Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 4:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 3:25 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 2:32 pm

» Coffee Substitute?
by countrynaturals Today at 1:02 pm

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:57 am

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie Today at 10:00 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 8:31 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Today at 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Today at 12:08 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Mels book
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:34 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Yesterday at 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 7:36 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt 10/19/2017, 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB 10/19/2017, 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 11:08 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson 10/19/2017, 10:03 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, December 2016

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England, December 2016

Post  mollyhespra on 12/25/2016, 7:43 pm

Hello, Friends!

I've been away from the forum for quite some time but often think of you all.  So here's wishing you a great holiday season and may all your wonderful gardening dreams come true!

lots o -Molly
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 807

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/25/2016, 11:51 pm

Hey, Molly!  Missed ya!  Merry!  Glad you are back!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5363

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/26/2016, 6:25 am

Hi Molly!!!

Merry Christmas!
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4277

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/26/2016, 1:25 pm

happy hi Molly!  Glad you're still checking in!

It's a beautiful  Boxing Day today on Old Cape Cod - sunny and high thirties.  I'm still occasionally  harvesting SFG baby kale leaves,  spinach mustard and diakon.

Come February this will box window will be cleared of geraniums and cats and set up with sprouting seedlings.

OK, so maybe the cat and her blankie get to stay. I love you
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 12/26/2016, 7:28 pm

I'm already itching to get shopping this spring for a few tomato plants that can thrive in pots on our patio.  I have no place to start my own any longer, but I know I can find some lovely plants at Home Depot or Lowe's this spring and potting soil and pots.  I gave away all my pots when I moved.

I hope all my SFG friends had a wonderful Merry Christmas.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4690

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 12/26/2016, 9:18 pm

Awww, thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone!  Cc your window plants look amazing as always.  And I see that Miss Lilly is still on duty watching over her kingdom!  

As for me, I didn't go far; just had too much else going on that needed my attention so the garden had to get put on the side-burner.  DH and I did get a chance to put in some more blueberry bushes, bringing us up to 18 plants or so, and if the contractors ever show up next spring we'll be enclosing another area behind the house for more beds.  The current SFG is technically in our front yard.  We did manage to get enough potatoes planted last spring to yield us a nice harvest this fall.  We've been eating potatoes since, when? late August? and we've barely made a dent.  The garlic harvest was decent also, so I can't complain, and thank Goodness that we had mild temps late into Fall, since I didn't get next year's cloves planted until Nov. 11th!  

Let's see, what else?  Oh, I left the Kale uncovered this winter (I overwintered some last year under some clear plastic) just to see if it makes it.  I don't have much hope, but I ran out of time for a thorough garden cleanup, so I figured might as well see what happens.  I also purposely left some onions in the ground to see if they make it.  

I think that about catches you all up on what I've been up to gardening-wise.

mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/27/2016, 8:43 pm

Thanks for the update!  Will be anxious to hear if any of your unprotected plants make it.  I left some mache out there...uncovered.  Will see.

I would love to put some blueberries in.  Do they like wet or non wet feet?  I have both to choose from.  

Also looking to put in some more fruit trees.  I have alone, old pear tree.  Need some fast producers, I am no spring chicken!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/28/2016, 8:00 am

Blueberries are cousins to azaleas, SR. So they like acid. (We use mini pine bark nuggets.) And while they do like a lot of water, I can't say that they like "wet feet". I wouldn't plant them in a boggy type area...

Mine are in clay without much added in. On 5 bushes this year, I got 6 gallons.

Our family place in NH is quite humid and next to a lake. Lots of hemlock trees, so, again, lots of acid. Some of those bushes have been producing for over 80 years now.

Hope this helps.....
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 12/28/2016, 10:32 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Blueberries are cousins to azaleas, SR.  So they like acid.  (We use mini pine bark nuggets.)  And while they do like a lot of water, I can't say that they like "wet feet".  I wouldn't plant them in a boggy type area...
Good to know. Our azaleas are very happy here, so maybe there's a chance we could have some blueberries, too. geek
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2689

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 12/28/2016, 10:03 pm

I AtlantaMarie wrote:Blueberries are cousins to azaleas, SR.  So they like acid.  (We use mini pine bark nuggets.)  And while they do like a lot of water, I can't say that they like "wet feet".  I wouldn't plant them in a boggy type area...

Mine are in clay without much added in.  On 5 bushes this year, I got 6 gallons.

Our family place in NH is quite humid and next to a lake.  Lots of hemlock trees, so, again, lots of acid.  Some of those bushes have been producing for over 80 years now.

Hope this helps.....
Yes, thanks, AM!  I would not put them in the wet area then.  I can effectively mulch with pine nuggets.  How many seasons before fruit?
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 12/29/2016, 2:17 pm

You're welcome. And you should get fruit the next year...
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 12/29/2016, 4:31 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Blueberries are cousins to azaleas, SR.  So they like acid.  (We use mini pine bark nuggets.)  And while they do like a lot of water, I can't say that they like "wet feet".  I wouldn't plant them in a boggy type area...
Good to know. Our azaleas are very happy here, so maybe there's a chance we could have some blueberries, too. geek
Just remember to check the varieties that might produce in your zone.  I think blueberries are generally a cold zone plant though I think I've seen some varieties for the Southern states. HTH.  sunny
mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 12/29/2016, 5:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Thanks for the update!  Will be anxious to hear if any of your unprotected plants make it.  I left some mache out there...uncovered.  Will see.

I would love to put some blueberries in.  Do they like wet or non wet feet?  I have both to choose from.  

Also looking to put in some more fruit trees.  I have alone, old pear tree.  Need some fast producers, I am no spring chicken!
Ideally, I'd love to be able to plant out as many types of plants as possible in the fall along with the garlic.  A few years ago I started a bunch of different onion varieties from seed with the hope to find one or two that can tolerate our winters if I leave them outside.  So far, one red bulbed variety and one white one survived under the plastic cover last winter, so this winter I just made sure to mulch them well and left them uncovered. I'm doing the same with the kale.  I guess I'm after winter tolerant onion and kale landraces of sorts.
mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 12/29/2016, 6:22 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Thanks for the update!  Will be anxious to hear if any of your unprotected plants make it.  I left some mache out there...uncovered.  Will see.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to plant out as many types of plants as possible in the fall along with the garlic.  A few years ago I started a bunch of different onion varieties from seed with the hope to find one or two that can tolerate our winters if I leave them outside.  So far, one red bulbed variety and one white one survived under the plastic cover last winter, so this winter I just made sure to mulch them well and left them uncovered. I'm doing the same with the kale.  I guess I'm after winter tolerant onion and kale landraces of sorts.
Hi Molly! I think I joined just before your hiatus. I'm over in zone 5b/6a in the mid-Atlantic, but I "butt in" all over the place. Regarding winter tolerant kale, all of my kale was uncovered last year, and most of it this year. My White Russian kale appears to be doing better than my Siberian kale. I think I had a Winterbor last year that was doing better at this point last year than either of those. I bought it as a transplant so I have no seeds, and it's a hybrid, so I'm uncertain about buying some. (Dehybridizing is a fascinating topic if you have time to spend reading about it on the web.) But I will be getting seeds for dwarf blue curled scotch vates kale to try out this coming year, and, hopefully, Baltic Red- I believe this is a parent of the hybrid Redbor. I'd love to share seeds with someone else interested in pursuing a winter tolerant kale landrace. If you're interested, PM me in late February or early March to find out whether I've ordered seeds yet.  
(BTW - Beautiful African violets, CC!)
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1238

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 12/30/2016, 10:31 am

mollyhespra wrote: A few years ago I started a bunch of different onion varieties from seed with the hope to find one or two that can tolerate our winters if I leave them outside.  So far, one red bulbed variety and one white one survived under the plastic cover last winter, so this winter I just made sure to mulch them well and left them uncovered. I'm doing the same with the kale.  I guess I'm after winter tolerant onion and kale landraces of sorts.

I'd love to get onions out of the way in fall.  What are the names of the 2 varieties of those onions, Molly?  Surely they would last here since our winters are much milder than yours...usually.

Beetles, you've come to the right place on your kale hunt/swap.  If I forget to PM you come Feb, maybe you could remember to PM me?  I have the dwarf blue curled scotch vates and would love to swap for Baltic Red.  My Winterbor seeds are probably F2 (another members own seed harvest) but worked beautifully this year and are still going without protection, if you want to try some.

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 12/30/2016, 10:57 am

Hi, Beetles!  I'd love to do some swapping and will certainly PM you in a few months.  My kale that was left in the ground over last winter flowered like crazy but I didn't gather any seeds.  I'm sure I will have a gazillion sproutlings come Spring and will probably find a few intact seed pods to send to you, if you like.  If the poor plants can survive my winter, I'm sure they will do fine down your way.  Unfortunately, they were purchased as starts, so I'm not sure the variety, though I'm friendly with the nursery owner, so I can ask him.  He usually carries organic-certified seed starts, mostly heirloom, but also hybrids occasionally.  I put in some red and some green and only the green variety made it, even under cover.

happy hi CC, I unfortunately mixed up the labels on the onions, so I'm not sure the variety, but I know what seeds I planted, so I figure if any survive I'll work backwards to figure out what I have.  My plan is to then treat them like potato onions and let them clone themselves.  Judging by the 3? 4? years it took to get the "Green Mountain Multiplier" to where this is the first harvest that I'm risking eating any of the smallest bulbs, it will be a while before I can share some with you, but I'm happy to do so.
mollyhespra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 12/30/2016, 11:57 am

CC - I'm definitely interested in the F2 Winterborson? ...Daughters of Winterbor? I put a note in my 2017 garden planning document under February to PM you. (BTW Scorpio Rising - I have seeds set aside to ship to you once the weather is warmer.)

Molly - if you can scavenge some pods for me that'd be great. If not, I'm still happy to share with you.

I plan on posting a swapping post ...late January, early February? I have my varieties about 80% picked out for next year with three categories: "want to buy a full packet," "must try, sample size is fine," and "hrm, that looks nifty, I'll try that if someone has some to share."
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1238

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum