Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Dream garden 2017
by sanderson Today at 1:04 am

» Rolly Pollys
by sanderson Today at 1:01 am

» Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:52 am

» Lil' Goners
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:45 am

» Ground Cherries
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:41 am

» Excited to be a part of forum
by Kelejan Today at 12:37 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017
by Kelejan Today at 12:26 am

» Hello from St Louis
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:52 pm

» Strawberry protection
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:49 pm

» Amaranth
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:26 pm

» Double summer squash flower
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» New in NY...Hi all
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:44 pm

» New England May 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 4:07 pm

» Yard and garden Maintenance Gadgets
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:57 pm

» Natural Dying ~ The Thyme to Dye is Coming!
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:31 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by Turan Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» New For 2017
by Turan Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Planting tomatoes, cucumbers and squash back to back on wire mesh trellis.
by Veganist Yesterday at 2:17 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 12:35 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Fiz Yesterday at 10:44 am

» Hello from TN
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 9:11 am

» Tips for compost tumbler
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 7:59 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:36 am

» Using Eggshells for your garden
by yolos Yesterday at 1:00 am

» Lower South May 2017
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2017, 10:44 pm

» N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2017, 10:38 pm

» Maritime SGFG 2017
by yolos 5/25/2017, 9:38 pm

» has55's R & D Journey
by has55 5/25/2017, 4:26 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 5/25/2017, 2:00 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  llama momma on 1/30/2017, 8:28 am

Finalizing seed order today. Tossed out all seeds and starting brand new this year like a newbie. The seed packet volume was getting out of hand.  Storing and keeping track was becoming tedious and no fun.  Did a Massive streamline. Closed my eyes and out it went into the side yard non - sq. ft. beds.  If something wants to over winter and grow, great. I'll be back to transplant into sq ft beds.  Otherwise birds and field mice can have it. Here's to new beginnings, yeah !!
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4778
Join date : 2010-08-20
Age : 60
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  yolos on 1/30/2017, 12:37 pm

I have been telling myself for years to toss out all my old cool weather seeds in the fall and warm weather seeds in the spring.  But I never get around to it.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3098
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/30/2017, 10:02 pm

@llama momma wrote:Finalizing seed order today. Tossed out all seeds and starting brand new this year like a newbie. The seed packet volume was getting out of hand.  Storing and keeping track was becoming tedious and no fun.  Did a Massive streamline. Closed my eyes and out it went into the side yard non - sq. ft. beds.  If something wants to over winter and grow, great. I'll be back to transplant into sq ft beds.  Otherwise birds and field mice can have it. Here's to new beginnings, yeah !!
Wow, you go, girl!  That takes steel!  How many years are they generally worth keeping?  Mine are from 2015 at the oldest.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4675
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/30/2017, 11:20 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@llama momma wrote:Finalizing seed order today. Tossed out all seeds and starting brand new this year like a newbie. The seed packet volume was getting out of hand.  Storing and keeping track was becoming tedious and no fun.  Did a Massive streamline. Closed my eyes and out it went into the side yard non - sq. ft. beds.  If something wants to over winter and grow, great. I'll be back to transplant into sq ft beds.  Otherwise birds and field mice can have it. Here's to new beginnings, yeah !!
Wow, you go, girl!  That takes steel!  How many years are they generally worth keeping?  Mine are from 2015 at the oldest.
It depends on the sort of seed. Onion and parsnip seed, maybe parsley, from 2015 probably won't germinate very well, but everything else is likely fine. (Hrm...no one told my 2 yr old parsley seeds about these numbers. Not sure whether to raise my eyebrow or count my blessings.) Here's three tables of estimates:
http://awaytogarden.com/estimating-viability-how-long-do-seeds-last/
http://www.seasonalwisdom.com/2013/01/how-long-will-vegetable-seeds-stay-viable/
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/how-long-do-garden-seeds-last

I've grown tomatoes from over 10yr old seed, but they took a lot longer to germinate, and not all of them did. To a point, putting more seed per pot helps as seed gets older - but then there gets to be a point where that doesn't work well enough and you are losing too much growing time trying to germinate replacements.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 948
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/31/2017, 9:06 pm

Interesting, thanks for the info!  Seed viability or germination, 2 separate issues, is an ongoing challenge.  I bought Burpee Ruby Crunch lettuce seed last year, because I didn't have a red.  I planted it in my baby seed sitch, on heated pad, under lights, 3 times!  Not  a single one ever made it out alive?!  Not ONE?!!!

New cultivars, Merveille de Seisons Quatro, and All Year Round.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4675
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/31/2017, 9:45 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting, thanks for the info!  Seed viability or germination, 2 separate issues, is an ongoing challenge.  I bought Burpee Ruby Crunch lettuce seed last year, because I didn't have a red.  I planted it in my baby seed sitch, on heated pad, under lights, 3 times!  Not  a single one ever made it out alive?!  Not ONE?!!!

New cultivars, Merveille de Seisons Quatro, and All Year Round.
Wait ... were they the on heated pad all three times? What temperature does that get your soil to?
I ended up getting another analog meat thermometer at a thrift store for gardening use so I could determine this. I use bottom heating (mine is a strand of rope lighting) for my nightshades and curcubits, but not my lettuce.  

Lettuce won't germinate if it's too warm, and 'too warm' varies somewhat with variety. I'm seeing different sources on the web draw the line at 75,85, 90 and 95. Rolling Eyes   Ruby crunch may particularly unwilling to germinate at warm temperatures? If none of your attempts were at room temperature, without heating, I'd certainly give that a try!
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 948
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  sanderson on 2/1/2017, 1:55 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote: I use bottom heating (mine is a strand of rope lighting) for my nightshades and curcubits. . .
Rope lighting, interesting possibility. Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13772
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 2/2/2017, 6:12 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting, thanks for the info!  Seed viability or germination, 2 separate issues, is an ongoing challenge.  I bought Burpee Ruby Crunch lettuce seed last year, because I didn't have a red.  I planted it in my baby seed sitch, on heated pad, under lights, 3 times!  Not  a single one ever made it out alive?!  Not ONE?!!!

New cultivars, Merveille de Seisons Quatro, and All Year Round.
Wait ... were they the on heated pad all three times? What temperature does that get your soil to?
I ended up getting another analog meat thermometer at a thrift store for gardening use so I could determine this. I use bottom heating (mine is a strand of rope lighting) for my nightshades and curcubits, but not my lettuce.  

Lettuce won't germinate if it's too warm, and 'too warm' varies somewhat with variety. I'm seeing different sources on the web draw the line at 75,85, 90 and 95. Rolling Eyes   Ruby crunch may particularly unwilling to germinate at warm temperatures? If none of your attempts were at room temperature, without heating, I'd certainly give that a try!
I did it both ways, zip.  First time on the pad, about 75 degrees.  Nada.  2nd time no pad in window. Nothing.  3rd time outside in September, again, not one!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4675
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 2/2/2017, 7:14 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Interesting, thanks for the info!  Seed viability or germination, 2 separate issues, is an ongoing challenge.  I bought Burpee Ruby Crunch lettuce seed last year, because I didn't have a red.  I planted it in my baby seed sitch, on heated pad, under lights, 3 times!  Not  a single one ever made it out alive?!  Not ONE?!!!

New cultivars, Merveille de Seisons Quatro, and All Year Round.
Wait ... were they the on heated pad all three times? What temperature does that get your soil to?
I ended up getting another analog meat thermometer at a thrift store for gardening use so I could determine this. I use bottom heating (mine is a strand of rope lighting) for my nightshades and curcubits, but not my lettuce.  

Lettuce won't germinate if it's too warm, and 'too warm' varies somewhat with variety. I'm seeing different sources on the web draw the line at 75,85, 90 and 95. Rolling Eyes   Ruby crunch may particularly unwilling to germinate at warm temperatures? If none of your attempts were at room temperature, without heating, I'd certainly give that a try!
I did it both ways, zip.  First time on the pad, about 75 degrees.  Nada.  2nd time no pad in window. Nothing.  3rd time outside in September, again, not one!
Aw, well,it was worth mentioning. Sounds like a bad seed packet. Curious: Did you mail order, or was it from a store?
I had a handful of things I couldn't germinate last year. Some were my fault - found out that the seeds needed cold stratification (catnip, shiso) or some other special treatment. Some were just old. Others like the orach - I think it was a bad seed packet. I wasn't all from the same company, and other seeds from the same companies worked... but I'll be swapping the sources around and re-buy those seeds this year.
I don't see Ruby Crunch listed on Burpee's website. I wonder if you weren't the only one who had a problem and they dropped it.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 948
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 2/2/2017, 10:13 pm

The 

This is the offending package...I was kind of amazed that I kept it!

It looks so pretty.....alas.

From 2016, I think, Walmart.....


Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 2/2/2017, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the year and where)
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 4675
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  MrBooker on 2/3/2017, 3:48 am

Someone told me many years ago to keep my seed in the crisper drawer in the fridge and I've been doing it forever.
I put the opened seed packs in a plastic baggie and in the crisper they go.

I don't like to keep seed more than 3 years. In fact, last week when I bought seeds for this year, I went through my older seeds a tossed a bunch of them. I've taken small seeds like lettuce and carrots seed and sprinkled them in my salad.   I'm not brave enough to do that with watermelon seed...  Embarassed affraid
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 345
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/3/2017, 12:44 pm

Mr. B, do you have a corner area or some such in your yard where to could throw all your old seeds onto the ground? Maybe you'll get something.  I did that last year and a lot of things sprouted.  It was too late in the season for much to finish but I did get some peas and beans.  I called it my Zombie Garden.
What a Face
There probably would have been more if I'd remembered to water it.
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 5926
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  R&R 1011 on 2/5/2017, 4:33 am

I'm excited to get back to gardening this year. 

I got diagnosed with Hashimotos & hypothyroidism a year ago.  It took awhile to get my dosage & supplements right so I started tomatoes & tomatillos last year and never got back to attending them.  They literally took over my whole 24' x 30' garden!!  

I was soo sad about not being able to garden last year.  I couldn't believe how much I missed it. 

So I'm dusting off my grow station.  I just ordered new trays and some domed vented lids.  I'm heading to Home Depot this morning to buy more shop lights (only have 2).   I went through my seeds.  I bought some new last year I never opened!  I need to replace some old ones,  mainly lettuce. 

I  also came into winter with 3 hives.   I lost my 3 yr old hive last month.  Sad  Also, during the fall, a weasel or minx tunneled into my coop killing half my flock.  I've got an incubator coming in the mail to hatch my own chicks.  Smile

This year I hope to make my rain barrels,  finish our coop,  redo our compost bins, and have a successful gardening year.
avatar
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 288
Join date : 2013-02-22
Age : 33
Location : London, OH -Zone 5B/ 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  sanderson on 2/5/2017, 11:50 pm

R&R,  Welcome back!  happy hi  Glad you have things under control and can get back to gardening.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13772
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  R&R 1011 on 2/6/2017, 12:06 am

@sanderson wrote:R&R,  Welcome back!  happy hi  Glad you have things under control and can get back to gardening.
Thank you!  Glad to be back
avatar
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 288
Join date : 2013-02-22
Age : 33
Location : London, OH -Zone 5B/ 6A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: January 2017!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum