Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:24 pm

» Spotted Lanternfly: invasive pest "new" to the US
by sanderson Today at 1:41 pm

» New England September 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:10 pm

» First red kidney bean harvest....now what?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:28 am

» Fall Garden?
by sanderson Today at 3:28 am

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» question about Garlic and winter
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ginger
by has55 Yesterday at 2:38 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 9:42 am

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 9:08 am

» harvesting wood chips
by Kelejan 9/19/2017, 9:55 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2017
by brianj555 9/19/2017, 7:18 pm

» leeks again
by donnainzone5 9/19/2017, 12:17 pm

» WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins
by has55 9/19/2017, 9:03 am

» My SFG Journey:Returning to the Original Square Foot Garden Method
by has55 9/19/2017, 3:05 am

» Monarch Supporter
by CitizenKate 9/19/2017, 1:43 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by trolleydriver 9/18/2017, 5:08 pm

» Amaranth
by trolleydriver 9/18/2017, 12:06 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals 9/18/2017, 11:29 am

» Tomatoes in New England
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2017, 9:02 pm

» Ground Cherries
by Ginger Blue 9/17/2017, 5:39 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 9/17/2017, 11:20 am

» Skinny Cucumbers?
by brianj555 9/17/2017, 11:15 am

» Trellis
by CapeCoddess 9/17/2017, 10:19 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by bigdogrock 9/17/2017, 8:43 am

» Garden Videos 2017
by brianj555 9/16/2017, 9:48 pm

» What I learned this year
by brianj555 9/16/2017, 9:19 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  Zap on 10/4/2016, 1:44 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in getting opinions about raised bed gardens, specifically whether anyone has any information and/or opinions about building RBG's from cedar and and preferences on choosing Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

I'm interested in all aspects of the "whys"

Thanks!
avatar
Zap

Posts : 3
Join date : 2016-10-04
Location : New England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  sanderson on 10/4/2016, 5:37 pm

Hi, Zap. Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here Did you read our existing threads on Cedar? Just enter in the Search box. It seems the EWC should be less expensive for you than the WRC. I think most of us use the cheapest wood, usually pine or fir, for our beds. All woods will eventually rot and need replacing. Sad

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14587
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  plantoid on 10/5/2016, 4:29 pm

Zap wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in getting opinions about raised bed gardens, specifically whether anyone has any information and/or opinions about building RBG's from cedar and and preferences on choosing Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

I'm interested in all aspects of the "whys"

Thanks!
 I used to have a lot of 30 year old Western red cedar beehives ( 76 of them ) they sat on stands on the ground made of the same wood . The feet of the stands was well weathered but serviceable on most of them . The wood was not treated with a preservative .
,
The oldest white cedar wood hives ( 24 of them ) I had were around 16 years old & ready for the bonfire , stands lasted seven or so years before having to be burnt as they had rotted away on the legs at ground contact  in almost every case & that was with them being treated with a bee friendly wood preservative .

 I have seen many a 25 year old glasshouse made on WRC wood frame work untreated from the date the were made .

White  Pine on the other hand was at the end of it's life by year 12 or so , again the wood was treated with an undercoated and a gloss paint top coat before the glazing was added .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3727
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  Zap on 10/5/2016, 4:39 pm

plantoid wrote:
Zap wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in getting opinions about raised bed gardens, specifically whether anyone has any information and/or opinions about building RBG's from cedar and and preferences on choosing Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

I'm interested in all aspects of the "whys"

Thanks!
 I used to have a lot of 30 year old Western red cedar beehives ( 76 of them ) they sat on stands on the ground made of the same wood . The feet of the stands was well weathered but serviceable on most of them . The wood was not treated with a preservative .
,
The oldest white cedar wood hives ( 24 of them ) I had were around 16 years old & ready for the bonfire , stands lasted seven or so years before having to be burnt as they had rotted away on the legs at ground contact  in almost every case & that was with them being treated with a bee friendly wood preservative .

 I have seen many a 25 year old glasshouse made on WRC wood frame work untreated from the date the were made .

White  Pine on the other hand was at the end of it's life by year 12 or so , again the wood was treated with an undercoated and a gloss paint top coat before the glazing was added .
Did you mean White "Pine" or "Cedar"?  They're not the same thing.
avatar
Zap

Posts : 3
Join date : 2016-10-04
Location : New England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  plantoid on 10/5/2016, 6:18 pm

I was told those non WRC  hives were White Cedar .


Untreated pine wouldn't have lasted much past seven years as the wood's  cells do not contain any sensible amounts of resins and they are quite open form/spongy .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3727
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  Zap on 10/6/2016, 8:28 am

plantoid wrote:I was told those non WRC  hives were White Cedar .


Untreated pine wouldn't have lasted much past seven years as the wood's  cells do not contain any sensible amounts of resins and they are quite open form/spongy .
Your post said  "white pine" in one place, so I wanted to verify that you simply misspoke.  I wouldn't expect pine to last that long either.
avatar
Zap

Posts : 3
Join date : 2016-10-04
Location : New England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Western Red Cedar Vs Eastern White Cedar?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum