Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Acorn squash and determinate tomatoes
by Robbomb116 Today at 11:35 pm

» Squash and Zucchini problems
by RC3291 Today at 10:49 pm

» Beans, Beyond the point of no return
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:21 pm

» New England May 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:17 pm

» Memorial Day
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:14 pm

» N&C Midwest: May is here! 2017
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:13 pm

» 1st time gardener in N Texas
by Songbird56 Today at 9:57 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by bigdogrock Today at 7:49 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by SwampTroll Today at 7:17 pm

» New in NY...Hi all
by Roxystargazer Today at 6:28 pm

» Spraying for disease
by CapeCoddess Today at 5:53 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 5:31 pm

» First Time Gardener... can you give me advice?
by Songbird56 Today at 5:22 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 5:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017
by SwampTroll Today at 5:00 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Today at 4:42 pm

» growing corn
by CapeCoddess Today at 3:20 pm

» Yard and garden Maintenance Gadgets
by yolos Today at 3:12 pm

» Greenhouse dreams
by Turan Today at 3:01 pm

» Bryan Greenbeard of Minnesota's 2017 Plans
by Greenbeard Today at 1:38 pm

» Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?
by has55 Today at 12:53 pm

» Lil' Goners
by sanderson Today at 12:23 pm

» Texas Dream garden 2017
by kamigh Today at 10:50 am

» Hello from TN
by flowinowen Today at 8:56 am

» Soaking seeds????? HELP
by Yardslave Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» Strawberry protection
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 1:24 pm

» Using Eggshells for your garden
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:47 am

» Hello from St Louis
by bigdogrock Yesterday at 9:33 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Easy way to get Mel's Mix in a raised bed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Easy way to get Mel's Mix in a raised bed

Post  Banned Member on 4/19/2017, 10:11 am

I am sure this is not original, and this may have been posted before in the same or similar manner, but here is how I easily filled our last 4x4 raised bed.

1. Gathered the peat moss, vermiculite (and perlite), and our compost.  I wheelbarrowed the compost to within a foot of the bed, and had the other bags immediately adjacent.

2. Opened the bags of peat, vermiculite, and perlite wide enough to fit a shovel inside.

3. Brought my garden hose and sprayer to the box with the water turned on and hose in the shower setting.

4. Took the shovel and applied 3 shovels full of compost into the middle of the raised bed.  Then, took a scant shovel full of vermiculite and one of perlite and deposited it on top of the compost.  Then, took 2 shovels full of peat moss and did the same.  This equals 7 shovels full of Mel's Mix.

5. I repeated the process until I had done this 7 times.  After 7 rounds, I took the back of our rake and spread it across the raised bed.

6. The garden hose sprayed water on the 7 rounds of 7 shovels full.

I repeated this again and again until the bed was full.  This eliminated having to put it all on a tarp, mixing and bringing to the raised bed and then removing from the tarp and having to fill the bed.

The mix actually looked more mixed than doing it the other way.  Old backs tend to take shortcuts when heavy lifting comes into the equation.

My big problem has been with weeds.  It didn't take a week for weeds to start poking through the new Mel's Mix.  I just noticed this AM that some of our containers that are on the top shelf of our outdoor storage now have weeds growing in them.  

It would be a lot easier to just grow weeds.

Banned Member

Male Posts : 145

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Easy way to get Mel's Mix in a raised bed

Post  trolleydriver on 4/19/2017, 10:51 am

TNGeezer wrote:
4. Took the shovel and applied 3 shovels full of compost into the middle of the raised bed.  Then, took a scant shovel full of vermiculite and one of perlite and deposited it on top of the compost.  Then, took 2 shovels full of peat moss and did the same.  This equals 7 shovels full of Mel's Mix.

5. I repeated the process until I had done this 7 times.  After 7 rounds, I took the back of our rake and spread it across the raised bed.

My big problem has been with weeds.  It didn't take a week for weeds to start poking through the new Mel's Mix.  I just noticed this AM that some of our containers that are on the top shelf of our outdoor storage now have weeds growing in them.  

It would be a lot easier to just grow weeds.

Why 3 of compost and 2 of each of the other components? Why not follow Mel's formula of 1/3rd of each component. I find it easy to mix up small batches on a tarp using a 5 gallon bucket to measure out each component. I have to keep the batches small for the same reason you mention TNG ... bad back. As for weeds, maybe I've been lucky but I have never had a problem with weeds in the MM. Cheers.  Very Happy

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3044

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 4/19/2017, 11:24 am

I also use five-gallon buckets to measure the ingredients for MM.

The most I can mix on a tarp is about two cubic feet; I prefer to have a helper.  Otherwise, I measure and mix tiny amounts in the pails themselves, or in a wheelbarrow, which then can be wheeled directly to a bed, dumped, then watered a bit at a time.
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2099

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member on 4/19/2017, 2:34 pm

I should have posted the reason for the different amount of compost.   I forgot to mention that I found it very hard to not pick up a heaping amount of vermiculite and peat moss, while the compost tends to be level.  Therefore, to get close to 1/3 of each, you need an extra scoop of compost.

I will add that before we had enough compost, I used to take 5 shovels full of peat, 5 of vermiculite and then 1 each of the 5 composts.  I made a semi-circle around the squares, with the composts on the inside and the peat and vermiculite on the outside.  Me being crazy in the head, I had to call out the next compost and repeat it so I would remember which one was next up.  Back then, I had chickedy doo dah, mushroom compost, lobster compost, and 2 types of worm castings.

Banned Member

Male Posts : 145

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum