Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:39 pm

» Composting Particle Board?
by dk54321 Today at 12:56 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:38 pm

» New England August 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:13 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 12:06 pm

» The Best Steps for Storing Tomatillos
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:36 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by countrynaturals Today at 11:11 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by countrynaturals Today at 11:10 am

» Hello gardener's
by trolleydriver Today at 7:51 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by bigdogrock Today at 6:45 am

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 6:20 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Baba Ghanoush
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:30 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:09 am

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/19/2017, 8:58 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver 8/19/2017, 1:04 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma 8/18/2017, 1:40 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver 8/18/2017, 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR 8/17/2017, 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  countrynaturals on 12/1/2016, 12:57 pm

I have big, beautiful broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower plants that aren't producing yet. Is there something I can do with their leaves? Can they be used like cabbage? Cooked? Raw? Mixed in with kale?geek
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2383
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/1/2016, 1:07 pm

Yes to all of that!  Smoothies, too.  I grow broccoli and bs just for the leaves since I can't get them to do much else, but they are usually puny.
Lucky you.  Wish I had big beautiful leaves.... Rolling Eyes  Do you have photos so I can drooling ?
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6311
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  plantoid on 12/1/2016, 2:36 pm

On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .
 Good strong healthy Brussels sprouts plants can easily reach three foot six tall ( 1.1 mtr )

 When I was a kid in the 1950's Mum & Dad used to cut the sprouts off the stems from the bottom up , starting a few weeks after the first frosts in the 21 x 21 foot square of sprout plants  .

This carried on even in deepest winter through to March ,  just as cabbage greens became very expensive  due to scarcity after winter & when the spring greens hadn't quite reached a decent enough size to take two for the six of us .

So on Saturday afternoons after Dad got home from work , he'd use a big heavy spade to dig two whole sprout plants up and put them in the shade of the shed on the sunless North side .  During the week Mum would take off the remaining sprouts then use the axe to chop off the whole crown for us to have as a dark cabbage . The stripped stalk & roots were then chopped into 6 inch lengths which we fed to our meat rabbits or the chickens . as fresh greens.
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3718
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  countrynaturals on 12/1/2016, 2:58 pm

@plantoid wrote:On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .
 Good strong healthy Brussels sprouts plants can easily reach three foot six tall ( 1.1 mtr )

 When I was a kid in the 1950's Mum & Dad used to cut the sprouts off the stems from the bottom up , starting a few weeks after the first frosts in the 21 x 21 foot square of sprout plants  .

This carried on even in deepest winter through to March ,  just as cabbage greens became very expensive  due to scarcity after winter & when the spring greens hadn't quite reached a decent enough size to take two for the six of us .

So on Saturday afternoons after Dad got home from work , he'd use a big heavy spade to dig two whole sprout plants up and put them in the shade of the shed on the sunless North side .  During the week Mum would take off the remaining sprouts then use the axe to chop off the whole crown for us to have as a dark cabbage . The stripped stalk & roots were then chopped into 6 inch lengths which we fed to our meat rabbits or the chickens . as fresh greens.
Wow! I have yet to see an actual sprout or broccoli head but we will definitely be eating leaves, today. Cool
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2383
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  countrynaturals on 12/1/2016, 3:37 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:Yes to all of that!  Smoothies, too.  I grow broccoli and bs just for the leaves since I can't get them to do much else, but they are usually puny.
Lucky you.  Wish I had big beautiful leaves.... Rolling Eyes  Do you have photos so I can  drooling ?
CC
YIKES! I don't know if I have broccoli or Brussels Sprouts. I think it's broccoli so I'll plant more Brussels Sprouts, today.  Embarassed

Broccoli?


Kale


Cauliflower
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2383
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  Roseinarosecity on 12/1/2016, 3:46 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have big, beautiful broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and Cauliflower plants that aren't producing yet. Is there something I can do with their leaves? Can they be used like cabbage? Cooked? Raw? Mixed in with kale?
I have eaten leaves from my broccoli and cauliflower.  I cut them up thinly and saute them without the stem with garlic or onion.  I don't harvest more than 20% from the growing plant.  Other people use the very large leaves for stuffing with a type of ground meat.

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 192
Join date : 2011-08-14
Location : 10a - San Gabriel Valley - Pasadena, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  sanderson on 12/2/2016, 3:23 am

Yes!  I like the leaves for cabbage rolls.  Plus, in the spring, or when ever they go to seed in each area, the flowers are so sweet and the bees love them.  One for the bees, one for me. . .

CC, I'll take a photo of the broccoli and cauliflower just for you. Wink

CN, lovely brassicas.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14404
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/2/2016, 2:25 pm

Thanks Sanderson! Very Happy

Didn't realize that you could eat the flowers, too. I mean, I've put them in smoothies but never tasted one. Good to know. Wonder if we can eat radish flowers, too, and if they are spicy...?
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6311
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  plantoid on 12/2/2016, 5:14 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@plantoid wrote:On the sprout plant only take the bigger older best quality lower outer leaves , don't take them from the crown of the plant or you'll stunt it .
 Good strong healthy Brussels sprouts plants can easily reach three foot six tall ( 1.1 mtr )

 When I was a kid in the 1950's Mum & Dad used to cut the sprouts off the stems from the bottom up , starting a few weeks after the first frosts in the 21 x 21 foot square of sprout plants  .

This carried on even in deepest winter through to March ,  just as cabbage greens became very expensive  due to scarcity after winter & when the spring greens hadn't quite reached a decent enough size to take two for the six of us .

So on Saturday afternoons after Dad got home from work , he'd use a big heavy spade to dig two whole sprout plants up and put them in the shade of the shed on the sunless North side .  During the week Mum would take off the remaining sprouts then use the axe to chop off the whole crown for us to have as a dark cabbage . The stripped stalk & roots were then chopped into 6 inch lengths which we fed to our meat rabbits or the chickens . as fresh greens.
Wow! I have yet to see an actual sprout or broccoli head but we will definitely be eating leaves, today. Cool


 Put ,  "  Brussels sprout tops "  into Google the look in Google images .

  The best tops are from the tight spiral plants as they are tighter on spread than a plant that all leggy & sparsely populated with Brussels .

 If ever you get seeds that give you 3 foot plus stalks let two run to seed  , for theses days most sprouts are commercial strains with short 2 foot long easily harvested by machinery stalks with not much top .
avatar
plantoid

Male Posts : 3718
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  sanderson on 12/2/2016, 5:27 pm

@plantoid wrote: If ever you get seeds that give you 3 foot plus stalks let two run to seed  , for theses days most sprouts are commercial strains with short 2 foot long easily harvested by machinery stalks with not much top .
Good idea

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14404
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  countrynaturals on 12/2/2016, 8:41 pm

Well, I figured out why I haven't been getting any Brussels sprouts plants. My seeds are from 2012. Embarassed
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2383
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  sanderson on 12/3/2016, 2:55 am

Wink

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14404
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eat Broccoli Leaves? Brussels Sprouts? Cauliflower?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum