Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:21 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by LizDTM Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by yolos Yesterday at 10:31 pm

» Today's Harvest
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:17 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:00 pm

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Yesterday at 1:03 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:00 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Yesterday at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2017, 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals 10/17/2017, 3:37 pm

» new greenhouse got drafted
by Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 8:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Kelejan on 5/27/2017, 2:18 pm

TD. make sure there are no weeds seeds remaining in your Dirt Shirt.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  trolleydriver on 5/27/2017, 3:25 pm

Kelejan wrote:TD. make sure there are no weeds seeds remaining in your Dirt Shirt.
No seeds but I could end up as a garden bed for PEI potatoes. 


____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  sanderson on 5/28/2017, 3:56 am

trolleydriver wrote:As for me, I'll be out working in the garden and wearing my PEI Dirt Shirt which is dyed with 100% Prince Edward Island dirt.
I forgot about the red tee shirts from PEI. And the cow ice cream.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14772
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  trolleydriver on 5/28/2017, 8:28 am

sanderson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:As for me, I'll be out working in the garden and wearing my PEI Dirt Shirt which is dyed with 100% Prince Edward Island dirt.
I forgot about the red tee shirts from PEI.  And the cow ice cream.
You know about Cow's Creamery Ice Cream??? 

Yummy!!!

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  SwampTroll on 5/28/2017, 12:20 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:As for me, I'll be out working in the garden and wearing my PEI Dirt Shirt which is dyed with 100% Prince Edward Island dirt.
I forgot about the red tee shirts from PEI.  And the cow ice cream.
You know about Cow's Creamery Ice Cream??? 

Yummy!!!

Gotta love the timing.  I'm currently wearing my shirt from Cows.  It's delicious!
avatar
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 134
Join date : 2017-05-15
Age : 37
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

View user profile http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Mimi2 on 5/28/2017, 8:01 pm

Just had a lovely family meal, where every course had something from the garden. For the main course we had trout with dill, parsley and thyme (lemon and olive oil). As a side we ate salad with fresh lettuce grown in our front yard. And for dessert, we gobbled a strawberry and rhubarb crumble using our very own rhubarb.
avatar
Mimi2

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-09-10
Age : 45
Location : Ottawa, Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Kelejan on 5/28/2017, 11:46 pm

Mimi2 wrote:Just had a lovely family meal, where every course had something from the garden. For the main course we had trout with dill, parsley and thyme (lemon and olive oil). As a side we ate salad with fresh lettuce grown in our front yard. And for dessert, we gobbled a strawberry and rhubarb crumble using our very own rhubarb.

Dosn't it feel good, Mimi, when you eat something you have grown?

I still have pictures of the first salad I prepared completely from my first SFG.  I started off with a picture  of lettuce, radish, spring onions, etc straight from the garden, the second picture was the veggies cleaned and trimmed, then the plate with the veggies arranged around some  slices of chicken.  I showed the pictures to everyone who would look. Very Happy
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  sanderson on 5/29/2017, 12:35 pm

SwampTroll wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:As for me, I'll be out working in the garden and wearing my PEI Dirt Shirt which is dyed with 100% Prince Edward Island dirt.
I forgot about the red tee shirts from PEI.  And the cow ice cream.
You know about Cow's Creamery Ice Cream??? 

Yummy!!!

Gotta love the timing.  I'm currently wearing my shirt from Cows.  It's delicious!
I have a Cow magnet on the Frig! Business trip to PEI. Wined and dined. During free time, Ken and I bought an ice cream, then walked to a big barn with various crafts where we saw the red shirts. Then found a 2nd Cows and had another ice cream.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14772
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  SwampTroll on 5/29/2017, 3:24 pm

If the weather holds tomorrow includes:

Trellis Building
Gardens topped off with MM
Cool weather veggies/fruit planting
Tomato plant, and herbs purchasing
Direct sowing of warm weather  veggies
Purchase of additional manure
Compost turning...

Let's hoping I can get through this list.
avatar
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 134
Join date : 2017-05-15
Age : 37
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

View user profile http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Mimi2 on 5/29/2017, 3:31 pm

Kelejan wrote:
Mimi2 wrote:Just had a lovely family meal, where every course had something from the garden. For the main course we had trout with dill, parsley and thyme (lemon and olive oil). As a side we ate salad with fresh lettuce grown in our front yard. And for dessert, we gobbled a strawberry and rhubarb crumble using our very own rhubarb.

Dosn't it feel good, Mimi, when you eat something you have grown?

I still have pictures of the first salad I prepared completely from my first SFG.  I started off with a picture  of lettuce, radish, spring onions, etc straight from the garden, the second picture was the veggies cleaned and trimmed, then the plate with the veggies arranged around some  slices of chicken.  I showed the pictures to everyone who would look. Very Happy
Yes, I love it. The pink trout looked so pretty with the green herbs from my garden that I almost took a picture. And my husband thanked me for being a gourmet cook. So simple, yet so delicious. My 5 year-old-son helped pick the rubharb, and my ten year-old-daughter and her pals helped make the strawberry rhubarb crumble...Good times were had by all Smile
avatar
Mimi2

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-09-10
Age : 45
Location : Ottawa, Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Mimi2 on 5/29/2017, 3:37 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Mimi2 wrote:I did a lot of gardening over the long weekend. All of therain we have been getting has made the yard very green. Not sure that there's enough sun for the
Mimi did you use all of your tomato and pepper transplants? 

I may have some Tomato (Black Brandywine, Roma, Sweet Million), Pepper (Early California Wonder, Jalapeno, Banana, Chinese 5 Color) and Tomatillo transplants that I could share. I have not yet finished my planting so I am not sure how many I will have left over.
I have a few left over peppers and tomatoes TD if you have any space. They are starting to look a little sad though, as they need to be tranplanted. I have very little space left. But would like to try tomatillos...
avatar
Mimi2

Posts : 245
Join date : 2015-09-10
Age : 45
Location : Ottawa, Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  trolleydriver on 5/29/2017, 4:37 pm

Mimi2 wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:
Mimi2 wrote:I did a lot of gardening over the long weekend. All of therain we have been getting has made the yard very green. Not sure that there's enough sun for the
Mimi did you use all of your tomato and pepper transplants? 

I may have some Tomato (Black Brandywine, Roma, Sweet Million), Pepper (Early California Wonder, Jalapeno, Banana, Chinese 5 Color) and Tomatillo transplants that I could share. I have not yet finished my planting so I am not sure how many I will have left over.
I have a few left over peppers and tomatoes TD if you have any space. They are starting to look a little sad though, as they need to be tranplanted. I have very little space left. But would like to try tomatillos...
Mimi we can definitely do a trade. I have spare tomatillos that you can have. What variety of tomatoes and peppers do you have?

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  SwampTroll on 5/29/2017, 5:00 pm

Of course the wife had to move us from Ottawa to New Brunswick... *le sigh*
avatar
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 134
Join date : 2017-05-15
Age : 37
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

View user profile http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Kelejan on 5/31/2017, 1:58 pm

I have not been doing very much these past few days as the excessive heat really made me tired.

Due to the rain a few days ago, when the sun finally came out I managed to make a single mowing of all my grass which took be all day, doing it a half hour at a time.

Then the temperatures rose again and it had stayed so hot.  Yesterday it cooled off a bit in the afternoon so I was able to get the whole area done by supper time. Last night we had some rain and the temperature forecast this afternoon is about ten degrees C cooler, thank goodness, so I will be able to plant my transplants in the evening and give them a good watering so that they survive when the temperature climbs again.

Still so much to do as the weeding really needs to have something done about it.  I must admit the the BTE portions of my garden this year have a very healthy population of weeds, especially of creeping buttercup which to be honest looks beautiful. Swathes of golden yellow.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  sanderson on 6/1/2017, 3:12 am

With humidity and heat, just take it easy. pale

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14772
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Kelejan on 6/1/2017, 8:54 am

sanderson wrote:With humidity and heat, just take it easy.  pale

I do try to pace myself, sanderson.


Continued on CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JUNE 2017
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4971
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May 2017

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum