Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:24 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 10:41 pm

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:40 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:36 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» New England December 2017
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:45 pm

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:33 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 7:29 pm

» The start of the New Garden
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 1:35 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2017, 6:26 pm

» First Year Square Foot Gardening in Zone 9 South Mississippi
by CapeCoddess 12/8/2017, 3:09 pm

» A compost calculator
by kygardener 12/8/2017, 1:34 pm

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 12/8/2017, 8:46 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 12/7/2017, 1:45 pm

» Freeze warning
by sanderson 12/7/2017, 1:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by countrynaturals 12/7/2017, 12:14 pm

» Wind Damaged Broccoli
by Roseinarosecity 12/6/2017, 3:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Old Guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Old Guy

Post  drwebbsr on 1/30/2017, 5:28 pm

Hello,
Moved from Florida to N.E.Tennessee 15-16 yrs. ago (or thereabouts) and retired from a plant in Florida. Didn't know much except being a grease monkey and sheet metal, so I've had a lot to learn. Had some success with growing some trees and shrubs on a small piece of bottom land we purchased here. I picked up a used copy of Square Foot Gardening at Goodwill the other day and am currently reading it. Found this site via Google and I'm hoping that between the book, which I realize is outdated, and this site, I'll be able to grow a few veggies, etc for my wife and I. Oh yeah, I don't like weeds!! Mad
drwebbsr

Male Posts : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Old Guy

Post  countrynaturals on 1/30/2017, 5:44 pm

@drwebbsr wrote:Hello,
Moved from Florida to N.E.Tennessee 15-16 yrs. ago (or thereabouts) and retired from a plant in Florida. Didn't know much except being a grease monkey and sheet metal, so I've had a lot to learn. Had some success with growing some trees and shrubs on a small piece of bottom land we purchased here. I picked up a used copy of Square Foot Gardening at Goodwill the other day and am currently reading it. Found this site via Google and I'm hoping that between the book, which I realize is outdated, and this site, I'll be able to grow a few veggies, etc for my wife and I. Oh yeah, I don't like weeds!! Mad
glad you\'re here Welcome, drwebbsr. I am also still using the old book from the 1980s, so you aren't alone. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. We love pictures here, hint, hint, but be careful what you say about weeds -- I raise butterflies and they are very partial to weeds.  Razz
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2919

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/30/2017, 6:41 pm

Hi DrWebbSr! Welcome to the group! I'm in central Pennsylvania. I have both the old book, and a 1st edition version of the new book - and my garden is about 2/3 new version (raised beds with a blend of composts,vermiculite, and peat moss) and 1/3 old version square foot gardening (amended dirt.)

You should be able to get enough information from this site to get a new-version 4'x4' raised bed square foot garden going - you may be tempted to do more, but starting small makes it easier to learn a little at a time without getting overwhelmed. In my experience the new version of SFG has fewer weeds.

I'd recommend starting with this question: What vegetables do you and your wife love to eat?
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1322

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 1/30/2017, 8:43 pm

My suggestion is to go to the library and check out the All New Square Foot Gardening book. The method is TONS easier (no double digging, amending existing soil, etc.).

There are interesting things in the original book, but PLEASE follow the NEW method. I refused to do so until I moved and decided to try the new method. Then I wanted to kick myself for being so stubborn.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1972

View user profile http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/30/2017, 9:53 pm

glad you\'re here Hi, drwebbsr!  Can't wait to hear more about your plans!  I started with 4 re-purposed window boxes that are still going strong.  Last spring, I added a 4x4, and a few containers.  

This is a great method, I too did the original amended soil version in the early 90s.  The All New 2nd Ed is much easier, and less weedy, for sure!  It is a soilless medium.
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5511

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 1/30/2017, 10:28 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@drwebbsr wrote:Hello,
glad you\'re here Welcome, drwebbsr. I am also still using the old book from the 1980s, so you aren't alone. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. We love pictures here, hint, hint, but be careful what you say about weeds -- I raise butterflies and they are very partial to weeds.  Razz
Thank you for the welcome. I apologize for the weed remark in respect to the butterflies and hummingbirds as I spend quite a bit of time on the back deck enjoying them and I assure you, there are more weeds on our property than I could possibly destroy by natural methods. So, might I say that I don't like weeds that get in the the way of my activities! Embarassed
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 1/30/2017, 10:56 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hi DrWebbSr! Welcome to the group! I'm in central Pennsylvania. I have both the old book, and a 1st edition version of the new book - and my garden is about 2/3 new version (raised beds with a blend of composts,vermiculite, and peat moss) and 1/3 old version square foot gardening (amended dirt.)

You should be able to get enough information from this site to get a new-version 4'x4' raised bed square foot garden going - you may be tempted to do more, but starting small makes it easier to learn a little at a time without getting overwhelmed. In my experience the new version of SFG has fewer weeds.

I'd recommend starting with this question: What vegetables do you and your wife love to eat?
Thanks for the welcome BeetlesPerSqFt,
Do you find a big difference in the two soils? I vote for the new version of SFG, if it means fewer weeds! Sounds like a good recommendation about starting small and deciding what vegetables we like to eat, thanks.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 1/30/2017, 11:10 pm

@sfg4uKim wrote:My suggestion is to go to the library and check out the All New Square Foot Gardening book. The method is TONS easier (no double digging, amending existing soil, etc.).

There are interesting things in the original book, but PLEASE follow the NEW method. I refused to do so until I moved and decided to try the new method. Then I wanted to kick myself for being so stubborn.
Thanks for the suggestion sfg4uKim,
I shall see about getting my hands on the new version, though I must say, I have been known to be a might on the stubborn side myself.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 1/30/2017, 11:24 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:glad you\'re here Hi, drwebbsr!  Can't wait to hear more about your plans!  I started with 4 re-purposed window boxes that are still going strong.  Last spring, I added a 4x4, and a few containers.  

This is a great method, I too did the original amended soil version in the early 90s.  The All New 2nd Ed is much easier, and less weedy, for sure!  It is a soilless medium.
Thanks for the welcome Scorpio Rising,
Can't wait to continue reading and learning. Early 90's? Sounds like you have been doing this for awhile. Looking forward to absorbing info from this site and maybe adding some myself!
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: New Old Guy

Post  newbeone on 1/31/2017, 2:55 am

Welcome! There's a lot of Good People Here who love to help. I've only been in the Forum a short while myself and have been learning from there experience.
newbeone

Male Posts : 188

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 1/31/2017, 5:00 am

DrWebbsr, Welcome to the official SFG Forum from central California! glad you\'re here The All New SFG method is the easiest, by far. You will refer to the book many times so you might as well knuckle under and get a copy now. I read it in two days and it sold me. I started in March 2013 and now have all of my beds raised up off the ground because neighboring trees and bushes loved the nutritious Mel's Mix and their roots invaded the beds. In fact, half are 2' high table tops and I can grow everything in 6' of Mel's Mix. Well, not the sweet potatoes, they are in large storage totes. Welcome to the friendliest Forum.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15061

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/31/2017, 9:10 am

@drwebbsr wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hi DrWebbSr! Welcome to the group! I'm in central Pennsylvania. I have both the old book, and a 1st edition version of the new book - and my garden is about 2/3 new version (raised beds with a blend of composts,vermiculite, and peat moss) and 1/3 old version square foot gardening (amended dirt.)

Do you find a big difference in the two soils? I vote for the new version of SFG, if it means fewer weeds! Sounds like a good recommendation about starting small and deciding what vegetables we like to eat, thanks.
Absolutely. I haven't compared all my vegetables, and some did about the same, but others...wow. Shocked Seeing is believing, and I switched more of my garden from old to new at the end of this past season. I hesitate to say which vegetables did so much better because I don't think my results can be extrapolated that precisely -- your native soil is likely different than mine, so you might notice a difference in different plants than I did. I did find my new required more/different watering than my old - my amended dirt is still somewhat clay heavy.

One of the other thoughts that helped convince me is that with old you're diluting your work and money with dirt, but with the new style, you're concentrating it all on top. I'm keeping some old-style because I grow sunchokes, a tuber that is too invasive for raised beds. And because I like to eat weeds (purslane, lamb's quarters, plantain, dandelion, sorrel) that grow better in the old-style for me (again your results may vary.)

Come up with a list of 16 or fewer vegetables and herbs you and your wife enjoy and either share it here, or post
in your regional subforum, since gardeners more local to you will be better able to suggest good varieties for your climate - or suggest you skip certain ones until you've had a little more experience or a bigger garden. It looks like N.E. Tennessee is in the Middle South. Their regional forum is here:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/f9-middle-south
(Someone please correct me and provide the correct regional forum if I've gotten this wrong!)

If you've been convinced to buy another book, note that there are two editions. I have 1st edition (copyright 2006). This forum technically follows 2nd ((c)2013). My understanding is that it has better pictures/diagrams. A used online book site may save you some money. I've been buying used copies and giving them to friends who saw my garden and wanted to borrow my book.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1322

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 1/31/2017, 10:53 am

glad you\'re here drwebbersnr happy hi 
from Kelejan in British Columbia :canada: 

I reckon you have been given enough advice to be able to get a flying start this season.

I had the 1981 version of Square Foot Gardening on my bookshelf for years before one day I picked it up and decided to start the next day, digging up the garden as directed.  Luckily for me, that night I decided to have a look on the Internet and to my delight found that I did not have to do any digging. So I hope you have not begun to do any digging.

Off Topic: Do you live anywhere near The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee? I am a multi-year supporter.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5007

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 1/31/2017, 9:42 pm

Welcome drwebbsr
I'll give you a tip that in my opinion could open up the entire growing world to you
Learn and do your own composting, building up microbe structures that will take you to the top.
I always have these 2 books for they are without a doubt the most interesting books I have ever read. They are with me all the time and opened when I have a few moments.
Good gardening, happy to have you here.

jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1928

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 2/1/2017, 9:43 am

Hi drwebbsr. Welcome from Atlanta, GA. Sorry it's taken me a bit long to jump in... Was out of town for a couple of days.

But I'm glad you're here. And I'm also going to hold off on advice. I think you've already got quite a bit to consider. But know I'm here if you need to talk!
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4352

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 8:15 pm

@newbeone wrote:Welcome! There's a lot of Good People Here who love to help. I've only been in the Forum a short while myself and have been learning from there experience.
Thanks for the welcome, newbeone.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 8:27 pm

@sanderson wrote:DrWebbsr,  Welcome to the official SFG Forum from central California!  glad you\'re here  The All New SFG method is the easiest, by far.  You will refer to the book many times so you might as well knuckle under and get a copy now.  I read it in two days and it sold me.  I started in March 2013 and now have all of my beds raised up off the ground because neighboring trees and bushes loved the nutritious Mel's Mix and their roots invaded the beds.  In fact, half are 2' high table tops and I can grow everything in 6' of Mel's Mix.  Well, not the sweet potatoes, they are in large storage totes.  Welcome to the friendliest Forum.
Thanks for the welcome, sanderson.
Raised beds sound good to me. Easier for me to work!
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 8:40 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@drwebbsr wrote:

Absolutely. I haven't compared all my vegetables, and some did about the same, but others...wow. Shocked Seeing is believing, and I switched more of my garden from old to new at the end of this past season. I hesitate to say which vegetables did so much better because I don't think my results can be extrapolated that precisely -- your native soil is likely different than mine, so you might notice a difference in different plants than I did. I did find my new required more/different watering than my old - my amended dirt is still somewhat clay heavy.

One of the other thoughts that helped convince me is that with old you're diluting your work and money with dirt, but with the new style, you're concentrating it all on top. I'm keeping some old-style because I grow sunchokes, a tuber that is too invasive for raised beds. And because I like to eat weeds (purslane, lamb's quarters, plantain, dandelion, sorrel) that grow better in the old-style for me (again your results may vary.)

Come up with a list of 16 or fewer vegetables and herbs you and your wife enjoy and either share it here, or post
in your regional subforum, since gardeners more local to you will be better able to suggest good varieties for your climate - or suggest you skip certain ones until you've had a little more experience or a bigger garden. It looks like N.E. Tennessee is in the Middle South. Their regional forum is here:
http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/f9-middle-south
(Someone please correct me and provide the correct regional forum if I've gotten this wrong!)

If you've been convinced to buy another book, note that there are two editions. I have 1st edition (copyright 2006). This forum technically follows 2nd ((c)2013). My understanding is that it has better pictures/diagrams. A used online book site may save you some money. I've been buying used copies and giving them to friends who saw my garden and wanted to borrow my book.
Thanks for the useful information. I suppose I should start gathering supplies soon, as spring will be here before we know it.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 9:15 pm

@Kelejan wrote:glad you\'re here drwebbersnr happy hi 
from Kelejan in British Columbia :canada: 

I reckon you have been given enough advice to be able to get a flying start this season.

I had the 1981 version of Square Foot Gardening on my bookshelf for years before one day I picked it up and decided to start the next day, digging up the garden as directed.  Luckily for me, that night I decided to have a look on the Internet and to my delight found that I did not have to do any digging. So I hope you have not begun to do any digging.

Off Topic: Do you live anywhere near The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee? I am a multi-year supporter.
Thank you for the welcome, Kelejan. 
No, I haven't done any digging for this gardening project.

I didn't even know where Hohenwald,Tn. (location of the Elephant Sanctuary) was until I looked it up. Seems it's located in Lower Middle Tennessee, about 6hrs away from where we are.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 9:25 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:Welcome drwebbsr
I'll give you a tip that in my opinion could open up the entire growing world to you
Learn and do your own composting, building up microbe structures that will take you to the top.
I always have these 2 books for they are without a doubt the most interesting books I have ever read. They are with me all the time and opened when I have a few moments.
Good gardening, happy to have you here.

Thank you for the welcome, jimmy cee.
I have tried a little composting on a small scale and need to do more. I'll keep my eyes open for those books.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  drwebbsr on 2/2/2017, 9:31 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi drwebbsr.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.  Sorry it's taken me a bit long to jump in...  Was out of town for a couple of days.

But I'm glad you're here.  And I'm also going to hold off on advice.  I think you've already got quite a bit to consider.  But know I'm here if you need to talk!
Thank you for the welcome, AtlantaMarie.
drwebbsr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum