Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Thumbs Up????
by brianj555 Today at 11:09 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 10:09 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by No_Such_Reality Today at 9:57 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:16 am

» Hello from West Coast Of Scotland
by AtlantaMarie Today at 9:08 am

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by RoOsTeR Today at 7:43 am

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by sanderson Today at 12:17 am

» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:21 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:16 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:14 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:17 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:12 pm

» New England October 2017
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:09 pm

» October Avatar: Don't Fence Me In
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:45 am

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 3:51 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver 10/15/2017, 3:28 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 10/15/2017, 11:34 am

» Leaf-Footed squash bugs
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 11:21 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 10/14/2017, 9:06 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 5:52 pm

» large plant ID stakes
by has55 10/14/2017, 4:02 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:12 am

» First time growing corn
by sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:07 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 10/14/2017, 1:56 am

» who has chickens
by sanderson 10/13/2017, 2:29 am

» Disappointed...Italian Long Hots...and tomatoes
by Ginger Blue 10/12/2017, 7:41 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hullo from SW Ohio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hullo from SW Ohio

Post  MBroman on 3/31/2017, 11:55 am

This is my first year. My parents have done SFG for years so I do have a good resource I can turn to as needed.  Smile 

So far I have been learning:

• My 8yr old son can assemble the cedar boxes by himself (yay for him!). 
  • The gardening powers made a mass decision to change my Zone from 5 to 6 - so I have to recalibrate my planting schedule...by tomorrow!
  • I have the feeling that strawberries are going to be the bane of my summer; forever trimming runners so they don't take over the box. 
  • The first year is expensive!  affraid
  • Ibuprofen is my friend.
  • I'm excited to grow HERBS.

Here's to a great 2017!
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hullo from SW Ohio

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 3/31/2017, 4:15 pm

Welcome to the forum MBroman!

The first year is expensive, but it averages out as you use the garden.

Herbs are awesome! They are flavorful, good for you, and a huge cost savings: At least where I'm at, the grocery sells fresh herbs in little bags for $2-3 each... at it works out to over $50/lb! I use herbs more than I used to because they are right outside the door, and 'free.' 

I have my perennial herbs (sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, tarragon, and chives) permanently planted in separate beds, but mix the annuals (basil, marjoram, parsley, cilantro, and dill) into my SFG. If you like horseradish -y flavors, look into growing a nasturtium or two.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 3/31/2017, 8:59 pm

Hi Broman, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here I mentioned in your other post about All New Square Foot Gardening, no dirt, no tilling, same results.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14751

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/31/2017, 9:15 pm

Hey Broman!  Welcome!  Sounds like you are off to a great start, what do you like to eat?  Ever garden before?  

So glad you found us, I would love it if you would check us out on N & C Midwest regional post, we share some weather, and schedules, veggies etc....

I will start an April thread tomorrow!   glad you\'re here
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5344

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/1/2017, 10:15 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I have my perennial herbs (sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, tarragon, and chives) permanently planted in separate beds, but mix the annuals (basil, marjoram, parsley, cilantro, and dill) into my SFG. If you like horseradish -y flavors, look into growing a nasturtium or two.

I will have to consider traditional planting my perennial herbs - or maybe starting them in the SFG and then transplanting them somewhere more permanent in the fall. 

I've read that rosemary, thyme and mint can be difficult to start (and mint can be invasive) - so I'll have to give that some thought. 

I planted nasturtiums a few years back and they did very well. Started them indoors. Harvested the seeds and started again the following year direct-sow. A lot of fun to grow!
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/1/2017, 10:21 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey Broman!  Welcome!  Sounds like you are off to a great start, what do you like to eat?  Ever garden before?  

So glad you found us, I would love it if you would check us out on N & C Midwest regional post, we share some weather, and schedules, veggies etc....

I will start an April thread tomorrow!   glad you\'re here

I grew up traditional gardening (so many weeds!). And then a few years back tried trellis in limited flower bed spaces (cukes and pumpkins) along with mixing in some cold weather crops (lettuce/spinach) and a few herbs along with tomatoes just to see what we could do. It was touch and go but fun. At the time I was taking a Master Gardener class so I started most things indoors from seeds and that was fun. 

Now, I'm on a new property and thought I'd give SFG a try - after hearing the rave reviews of my parents. 

I'm rather picky about veggies.  Embarassed
But...I have an 8yr old who loves to watch things grow and who loves to cook - this would be a great way to introduce him to fresh flavors. I let him pick out some seeds/veggies and was pleased to see him select things he normally doesn't like.  Yay, for him! 

I'll head over to N&C Midwest in a bit. Thanks for the invite.
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/1/2017, 10:26 am

Glad to have ya!  Sounds like you are gonna have a fun summer, just remember to take detailed notes....I learned a lot that first year!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5344

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/1/2017, 4:14 pm

I expect to see your 8 year old on Junior Master Chef in a couple years, touting the subtle flavors of various veggies and herbs! Very Happy

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 4/1/2017, 4:19 pm

Welcome MBroman, good luck and have fun with your family in the garden!
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 410

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/1/2017, 4:49 pm

sanderson wrote:I expect to see your 8 year old on Junior Master Chef in a couple years, touting the subtle flavors of various veggies and herbs! Very Happy

How fun would that be?!
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 4/7/2017, 11:32 pm

MB, I know I'm late, but welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your garden pictures (hint, hint, hint) Wink
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1043

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/9/2017, 10:08 am

Progress to date. 

My 8yr old loved putting the boxes together. Not sure why the photo is sideways. Hmmm...

My plotted out spaces - since my prefab boxes are not 48x48, I got creative.  They are 42x42. Boo.

Although nothing is up yet - critters have already been in the box. Squirrels, I think. And there is a family of rabbits that live nearby...so fencing went up yesterday. I don't like it aesthetically, but probably necessary.

Now it's time for ornamentals in my shade garden. Yay!
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 4/9/2017, 11:59 am

Here you go! Did you take this with an iphone by any chance?

Love the boxes. The fence will work, but if you don't like the look, how about the cover that Mel shows in the ANSFG book?

Even though the boxes are only 42x42, I think you would be ok just dividing them up into 16 equal squares at 10.5"x10.5". The 1.5" you lose really won't matter that much...IMHO
ralitaco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/9/2017, 6:12 pm

Love your pictures and little helper! I also have a 3.5' x 3.5' table top and I use the 6" x 12" extra spaces for radishes, leaf lettuce, bok choy, etc.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 4/9/2017, 7:34 pm

Welcome MBroman from another Ohioan. Best wishes, the first year is so exciting.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/9/2017, 9:54 pm

Thanks, ralitaco! - I did take the photo with my phone but it is not an iPhone. ??  I thought about doing 16's with smaller squares but opted otherwise. Maybe next year?  I considered a cover...wasn't sure what would happen once everything was up. Wouldn't the rabbits just mow my greens down?

Sanderson - I thought about putting lettuce in my 6" spaces. This year I put onions and carrots there. I checked today and the onions are just starting to poke their tips up. Yay!

llama momma - thank you. My son loves the books by Dewdney, by the way.
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 4/9/2017, 11:16 pm

MBroman wrote:Thanks, ralitaco! - I did take the photo with my phone but it is not an iPhone. ??  I thought about doing 16's with smaller squares but opted otherwise. Maybe next year?  I considered a cover...wasn't sure what would happen once everything was up. Wouldn't the rabbits just mow my greens down?
I know iphones have a weird format and if the camera wasn't turned the right way they won't rotate. I just used some photo editing software and rotated it around.

The beauty of your beds, is you can do them how you like. I have 2 - 2'x8.5' beds and use the 6" sections for various things too. I have some onions and garlic in 2 right now. I like to put small things in there like you with the lettuce, carrots, etc.

I don't have many rabbits in my area so I don't know what they would do once you removed the cage for the taller plants. I know some people put forks in the soil, tines up, to keep out cats and such.
ralitaco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 4/10/2017, 8:47 am

MBroman wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I have my perennial herbs (sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, tarragon, and chives) permanently planted in separate beds, but mix the annuals (basil, marjoram, parsley, cilantro, and dill) into my SFG. If you like horseradish -y flavors, look into growing a nasturtium or two.

I will have to consider traditional planting my perennial herbs - or maybe starting them in the SFG and then transplanting them somewhere more permanent in the fall. 

I've read that rosemary, thyme and mint can be difficult to start (and mint can be invasive) - so I'll have to give that some thought. 

I planted nasturtiums a few years back and they did very well. Started them indoors. Harvested the seeds and started again the following year direct-sow. A lot of fun to grow!
My Arp rosemary is from a transplant. I've killed several: I haven't had success keeping them indoors over the winter (though I know it can be done) and I've killed several that I tried to winter outdoors. The one I have now survived its first winter under a 7-gallon bucket, and this winter inside a Wall'O'Water because it was too big to stuff into the bucket again. I'm not sure whether the others didn't survive because they were different varieties, or because of the polar vortex, or because of inexperienced care on my part. Rosemary has no problems overwintering in zone 7 - anything less starts to have a variable success rate; I'm on the zone 5b/6a border like you.

My thymes and mints were also purchased as transplants. The thyme has had no problems overwintering in the ground, and the ones I had in a strawberry jar in the garage over the winter are recovering well.

The mint I've had issues overwintering because I grow it in pots, because yes, it is invasive.

I'm happy to meet a fellow nasturtium-fan!
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1229

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 4/10/2017, 11:44 am

MBroman wrote:

I have grown those for years, but have not started from seeds.  Rosemary is a tender perennial in our area (I am in central OH), so I treat it as an annual.  Mint is very invasive; I would not put it in my SFG; it will take over!  That goes in its own pot.
herblover

Female Posts : 577

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 4/10/2017, 12:44 pm

I tried to edit my previous message....but it won't let me.  I keep the covers on my boxes at all times.  They aren't complete, no tops, but its enough to keep the critters out.  In addition to rabbits; I have had possums, coons, skunks, and deer in my yard. They could probably knock it off balance if they tried, but that has never been an issue.  Without the covers, I would have no garden.
herblover

Female Posts : 577

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman on 4/26/2017, 11:32 am

Sounds like my mint will have to go in a pot.

Not sure what to do with the rosemary.  Guess I'll just give it a try and just see what happens. Could also try it in a pot - just for grins (and comparison). 

Sounds like I'm stuck with the fencing, though.  

Hadn't thought about forks in the bed. That's creative - although, I'm pretty certain the squirrels I have would just dig them out. LOL
MBroman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 4/27/2017, 6:23 am

Hi MBroman. I'm a bit late, but here's a warm welcome from Atlanta, GA!

I'd DEFINITELY put the mint in a pot... And I do the same with rosemary. It can grow into a hedge, apparently, if you allow it to. I've got mine in an east-facing window. Seems to be quite happy there.

I didn't see your fence. But I'd also DEFINITELY suggest putting plastic down between the fence line & your boxes. I've got a terrible issue with grass, baby trees from the neighbors, etc. because I didn't do that...

Your helper is a cutie!

AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4272

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member on 4/27/2017, 10:05 am

Welcome aboard.  I have friends and family in Cinti.

Forget your 8-year old becoming a master chef.  Send him to Nashville immediately, because with his talent he can make 21 bucks an hour framing houses in this crazy market.  We have 100+ people moving here every day, and there is a big need for construction workers.  At 8, they might even make him the foreman.

Seriously, that's one incredible guy you have that can do what he does at his age.  I bet he will better understand why he should eat greens rather than sweets.

I also can tell that your son has one incredible mommy.  Have fun learning the ins and outs of square foot gardening.  I have both the old and new generations here, and to tell the truth, I enjoy working in the real dirt a bit more than working in my raised beds.  Getting real dirt on bare feet is therapeutic, as is making enough compost for the entire shebang.

Banned Member

Male Posts : 145

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum