Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Research Journey:free-The Gardener’s Guide TO PERFECT GARDEN SOIL
by has55 Today at 6:40 am

» Plantoid' s going into hospital ....
by plantoid Today at 4:45 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:01 am

» parsnips in square foot garden?
by sanderson Today at 2:57 am

» Tomato Mystery Mix
by sanderson Today at 2:53 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by Kelejan Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» What's a good type of lettuce to try for some one who doesn't like lettuce?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» The SFG Journey-Cover crops
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Oh no! My hibiscus moscheutos plant has some roots exposed!
by RJARPCGP Yesterday at 9:37 pm

» newbeone
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Tryst with my first DIY SFG
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» New England September 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» Compost
by camprn Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Hand Pollination ?
by camprn Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 8:33 pm

» The Research Journey:SELF-WATERING SALAD GARDEN COURSE
by has55 9/26/2016, 6:58 pm

» Admin back! Classic cars
by AtlantaMarie 9/26/2016, 5:38 pm

» Kale & Parsnip Question
by countrynaturals 9/26/2016, 3:09 pm

» compost thermometer
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 1:58 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson 9/26/2016, 12:37 pm

» EXPERIMENT: Tomatoes to Powder
by trolleydriver 9/26/2016, 11:00 am

» N&C Midwest: September 2016
by Scorpio Rising 9/26/2016, 9:29 am

» The Research Journey:what to plant now, fall gardening in Dallas-Ft worth
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:55 pm

» Medical Topic...may be helpful to some folk....
by sanderson 9/25/2016, 9:50 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 9:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!
by Scorpio Rising 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

» Another item for composting.
by llama momma 9/25/2016, 4:04 pm

» mulching
by dstack 9/25/2016, 12:27 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

compost tea vs no tea

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

compost tea vs no tea

Post  jimmy cee on 6/28/2016, 9:29 pm

The following photos show how same pepper plants added at the same time, using everything the same until 4 days ago when I did a drenching of fresh compost tea.
All pepper plants were doing their thing, slowly coming along...The 4 days ago when I watered I split the bed in half, poured compost tea on the outer 2 squares of this bed..A distinct amount of growth is shown between the sections.
See for yourself, proof is in the puddin ( compost )

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1803

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: compost tea vs no tea

Post  has55 on 6/29/2016, 2:25 am

"proof is in the puddin ( compost )"
great pictures. awesome!

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/29/2016, 10:42 am

Wow! Keep us posted.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/29/2016, 12:09 pm

How often will you water with the tea, Jimmy?
CC

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG on 6/29/2016, 2:42 pm

Has anyone done this with worm tea?

NanSFG

Female Posts : 63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 6/29/2016, 2:59 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:How often will you water with the tea, Jimmy?
CC
With the tea ??? when ever I have it and look at somewhere to put the tea I have made up. One can not overdo compost tea, it just keeps building up more bacteria for plants.
I do water my beds at the least 3 days apart, maybe 2 if it's real hot and dry.
Using my compost I find it stays moist down below.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 6/29/2016, 3:04 pm

@NanSFG wrote:Has anyone done this with worm tea?
Vermicompost..nothing absolutely nothing is better...According to Teaming with Microbes, Vermipost is the next best thing to ice cream in a sauna.
Worm casting has been through the cycle.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 6/30/2016, 9:14 am

Impressive comparison, impressive results!  Thanks for sharing this, Jimmy; it gives me something else to aspire to.

I wish I had everything it takes to do compost tea the right way, but unless Hubs and I win a lottery and a lot of things change quickly, this project will be on the shelf for a while.

In the meantime, rather than skipping the tea altogether, would it better than nothing if I just suspend some of my MM compost blend in a bucket of water, let it sit for a couple of days, then spray my plants with it?

I realize the results wouldn't be as impressive, but I just can't commit to the more complicated process at this time.

Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 104

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/30/2016, 12:27 pm

initially mel mixed is mostly sterile and need life to come into it. compost tea can inoculate the MM mix with soil web life or your homemade compost can be used.

This may give you a better idea of the cost. 
This is the cost to put together the tools for making compost tea.
aquarium pump that reasonably low cost and quiet. you can fine cheaper one for about $5.-7.00
Tom 60-100 Gallons Air Pump at walmart   - $18.00-21.10

Airline Tubing, 25' at walmart you need a few feet, so you need to cut it. $1.37

Aqua Culture Bubble Aquarium Stone, 1ct $1.67. you will need two of them. total-$ 2.74

paint striker bag for 5 gallon bucket at walmart for tying up the compost material $2.81 
                                    or 
                        old leg stockings- free

5 gallon bucket at walmart- $8.99

or free from restaurant, grocer stores or a old one at home.-free

Use homemade compost from material in the house,like food waste and from outside like your grass cuttings, for making compost tea- free.
vermicompost( worm poop) made at home with same above materials for making compost tea-free

approx total- $40.00 
I may have left something out. but this is basically it.

this will last many, many years

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore on 6/30/2016, 1:03 pm

@Ginger Blue:
  Yes, you can do the "simple brew" letting it soak 2-3 days.  You just may not get as much beneficial bacteria as with the aeration method.  Fresh Finished compost is recommended for both methods.  Too old and you don't have as much nutrients for the bacteria or to go directly into solution.  Unfinished and you risk harmful pathogens.  BUT, as HAS55 pointed out it's not VERY expensive to get a set up going.  

@HAS55:
Looks like you covered it pretty well to me.  Only thing I could think of was a lid for the 5 gal bucket and in my experience the cost of the bucket doesn't include the lid, razzin-frazzin-stupid... I digress. +$2 more for a lid.  Not really required for the set up to work, but does help keep the foam that can form on top down in the bucket, reducing foam overflow.  

If pump doesn't have 2 hose connections (one for each stone minimum), you'll need some hose tee or wye connections to split the hose to each stone.... 50 cents?  Well add a another dollar for connectors.

Zmoore

Male Posts : 213

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 6/30/2016, 1:26 pm

Thank you Zmoore and Has55.  I appreciate the parts and cost list. It sounds like there's great ROIC once the brewer is up and running.

Expense is just one of the factors I'm taking into consideration.  The "bigger" project will have to wait for a while, but this is good information to have when we're ready to execute.

thanks

Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 104

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/30/2016, 1:46 pm

@Ginger Blue wrote:Thank you Zmoore and Has55.  I appreciate the parts and cost list. It sounds like there's great ROIC once the brewer is up and running.

Expense is just one of the factors I'm taking into consideration.  The "bigger" project will have to wait for a while, but this is good information to have when we're ready to execute.

thanks
You're welcome Ginger Blue. Zmoore thanks for catching the strangler info I forgot. Well appreciated. 
Jimmy Cee, how you doing with disease and insect control with the tea? Enquirer wants to know:D

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG on 6/30/2016, 2:33 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:
Vermicompost..nothing absolutely nothing is better...According to Teaming with Microbes, Vermipost is the next best thing to ice cream in a sauna.

I have two working worm bins. The first bin in each one is not full yet.  The "tea" I was referring to was the liquid that I drain from the bottom of the bins.  Is that okay to use as fertilizer?  Does it need to be diluted?

NanSFG

Female Posts : 63

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 6/30/2016, 5:35 pm

@NanSFG wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote:

I have two working worm bins. The first bin in each one is not full yet.  The "tea" I was referring to was the liquid that I drain from the bottom of the bins.  Is that okay to use as fertilizer?  Does it need to be diluted?
 I'm going to suggest everyone who is really interested in making compost tea, and using leachette (which seems to be what folk consider the easy way) read this microbe book...before I read it I knew absolutely nothing about any of this..They do indicate that the leachette is virtually worthless if I am reading right.. Although there are many using it that swear by it.Again...the objective in compost tea is to increase microbe life, what nutrients are there will not be increased...
Sorry to say that this season is not my best as I am not able to submit much time to my garden....I even may need to let it go to pot..

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/30/2016, 5:43 pm

@jimmy cee wrote: 
Sorry to say that this season is not my best as I am not able to submit much time to my garden....I even may need to let it go to pot..
it's ok JC if it goes to pot. you can sell it to California and get your money back. Very Happy

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 6/30/2016, 10:04 pm

Laughing
@has55 wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote: 
it's ok JC if it goes to pot. you can sell it to California and get your money back.

Laughing   good one hass

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 7/1/2016, 1:11 am

Not so sure there would be a market in CA. We have hundreds if not thousands of pot growers with legal licenses. geek

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 11690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore on 7/1/2016, 8:23 am

@ Ginger Blue:
You inspired me Smile  I started a batch of tea last night to be ready for Saturday.  Gonna try to "inoculate" a couple of my beds that don;t seem to be doing well.  Just thought I'd grab a picture of it to show you fairly simple set up.  

This morning when I was leaving for work I noticed foam coming out of the top where I have a hole in it.  That's what I was talking about for the lid.  No lid and you might get some foam "cascading" down the side.  In my case wouldn't really hurt, it's set up out side.  Anyway, I opened it up to take a picture of the foam inside and it wasn't really foaming inside.  Either it was in process of dying down or it was just getting started.  
Anyway, just a simple look for you.

P.S.  See the orange electric cord running past my "brewing operation"?  Can you believe that my wife runs an electric cord out to the rabbit house and plugs in a fan for the rabbits?  A fan.... for rabbits... does she think the rabbit house is the Hilton?  Smile  She spoils animals rotten.

Zmoore

Male Posts : 213

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 7/1/2016, 9:12 pm

gave all those peppers shown above a crew cut

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 7/21/2016, 4:39 pm

Jimmy, how often are applying the compost tea. Your plants look great. I only put down two application. this was a mistake, because I'm fighting disease or insect pest, not sure. Going to brew it weekly starting this week. should have follow the book.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

tea

Post  johnmcc on 7/21/2016, 5:12 pm

@has55 wrote:Jimmy, how often are applying the compost tea. Your plants look great. I only put down two application. this was a mistake, because I'm fighting disease or insect pest, not sure. Going to brew it weekly starting this week. should have follow the book.

Does the compost tea help with pests/disease? I'm having a lot of issues with diseases. Some pest issues but mostly fungal diseases. I'm in Denton county so I'm not too far from you..

johnmcc

Male Posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 7/21/2016, 8:32 pm

Yes for diseases and pests according to the microbe book. I havent done the foliar spray yet as I'm concentrating on the roots. Tea may be used as often as desired. I am doing a five gallon bucket, diluting 50 / 50 with rain water.
I believe five gallons diluted will do 10 acres, yet it may be used direct...some amazing stuff it is.
The way it works on leaves is bacteria and fungi take up residence on the leaves, then allows nothing else to move in..

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 7/24/2016, 12:12 am

How often are you making compost tea? weekly?

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 7/24/2016, 1:51 am

@johnmcc wrote:
@has55 wrote:Jimmy, how often are applying the compost tea. Your plants look great. I only put down two application. this was a mistake, because I'm fighting disease or insect pest, not sure. Going to brew it weekly starting this week. should have follow the book.

Does the compost tea help with pests/disease? I'm having a lot of issues with diseases. Some pest issues but mostly fungal diseases. I'm in Denton county so I'm not too far from you..
johnmcc, according to the book "Teaming with Microbes" everything Jimmy Cee said is true, I only did two application since spring and I believe that was a mistake. I should have continued well into the summer.  tomatoes, cucumber and cantaloupes are struggling with either a pest or disease, I can't tell. But they are still producing and making new unaffected leaves. But my watermelon are doing well after I abandoned the mittlerder method for this fruit and let them grow as Sanderson suggested. It was too labored intensive cutting the vines shoots off. Maybe someone can tell me what going on with my sick plants. I sprayed my first application of compost tea for the month of july. I believe my last application was in may.

my watermelon

my troubled cucumber, tomatoes and cantaloupes. don't know if fungus or pest or both. cucumber and cantaloupes  may new leaves. 
cucumbers

cantaloupes

malabar spinach

tomatoes

eggplant leaves with some type of white dots

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 7/24/2016, 10:06 am

Check the undersides of the eggplant leaves with white spots. Look for spider mites/webbing/stickiness, or little brown oblong bugs (lace bugs). Both pests suck the juices out of areas of leaf, causing spots. My eggplant leaves have white spots, too, but I think the spots on mine are larger, and accompanied by holes -- so I think mine are from flea beetles that didn't gnaw all the way through all the time. I don't see any of the flea beetle holes on yours.

I'm wondering if the white patches on your cucumber are sun scald. I have some weird white spots on some of my cucumber leaves, and thinking about it, it's probably right where I could (and probably did) splash water filling the planter. Did your leaves get wet and then exposed to sun? (I'd imagine a sudden downpour followed by sun would count just as much as splashing while watering.) I'd expect more of a  stippled look, and less of a patches look, for spider mites on those.

The tomatoes look pretty stressed out, but I'm not good at diagnosing tomatoes. I'd give them some aspirin and blood meal. Are the Christmas ornaments to trick the birds into thinking "red things here aren't worth bothering with"? My first ripening big (non-cherry) tomato appears to have been given a single peck, and bird-netting isn't a route I want to take.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 396

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:12 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum