Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?
by sanderson Today at 2:07 am

» Eggplant Blossom End Rot?
by sanderson Today at 2:04 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 2:00 am

» N & C Midwest; July 2017 !
by CitizenKate Today at 12:27 am

» What I've learned this year
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 11:30 pm

» What do you know about making sauerkraut?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» Growing Romanesco Broccoli
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» Tornado Cake
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» Do I need to pollinate my zucchinis?
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:19 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:07 am

» Your favorite watermelon and pumpkin
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:59 am

» Friday Rookie Topic XII: Cucumbers
by Scorpio Rising 7/24/2017, 8:40 pm

» More on garlic scapes
by greatgranny 7/24/2017, 7:17 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by SwampTroll 7/24/2017, 2:47 pm

» My early garden
by sanderson 7/24/2017, 3:15 am

» Garden Footwear
by sanderson 7/24/2017, 3:14 am

» Square footage
by sanderson 7/24/2017, 3:03 am

» Healthy Meals
by RoOsTeR 7/23/2017, 10:19 pm

» HELP! Sweet Potato Plant!
by countrynaturals 7/23/2017, 11:26 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 7/22/2017, 9:10 pm

» New England July 2017
by quiltbea 7/22/2017, 8:10 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 7/22/2017, 7:38 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 7/22/2017, 2:26 pm

» Green Caterpillars
by sanderson 7/22/2017, 2:22 pm

» Some of our Gluten-free Cajun Recipes
by sanderson 7/22/2017, 1:50 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 7/22/2017, 1:43 pm

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 7/22/2017, 12:03 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New SFG in Upstate South Carolina

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New SFG in Upstate South Carolina

Post  devvy on 1/5/2017, 2:45 pm

Getting things together to start my first SFG, and getting excited! That, and a bit nervous, knowing how little I really do know about gardening. I'm getting the kids, 4 & 6, involved, and they're excited too. Now I'm trying to finalize what seed we'll need and all the other little things that will help us get to a good harvest. I've requested seed catalogs like mad, and with those come the thousands of emails telling me the next best thing I need... and at an unbeatable price, they say!

But money saved is still money spent.

Just this afternoon, Park Seed is proclaiming their once-a-year Biodome Sale. I don't know if I should be excited or not. How do those "Bio Sponges" fit in to Mel's seed starting method? Frankly, I'm both excited and scared at the thought of starting some seeds indoors Embarassed, but I know the kids would love to see the little sprouts come up and it'll be the only way to get a couple varieties that I want to plant. So, is the Biodome a good buy (especially at a sale price), or do y'all recommend another method/product for a nervous but ready-to-dig-in beginner?

Last edited by sanderson on 1/12/2017, 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moderator changed name of Title)
devvy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New SFG in Upstate South Carolina

Post  sanderson on 1/5/2017, 3:42 pm

Devvy,  Welcome to the SFG Forum from California!  glad you\'re here  If you have read All New Square Foot Gardening, you are half way there.  Very Happy  The Search box is a valuable tool to research subjects.

Salad clam shells will work just fine.  So will any take out with clear plastic lid.  Also, Yogurt cups, smallest solo cups, etc.  No need to spend money if something free or re-purposed will work.  Use some of the savings for plant labels. Search "seedlings" to get some more ideas.  I think the general method folks use the most is under T8 cheap shop lights.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14233

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  devvy on 1/5/2017, 4:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome and for sending me in the right direction!
devvy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/5/2017, 5:05 pm

I agree with Sanderson. I've used the Aerogarden equivalent ... it's a piece of styrofoam that floats in a weak fertilizer solution with conical peat-moss 'sponges' to wick the solution. I got it as a free with purchase of more than$X ...and I still felt a little overcharged. It works, but it's unnecessary; seeds are designed to sprout. I think suspect the sale price is so that you keep buying new refills (don't forget to check the cost of those when making  your decision.)
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 1/5/2017, 6:39 pm

You don't need a Park's Biodome.  But I have one and I like it.  It is a 45 cell styrofoam tray that floats on water (and nutrients) in the bottom of the base tray.  I started all my tomato and pepper plants in it last year.  I always start at least 3 of each variety just to make sure I get two good ones of each variety to plant out in the garden when the weather warms up.

Advantages.  You can get a lot (45) seedlings started in a small area.  My Biodome is approx 9.5 inches by 14.5 inches.  Fits perfectly under my one bulb, 2 foot jumpstart grow light.    When you are ready to pot them up into larger pots, you don't have to take the time to untangle the roots like you would have to do if you started the seedlings in a clam pack.  I have the small T-5 grow light inside my family room so it has to be small.  Once the plants are potted up to larger pots, I have a large T-8 grow light system in the garage where I put the larger plants waiting for them to be put out in the garden.

Disadvantages.  Cost.  Not only does the Biodome cost but the refill spongy things will cost money every year.  You can't grow the plants very long in the tray because the cells are so close together.  Also, some gardeners have told me that because the growing solution is water, you are growing water roots as opposed to soil roots.???  I didn't have any trouble going from water solution to MM when I was ready to up-pot the tomatoes.  Also, some gardeners have complained that the spongy things don't decompose, but again, I didn't find any in my garden when I dug up the plants at the end of the summer.  Of course, my growing season begins 4/1 and doesn't end until late Oct so they have plenty of time to decompose.

The last two years, after the plants grew a bit, I then up-potted them to large plastic cups with holes cut in the bottom.  But I have been starting my own seeds now for about 4 years.  The first three years I used plastic cups or small 6 cell packs that I have collected over the years.  A good larger pot for tomatoes are the large plastic cups from fast food joints.  They are tall and the tomatoes have a lot of room to grow roots without getting root bound.

My suggestion is to start with the least expensive method the first year.  Make sure you like starting your own seeds before spending money on a seed starting setup.  It also depends on what type of seeds you want to start indoors.

PS - Park Seeds has sales all the time.  I also get the million emails from them what seems like everyday.
yolos

Female Posts : 3242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 1/5/2017, 7:33 pm

Hi Devvy! Welcome from just north of Atlanta, GA! Glad you've joined us...

Getting the kids involved will be great!

I've been using the Jiffy peat pots for a couple of years. But I don't like them enough to continue spending the money. This year I'll be using small plastic cups to start them in & up-pot to the big red Solo cups before transplanting.
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4178

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  devvy on 1/8/2017, 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for all the answers. I can see this will be a great place to learn!
devvy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 1/8/2017, 12:34 pm

Devvy,

Remember to try to keep this fun and not work. My first year, 2010  for example, was consumed with overload of information.  I would advise a newcomer to stick with the book and try to not be overly sidetracked by this forums' encyclopedia of extreme knowledge!  It can easily tie up your time well into the wee hours of the night.  

This was my experience and take from it what you want -  
I didn't start any seeds indoors the first year.  I was intimidated and short on knowledge.  The beauty of store bought transplants took a load off my shoulders the first year.  Then, as I checked dates in the planting guides in the back of the book,  I chose seeds I wanted to start directly Outside.  

Perhaps if I was more motivated that first year I would have invested the time and money to start up an indoor seedling area.   Don't push yourself into thinking you have to do and learn and know everything the first year! Horrors. My humble opinion.

There is so much help and information on this forum that you can go at your own pace.   Enjoy the ride!
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4822

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 1/11/2017, 6:59 am

I do like a heat mat for seed starting peppers, but the rest is small bathroom cups, moving up to large red solo cups.  And shop lights on chains for movable lighting.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4352

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen on 1/11/2017, 8:03 pm

Question:  I would like to avoid "up-potting" my seedlings.  Is there any way I can grow them where I can simply move them from the original pot (of whatever kind) into the garden?
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak on 1/11/2017, 11:33 pm

Sure, just start in the solo cups.  I've done that with tomatoes and peppers.  Usually use the smaller cups as I use a mix heavier in vermiculite for the first growth and get more on the heat mat.  I also start lettuce, spinach and other cool weather crops either directly in the garden or in the small cups and move straight to the garden, no up potting.  Did that with tomatoes that I was late starting.  Weather got good so moved directly from small cups to buckets.  A lot depends on how much space you have inside, timing of original planting, and what is happening outside.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4352

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/12/2017, 3:01 am

@walshevak wrote:Sure, just start in the solo cups.  I've done that with tomatoes and peppers.  Usually use the smaller cups as I use a mix heavier in vermiculite for the first growth and get more on the heat mat.  I also start lettuce, spinach and other cool weather crops either directly in the garden or in the small cups and move straight to the garden, no up potting.  Did that with tomatoes that I was late starting.  Weather got good so moved directly from small cups to buckets.  A lot depends on how much space you have inside, timing of original planting, and what is happening outside.  

Kay
This spring I was late getting the seedlings started indoors. I ended up planting directly from the 2" seed pots into the beds. The weather was cooperative. Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14233

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top