Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ayrshire Newbie
by robert1938 Today at 12:17 pm

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 12:02 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:53 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 9:53 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Today at 9:45 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:33 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by Turan Yesterday at 5:14 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:50 pm

» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:47 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by Turan Yesterday at 12:01 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 10/16/2017, 8:21 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/21/2017, 7:42 pm

reynajrainwater wrote:" />
Wow, Reyna!  Nice haul!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5345
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/21/2017, 7:44 pm

Suz, I love garden carrots!  

Beetles, how much did you get on the sweet potatoes?
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5345
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/21/2017, 10:38 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Suz, I love garden carrots!  

Beetles, how much did you get on the sweet potatoes?
I got about a half dozen very small potatoes and a few tiny ones - summed up, they were about the size of an average single sweet potato at the store. I started them pretty late because my intended purchase location ran out before I got there (and their supplier ran out, too) so I had to scramble for some rather sickly (but therefore free) slips. But the adjacent melons shading them out that was equally problematic.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson on 1/22/2017, 2:56 am

Beetles, I also had the shallow "bug" tunnels in some of my sweet potatoes. Didn't affect the taste and were easy to core with the tip of the potato peeler. First year, about 1 pound of "fingerlings." The totes spent a few weeks in no or weak sun. Second year, much better. Good sun, but put the tote lids underneath and the bottom ones were nasty. This coming summer I'm predicting success because I learned through errors. Embarassed

Suz, Nothing like a little tender carrot from the garden.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14753
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/23/2017, 6:53 pm

Split Pea soup using homegrown dried Alaska peas, parsnip, and garlic.
How to split peas? thinking Internet says "mechanically" without details.  Internet also says they "split naturally" but no indication about under what conditions that happens other than a "once the skins are removed." I wasn't sure I even wanted to try to skin peas. So the soup had whole peas; cooking didn't cause them to split. (I believe the new math answer is give half the peas to Mary and half the peas to Jimmy...)
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/24/2017, 8:06 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Split Pea soup using homegrown dried Alaska peas, parsnip, and garlic.
How to split peas? thinking Internet says "mechanically" without details.  Internet also says they "split naturally" but no indication about under what conditions that happens other than a "once the skins are removed." I wasn't sure I even wanted to try to skin peas. So the soup had whole peas; cooking didn't cause them to split. (I believe the new math answer is give half the peas to Mary and half the peas to Jimmy...)
Ha!  Never ever until this moment gave one thought as to the splitting of said split peas!?  Probably on a roller in a factory.  Maybe a rolling pin?  How was it?
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5345
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/24/2017, 8:14 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Split Pea soup using homegrown dried Alaska peas, parsnip, and garlic.
How to split peas? thinking Internet says "mechanically" without details.  Internet also says they "split naturally" but no indication about under what conditions that happens other than a "once the skins are removed." I wasn't sure I even wanted to try to skin peas. So the soup had whole peas; cooking didn't cause them to split. (I believe the new math answer is give half the peas to Mary and half the peas to Jimmy...)
Ha!  Never ever until this moment gave one thought as to the splitting of said split peas!?  Probably on a roller in a factory.  Maybe a rolling pin?  How was it?
It was good, I will grow Alaska peas again. But next time I either figure out how to split them, and or soak them overnight first. The fresh pea taste they had before they were cooked long enough to soften the whole peas through sufficiently to really eat, was really nice.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson on 1/24/2017, 10:03 pm

Anyone remember the commercial of Andersen's Split Pea soup?  

For dinner tonight, purple broccoli and purple cauliflower. The purple remains when steamed. Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14753
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 1/25/2017, 7:44 pm

Interesting about the purple remaining!  

Lol, yeah, I bet the peas were a balancing act!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5345
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver on 1/29/2017, 7:51 pm

I'm trying some Tomatillo Salsa that I canned in last year. Tastes pretty good.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3776
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/29/2017, 8:39 pm

One of the Burpee's butterbush squashes (miniature butternut for containers.) Wow. Shocked Tiny, but Very Flavorful. Way better than the grocery store butternuts. My plan has 4 of these in an Earthtainer (large sub-irrigated planter) ...I think I need to find some more 5-gallon buckets to grow in; my plan is out of full-season squares but I want MORE! hungry
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver on 1/29/2017, 9:58 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:One of the Burpee's butterbush squashes (miniature butternut for containers.) Wow. Shocked Tiny, but Very Flavorful. Way better than the grocery store butternuts. My plan has 4 of these in an Earthtainer (large sub-irrigated planter) ...I think I need to find some more 5-gallon buckets to grow in; my plan is out of full-season squares but I want MORE! hungry
Beetles ... Do containers need a lot of care, especially watering. I would like to try some but have stayed away because I am not always here on a daily basis to make sure they are watered.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3776
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/29/2017, 10:59 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:One of the Burpee's butterbush squashes (miniature butternut for containers.) Wow. Shocked Tiny, but Very Flavorful. Way better than the grocery store butternuts. My plan has 4 of these in an Earthtainer (large sub-irrigated planter) ...I think I need to find some more 5-gallon buckets to grow in; my plan is out of full-season squares but I want MORE! hungry
Beetles ... Do containers need a lot of care, especially watering. I would like to try some but have stayed away because I am not always here on a daily basis to make sure they are watered.
Where I live, and where I put the containers, yes. The regular containers I needed to water almost everyday (if it didn't rain that day.) The tomato grow bag I had was particularly 'needy.' The sub-irrigated planters (Earthbox, GrowBox, City Picker Planters) that have a reservoir and a plastic cover to prevent evaporation from the surface of the modified-MM were easier. Early and late in the season they only needed to topped off every few days (more is better, but.) But when it got really hot/sunny in the summer, and the plants had gotten big and were transpiring(sweating) a lot, I could only occasionally skip a day, and even that was causing some stress. Watering my containers was the main thing I needed my garden sitter for when I went on vacations.

If you're interested in the mini butternuts, they'd grow just fine in an SFG; if you're looking to increase your space, you might consider plants that can tolerate less sun, and put your containers in a place that doesn't get blasted midday so you can get away with watering less. I think your summer high temperatures are generally a few degrees lower than what I get. Much of my garden probably doesn't get quite enough sun, and my container locations probably get too much. But too much was better than not enough for me -- I had much better success with squash/melons under the too much option, even though the resulting watering was a chore.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  llama momma on 1/30/2017, 8:31 am

Used tomato powder in soup last night. So sweet it's like adding sugar and tomatoes. Powerful stuff when dehydrated and powdered.
avatar
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver on 1/30/2017, 8:41 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:One of the Burpee's butterbush squashes (miniature butternut for containers.) Wow. Shocked Tiny, but Very Flavorful. Way better than the grocery store butternuts. My plan has 4 of these in an Earthtainer (large sub-irrigated planter) ...I think I need to find some more 5-gallon buckets to grow in; my plan is out of full-season squares but I want MORE! hungry
Beetles ... Do containers need a lot of care, especially watering. I would like to try some but have stayed away because I am not always here on a daily basis to make sure they are watered.
Where I live, and where I put the containers, yes. The regular containers I needed to water almost everyday (if it didn't rain that day.) The tomato grow bag I had was particularly 'needy.' The sub-irrigated planters (Earthbox, GrowBox, City Picker Planters) that have a reservoir and a plastic cover to prevent evaporation from the surface of the modified-MM were easier. Early and late in the season they only needed to topped off every few days (more is better, but.) But when it got really hot/sunny in the summer, and the plants had gotten big and were transpiring(sweating) a lot, I could only occasionally skip a day, and even that was causing some stress. Watering my containers was the main thing I needed my garden sitter for when I went on vacations.

If you're interested in the mini butternuts, they'd grow just fine in an SFG; if you're looking to increase your space, you might consider plants that can tolerate less sun, and put your containers in a place that doesn't get blasted midday so you can get away with watering less. I think your summer high temperatures are generally a few degrees lower than what I get. Much of my garden probably doesn't get quite enough sun, and my container locations probably get too much. But too much was better than not enough for me -- I had much better success with squash/melons under the too much option, even though the resulting watering was a chore.
Thanks Beetles. I think we are away too much in the summer and they would not survive unless I hire a garden sitter to water them.  Very Happy

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3776
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson on 2/3/2017, 5:46 am

From the store, wild caught salmon; from the garden tender purple broccoli and frozen roasted sweet potatoes.  Husband is in Texas visiting his kiddies.  Before he left he asked what I needed from the grocery store.  I thought about it and realized I had lots of fresh greens outside, plenty of frozen sweet potatoes and winter squash, and plenty of frozen meat.  How great it is to have one's own garden and put up food. Very Happy  Some have bouquets of flowers; I have a bouquet of greens in water for tomorrow!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14753
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/3/2017, 12:26 pm

YUM!  I make bouquets of greens, too....when I have them.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: What are You eating fro Your garden today?

Post  newbeone on 2/3/2017, 12:57 pm

Today I went out and cut Kale, Chard, beet greens and some Fresh parsley and dill for a salad, I had to use store bought Tomatoes and cucumbers but it was still good 
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 173
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: What are You Eating from Your Garden Today?

Post  newbeone on 2/3/2017, 1:14 pm

Hope I'm Not Doing Something Wrong, But trolleydriver was asking about watering containers, Up in zone 4 I was using Larry Hall's Gutter garden Method,  He's on Face Book. I haven't used it down here zone 8-9 afraid I would end up cooking some plants before their time with the heat down here.
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 173
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CapeCoddess on 2/4/2017, 3:03 pm

HA!  I just found a yummy winter diakon in the back of the fridge that I'd pulled last month.  Sliced it up and it went into my shrimp salad!  YUM! It wasn't even 'bendy' yet!
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6454
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals on 2/4/2017, 3:07 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:HA!  I just found a yummy winter diakon in the back of the fridge that I'd pulled last month.  Sliced it up and it went into my shrimp salad!  YUM!  It wasn't even 'bendy' yet!
Mine are still in the sfg. We've never tried them, so it should be interesting. I only have 3, but they look good. Cool
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2635
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  MrBooker on 2/7/2017, 5:40 pm

Parsnips, turnips and carrots.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver on 2/7/2017, 6:55 pm

Excellent Mr. B.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3776
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 2/7/2017, 7:53 pm

MrBooker wrote:Parsnips, turnips and carrots.
Question, do you just leave the leaves on the SFG and incorporate them into the MM?  I have tons of leaves, literally!  I have the city remove them in the fall.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5345
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 2/7/2017, 11:20 pm

Above freezing (though rainy and dismal) so I pried out leeks to include in dinner. Come spring I'll bury their protective heap of leaves in small pockets in the bed - but the volume is small overall. Until I get my compost tumbler, the bulk of my leaves (which isn't much) will go to the OSFG part of my garden -- particularly where the Jerusalem artichokes and Chinese artichokes will be; they seem quite tolerant or maybe even appreciative of uncomposted leaves (and some horse manure to balance.)
Also used some of my dried tarragon in dinner - I'm surprised how flavorful it is.

Two days ago I found a 2015 rutabega in the back of the fridge Shocked and had it as part of dinner. Still good!! Makes me extra disappointed that my rutabegas didn't work out this year, and more determined to make sure things work out this year.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum