Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
by sanderson Today at 3:47 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by sanderson Today at 3:15 am

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson Today at 2:34 am

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Today at 2:14 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:25 pm

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:58 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» New England, December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Facebook - SFG Foundation postings
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Anyone out there tried crosne tubers?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:52 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:21 am

» Mid-South: December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:40 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:16 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 12/8/2016, 5:21 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 12/8/2016, 12:13 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/8/2016, 11:44 am

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by camprn 12/8/2016, 7:05 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy 12/6/2016, 12:17 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Leaf Mold vs. Compost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leaf Mold vs. Compost

Post  sfg4uKim on 8/14/2016, 3:03 pm

Thought this might be handy for everyone with Autumn creeping up on us.

You're probably familiar with Composting, but putting too many leaves in your compost pile is not a great idea.

Instead, how about making leaf mold?

Here's a great TEDx talk by Mel's friend Mike McGrath. I guarantee you'll start stealing your neighbors' leaves this year: LEAF MOLD - MIKE McGRATH TEDx TALK

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1875

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Leaf Mold vs. Compost

Post  sanderson on 8/14/2016, 7:40 pm

Good video.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12295

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 8/14/2016, 11:05 pm

I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/15/2016, 1:37 am

@landarch wrote:I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.
I also have oak leaves. I read that they have all the necessary minerals, but not all the nitrogen we need, so we should add manure (which I have plenty of -- horses). It also said that oak leaves are acidy, so we need to add garden lime for non-acid loving plants. We're getting a chipper/shredder, so I'm gonna try running the aged manure and whole oak leaves through and see if I can get "instant compost" out of it. Cool

countrynaturals

Female Posts : 1084

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/15/2016, 7:47 am

@countrynaturals wrote:
@landarch wrote:I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.
I also have oak leaves. I read that they have all the necessary minerals, but not all the nitrogen we need, so we should add manure (which I have plenty of -- horses). It also said that oak leaves are acidy, so we need to add garden lime for non-acid loving plants. We're getting a chipper/shredder, so I'm gonna try running the aged manure and whole oak leaves through and see if I can get "instant compost" out of it. Cool
I use live oak leaves and running them thru a chipper helps but they still take forever to decompose in a normal compost pile.  I tried making Leaf Mold with them but after 1 year I really couldn't tell any difference maybe except they were a darker color.  The leaves at the bottom were good enough to use as mulch.  It helped when I made sure they were moist and also turned every once in a while.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/15/2016, 11:29 am

@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
I use live oak leaves and running them thru a chipper helps but they still take forever to decompose in a normal compost pile.  I tried making Leaf Mold with them but after 1 year I really couldn't tell any difference maybe except they were a darker color.  The leaves at the bottom were good enough to use as mulch.  It helped when I made sure they were moist and also turned every once in a while.
Hmm, so what I need is a giant coffee grinder? I'm sure I could find an old food processor at a yard sale, but that would be very labor intensive. We have a cement mixer, but I'm not ready for a divorce, yet. affraid There must be something I could do to pulverize these puppies. thinking

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 8/15/2016, 12:47 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
Hmm, so what I need is a giant coffee grinder? I'm sure I could find an old food processor at a yard sale, but that would be very labor intensive. We have a cement mixer, but I'm not ready for a divorce, yet. affraid There must be something I could do to pulverize these puppies. thinking
Lawn mower.  I set up a sort of corral and mowed over them a few times.  Then I got smart and used my lawn mower with a bag attachment.  I have also used one of those leaf blowers that you can convert into a leaf vacumn that sucks up the leaves and shreds them.  I have also used a string trimmer with leaves inside a garbage can.  And last but not least, a gas powered leaf shredder.

yolos

Female Posts : 2861

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/15/2016, 2:16 pm

Lawn mower with bag is good, especially if you do it twice.  Or cheap-o chipper/shredder like Jimmy and I have.  Just remember that oak may take over a year, won't be ready for next spring, or next fall, even with horse pooh.  Water and turn occasionally and have patience.  Meanwhile, use other leaves for compost for next spring. I need a better photo of the chipper/shredder.

sanderson

Forum Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 8/15/2016, 3:16 pm

I already have four neighbours lined up to give me their leaves this fall. Just in my  evening walk area that takes 15 minutes.  (I go round twice so that is 30 minutes walk each night,) I do not need to ask them, just sweep up when ready.  Most likely they will sweep up for and bag them.  I can take my shopping trolley and gather three bags full at a time whenever I feel like it. 

So far one oak tree, one maple tree and another two trees that have small leaves.  Plus my own apple, cherry and birch trees.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4509

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch on 8/15/2016, 6:20 pm

IT's good to make arrangements for leaves...I have a pick-up truck and can usually find bags of leaves for the taking during the fall, however you never really know what is in the bags...acorns, maple and ash seeds, sticks, dog pool, chunks of asphalt and gravel, etc.  If neighbors know you are taking them they may take more care in what they put in.

landarch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/15/2016, 6:33 pm

@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
Lawn mower.  I set up a sort of corral and mowed over them a few times.  Then I got smart and used my lawn mower with a bag attachment.  I have also used one of those leaf blowers that you can convert into a leaf vacumn that sucks up the leaves and shreds them.  I have also used a string trimmer with leaves inside a garbage can.  And last but not least, a gas powered leaf shredder.
I found an electric mulcher that swears I can put the leaves in and set the dial to "fine" and use immediately for compost or mulch. So, what could possibly go wrong?  Rolling Eyes

countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/15/2016, 8:21 pm

rofl

sanderson

Forum Administrator