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma 12/6/2016, 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess 12/6/2016, 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lily(?) in distress...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lily(?) in distress...

Post  Ginger Blue on 6/20/2016, 3:30 pm

There's a lily (I think), growing in the middle of my peonies. I hadn't paid attention to it for several days, and this morning discovered that something is decimating the leaves, but hasn't touched the bud.  Does any of this look familiar, and what can/should I do about it? Any input would be appreciated.

This is what's under one of the affected leaves (EWWWW!!!):

A potential culprit, but I don't know what kind of beetle it is:

Save

Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lily(?) in distress...

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/20/2016, 4:52 pm

Yes!  That's your culprit.  I think it's called a Red Lily Beetle.  
Don't know what that black stuff is though...gruesome.  Ew, when I enlarged that photo it looks like a bunch of caviar.

OH NO...cut those gobs in half.  There's more Lily beetle larvae under them!
https://www.google.com/search?q=red+lily+beetle+eggs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMpfOCv7fNAhUF9h4KHeU-CpAQsAQIMA&biw=1280&bih=640

and those little red dots are the eggs!
CC

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 6/20/2016, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/20/2016, 4:57 pm

Scarlet Lily Beetle - your second photo shows the larvae (who have frass - aka poop - on their backs to make themselves less appetizing; it works, eeeew) and your third photo shows an adult.

They are not native. You can handpick them into a small container of soapy water - for the adults, move the container underneath a resting beetle before attempting to nab it. These, and several other pest-y beetles, play dead when you try to grab them and may drop off the plant and plunk >>>
into the water in the process. Or they can let you grab them, and then you put them in the water anyhow. If you don't put the container underneath they drop into the undergrowth and are hard to find and hard to grab when they are on dirt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_lily_beetle

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 471

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 6/20/2016, 5:26 pm

affraid  Thanks guys.  I think I got woozy and passed out briefly, after reading your replies. Shocked 

No  Oh, those awful gooey globs... boogie woogie  

...I'll deal with them in the morning. happy turtle

Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 121

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/20/2016, 9:36 pm

This looks like the Reed Lily Beetle and I nearly lost all my Asiatic lilies to the wee beasties a few years ago. This is what I use to keep them under control and keep my lilies. I have to check the plants every few weeks.

http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/252/captain-jacks-deadbug-brew-conc

40 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Outlander is outstanding!

camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13984

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/20/2016, 10:55 pm

Wow. How horribly ingenius. Putting poop on your babies to camo them! Must work. Looked like bug poop. Good eye! Have fun in the morning! Lol

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3801

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/21/2016, 1:06 am

I have a 40 year strain of yellow cala lilies that get uniform holes across the width of the leaf. Can't find anything on Bing that looks like this unique pattern. Any ideas? Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/21/2016, 7:49 am

Canna Leaf Roller (which is the common name of two different species of caterpillars, one moth-to-be, one butterfly-to-be; same feeding style)

This has the best picture of the leaf damage that I could find quickly:
http://fragmentsofmylife-p.blogspot.com/2010/09/something-is-eating-my-canna.html

BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/21/2016, 10:49 am

That's it!! Perfect line of holes. Wouldn't you know it that when I want to take a photo, there was only one old leaf with holes and it was already decomposing. So, that's for the photo and identification.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12276

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 6/22/2016, 7:36 am

@camprn wrote:This looks like the Reed Lily Beetle and I nearly lost all my Asiatic lilies to the wee beasties a few years ago. This is what I use to keep them under control and keep my lilies. I have to check the plants every few weeks.

http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/252/captain-jacks-deadbug-brew-conc

Gee, I wish I had known about this when I had a red lily beetle infestation. I ended up getting rid of all my oriental lilies, and replacing them with day lilies. The day lilies, bless their hearts, are robust and cheerful, but oh, I miss that oriental lily fragrance! I had stargazers and Casa Blanca lilies, and I read that especially the Casa Blancas are attractive to night pollinators, like moths, and exude their strongest fragrance at night, to attract them. I used to work the evening shift, and when I'd come home at night, that strong lily fragrance would be wafting on the air. It was like heaven! If this Captain Jack stuff really works, maybe I can get my orientals back. At the time, I was told that there was no spray that was effective for the lily beetle, that they all had to be hand picked and squished, but that their larvae would fall off the leaves, and being brown, blend in with the soil, be impossible to see, and so escape to live another day, and make elimination all but impossible. I was still working then, and didn't have time to deal with all of that, so opted to switch to day lilies instead. But now I have hope...thanks for sharing that! Very Happy

hammock gal

Female Posts : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/23/2016, 9:04 pm

Beetles, are you an entomologist? You know a lot about a lot of bugs! LOL! Very helpful!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3801

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/24/2016, 12:44 am

I see entomologists as those who went to school and studied in that field, and perform experiments on/with insects, usually in non-natural settings. I find bugs fascinating, but I am not an entomologist.  I instead identify as a naturalist because I've spent a lot of time observing life in my backyards/gardens/parks. When I was young I had the Insects Golden Guide. When I found a bug, I'd look it up and learn what more I could about it. Now I prefer the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America -- and have the internet and can get more precise about who's who, and what they do. I've spent a lot of time browsing bugguide.net. Glad I can help!

BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/24/2016, 7:25 am

@hammock gal wrote:
@camprn wrote:This looks like the Reed Lily Beetle and I nearly lost all my Asiatic lilies to the wee beasties a few years ago. This is what I use to keep them under control and keep my lilies. I have to check the plants every few weeks.

Gee, I wish I had known about this when I had a red lily beetle infestation. I ended up getting rid of all my oriental lilies, and replacing them with day lilies. The day lilies, bless their hearts, are robust and cheerful, but oh, I miss that oriental lily fragrance! I had stargazers and Casa Blanca lilies, and I read that especially the Casa Blancas are attractive to night pollinators, like moths, and exude their strongest fragrance at night, to attract them. I used to work the evening shift, and when I'd come home at night, that strong lily fragrance would be wafting on the air. It was like heaven! If this Captain Jack stuff really works, maybe I can get my orientals back. At the time, I was told that there was no spray that was effective for the lily beetle, that they all had to be hand picked and squished, but that their larvae would fall off the leaves, and being brown, blend in with the soil, be impossible to see, and so escape to live another day, and make elimination all but impossible. I was still working then, and didn't have time to deal with all of that, so opted to switch to day lilies instead. But now I have hope...thanks for sharing that! Very Happy
Spinosad really does work.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

camprn

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/24/2016, 9:01 am

Camprn - My son in law set up bee hives right next to my garden.  He said spinosad was bad for the bees.  He is not experienced so what do you think of this.

yolos

Female Posts : 2859

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 6/25/2016, 7:15 am

@yolos wrote:Camprn - My son in law set up bee hives right next to my garden.  He said spinosad was bad for the bees.  He is noexperienced so what do you think of 
 spinodsad is an insecticide 
So yes it can harm all insects including bees. Read and follow the label directions . I don't use it on blooms. Also, I too am a beekeeper and very cautious about using insecticides.

camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum