Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What's Up? Yukon gold potatoes!
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:24 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 10:41 pm

» New Composter - Need Help Filling Correctly
by saganco Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» The Research Journey:cardboard covering of newly planted seeds
by saganco Yesterday at 9:43 pm

» Sauerkraut & fermenting veggies
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:40 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 6:36 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» Winter Sowing vs. Winter Growing
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:44 am

» New England December 2017
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:45 pm

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:40 pm

» Garden Clean-Up/Preparation
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 10:33 pm

» 5-BOOK BUNDLE GIVEAWAY - ENDS 12/1/17
by No_Such_Reality 12/10/2017, 4:15 pm

» N&C MW; Deep Winter December/January 2017-2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2017, 1:36 pm

» December: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas
by countrynaturals 12/10/2017, 1:24 pm

» Spring Fever Anyone?
by brianj555 12/10/2017, 12:50 pm

» WARNING! Please Read! (Especially Grandparents)
by Scorpio Rising 12/9/2017, 8:53 pm

» Mid-South: December 2017
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 7:29 pm

» The start of the New Garden
by brianj555 12/9/2017, 1:35 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2017, 6:26 pm

» First Year Square Foot Gardening in Zone 9 South Mississippi
by CapeCoddess 12/8/2017, 3:09 pm

» A compost calculator
by kygardener 12/8/2017, 1:34 pm

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 12/8/2017, 8:46 am

» California's Drought
by countrynaturals 12/7/2017, 1:45 pm

» Freeze warning
by sanderson 12/7/2017, 1:04 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in December 2017
by countrynaturals 12/7/2017, 12:14 pm

» Wind Damaged Broccoli
by Roseinarosecity 12/6/2017, 3:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

HI from South Alabama

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HI from South Alabama

Post  LAgirlInBama on 3/3/2017, 5:43 pm

I'm pretty new at gardening. We had around 6 acres of garden when I was young. I worked it every year. Unfortunately, I was young enough that I didn't know that I should be paying attention. 

Now I'm venturing into growing my own food as an adult. Last year, I managed to kill tomatoes and nearly kill peppers. It was a GREAT learning experience. 

This year, I learned about Square Foot Gardening. So far, I am doing  a good job of keeping the plants alive. I'm pretty excited about my gigantic harvest I'm expecting.
avatar
LAgirlInBama

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-03-03
Location : South Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 3/3/2017, 6:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, LAGirlInBama! I grew up with a garden, too, and had my first year failures as well -- give it another year or two and some of it will start to come back to you; you'll read things here on the forum and realize you've sidestepped a few small mistakes here and there because you subconsciously remembered things you learned from back then.

Tell us more about your garden, what plants have you got growing now? Are you growing in ANSFG raised beds already, or are now planning on adding some? (We love garden pics if you can manage it!)

I'm in central PA, currently below freezing, so not much going on here yet. I have some winter gardening that's more experimental in quantity (if I eat it, the experiment ends) and I have my earliest stuff started indoors (onions, celeriac, broccoli, and cabbage.) So I (and other folks still in winter) like to hear about green things. sunny

-Beetles
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1322
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  ralitaco on 3/3/2017, 7:49 pm

LAGirl, 
Welcome to the forum from Coastal NC. You have come to the right place for SFG knowledge and then some. We are a very friendly bunch, if I may say so myself...well that is unless you don't post any pictures, then some of us get a little pushy   Razz
Seriously, we love pictures so be sure to post some as you go along.
avatar
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1045
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  LAgirlInBama on 3/3/2017, 7:54 pm

I'm not sure what ANSFG beds are, but mine are raised. I have two. They are 4' x 8' x 1', which I later found out was actually deeper than required, but I'm not upset about it. It took a little extra dirt to fill it was all.

In the first bed, I have several varieties of tomatoes and peppers, onions, squash, tomatillos, and eggplant. I'm testing varieties to see which we like best and which produce best. In my second, I will have bush beans, pole beans, more squash, cucumbers, greens and a few more peppers. I didn't realize how to properly group them for crop rotation, so I have a little bit of mixed stuff. At least I got most of my nightshades together in the first box.

In addition to that, I also have several buckets of peppers, which I hope to keep alive until next year, and also some containers with herbs, radishes, and a few varieties of potatoes.


The photo, if I attached it correctly, is of my garden on 2/26 shortly after I transplanted. My babies have grown so much since then.


Last edited by LAgirlInBama on 3/3/2017, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photo)
avatar
LAgirlInBama

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-03-03
Location : South Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  countrynaturals on 3/3/2017, 8:25 pm

happy hi LAgirl. Welcome from Redding, CA. Looks like you're old school sfg like me, planting in dirt. ANSFG is "All New" and uses Mel's Mix, a soil-less growing medium. This is my 2nd year and my "bountiful harvest" from last year was a handful of cucumbers and a few tomatoes. I've learned (the hard way) that I garden much better in the winter than I do in the summer.  glad you\'re here Can't wait to see more pictures as your babies grow. sunny
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2919
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  LAgirlInBama on 3/3/2017, 8:33 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:happy hi LAgirl. Welcome from Redding, CA. Looks like you're old school sfg like me, planting in dirt. ANSFG is "All New" and uses Mel's Mix, a soil-less growing medium. This is my 2nd year and my "bountiful harvest" from last year was a handful of cucumbers and a few tomatoes. I've learned (the hard way) that I garden much better in the winter than I do in the summer.  glad you\'re here Can't wait to see more pictures as your babies grow. sunny
Yes, I guess I'm Old School. I'm using peat moss and composted material. I couldn't find vermiculite to do Mel's recipe. Most of what I have learned, I've learned online as I haven't bought his book yet, but I plan to. I'm going to try to take some of the classes too. 

We did pretty well with our peppers last year (in buckets) once we figured out that they were partially underneath an oak tree that was trying to kill them...We almost saved our pepper plants over the harsh southern winter. (Temperatures dropped below 50 a few times.) We did actually have a few freezing nights, and we kept them alive through them. The very last freezing night got into the 20s and killed our peppers. We're going to do better this year.
avatar
LAgirlInBama

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-03-03
Location : South Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  RoOsTeR on 3/3/2017, 8:43 pm

@LAgirlInBama wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:happy hi LAgirl. Welcome from Redding, CA. Looks like you're old school sfg like me, planting in dirt. ANSFG is "All New" and uses Mel's Mix, a soil-less growing medium. This is my 2nd year and my "bountiful harvest" from last year was a handful of cucumbers and a few tomatoes. I've learned (the hard way) that I garden much better in the winter than I do in the summer.  glad you\'re here Can't wait to see more pictures as your babies grow. sunny
Yes, I guess I'm Old School. I'm using peat moss and composted material. I couldn't find vermiculite to do Mel's recipe. Most of what I have learned, I've learned online as I haven't bought his book yet, but I plan to. I'm going to try to take some of the classes too. 

We did pretty well with our peppers last year (in buckets) once we figured out that they were partially underneath an oak tree that was trying to kill them...We almost saved our pepper plants over the harsh southern winter. (Temperatures dropped below 50 a few times.) We did actually have a few freezing nights, and we kept them alive through them. The very last freezing night got into the 20s and killed our peppers. We're going to do better this year.

Welcome!
Sorry for your loss pale

____________________________


I am my gardens worst enemy.
avatar
RoOsTeR

Forum Administrator

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  LAgirlInBama on 3/3/2017, 8:46 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:
@LAgirlInBama wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:happy hi LAgirl. Welcome from Redding, CA. Looks like you're old school sfg like me, planting in dirt. ANSFG is "All New" and uses Mel's Mix, a soil-less growing medium. This is my 2nd year and my "bountiful harvest" from last year was a handful of cucumbers and a few tomatoes. I've learned (the hard way) that I garden much better in the winter than I do in the summer.  glad you\'re here Can't wait to see more pictures as your babies grow. sunny
Yes, I guess I'm Old School. I'm using peat moss and composted material. I couldn't find vermiculite to do Mel's recipe. Most of what I have learned, I've learned online as I haven't bought his book yet, but I plan to. I'm going to try to take some of the classes too. 

We did pretty well with our peppers last year (in buckets) once we figured out that they were partially underneath an oak tree that was trying to kill them...We almost saved our pepper plants over the harsh southern winter. (Temperatures dropped below 50 a few times.) We did actually have a few freezing nights, and we kept them alive through them. The very last freezing night got into the 20s and killed our peppers. We're going to do better this year.

Welcome!
Sorry for your loss pale
lol!

Thank you for the Welcome.

My gardening motto is: Every gardening loss is an educational gain.

So, I really feel like I've gained more than I lost.
avatar
LAgirlInBama

Female Posts : 10
Join date : 2017-03-03
Location : South Alabama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  ralitaco on 3/4/2017, 12:20 am

@LAgirlInBama wrote:My gardening motto is: Every gardening loss is an educational gain.

So, I really feel like I've gained more than I lost.
I think you are going to fit in nicely with our forum members
avatar
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1045
Join date : 2010-04-04
Location : Hampstead, NC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  sanderson on 3/4/2017, 4:30 am

LA Girl, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 15061
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  trolleydriver on 3/4/2017, 7:47 am

LAgirl ... I'm late but I want to offer you a warm welcome to the forum from Ottawa, Canada.

:canada:

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3922
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HI from South Alabama

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum