Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New Forum Feature
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: January 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:14 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 5:54 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Today at 5:46 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by yolos Today at 5:38 pm

» New England January 2017
by camprn Today at 5:29 pm

» Hi from Acworth GA
by runsamok Today at 4:37 pm

» Making Smoothies
by CapeCoddess Today at 4:05 pm

» 2017 Burpee seeds are already on display at HD
by MrBooker Today at 2:16 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing January 2017
by trolleydriver Today at 10:54 am

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by has55 Today at 3:32 am

» heirloom seed companies around a lot of the world
by ralitaco Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» What about ink on newspaper and cardboard for mulch?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:23 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» Green Ice Leaf Lettuce
by MrBooker Yesterday at 4:28 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:17 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:22 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:23 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:13 am

» 2017 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by ralitaco 1/17/2017, 11:23 pm

» Gardening Australia
by IrishDigger 1/17/2017, 10:01 pm

» Daikon radishes?
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:49 pm

» Anyone want walking onions??
by Scorpio Rising 1/17/2017, 9:22 pm

» How much to plant?
by trolleydriver 1/17/2017, 2:48 pm

» January: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 2:22 pm

» Feedback for my 2017 garden plan
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 2:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 1/17/2017, 1:49 pm

» Show us your kitchen compost container
by CapeCoddess 1/17/2017, 1:23 pm

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:34 pm

» Crop rotation
by sanderson 1/17/2017, 12:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 7/30/2016, 10:48 pm

All I have left of my spring sfg is carrots, beets, peppers and a few "brown tomato" plants which I will remove shortly.
My cukes were mostly deformed although I did get a few nice ones. The trellised watermelons and cantaloupe are still in fair shape.

Today I will plant my fall/winter crop. (Mostly from seed into my SFG). Planting carrots, beets, turnips, Collards, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, radish, chard and maybe some Kale.

I have hoops on two of my 4x4's and two of my 4x8's.  The hoops worked out great when I planted in early March this year. The last average frost date in my area is April 15th so I had an early start.
 
Anyone interested in fall/winter gardening.. Here's a good place to start.
http://www.motherofahubbard.com/category/winter-vegetable-gardening/

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  countrynaturals on 7/30/2016, 10:56 pm

@MrBooker wrote:Today I will plant my fall/winter crop. (Mostly from seed into my SFG). Planting carrots, beets, turnips, Collards, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, radish, chard and maybe some Kale.
I'm ready too -- carrots, turnips, kale, broccoli -- all go in tomorrow or the next day.

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1237
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/31/2016, 12:03 am

LETTUCES

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4024
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 7/31/2016, 7:27 am

Thanks Mr. Booker! I love reminders like this because I apparently got only mostly through creating my calendar plan for the year before getting distracted, and there are some plants and or successions that I don't have reminders for. thanks

I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.

My beet, turnip, rutabega, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, pak choy, collard, and eighth succession of lettuce seedlings are just coming up inside. My pre-sprouted peas will go out tomorrow.

The cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts (another one where I'm baffled by when to plant/expect harvest) and kale seedlings got transplanted a few days ago.

I haven't sown my winter radishes or spinach or mustard yet... soon! 

I got one of Eliot Coleman's books, referenced in the Planting Guide in the link you sent, but haven't had time to read through it all the way, much less incorporate it. I have some hours of sitting in a car ahead of me today and I should bring that book. (Yes, I can read in the car without ill effects, but can't work on my laptop for some reason.) Another thanks for giving me that thought! study

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 541
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 7/31/2016, 11:21 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Thanks Mr. Booker! I love reminders like this because I apparently got only mostly through creating my calendar plan for the year before getting distracted, and there are some plants and or successions that I don't have reminders for. thanks

I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.

My beet, turnip, rutabega, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, pak choy, collard, and eighth succession of lettuce seedlings are just coming up inside. My pre-sprouted peas will go out tomorrow.

The cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts (another one where I'm baffled by when to plant/expect harvest) and kale seedlings got transplanted a few days ago.

I haven't sown my winter radishes or spinach or mustard yet... soon! 

I got one of Eliot Coleman's books, referenced in the Planting Guide in the link you sent, but haven't had time to read through it all the way, much less incorporate it. I have some hours of sitting in a car ahead of me today and I should bring that book. (Yes, I can read in the car without ill effects, but can't work on my laptop for some reason.) Another thanks for giving me the reminder.
I live in zone 6a and my Carrots and beets did pretty well but I had them in a hoop house.


Here is a pic of my carrots still growing.


Still waiting for my Mexican Sunflowers to bloom.


I worked all day yesterday adding fresh MM to all of my beds and didnt get to plant. I think I will hold off a little longer since most of my sfg will be in a hoop house.


AHHhhhhhhh..... COMPOST.

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  sanderson on 7/31/2016, 11:43 am

Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile. Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM? MM is only added to the beds when they are first built. It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished. The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12653
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 7/31/2016, 12:37 pm

@sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile.  Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM?  MM is only added to the beds when they are first built.  It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished.  The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.
WOOPS... I added new MM.  I dont have any compost other than bagged. I have 5 or 6 different kinds plus Black Kow manure.  Should I mix the bagged compost and cow manure and add it.?

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  sanderson on 7/31/2016, 1:06 pm

This is just my take. Yes, It looks like you topped off the boxes. I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts. Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else?? Camp, if you have time?

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12653
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  yolos on 7/31/2016, 1:15 pm

@MrBooker wrote:
@sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker, That's a nice temp for your Berkeley compost pile.  Did you mean you added fresh compost to all the boxes or did you add new MM?  MM is only added to the beds when they are first built.  It's the compost that gets used up and needs to be replenished.  The peat moss and vermiculite are still there.
WOOPS... I added new MM.  I dont have any compost other than bagged. I have 5 or 6 different kinds plus Black Kow manure.  Should I mix the bagged compost and cow manure and add it.?
Using bagged compost to the boxes is ok.  It is what most of us did until we had time and room and learned to make our own compost.  I still add bagged compost to my finished homemade compost to add more nutrients to the compost.  As Camprn said in a previous thread, just grass, leaves and veggies is not sufficient.  I do not have access to any type of manure so I still buy bagged compost to round out my compost.

yolos

Female Posts : 2904
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 7/31/2016, 1:52 pm

@sanderson wrote:This is just my take.  Yes,  It looks like you topped off the boxes.  I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts.  Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else??  Camp, if you have time?
Sanderson.. Thanks. I think I will wait til I plant to remove the MM. Before I plant seeds or transplants, I'll just scoop out a hand full of the new MM and add the bagged compost. (I have 5 or 6 different kinds I'll mix up)
      OBTW:  Did you say "ANOTHER BED"?   HMMmmmm...... Reading my mind are you???? thinking

I only have room in the back yard for one more 4x8 before I start at the side of the house..lol

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  sanderson on 7/31/2016, 6:24 pm

I see room for at least three 4' x 4'! The only reason to do it now would be to let the microbes multiply and spread throughout the box. How I wish I had your room. A handful of mixed compost will probably not be enough. I know, I know. More work.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12653
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/31/2016, 6:52 pm

@sanderson wrote:This is just my take.  Yes,  It looks like you topped off the boxes.  I think it would be best to remove a couple inches and then add and mix in the composts.  Use the removed MM plus extra composts for another bed??

Any one else??  Camp, if you have time?
Yes, I agree, take a couple inches of your MM off, amend the beds with your compost, store the MM for next year, for a new bed, containers, whatever!    The compost is the fuel, the peat and vermiculite are the infrastructure!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4024
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  landarch on 7/31/2016, 7:38 pm

screened a bunch of compost this weekend for use this fall...I was lazy and didn't turn my bins as often as I should have...just too darn hot this year.

I am going to skip all cole crops like Broccoli and Cauliflower this fall...maybe buy a few green cabbage seedlings from a local garden center...start some chinese cabbage indoors in a day or two.  Need to start some buttercrunch lettuce as well. I'll be direct seeding more carrots, beets, Tatsoi, Toy Choy, etc....then spinach and garlic over winter.

landarch

Posts : 1124
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  sanderson on 7/31/2016, 8:57 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Yes, I agree, take a couple inches of your MM off, amend the beds with your compost, store the MM for next year, for a new bed, containers, whatever!    The compost is the fuel, the peat and vermiculite are the infrastructure!
Well said.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12653
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 8/1/2016, 4:09 pm

@MrBooker wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I was unsuccessful with fall carrots last year, and the spring carrots have hardly done anything this year (the ones that germinated anyhow) ... maybe I'll find an edge or something to try a few. I started my parsnips in spring, and I thought I was supposed to leave them until frost...I'll have to research if I can grow them enough before frost in my area to get enough growth before a freeze if I start another round now.
I live in zone 6a and my Carrots and beets did pretty well but I had them in a hoop house.
Here is a pic of my carrots still growing.


Still waiting for my Mexican Sunflowers to bloom.
One of my Mexican sunflowers is just peeking petals out today.

Here's what my 4-square of carrots look like, for comparison. They were sown 5/5, so giving ~10days for germination, they're at 78 days maturity. According to the seed packets, they should be done now.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 541
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/1/2016, 4:17 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Here's what my 4-square of carrots look like, for comparison. They were sown 5/5, so giving ~10days for germination, they're at 78 days maturity. According to the seed packets, they should be done now.

Yeah, my carrots had spotty spring germination like that, too, for the past 2 yrs. And then they are all finishing at different times. It's weird. I'm thinking it's time for new seed so am letting the strongest and most perfect go to seed to collect next year.

CC

CapeCoddess

Posts : 5439
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 60
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 8/1/2016, 7:15 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Here's what my 4-square of carrots look like, for comparison. They were sown 5/5, so giving ~10days for germination, they're at 78 days maturity. According to the seed packets, they should be done now.

Yeah, my carrots had spotty spring germination like that, too, for the past 2 yrs.  And then they are all finishing at different times.  It's weird.  I'm thinking it's time for new seed so am letting the strongest and most perfect go to seed to collect next year.
I just built my SFG this spring and of course, add fresh MM. I think I planted my carrots around the first week of April in a hoop house. I'm guessing the fresh MM and the hoop house had a lot to do with my success.
              
The carrots I planted in the 4x4x6 grew so long, they grew down to the weed barrier then grew horizontally. Some of them were so fat and woody I ran them through a food processor for the compost pile.

Soon I will be planting my fall/winter Cole crops. I'm going to try keeping the carrots in the ground all winter in the hoop houses.

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Dunkinjean on 8/2/2016, 8:38 pm

I just planted some fall crops yesterday and today:
Lettuce - 4 types - 1 row each in 2 boxes
Bush Beans - purple - 1 row in 1 box
Carrots - Dragon and Nante - 1 row in 1 box

That is all the room I have for now.

Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 674
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  MrBooker on 8/2/2016, 9:39 pm

@Dunkinjean wrote:I just planted some fall crops yesterday and today:
Lettuce - 4 types - 1 row each in 2 boxes
Bush Beans - purple - 1 row in 1 box
Carrots - Dragon and Nante - 1 row in 1 box

That is all the room I have for now.
I'm going to wait a week or so since I will have mine in hoop houses. Keep us posted plz and good luck.

MrBooker

Male Posts : 257
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 70
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  sanderson on 8/3/2016, 4:09 am

Hi Dunkinjean happy hi Good to see you

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 12653
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Dunkinjean on 8/3/2016, 5:42 pm

Sanderson - Thank you.

I have been away for awhile. Luckily I have the summer off from work.
I attended one wedding in June in NJ and then one wedding in July in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Also been visiting grandchildren in Washington, DC and Orchard Park, NY. Took two grandchildren from NY to visit with us for 1 week and returned them (lol-parents made us). Also received company from out of state a couple of times. We will be going out of state again in a few weeks to meet with both our sons and family in NY. 
All the while tending the gardens.
Hope all is well with everyone.

Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 674
Join date : 2010-05-05
Age : 62
Location : Central NJ - From 6A to 7A 2012

View user profile http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  AtlantaMarie on 8/4/2016, 7:35 am

Goodness, Dunkinjean... You've been busy! No wonder we haven't seen you!!

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 3913
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 53
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Fall/Winter SFG.. I'm READY..!!

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:26 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum