Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» California's Drought
by Kelejan Today at 23:40

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by sanderson Today at 22:16

» N & C Midwest; July 2017 !
by sanderson Today at 22:10

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?
by sanderson Today at 22:09

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 21:38

» Square footage
by RoOsTeR Today at 21:24

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Robbomb116 Today at 20:54

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by hammock gal Today at 17:15

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Today at 17:07

» Just Completed my Garden.....What Should I Plant NOW!
by stealthmayhem Today at 17:05

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson Today at 17:01

» Your favorite watermelon and pumpkin
by sanderson Today at 16:59

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Today at 16:50

» What Are These Little Guys?
by Fiz Today at 16:42

» who has chickens
by llama momma Today at 15:50

» Tornado Cake
by sanderson Today at 15:26

» Green Caterpillars
by trolleydriver Today at 14:07

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Today at 14:01

» New England July 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 13:27

» What I've learned this year
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:39

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by Cajun Cappy Today at 11:05

» Healthy Meals
by hammock gal Today at 10:12

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Today at 6:47

» Can I use a fabric pot for SFG?
by Fiz Yesterday at 20:48

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 19:25

» PVC Watering Grid.
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 18:02

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 13:17

» Chive Omelet
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:23

» Spots on rosemary/marigolds
by AlwaysHotinFL Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 14:27

» applying square foot gardening to container gardening! help!
by CapeCoddess Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 13:50

Google

Search SFG Forum

This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  MrBooker on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 6:49

But it's from the "International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences"

"Our recipe is two handfuls of pure worm castings in a five gallon bucket of water.  Let it steep for two days, and then strain through cheese cloth into a two gallon garden sprayer.  We then like to add one and a half aspirin tablets to the spray solution. Small amounts of aspirin sprayed on plants improve their growth, sometimes remarkably. Aspirin also triggers the plants’ natural defenses against harmful bacteria, fungi and viruses.  If you'd like to read one of the many studies done on aspirin (salicytic acid) and tomato plants, here is a scholarly article"


Last edited by camprn on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 8:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded ttle)
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 364
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  FeedMeSeeMore on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 7:20

Definitely worth a try. I'll try almost anything to make better tomatoes.
avatar
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 142
Join date : 2014-05-06
Location : Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  MrBooker on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 7:54

@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Definitely worth a try. I'll try almost anything to make better tomatoes.
I just started two 5 gallon buckets so We'll see. My tomatoes not doing as well as they have in the past. I hope this helps..
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 364
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  CapeCoddess on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 8:52

I use a baby aspirin in the planting hole the thwart early blight, and then blend one in water mid season the thwart late blight, per Mel in the Question and Answer book. Works great.
What a Face
And you just can't beat worm poo...it's like rocket fuel!
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6191
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  llama momma on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 19:28

@MrBooker wrote:But it's from the "International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences"

"Our recipe is two handfuls of pure worm castings in a five gallon bucket of water.  Let it steep for two days, and then strain through cheese cloth into a two gallon garden sprayer.  We then like to add one and a half aspirin tablets to the spray solution. Small amounts of aspirin sprayed on plants improve their growth, sometimes remarkably. Aspirin also triggers the plants’ natural defenses against harmful bacteria, fungi and viruses.  If you'd like to read one of the many studies done on aspirin (salicytic acid) and tomato plants, here is a scholarly article"

I'm going to try this.  The article was very interesting.   I planted tomatoes late and although everything has green fruit I'm curious to see if I can notice overall faster growth as the article suggested.  The worm castings has to make a big contribution  too.  Thanks MrBooker
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4822
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  countrynaturals on Thu 7 Jul 2016 - 21:36

So, does asperin count as "chemical fertilizer"?  Twisted Evil
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2170
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  No_Such_Reality on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 10:37

If I feed my tomatoes worm poo & aspirin, can I feed the tomatoes to my kid?

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 464
Join date : 2011-04-22
Location : Orange County, CA aka Disneyland or Sunset zone 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  camprn on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 10:40

@countrynaturals wrote:So, does asperin count as "chcemical fertilizer"?  Twisted Evil
It would be considered a treatment,  believe.

____________________________

41 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



avatar
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14165
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 54
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

View user profile http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

ASPIRIN Update

Post  MrBooker on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 11:23

@MrBooker wrote:
@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Definitely worth a try. I'll try almost anything to make better tomatoes.
I just started two 5 gallon buckets so We'll see. My tomatoes not doing as well as they have in the past. I hope this helps..
    I started two, 5 gallon buckets of worm poo compost tea yesterday with the aspirin. Today I noticed there was no froth in the buckets and FLIES were after it which tells me the micro organisms are not eating the molasses......  I THINK... lol
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 364
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  plantoid on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 14:09

@countrynaturals wrote:So, does asperin count as "chemical fertilizer"?  Twisted Evil


Last edited by plantoid on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 14:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicated)
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3699
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  plantoid on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 14:10

@plantoid wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:So, does asperin count as "chemical fertilizer"?  Twisted Evil
Chop up half a dozen long green  willow leaves and then rub them round with a mortar & pestle to get the juices out  add an egg cup of water  , grind a bit more .     Viola , you have about three aspirins worth of salacylic acid , aka aspirin and it is all natural .


New season willow shoots up to about 18 inches long , chopped fine &  boiled for five min then left to infuse 2 day will also give you a natural rooting hormone liquid as well & you can store it in the fridge for 10 or so days or freeze it till needed just shake the melted infusaion to get it mixed backup  & use within a week .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3699
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  has55 on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 15:30

@MrBooker wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:
@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Definitely worth a try. I'll try almost anything to make better tomatoes.
I just started two 5 gallon buckets so We'll see. My tomatoes not doing as well as they have in the past. I hope this helps..
    I started two, 5 gallon buckets of worm poo compost tea yesterday with the aspirin. Today I noticed there was no froth in the buckets and FLIES were after it which tells me the micro organisms are not eating the molasses......  I THINK... lol
you put the aspirin after dissolving in a glass or put in the sprayer , but it needs to dissolve unless it BC powder, then spray away.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1623
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  has55 on Fri 8 Jul 2016 - 18:20

@has55 wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:
@MrBooker wrote:
@FeedMeSeeMore wrote:Definitely worth a try. I'll try almost anything to make better tomatoes.
I just started two 5 gallon buckets so We'll see. My tomatoes not doing as well as they have in the past. I hope this helps..
    I started two, 5 gallon buckets of worm poo compost tea yesterday with the aspirin. Today I noticed there was no froth in the buckets and FLIES were after it which tells me the micro organisms are not eating the molasses......  I THINK... lol
you put the aspirin after dissolving in a glass or put in the sprayer , but it needs to dissolve unless it BC powder, then spray away.
 i went to get some BC powder and found it also contain caffeine  for faster delivery. so I got plain aspirin, uncoated, 325 mg.
avatar
has55

Posts : 1623
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This sounds too simple: Aspirin and tomato plants

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum