Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:49 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:49 am

» 2016 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 11:48 am

» Garbanzo (Chickpeas, Cicer arietinum) and Kidney Beans
by CapeCoddess Today at 11:37 am

» N&C Midwest: December 2016
by landarch Today at 9:29 am

» CHALLENGE - Smallest possible footprint
by sfg4uKim Today at 9:26 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by llama momma Today at 5:10 am

» Second Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Today at 12:13 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing December 2016
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2016
by llama momma Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» New England, December 2016
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 1:04 pm

» Bon fires on the Levee
by Cajun Cappy Yesterday at 12:17 pm

» Mid-South: December 2016
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:26 pm

» Mid-Atl - Dec 2016 - Seed Catalog ?
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:24 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:21 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising 12/5/2016, 10:15 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:06 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

» Garlic: Freeze, thaw, and heave
by donnainzone5 12/5/2016, 11:14 am

» Live and learn
by jimmy cee 12/5/2016, 9:08 am

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:04 pm

» Mychorrhizae Fungi
by audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/4/2016, 1:28 pm

» December 2016 Avatar: Show your Winter Season Colors!
by Scorpio Rising 12/3/2016, 11:17 pm

» SFG not giving the results I expected
by No_Such_Reality 12/3/2016, 7:21 pm

by trolleydriver 12/3/2016, 4:14 pm

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by countrynaturals 12/3/2016, 10:36 am

» Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

» Winter's Coming!
by sanderson 12/3/2016, 2:53 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Has55's Research Journey: Introduction of MICRO-DYNAMIC to the Dallas-Ft. Worth, Tx gardeners.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has55's Research Journey: Introduction of MICRO-DYNAMIC to the Dallas-Ft. Worth, Tx gardeners.

Post  has55 on 9/2/2016, 9:51 pm

My friend Heather Renaldi of Texas Worm Ranch is the one who used the microbe rich soil compost in her square foot garden . I posted her link to the pictures of her garden in july in our 100+ temp this summer. She used no fertilizer!! I received the email below and is reposted it for those who might have a interest. She does many classes on raising worms. She gave me permission to repost to our forum for the DFW group.

Good Morning, Gardeners!

Say "hello" to MICRO-DYNAMIX! Our new adventure is about creating a microbe rich, living, and successful soil mix for our raised bed and container gardeners. Over the years, I have seen too many pictures on local garden forums of newly planted garden beds filled with sad and struggling (if not dead) garden plants. A huge part of that failure can be attributed to the reality that most soil mixes are going to be fairly sterile by the time they get to the gardener. No soil life=a very difficult time for plant life. The 2nd issue is education, and we want to offer direct to gardener sales so we can TALK to and educate EVERY single one of our customers on the best ways to maintain soil life so they can maintain plant health. 

MICRO-DYNAMIX is going to be sourced from sustainable sources (no peat in our mix!) that will make an impact for your gardens, including:  Texas Worm Ranch worm castings, Activated Biochar, and Azomite trace mineral product.

Help us get started in our mission! Do you believe in starting with REAL, MICROBE RICH SOIL (not that dead stuff you are buying now that has been sitting in a compost yard shrink wrapped the last year)?  
We are taking pre-orders now for pickup by you between 9/22-9/30. 
Pre-order and pay now (helping us get our mission off the ground!) and we will give you 1 free bag of microbial activated mulch (to cover and keep alive your new living soil!) per 5 bags of MICRO-DYNAMIX pre-ordered by Sunday of this week

14 bags will cover a 4 X 4 Garden bed
27 bags will cover a 4 X 8 garden bed

$10/cubic foot bag. Send us an email at:  [url=txwormranch@gmail.com]txwormranch@gmail.com[/url] for interest and to support our goal of helping every North Texas Gardener be successful this season!
Thank you for your Support of Texas Worm Ranch,
Heather Rinaldi

Texas Worm Ranch

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has55's Research Journey: Introduction of MICRO-DYNAMIC to the Dallas-Ft. Worth, Tx gardeners.

Post  Kelejan on 9/3/2016, 12:20 am

According to my calculations 14 bags will fill a 4x4 approx. 10 1/2" deep.

Have I got my sums right?  It will cost a total of $160US plus taxes.

Kelejan

Female Posts : 4492

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Has55's Research Journey: Introduction of MICRO-DYNAMIC to the Dallas-Ft. Worth, Tx gardeners.

Post  has55 on 9/3/2016, 10:25 am

@Kelejan wrote:According to my calculations 14 bags will fill a 4x4 approx. 10 1/2" deep.

Have I got my sums right?  It will cost a total of $160US plus taxes.
you're right. In texas we need our beds near 12 inches due to the high heat and humidity. myself would filled the bottom half with wood chips, leaves, etc... to cut the cost and due to the fact that most plants grow in the 6-7 inch area. The alternative is make forest level fungal /bacteria compost. that's what they are doing. they have to send it to a 3rd party lab for testing to make sure it at the correct level.
For those who have a interest, contact Heather Rinaldi at txwormranch@gmail.com The new product is mot on the home page. She will help you directly to get your order set up.
 I planned to send my soil to one on the labs below for the microbiology ratio and will post result later. I sent my soil to the Arkansas lab and is awaiting results. will post results.

United States

California, US

Soil Foodweb, Inc.
(Note: The Lab will not be accepting samples from August 19 - September 12, 2016)
The Celebration Farm
13193 Oroville Quincy Hwy
Berry Creek, CA 95916
Phone: 530-589-9947
Mobile: 707-225-5762
Email: elaine@environmentcelebration.com
Testing: Soil, Compost,  Compost Tea, and Extract (Qualitative Assessments), Total Bacteria (actinobacteria, rods, cocci), Total Fungi (colored wide diameter vs narrow, clear), Protozoa (flagellates, amoebae, ciliates), Nematodes (to functional groups), Total Foodweb Package (Bacteria, fungi, protozoa, nematodes), Mycorrhizal Colonization. Click on the link "Soil.Foodweb.Order.Form.a.pdf" to download the form to submit your samples.
Soil.Foodweb.Biology.Submission.Form.pdf
1.2 MB

Oregon, US

Earthfort LLC
635 SW Western Blvd
Corvallis, OR 97333
Phone: 541-257-2612
Email: info@earthfort.com

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 9/3/2016, 4:17 pm

Texas is certainly different from British Columbia.

I flew to Texas from bC in somewhere around 1982 in April.  I left a late fall of snow to a 72F in San Antonio.  I sure noticed the difference.

I, too, would fill the lower level of my bed with biomass and then would expect the top layer to inoculate the lower level given time.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts on 9/3/2016, 11:49 pm

I'm a huge proponent of building the soil food web every way I can.  My hubby thinks I'm a little "off my rocker" sometimes - I take black trash bags with us when we go camping and gather a wide assortment of forest floor material (a little bit from here and there in a non-national forest area).  I bring it home for the microbial life stored in it so that I can increase my soil health and variety of fungal life.

audrey.jeanne.roberts

View user profile http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 9/4/2016, 12:43 am

I'm with you, Audrey-Jeanne. Most times I have a folded-up bag with, just in case.

Sometimes I have picked up horse droppings. Once we had a horseman touring with his horse and he asked permission to tether his horse outside in the car park under some trees. After he left I took my plastic bag and picked everything up to add to my compost pile.  Sadly, we seldom see any horses around now. Sad

When we had to use a ferry to cross the Columbia River I always remember the notices telling one to be in control of their horse.  Now we have a $25 Million Bridge to connect the two communities and it certainly is not for the benefit of pedestrians but for the paper mill as it crosses the river in the opposite angle for us so that it takes about an hour to walk instead of the 15 minute ferry ride.  Such is progress.

Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 10/28/2016, 4:42 pm

Hi Dallas-Ft. Worth. Today, my wife came to me after she had harvested the greens for her family members and us, stating that the colors of the leaves were very intense and deeper than anything we've have every grown. That's was from the addition of the micro-dynamix. Sorry no pictures,but Heather got the  fungi/bacteria ratio right. I'm personally working on getting it right at home per Dr. Elaine Ingham response to my soil test that I posted in another thread.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum