Square Foot Gardening Forum

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Today at 11:59

» N & C Midwest: March 2017 Brink of Spring
by sanderson Today at 11:57

» Hello from South Mississippi
by sanderson Today at 11:55

» Hello from Ontario
by sanderson Today at 11:53

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by sanderson Today at 11:52

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 11:36

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by sanderson Today at 11:26

» Growing Strawberries in Charlotte
by sanderson Today at 11:24

» An excellent read for those with Diabetes
by Ginger Blue Today at 10:32

» SUGA 2017
by SQWIB Today at 10:09

» who has chickens
by countrynaturals Today at 9:23

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 9:15

» Growing zucchini in containers
by yolos Today at 6:00

» Hello from Richmond
by AtlantaMarie Today at 3:25

» Double layer weed cloth/landscape fabric?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 3:20

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by newbeone Today at 1:18

» Hello from Southeast Michigan!
by sanderson Today at 1:09

» Wick Irrigation
by sanderson Today at 0:17

» Watering System -- Finally!
by CitizenKate Yesterday at 21:47

» Mirrors in the Garden
by ralitaco Yesterday at 19:06

» Friend or foe?
by sanderson Yesterday at 17:08

» Comfrey
by llama momma Yesterday at 12:23

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:27

» March: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:03

» Medical Herbs
by Ginger Blue Yesterday at 7:39

» 1st SFG Plan - Any thoughts?
by herblover Yesterday at 6:04

» New from OK City
by sanderson Yesterday at 0:18

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 0:05

» Hello all
by sanderson Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 23:59

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 19:09

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone want onion seeds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone want onion seeds?

Post  Ginger Blue on Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 7:53

I have three packets of onion seeds, purchased last year, which I've realized I'm never going to use. No Rather than throw them away, I figured I'd see if anyone here wants them, while we're still in sowing season. Cool

One pack each of the following varieties, are free to good homes:

Granex Hybrid Yellow (short day)
Red Burgundy (short day)
Gladstone (intermediate to long day)

Let me know if you're interested.

GB
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 186

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone want onion seeds?

Post  sanderson on Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 9:54

If I understand correctly, these 2 varieties are good for southern regions of the US.

Red Burgundy (short day)

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13198

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 12:49

I'd love the Gladstone please.  I'm completely out of ball onion seeds. I'll PM you. 
Thanks.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on Tue 14 Feb 2017 - 6:50

@CapeCoddess wrote:I'd love the Gladstone please.  I'm completely out of ball onion seeds. I'll PM you. 
Thanks.

Excellent! I'll drop them in the mail today. cheers
Ginger Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on Wed 15 Feb 2017 - 2:27

@sanderson wrote:If I understand correctly, these 2 varieties are good for southern regions of the US.

Red Burgundy (short day)

Yes; short day onions grow best in the south.  Before I knew better, I bought the seeds at a local garden center, assuming they'd be well suited to this area. Rolling Eyes

The "Granex" and "Red Burgundy" seeds are still up for grabs.  I'll hold on to them through this weekend (2/19), then donate them, if unclaimed.
Ginger Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LAgirlInBama on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 14:38

I'm going to assume that since today is 3/3 that these have been donated, but if they haven't, I'd LOVE to give them a home in some southern dirt.

Sorry I didn't post sooner, as I just got here today. rock on
LAgirlInBama

Female Posts : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 15:29

@LAgirlInBama wrote:I'm going to assume that since today is 3/3 that these have been donated, but if they haven't, I'd LOVE to give them a home in some southern dirt.

If Ginger Blue doesn't have them anymore, PM me - I, too, have some Red Burgundy onion seeds that need to be re-homed. I thought local (albeit big box store) garden centers would be selling appropriate onions for where I am,  lots o but nope: these short day onions need to head south!
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 754

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LAgirlInBama on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 15:38

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@LAgirlInBama wrote:I'm going to assume that since today is 3/3 that these have been donated, but if they haven't, I'd LOVE to give them a home in some southern dirt.

If Ginger Blue doesn't have them anymore, PM me - I, too, have some Red Burgundy onion seeds that need to be re-homed. I thought local (albeit big box store) garden centers would be selling appropriate onions for where I am,  lots o but nope: these short day onions need to head south!
Oh, thank you!
LAgirlInBama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 17:05

Welcome to the forum, LAgirl! happy hi

I do still have the seeds, and I'd love to share them with you!  Please send me a PM with your address.

GB
Ginger Blue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LAgirlInBama on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 17:22

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

Ginger Blue has them still! I'm not sure how many there are, but I would hate to take them from you if someone else could use them. I'm just not selfish like that. I have friends nearby who also have started gardening this season. I'm going to get them to join this forum and maybe you might send yours to them if they want/need them. 

Thank you so very much for the offer. I've never felt so welcome to a new place in my life!
LAgirlInBama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LAgirlInBama on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 17:23

@Ginger Blue wrote:Welcome to the forum, LAgirl! happy hi

I do still have the seeds, and I'd love to share them with you!  Please send me a PM with your address.

GB
I sent you a PM. I can't thank you enough.
LAgirlInBama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 17:54

@LAgirlInBama wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

Ginger Blue has them still! I'm not sure how many there are, but I would hate to take them from you if someone else could use them. I'm just not selfish like that. I have friends nearby who also have started gardening this season. I'm going to get them to join this forum and maybe you might send yours to them if they want/need them. 

Thank you so very much for the offer. I've never felt so welcome to a new place in my life!
I absolutely support getting your friends into gardening!  good job! I ended up buying used (cheap) copies of the All New Square Foot Gardening book for two of my friends because they got into it and both wanted to borrow my book -- but I find I still refer to it too often to loan for long. Let me know about the onion seeds by the 8th of April because I have an event that includes a seed swap in a southerly direction after that, and I planned to bring these if they didn't find a home on the forum.

Yes, it's a very friendly forum! I "don't do social media" - but I'm glad I made exception for this place. I visited and learned a lot for a year before joining, and felt it was time to start giving back to the group that had been providing me with so much information. reading
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 754

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LAgirlInBama on Fri 3 Mar 2017 - 18:32

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@LAgirlInBama wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

I absolutely support getting your friends into gardening!  good job! I ended up buying used (cheap) copies of the All New Square Foot Gardening book for two of my friends because they got into it and both wanted to borrow my book -- but I find I still refer to it too often to loan for long. Let me know about the onion seeds by the 8th of April because I have an event that includes a seed swap in a southerly direction after that, and I planned to bring these if they didn't find a home on the forum.

Yes, it's a very friendly forum! I "don't do social media" - but I'm glad I made exception for this place. I visited and learned a lot for a year before joining, and felt it was time to start giving back to the group that had been providing me with so much information. reading
I really can't say that I got them into gardening. I may have influenced them a little, but I think they were already going to do it this year. I did do some seed trading with them, which was really good because the packages come with so many seeds!!
LAgirlInBama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum