Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by countrynaturals Today at 5:09 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 5:05 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Today at 3:44 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by yolos Today at 3:19 pm

» New England Nov 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:15 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Today at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:20 am

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Tomato

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/9/2017, 8:55 am

Hammock Gal - I was trying to say: Close enough! Smile  

SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties. Yes, some of my tomatoes rotted on the vine this year. There was one - not sure which type - that I tried to pick and the outside came off, but the gooey inside gel and seeds was still attached to the stem! Eeeuw.

Oxheart has also been nice, though those didn't get as big as I expected...but they got in late due to poor planning (put them in after the peas that take the longest to mature instead of the quickest Mad I definitely didn't think that through!).

Which Brandywine do you have? I've read the name/type is a bit muddled. My plants have potato leaves, and the maters are (were...) pink and big - I'd guess a little over a pound a piece, but the rot and slugs got most of them. I salvaged part of one, and while the flavor was good, and the texture, but it wasn't mind-blowing. I'd heard they were pretty good, so I was wondering if it's the weather, or if I have the 'wrong' Brandywine - or just different tomato taste preferences.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1285
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  brianj555 on 9/9/2017, 10:03 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hammock Gal - I was trying to say: Close enough! Smile  

SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties. Yes, some of my tomatoes rotted on the vine this year. There was one - not sure which type - that I tried to pick and the outside came off, but the gooey inside gel and seeds was still attached to the stem! Eeeuw.

Oxheart has also been nice, though those didn't get as big as I expected...but they got in late due to poor planning (put them in after the peas that take the longest to mature instead of the quickest Mad I definitely didn't think that through!).

Which Brandywine do you have? I've read the name/type is a bit muddled. My plants have potato leaves, and the maters are (were...) pink and big - I'd guess a little over a pound a piece, but the rot and slugs got most of them. I salvaged part of one, and while the flavor was good, and the texture, but it wasn't mind-blowing. I'd heard they were pretty good, so I was wondering if it's the weather, or if I have the 'wrong' Brandywine - or just different tomato taste preferences.
I went out and got these after seeing your post!  Laughing I will be starting them in early February.
Any suggestions or advice?
avatar
brianj555

Male Posts : 318
Join date : 2017-08-22
Location : Zone 9 - Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/9/2017, 3:57 pm

@brianj555 wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties.
I went out and got these after seeing your post!  Laughing I will be starting them in early February.
Any suggestions or advice?
I was about to object to February being too soon, but you're 3-4 zones from me, and can probably get your tomatoes out much earlier. I had no problem starting this variety; start as you would any other tomato - for me that's indoors, under grow lights, with light bottom heat. I soaked my seeds for 2 hours before sowing them, but it's not a necessary step ...and it makes them slippery and hard to work with.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1285
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  Turan on 9/9/2017, 6:16 pm

My favorite Big Tomato is Cherokee Purple. They are just the tastiest tomato ever. Second is Big Beef. Third is Cour di Bue, an Italian heirloom oxheart, it is a sauce tomato and excells when roasted and canned.
I did once try Pink Brandywine. It was not very prolific and the taste was 'meh'. I was not sure if it was the year, my yard, me personally, or what.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2312
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  sanderson on 9/10/2017, 10:10 pm

Brian, I'm Zone 9, a little north of your latitude. I start summer seedlings indoors in late Feb-early March. We had a long, rainy, cool spring so I was late planting out the seedlings. Some years, the spring is warm and the ground is warm earlier. It's hard to pick the perfect date seed because Mother Nature is a prankster. Just be prepared to up-pot and take them out on warmer, sunny days if you can't plant them when you thought you could. Early Feb may be the better date for you to start the seedlings.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14946
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  brianj555 on 9/11/2017, 6:53 pm

@sanderson wrote:Brian,  I'm Zone 9, a little north of your latitude.  I start summer seedlings indoors in late Feb-early March.  We had a long, rainy, cool spring so I was late planting out the seedlings.  Some years, the spring is warm and the ground is warm earlier.  It's hard to pick the perfect date seed because Mother Nature is a prankster.  Just be prepared to up-pot and take them out on warmer, sunny days if you can't plant them when you thought you could.  Early Feb may be the better date for you to start the seedlings.
Yeah.  According to my extension, projected last frost date is 3/17.  ( I'm 9b coastal)I guess I might need to consider starting the tomatoes a little later just in case.  I will have 80 squares ready and will be using about 20 or 25 (at least ) for tomatoes.  My grandfather, who passed away a few years ago, planted a substantial tomato crop (tradition row) and basically kept the whole family (20+ people locally) in garden fresh tomatoes for about three months each year.  We haven't had anyone growing anything since he passed and I have become the sole Gardener.  I hope to be able to grow enough to share , if only a little here and there.  Anyway, I said all that to say that since I will have so many plants, I really don't want to have to do a lot of up potting and moving in and out as that would become cumbersome.  So I guess if I start them a little later, the need for up potting and the chance of the transplants dying from a late frost will be reduced.
avatar
brianj555

Male Posts : 318
Join date : 2017-08-22
Location : Zone 9 - Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/11/2017, 8:19 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@brianj555 wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties.
I went out and got these after seeing your post!  Laughing I will be starting them in early February.
Any suggestions or advice?
I was about to object to February being too soon, but you're 3-4 zones from me, and can probably get your tomatoes out much earlier. I had no problem starting this variety; start as you would any other tomato - for me that's indoors, under grow lights, with light bottom heat. I soaked my seeds for 2 hours before sowing them, but it's not a necessary step ...and it makes them slippery and hard to work with.
You are gonna fall in love.....but timing.  Ask a person from your region!  The best BLT in your life!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5463
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Tomato

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum