Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Drip system
by Al Gladding Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Tomato Tuesday 2018
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» N&C Midwest - April 2018–Snuck up on me!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:01 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Turan Yesterday at 7:48 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Turan Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» New England April 2018
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:54 pm

» Chickens and Composting
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Salvia
by Judy McConnell Yesterday at 8:55 am

» CANADIAN REGION:what are you doing in April 2018?
by Kelejan 4/22/2018, 10:50 pm

» Hi from Buffalo
by Nikko 4/22/2018, 4:24 pm

» Bird baths with solar powered pump
by sanderson 4/22/2018, 2:30 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by CapeCoddess 4/22/2018, 1:40 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson 4/22/2018, 2:27 am

» Jimmys new SFG beds in development.
by jimmy cee 4/21/2018, 11:32 pm

» Adding Soil to Mel's Mix
by jimmy cee 4/21/2018, 11:24 pm

» Vermiculite on the out in Ontario?
by jimmy cee 4/21/2018, 11:12 pm

» I am still in Zone 5a
by RJARPCGP 4/21/2018, 7:30 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 4/21/2018, 3:35 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 4/21/2018, 1:29 pm

» 2018 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson 4/21/2018, 1:25 pm

» 6 or 12 inch box for growing cherry tomatoes?
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2018, 11:39 am

» April Avatar: Spring is HERE!
by sanderson 4/20/2018, 4:18 pm

» Best drip system and timer?
by No_Such_Reality 4/20/2018, 12:59 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by jimmy cee 4/20/2018, 12:05 am

» Our Raised Garden Beds
by jimmy cee 4/19/2018, 11:53 pm

» anyone use fulvic acid before?
by sanderson 4/19/2018, 10:51 pm

» hantavirus
by RJARPCGP 4/19/2018, 7:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using Old Seeds

Go down

Using Old Seeds

Post  countrynaturals on 2/11/2017, 6:22 pm

Last month Katie found some old seeds that came from Amanda's pre-school. (Amanda is our granddaughter -- Katie's daughter -- former pre-school teacher.) The seeds were from 2011, so I didn't have much hope for them. I had already started some sugar snap peas from seed, to plant in the sfg. When it came time to set them out, I dumped the old seeds in front of them, just to see what would happen. Here's what I found, today. Can you believe it? Cool Now I don't know what to do with them. I know they don't like to be transplanted. Should I just leave them there and let them turn into a tangle?
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3266
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 2/11/2017, 7:38 pm

Do you have some branched/twiggy sticks that you can stick into the ground between the seedlings? That will give them some support besides each other and help them stay more upright -- with all the water you've had, you'll probably want them growing upwards so they get more ventilation/less ground contact.

Edited to add: Looks like sugar snap peas get to be 5-6ft tall, so go for taller sticks if you can. I was originally assuming these were shorter 2-3ft pea


Last edited by BeetlesPerSqFt on 2/11/2017, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : jumped the gun and hit send before looking up relevant variety specific info)
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1382
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a LF:5/11-FF:10/10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  donnainzone5 on 2/11/2017, 9:11 pm

The spacing looks good!  Why not get or use some cages or stakes and see what happens?

I recently did a seed inventory and discovered quite a few seed packets that were ancient.  Probably, I'll try the wet paper towel method to test germination on some of them.  If at least one of three or four don't sprout, out with them!

donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2215
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 70
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 2/11/2017, 10:11 pm

Agree!  Shove a support in there, trellis, or tall sticks.  Yum!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5836
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 56
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  countrynaturals on 2/12/2017, 12:11 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:The spacing looks good!  Why not get or use some cages or stakes and see what happens?

I recently did a seed inventory and discovered quite a few seed packets that were ancient.  Probably, I'll try the wet paper towel method to test germination on some of them.  If at least one of three or four don't sprout, out with them!
Give them plenty of time on that paper towel. These babies took at least 3 weeks to sprout. The seeds kept swelling and popping out of the dirt. I kept shoving them back down and covering them back up. I never thought they would actually do anything.  Shocked

I just went back and checked. Those seeds were planted on January 17.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3266
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  countrynaturals on 2/12/2017, 5:35 pm

Today I went through my old radish seeds. I found some from 2007. They are now planted with others from 2011, 2013, and last year, just to make sure I get something. I'll let you know what happens. Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3266
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  CapeCoddess on 4/8/2017, 3:40 pm

I have some pak choi seeds from 2012 that have had a downward spiraling germination rate over the years when I start them inside in the cell packs. So this year I decided to find out which ones were viable and not bother with the bad ones. I used the wet paper towel method last weekend and it looks like just about every one of them sprouted.

Hands down, this is the way I'll be handling old seeds from now on.
I'll allow some of these plants to bolt so I can collect more seed.
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6590
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  sanderson on 4/9/2017, 1:43 pm


____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15801
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  sanderson on 6/4/2017, 2:57 am

Husband added a second story to my garden industrial shelving in my computer room.  He set this box of seeds on the shelf while moving things around.  Seeds that I forgot I bought in 2012 from Baker Creek. Embarassed  Most have never been opened!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15801
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  countrynaturals on 6/4/2017, 9:41 am

@sanderson wrote:Husband added a second story to my garden industrial shelving in my computer room.  He set this box of seeds on the shelf while moving things around.  Seeds that I forgot I bought in 2012 from Baker Creek. Embarassed  Most have never been opened!
Time for a Zombie Garden? tongue
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3266
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  sanderson on 6/4/2017, 11:20 am

Razz Many of them are flowers.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15801
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  countrynaturals on 6/4/2017, 11:48 am

@sanderson wrote:Razz  Many of them are flowers.
Give them a chance. My 2012s have germinated quite well. Older than that -- not so much. Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 3266
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  SwampTroll on 6/5/2017, 10:11 am

I had old corn and bean seeds from 2014 and 2013.

I soaked them overnight and EVERY single corn kernel planted sprouted and as did 4 of 6 beans.

Reminds me I should probably have started my tomatoes already, but I'll probably end up buying plants - if I can find the ones that I want.

Still old seeds can still germinate, just at a much lower rate than their fresher counterparts.

I'm sooo looking forward to my corn harvest.
avatar
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 136
Join date : 2017-05-15
Age : 37
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

View user profile http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  trolleydriver on 6/5/2017, 11:03 am

@SwampTroll wrote:I had old corn and bean seeds from 2014 and 2013.

I soaked them overnight and EVERY single corn kernel planted sprouted and as did 4 of 6 beans.

Reminds me I should probably have started my tomatoes already, but I'll probably end up buying plants - if I can find the ones that I want.

Still old seeds can still germinate, just at a much lower rate than their fresher counterparts.

I'm sooo looking forward to my corn harvest.
ST ... I think you are too late to start tomatoes from seed in your location. I wish you all the best with your corn, beans and the garden as a whole.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4270
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  llama momma on 6/5/2017, 1:11 pm

Just a heads up from tons of reading -- in general, seed germination is typically the last thing that deteriorates with older seeds.  What you may want to do is take notes and see how vigorous the plant grows and produces for you since growth and production tend to falter before germination viability. Then you can decide if the seeds are worth planting next time.   Or you can look up seed vigor and viability to gain much more insight.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4865
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  trolleydriver on 6/5/2017, 1:16 pm

@llama momma wrote:Just a heads up from tons of reading -- in general, seed germination is typically the last thing that deteriorates with older seeds.  What you may want to do is take notes and see how vigorous the plant grows and produces for you since growth and production tend to falter before germination viability. Then you can decide if the seeds are worth planting next time.   Or you can look up seed vigor and viability to gain much more insight.
This is what I love about this forum. I learn new things every day from the members.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4270
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  llama momma on 6/5/2017, 2:41 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:
@llama momma wrote:Just a heads up from tons of reading -- in general, seed germination is typically the last thing that deteriorates with older seeds.  What you may want to do is take notes and see how vigorous the plant grows and produces for you since growth and production tend to falter before germination viability. Then you can decide if the seeds are worth planting next time.   Or you can look up seed vigor and viability to gain much more insight.
This is what I love about this forum. I learn new things every day from the members.
Made me smile, thanks.  I knew if I stuck around here long enough I'd learn some useful things to help and pass along to others, as so many have done for me the past 7 years.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4865
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  sanderson on 6/6/2017, 12:14 am

Interesting information.

Just realized my forgotten seeds are from My Patriot Supply, sealed in foil. They should be in good condition.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15801
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/6/2017, 4:46 pm

@sanderson wrote:

Just realized my forgotten seeds are from My Patriot Supply, sealed in foil.  They should be in good condition.

*whew*
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6590
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 62
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Old Seeds

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum