Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 10:46 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 10:43 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by trolleydriver Today at 10:30 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:52 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:43 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 9:41 pm

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:18 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by Kelejan Today at 5:19 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 4:51 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016?

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2016?

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2016, 12:08 pm

So lovely, TD! Those marigolds are outstanding! Amazing what a little water will do. Don't see much of that at my house. Rolling Eyes We are now in water restriction mode rather than voluntary.

Why is there twine hanging down from the birdhouse?

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/16/2016, 12:22 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
Why is there twine hanging down from the birdhouse?

It's actually some kind of ornamental/floral long dried grass strands that Mrs TD bought at Micheals.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 2195

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/16/2016, 4:26 pm

@sanderson wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:
Environment Canada says, 

"A significant widespread rainfall event is expected beginning Tuesday afternoon and ending late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning. . .  The system responsible for this rainfall is a slow-moving low pressure system from Texas.Oh, sure.  Blame it on Texas.
The Texas rain has arrived. Yikes! My eavestroughs are not handling it well. I had to go out and make a ditch to get some of the water away from the foundation at the front of the house. Hopefully we will not get water in the basement.

Update ... water was still accumulating at the foundation. I had to take out a ladder and climb up to see what was going on with the eavestrough.  It was blocked by leaves and pine needles at the downspout. Cleared that out and it was like a dam bursting. So far so good except I got a little wet in the process.

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/16/2016, 8:04 pm

Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12274

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/16/2016, 8:32 pm

Kelejan, sometimes it seems like I am the only person in the entire N&C Midwest too, but folks get busy, or bored, and just hang out!  Glad your little mishap with the stinging bug has resolved!  I am moderately allergic; got stung in my armpit a few years ago at work...Ooooooo yowee!   That thing was terrible, needed steroids and a breathing treatment in the ER!

We needed rain so badly here I didn't care about any inconvenience!

TD, nice garden for the Mrs!  Very pretty!

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3801

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/17/2016, 1:05 am

Your garden is so beautiful, Mr. & Mrs. TD.  It all seems to be under control.

Update on my insect sting.  I woke this morning and did not even think about it  for a while, then I realised I could completely close my fist and I had no inclination to scratch.  Tonight the red area is only on the top of my hand and part way round my wrist and a little up the inside of my arm. I think another couple of days I will forget about it completely.  My two hands are beginning to match once again. Thank goodness.

Today I have been able to start processing some of the apples from my tree.  Still lots more  where they come from. Prepared the garlic for planting some time in the future.  Still have yellow and green beans to process.

Mowed part of the lawn, too hot to finish it. Temperatures for the rest of the week the forecast is  mid-thirties C.  I have a three-week job of watering my friends pot plants that are in full sun.  At least it gives me the incentive to get in a daily walk.
Still missing my little guy of course, especially when I have walking to do.  Sigh!
Still watching too much Olympics, so it is a good job there are many sports I am not interested in.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4495

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/17/2016, 7:50 am

Kelejan ... Great to hear that your sting is healing up. You continue to be busy and full of energy.

We got about 50% of the rain that was forecast. Woke up to a sunny sky. It's going to be hot for the rest of the week. I need to mow the lawns, turn my compost, thin the new seedlings ...

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/17/2016, 4:02 pm

Lawns are beginning to turn brown now and people still continue to water them instead of letting them have their summer rest.  The green will return when cooler weather is here. My own lawn is still quite green with few brown areas due to the underlying rocks and that is with no watering at all. I am beginning to wonder if anyone will take notice of it and accuse me of watering too much,  then I realize that it cannot be seen from the road as my land is about four feet higher. 

I have caught up with processing the apples from my one tree.  Beans halfway prepared so should be done by today's end. Carrots I am going to can as some that I did last year taste delicious, only need to find the recipe. I think I pickled them and they went well as a salad topping or adding to a salad sandwich, giving it a bit of zest.

Compost heap heap needs some sifting done so that I can put it on the fall beds then cover them with wood chips, but I can start that later today when it is shady.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/19/2016, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/17/2016, 7:52 pm

@Kelejan wrote:Lawns are beginning to turn brown now and people still continue to water them instead of letting them have their summer rest.  The green will return when cooler weather is here. My own lawn is still quite green with few brown areas due to the underlying rocks and that is with no watering at all. I am beginning to wonder if anyone will take notice of it and accuse me of watering too much,  then I realize that it cannot be seen from the road as my land is about four feet higher. 
Lawn? Isn't that the green stuff that has to be watered and mowed? Thank goodness we don't have any of that.  Rolling Eyes We just got our water bill for last month -- $132. I'm sure it will be that bad next month, too. In the winter it's only $22 a month.

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1072

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/18/2016, 12:22 am

Country Naturals, this year our water is being metered, then next year we will be charged for our water.  I am taking careful note as we are getting three-monthly rate bills that show the water usage.
According to the first one we had, my water usage is about one-quarter of the average.
I will be interested in finding out what happens in the second period when gardens and lawns start to be watered.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/19/2016, 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/18/2016, 3:00 pm

@Kelejan wrote:I will be interested in finding out what happens in the second period when gardens and lawns start to be watered.
I can think of a whole lot of laws I'd love to see watered.  rofl (Sorry, Kel, I just couldn't let that one go. geek )

Our highest water bill last year was $100, with minimal watering. We didn't have a garden or lawn due to the drought, and we lost 2 redwoods from underwatering. This year we must be using twice as much, so I'm actually relieved it's "only" $132. Next month will probably be just as bad, too. Sad

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/19/2016, 12:10 am

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:I will be interested in finding out what happens in the second period when gardens and lawns start to be watered.
I can think of a whole lot of laws I'd love to see watered.  rofl (Sorry, Kel, I just couldn't let that one go. geek )

Our highest water bill last year was $100, with minimal watering. We didn't have a garden or lawn due to the drought, and we lost 2 redwoods from underwatering. This year we must be using twice as much, so I'm actually relieved it's "only" $132. Next month will probably be just as bad, too. Sad

I cheated, Country Naturals. Very Happy  (I'm laughing with you and at myself.)

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/19/2016, 1:43 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:

I cheated, Country Naturals. Very Happy  (I'm laughing with you and at myself.)
NO FAIR! You almost got a chance to get even. Just before hitting "send" I noticed that I had typed "draught" instead of "drought." We could have started a war of the typos.  Razz

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/20/2016, 10:51 am

This is nothing to do with SFG but I thought I would share a photo of a couple of avocado plants that we started from seed a few months ago.

And here are some Acorn Squash we harvested from our regular veggie garden.

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/20/2016, 11:23 am

Please, no typo wars, Country Naturals.  Very Happy  We all make typos but generally we can figure out what is meant. Some typos really do make me smile though.

TD. Nice avocado plants.  Do you think you will get any fruit off them?

I still have lots of catching up to do.  I never did get around to mowing the road side grass, canning the beans; now have more apples to process.

But, for the first time ever,I am getting some morning sunshine in my kitchen, that really uplifts my spirits.  The cedar hedge is gradually being brought under control, and my neighbour and friend Bruce, seems to want to complete the job.  So far we have taken three truckloads of wood and clippings to the city compost recycle dump.  When you think that I was given an off-the-cuff quote of about $2,000  from the people who took down my birch trees,  then I am very satisfied. The irony of it is that the hedge belongs to my neighbours who have renters in the place. But to get sunshine in my kitchen for the first time ever, is priceless. It will be even better during the winter, as their  huge oak tree and mature apple trees will lose their leaves and allow more light into my home.

I do my best to make use of the work Bruce is doing by helping as much as I can, and giving him regular cans of peaches and other fruit, etc., the fruits of my own labour that he appreciates.

Downside? In a way, as I will have to start painting that side of the house that no one could see before and I never got round to when I painted the house for the first time. Very Happy  Also it wil decrease the nesting area of birds, but also yellow-jackets etc that do not like me and fly at me with intent which is why I never finished painting the house.

My Black Krim tomatoes are pretty large and getting near to being ripe, I think.  How do you tell when these kinds of tomato are ripe?  Eat one?

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 8/20/2016, 12:22 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
My Black Krim tomatoes are pretty large and getting near to being ripe, I think.  How do you tell when these kinds of tomato are ripe?  Eat one?
I've been picking my Black Krims when they get a little soft to the touch and come off the vine with a little bit of a turn and pull -- no twisting or yanking. The ripe ones are a dark (not bright/not orangy) slightly-greenish red with barely green shoulders, and sometimes some green stripes on the bottom. Mine are big, too... but all of them are cracked. I'm barely keeping up with getting the ones with open cracks eaten before they rot. Some scabbed over and seem ok to sit on the counter for a few days. Hopefully I can get enough okay ones to do a little canning. For better or worse I accidentally snapped the tops off one of the plants this morning trying to get them strung. Mad I hadn't quite noticed they were growing again and they got away from me. Hopefully there's a sucker to take over, since I'm behind on de-suckering, too.

BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 470

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/20/2016, 1:17 pm

That is great news about the sunshine in your kitchen, Kelejan!  And a nice helpful neighbor to boot!

TD, I love acorn squash.  Have you grown them before?  How many per plant did you get?

Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 3801

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/20/2016, 1:54 pm

Thanks, Beetles, about the Black Krim.   It's all go, isn't it?

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/20/2016, 2:28 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:That is great news about the sunshine in your kitchen, Kelejan!  And a nice helpful neighbor to boot!

TD, I love acorn squash.  Have you grown them before?  How many per plant did you get?
SR ... This was the first time I've grown acorn squash. The plants have not been very productive averaging a grand total of one squash per plant. I like how they taste but I'm not sure I will grow them again due to the required space and small harvest.

Kelejan ... That is great that you have help from a neighbour and are opening up the space to allow the sunshine in.

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/21/2016, 7:18 am

Beetles, I tested my ripest looking Black Krim yesterday as you suggested.  It stays on the bush for now.  Lots more coming.

Later today I will be trimming off many of the leaves on my tomato bushes to let in some air and more sunshine.  The largest number of tomatoes I have been able to grow since I started.  I may even have enough to can this year.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/21/2016, 8:12 am

@Kelejan wrote:
TD. Nice avocado plants.  Do you think you will get any fruit off them?

I don't think they will develop fruit but we shall see.

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/21/2016, 1:11 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:SR ... This was the first time I've grown acorn squash. The plants have not been very productive averaging a grand total of one squash per plant. I like how they taste but I'm not sure I will grow them again due to the required space and small harvest.
Did you trellis them?  One per square?

@trolleydriver wrote:Kelejan ... That is great that you have help from a neighbour and are opening up the space to allow the sunshine in.
Indeed it is nice.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12274

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/21/2016, 1:17 pm

@sanderson wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:SR ... This was the first time I've grown acorn squash. The plants have not been very productive averaging a grand total of one squash per plant. I like how they taste but I'm not sure I will grow them again due to the required space and small harvest.
Did you trellis them?  One per square?

I grew the acorn squash in the regular (not SFG) garden.  I built up a little hill of soil about 18 inches across and had four plants around the top of the hill. I think the squash plants like to have dry feet, hence the use of a hill. At the beginning I made the top of the hill somewhat what saucer shaped to help the small plants with watering. I also put the plants inside plastic collars (cut from soda or juice bottles) to protect them in the early stages. I did not use a trellis ... just let them sprawl.

Ottawa, Canada

trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/22/2016, 1:40 pm

Below is what I wrote to TD when he mentioned that his own thread, "Second Year SFG in Canada" has amassed over 10,000 views since he started.

"Thank you, TD, for the added interest you have given to this thread of yours and to our Canadian thread in the Forum since you joined.

Because of you I did some digging of my own ref the Canadian thread.

When I started as Host the number of views in 2015 totaled 23,609.

The number at the end of July 2015 reached 13,378 and the end of July 2016 was 16,531,  an increase that you helped by your postings that attracted extra views.

My estimate for the total views of our Canadian thread by the end of 2016 is 28,000."

I am surprised that not too many of you look at the Home Page where lots of information is stored.  I am always finding things that I did not know before.

Anyway, enough studying of statistics, I am off to water my tomatoes so as they will not split due to inconsistent watering.  I am giving them lots of sun-warmed water every day.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/24/2016, 12:50 pm

Yesterday was one of those good days when I was finally able to get the grass mowed just before the rain pelted down for the rest of the day.  I also did not need to walk round to my friends' home and water her pot plants.

One thing about watering pot plants, I really do not like those that have lots of little openings and contain so little soil that they dry out in a flash.  My friend's pots are all quite large and deep and can get by with watering   every other day if the weather is not too hot.  It is just this one that has about eight little openings and if you miss one of them then it is curtains for the plant in that pot.

This year I have the most tomatoes that I have so far, and I am waiting for them to ripen so that I can make this Crock-pot Marinara Sauce  that  Llama Momma      posted the other day that sounds so easy to make.

Meanwhile I will get on with processing my apples.  The bears were around yesterday, walking down the road, according the the Telus people who are putting up the new fibre optic cable stuff.  One bear was following one of their employees and he was shouted at to alert him.  No harm done to human or bear, thank goodness. 

My own tree has on a few apples left on it, I go out every morning to clear the few windfalls.  My own worry is my neighbours tree that is situated the other side of our  cedar hedge, and that tree is loaded with apples that entice the bears; they will keep coming until tree is bare.  Yesterday morning there was bear scat in my driveway.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum