Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 2017 corn pictures
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:44 am

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:43 am

» Hello gardener's
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:42 am

» The Best Steps for Storing Tomatillos
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:38 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:52 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Turan Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 6:20 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» New England August 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:45 pm

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Baba Ghanoush
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:30 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:09 am

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/19/2017, 8:58 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver 8/19/2017, 1:04 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma 8/18/2017, 1:40 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver 8/18/2017, 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR 8/17/2017, 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bird's Eye View of Your Garden

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bird's Eye View of Your Garden

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/11/2017, 10:05 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:How are you guys doing this?  I cannot get a picture of my house aerially.

Me either. Everytime I try to zoom in close enough to see my SFG it turns sideways and I get a shot of the front of the yard and house, showing my mother and her friends sitting on the front porch.
Rolling Eyes
Hahaha!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5113

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 3/11/2017, 10:27 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:How are you guys doing this?  I cannot get a picture of my house aerially.

Me either. Everytime I try to zoom in close enough to see my SFG it turns sideways and I get a shot of the front of the yard and house, showing my mother and her friends sitting on the front porch.
Rolling Eyes
Laughing Mine vanishes! Looks like it turns into a pile of rubble. There was, I've heard, a 'bunker' here before the house, so I guess the street view precedes the house being delivered/built.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1136

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/12/2017, 10:42 am

I wonder who will be the first to have a drone camera showing pictures of their garden.
Should be quite interesting, I would love it.

My picture of my garden was taken with a drone.Smile
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 3/12/2017, 11:22 am

@GWN wrote:I thought I would try posting this here, now that I have just learned how to.  As you can see my situation is very different from most people here. I have 1.8 acres. , about 1 acre is in trees though. So from the front of this picture down the left along fence are raspberries/blackberries and then a little in from them the big bushy grapes, then going back are the SFGs and I have about 1100 sq ft of them. Down the right side are raspberries, and behind house is my BTE garden.  Many of the SFG do not show as they are obscured by fruit trees that I have about 10 of.  Sorry for duplicate posting.

Ooo, this is what our place wants to be when it grows up. I love you We have 2.5 acres. About half of it is horse and goat areas. We have been here 4 years, but the first 3 were in drought, so we couldn't do much. Now we're expanding, but don't want to start in any new areas because we're "water shy" of future shortages, so we're adding more gardens where we already have irrigation. Love your setup.
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2380

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/12/2017, 11:27 am

Ooo, this is what our place wants to be when it grows up.  We have 2.5 acres. About half of it is horse and goat areas. We have been here 4 years, but the first 3 were in drought, so we couldn't do much. Now we're expanding, but don't want to start in any new areas because we're "water shy" of future shortages, so we're adding more gardens where we already have irrigation. Love your setup. 

It is kind of funny, but I just posted on the butterfly site, being envious of your  place, in that you said you have a view.  We have no water shortage here, but I still try to conserve. I have neighbours on both sides who only  have lawn and they water an acre of lawn every day.  In fact, I am pretty sure that is what killed one of my grape plants this year, I think it drowned.
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 3/12/2017, 11:34 am

@ralitaco wrote:very nice. How far back do you go?
The picture is pretty close to showing the whole thing. There's a steep drop at the back that goes down to a seasonal creek, not on our property, so nobody can build back there. The goats and horses use our side of that area, but it's too steep and rocky for human use. Beyond that, the whole area drops down gradually to the valley floor, making for great views.  Cool
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 3/12/2017, 11:39 am

@yolos wrote:Not a very good shot but it is all I can seem to get.  This picture is a few years old so about the only value in posting it here is to show all the trees surrounding my garden.  The garden is in the lower middle portion of the picture surrounded on three sides by trees.  Thanks ralitaco I finally figured out how to save it to word and then save it as a jpg file.
Beautiful setup. Are those garden beds in front of south-facing windows on the house? Does my X-ray vision see happy plants behind them, laughing at winter? geek
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 3/12/2017, 11:42 am

@jimmy cee wrote:I wonder who will be the first to have a drone camera showing pictures of their garden.
I'm gonna ask around and see if I know anybody who has one. That would really be fun. Very Happy
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 3/12/2017, 11:46 am

@sanderson wrote:Yolos,  Beautiful spread.  I think your house is as big as my whole lot! Shocked
That is possible.  It was built as a Four Generation house.  My mother died and my dad was becoming forgetful and lived down in the Florida Keys.  My daughter was married about a year before we built this house and lived around the corner from me in my old house.  We were all paying separately for water, electric, cable, garbage, pool upkeep, etc so all three of us sold our houses and had this house built.  The house is built in an L shape with a garage in the corner of the L.  There is a 1200 square foot apartment over the garage and partially over my side of the house that was built for my father.  Kitchen, bedroom and large family room with his own entrance and a small porch extending out.  I have a 1200 square foot apartment on the smaller leg of the L.  Bedroom, Office, Kitchen and large family room with my own entrance.  It has a very large screened porch attached.  Then my daughter and her husband have the larger portion of the L.  The house is on a slight slope so we had them put in a basement for any grandchildren that might come along.  When my grandson was born, we finished the basement.  My daughters side of the house also has a long, big porch.  So a lot of what you see in the roof line is porches.

We never made it to Four Generations living in the house.  My father died a year before my grandson was born.  So now we use his portion of the house as a guest apartment.  We can have guests who are out of our hair a lot of the time and can make their own breakfast or lunch when it suits them.  It also stays clean with no one messing it up between visits so we do not panic whenever someone says they want to come visit.
yolos

Female Posts : 3247

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/12/2017, 12:54 pm

That is possible.  It was built as a Four Generation house.  My mother died and my dad was becoming forgetful and lived down in the Florida Keys.  My daughter was married about a year before we built this house and lived around the corner from me in my old house.  We were all paying separately for water, electric, cable, garbage, pool upkeep, etc so all three of us sold our houses and had this house built.  The house is built in an L shape with a garage in the corner of the L.  There is a 1200 square foot apartment over the garage and partially over my side of the house that was built for my father.  Kitchen, bedroom and large family room with his own entrance and a small porch extending out.  I have a 1200 square foot apartment on the smaller leg of the L.  Bedroom, Office, Kitchen and large family room with my own entrance.  It has a very large screened porch attached.  Then my daughter and her husband have the larger portion of the L.  The house is on a slight slope so we had them put in a basement for any grandchildren that might come along.  When my grandson was born, we finished the basement.  My daughters side of the house also has a long, big porch.  So a lot of what you see in the roof line is porches.

What a wonderful story/concept.  Seems it would make so much sense,  with regards to child care/elder care/care for the home when you are way.  NICE
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/12/2017, 4:00 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@jimmy cee wrote:I wonder who will be the first to have a drone camera showing pictures of their garden.
I'm gonna ask around and see if I know anybody who has one. That would really be fun. Very Happy
Thanks, guys. I had a nightmare that there was a drone over my backyard!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14403

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 3/12/2017, 4:15 pm

I had a nightmare that there was a drone over my backyard!

you sure it was a dream? I have heard that ?? fedex was using them.
GWN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/13/2017, 2:25 am

Very Happy Yep a dream. No flying fedex here.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14403

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee on 3/13/2017, 10:25 am

@yolos wrote:
@sanderson wrote:Yolos,  Beautiful spread.  I think your house is as big as my whole lot! Shocked

We never made it to Four Generations living in the house.  My father died a year before my grandson was born.  So now we use his portion of the house as a guest apartment.  We can have guests who are out of our hair a lot of the time and can make their own breakfast or lunch when it suits them.  It also stays clean with no one messing it up between visits so we do not panic whenever someone says they want to come visit.

My son is adding an addition for me onto his house now. As soon as I move in it will become a 3 generation home.
Hopefully  I'll be around to see a fourth generation.
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1917

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 3/13/2017, 11:44 am

@ralitaco wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:Everytime I try to zoom in close enough to see my SFG it turns sideways and I get a shot of the front of the yard and house, showing my mother and her friends sitting on the front porch.
Rolling Eyes
When you zoom in too much, google switches to street view. Just zoom out 1 click and grab the screenshot. Then crop the photo so it is just your lot.

OK, I did this thinking it was a great idea but the resulting photo is too blurry to make out anything, even if left smallish.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 3/13/2017, 12:17 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:

My son is adding an addition for me onto his house now. As soon as I move in it will become a 3 generation home.
Hopefully  I'll be around to see a fourth generation.
We're 2-generational on the same property under separate roofs. 3rd generation across town with a wedding coming in June and 4th generation already in the plans. 
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum