Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:25 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 9:08 am

» New England, December 2016
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:09 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

» Dry versus fresh spices to infuse vinegar
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:50 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 1:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 12/2/2016, 5:17 pm

» Blanching and Freezing Vegetables
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:59 pm

» Your Christmas wish list?
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:29 pm

» SFG Adventure of a first time gardener in ND
by sanderson 12/2/2016, 4:14 pm

» Fusion Life Brands Power XL pressure cooker
by CapeCoddess 12/2/2016, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My First Compost Tea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My First Compost Tea

Post  dstack on 8/27/2016, 9:33 pm

I've been learning about organic gardening from YouTube vloggers, and although I've heard about compost tea for years, I only recently watched demonstrations using different techniques.  Today I made my first batch without a pump.  I plan to get a pump soon, but I used the technique of stirring it really well every 20 minutes for several hours, as seen in this method...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_tgDtQyWg

Besides my own compost, I included bat guano, Azomite (rock dust minerals) humic acid and mycorrhizae fungi from Rainbow Mix Grow.  I would have used worm castings, but my small local store that I like to support didn't have it in stock. Instead they had a great deal on bat guano.  

The guy in this video, John Evans, in Alaska, is who inspired me to give this a try making my first batch...

http://www.bountea.com/about-us/the-secret/  

Do you use molasses, and if not, what do you use for a sugar?  Next time I'll want to use molasses or something.  

SIDE NOTE: The two video links I posted are not vloggers who've I normally follow.  I've been following Jake Mace, the "Vegan Athlete" near Phoenix, who grows almost all his own food, and he's only 34 years old.  I'm also following John, from GrowYourGreens.com, and the MIGardener.  I'm always learning something new!  I LOVE it!   cheers

dstack

Male Posts : 513

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Compost Tea

Post  sanderson on 8/28/2016, 1:58 am

Have you also read the threads regarding compost tea on this Forum? There are so many different thoughts and methods. One recently posted report stated not to add molasses. Others say yes. I make mine just stirring throughout the day - gently. Apparently we are suppose to gently dislodge the microbes from the solids. Let us know how your use of tea works. Also, adding anything granular those doesn't dissolve completely can clog the applicator. Ask me how I know! Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast

sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 12262

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker on 8/28/2016, 6:34 am

@sanderson wrote:Have you also read the threads regarding compost tea on this Forum?  There are so many different thoughts and methods.  One recently posted report stated not to add molasses.  Others say yes.  I make mine just stirring throughout the day - gently.  Apparently we are suppose to gently dislodge the microbes from the solids.  Let us know how your use of tea works.  Also, adding anything granular those doesn't dissolve completely can clog the applicator.  Ask me how I know! Embarassed
I just read this article on adding molasses to compost tea:

"NOTE: Adding a sugar source will increase beneficial microorganisms but it will also increase any harmful pathogenic microbes as well. If you suspect your worm compost contains harmful microbes, do not add molasses".

Heres the website.
http://www.wormcompostinghq.com/how-to-use-worm-compost/how-to-make-compost-tea-with-worm-castings

Sometimes my aerated vermicompost tea looks really good with a huge froth on top and sometimes no froth at all and I use molasses also. I have also tried your method and it seems to work just as well.

This week, I'm going to try a few buckets without molasses.

MrBooker

Male Posts : 241

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack on 8/28/2016, 8:47 am

@sanderson wrote:Have you also read the threads regarding compost tea on this Forum?  There are so many different thoughts and methods.  One recently posted report stated not to add molasses.  Others say yes.  I make mine just stirring throughout the day - gently.  Apparently we are suppose to gently dislodge the microbes from the solids.  Let us know how your use of tea works.  Also, adding anything granular those doesn't dissolve completely can clog the applicator.  Ask me how I know! Embarassed
The water can was my applicator, and yes it kept clogging,. So sometimes I poured it out the top. I figured it was my compost that was clogging it.  I'll read some of the other threads on CT.  Very Happy

dstack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack on 8/28/2016, 9:02 am

@MrBooker wrote:
I just read this article on adding molasses to compost tea:

"NOTE: Adding a sugar source will increase beneficial microorganisms but it will also increase any harmful pathogenic microbes as well. If you suspect your worm compost contains harmful microbes, do not add molasses".

Heres the website.
http://www.wormcompostinghq.com/how-to-use-worm-compost/how-to-make-compost-tea-with-worm-castings

Sometimes my aerated vermicompost tea looks really good with a huge froth on top and sometimes no froth at all and I use molasses also. I have also tried your method and it seems to work just as well.

This week, I'm going to try a few buckets without molasses.
That's good to know about the molasses. So I would think that you should only use it with a pump, or be strict about stirring it often to minimize the anaerobic bacteria.

dstack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 8/28/2016, 7:39 pm

I wouldn't try making CT with out aeration. just a cheap fish tank pump and a dollar aerator stone is what I finally decided to use. As usual I went for that more expensive junk... It worked great until the cleaning was needed.
Plenty of gentle aeration is needed to eliminate anaerobic conditions. And from what I have read about , I don't want anything to do with that stuff.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1848

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum