Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 9:26 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by brianj555 Today at 8:38 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:48 pm

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by Scorpio Rising Today at 6:42 pm

» First Frost!
by brianj555 Today at 3:27 pm

» My new compost heap
by brianj555 Today at 2:36 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:56 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:07 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 5:37 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by Kelejan 11/18/2017, 3:30 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England May 2017

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England May 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/18/2017, 6:57 pm

Nice, QB!  I love fresh leaves!  Had a couple kale pieces in my salad today.  I think I will have enough lettuces etc. for an actual garden salad this weekend!  I am experimenting with cute and come again methods...
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/19/2017, 9:55 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote: I am experimenting with cute and come again methods...
Laughing I love you
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2836

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/19/2017, 12:25 pm

So I'm getting ready to plant some 'headache' seeds, the ones I really never have any luck with but for some reason feel compelled to keep trying Rolling Eyes :

Questions for you New Englanders...or anyone with a similar climate...
Have you had any luck with any of these?   Direct planted or started in?  What temps were you planting out at? Trellised? Protection?
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/19/2017, 12:32 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:So I'm getting ready to plant some 'headache' seeds, the ones I really never have any luck with but for some reason feel compelled to keep trying Rolling Eyes :

Have you had any luck with any of these?   Direct planted or started in?  What temps were you planting out at?  Trellised?  Protection?  
I've had good success with cucumbers both started indoors and direct seeded. Also grew Acorn squash last year in a regular soil bed. However, the crop from the acorn squash plants was very small. I may try growing them on a trellis this year.  Since I am inland the mid summer temps may be a bit higher than on the Cape.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3866

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/19/2017, 1:37 pm

I've had success with direct seeding of cukes and squash both at home and at the comm. garden. They like it warm so I always waited til June to plant the seeds and the soil was warmed up.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4693

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/19/2017, 4:40 pm

Thanks TD & QB.  I'll wait for warmer weather.  Maybe try starting some inside.

Here is the latest Regional Notes from UMassAmherst:
https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/landscape-message-may-19-2017
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/19/2017, 8:16 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote: I am experimenting with cute and come again methods...
Laughing I love you
They are, umm, cute
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/19/2017, 9:00 pm

Yep!  You will do good!

Trellis the cukes for sure.  I am growing my cukes and small melons on trellises, as well as pole beans of course!  Watermelons sprawl.  

New squash for me; Delicata and Acorn.  Will probably trellis, since space is a consideration!  

And also new melons...charentais!  True cantaloupe.  Will see!  

I start my super hotties in the hot pad and quickly move outside!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/20/2017, 6:10 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:

Okay, I will start them today. Do you start yours in plantable pots or just don't worry about that?

Also, do you cover your squashes to protect them from svb? Or is he not in your area?
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 5/20/2017, 7:53 am

Hey CC, I have had more luck with the squash when started in a bigger starting pot inside, then put out as early as possible in the hottest place with full sunshine. I have great luck with any cucs  as long as they are off the ground. 
Now that I think about it, squash are starting to remind me of what Quilt Bea showed me about tomatoes, to to use a bigger starting pot to get them started. But, these squash don't do well in the cooler summers here. They like heat and sun, with plenty of water. The best I ever did was a hot summer with a drip system with plenty of mulch around them.
When I lived in CA, I could direct seed them early, but here in New Hampster the season just isn't long enough, or maybe it isn't warm enough in the beginning. Another trend I see here, is anything that can be held up off the ground the better it does, I think I am beginning to be an advocate of the "trellis everything society"  Cool
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/20/2017, 10:25 am

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:

Okay, I will start them today. Do you start yours in plantable pots or just don't worry about that?

Also, do you cover your squashes to protect them from svb? Or is he not in your area?
I plant the squash, melons and cukes in peat pots.  They don't like root disturbances.  It is the only thing I use peat pots for.  

I don't cover them, and yes, I have the dreaded SVB.  I lost one of my 3 patty pans last year to SVB late in the season.  It was still alive but I didn't want it to affect the other plants...so it went.  If I were you and had some PTSD with the SVB, I would cover with tulle.  Sure won't hurt!  Then uncover for pollination.  Or do it by hand.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/20/2017, 7:01 pm

Five weeks out from hip replacement surgery and I was finally able to mow my lawn and mow down the raspberry escapees from this 2x7 box.

The plants looked so healthy this year that I really wanted to dig up and transplant the escapees but decided it was too much work right now.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/20/2017, 7:42 pm

Yum!  Lookin good!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 5/20/2017, 8:35 pm

Very nice CC and well done on your recovery.  Looks like you have a nice view in the distance as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3866

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/21/2017, 4:33 am

@bigdogrock wrote:. . . Another trend I see here, is anything that can be held up off the ground the better it does, I think I am beginning to be an advocate of the "trellis everything society"  Cool
I'm a member

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14940

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 5/21/2017, 8:26 am

You're a member too? That's cool, we can "hang around together"... Rolling Eyes

(I just had to) rofl
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/21/2017, 10:59 am

@sanderson wrote:
@bigdogrock wrote:. . . Another trend I see here, is anything that can be held up off the ground the better it does, I think I am beginning to be an advocate of the "trellis everything society"  Cool
I'm a member
Not just trellising. I now cut off all leaves that touch the ground. I'm battling slugs and rolly pollies that consider anything green that touches down to be an invitation to lunch. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/21/2017, 2:38 pm

I'm trying a Three Sisters Garden for the first time ever this year. I'm using Waltham butternut, Kentucky Wonder pole beans and Silver Queen corn. The beans and squash have been sowed and the corn is soaking and will be planted out today. Never had much luck with squash and corn but the local Indians did it so I should be able to, too.  

I also started some of these foreign cucumbers inside and they are now on the heating pad.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 5/21/2017, 5:51 pm

CapeC....How are you feeling?  Are you able to do lots in the garden yet?  You really amaze me at what you manage to handle.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my tomatoes but they should be here this week.  I am itching to get growing.  My radishes are coming up in the lettuce pots.
I got a visit yesterday from the director of my old comm. garden.  There are improvements and changes there but they got a late start this year.  At least the peas and greens and now the green beans are planted I was told. They were able to save the squash and zukes from the bugs last year with my bug fabric that I gave them.  A pergola is going to be built and a rail fence was put up around the Children's Garden which was built after my statuary donations last spring.  My tools, pots, bug and frost barrier fabrics, and even my little greenhouse have all been put to good use.  It was good to hear.  She said I was missed.  She and I pretty much planned that garden since its inception.  I was the one that pulled for raised beds.  This year they are making new and longer ones, 12-footers I heard.  I'll have to stop by when I go to visit my son next time.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4693

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 5/21/2017, 6:05 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:I'm trying a Three Sisters Garden for the first time ever this year. I'm using Waltham butternut, Kentucky Wonder pole beans and Silver Queen corn. The beans and squash have been sowed and the corn is soaking and will be planted out today. Never had much luck with squash and corn but the local Indians did it so I should be able to, too.  
Wait, I thought the corn was supposed to be planted first and then the beans could use the corn stalks as poles to climb up.  Or am I wrong or are you just experimenting.
yolos

Female Posts : 3289

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/21/2017, 6:14 pm

That sounds logical, Yolos. I truly have no idea what I'm doing. I figured I'd just plant everything at once and see what happens.
thinking
So yeah, that's it... It's an experiment. That's what I meant. Wink

Hi QB! Yes, I'm quite well thanks and doing the best I can. I'm 5 weeks out from surgery and I'm getting the basics done in the SFG. The rest of my yard is going to hell in a handbasket but in the fullness of time I'll be able to get out there and take care of all that.
What a Face
One thing we gardeners have is lots of patience.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CAgirlinMA on 5/21/2017, 6:40 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:So I'm getting ready to plant some 'headache' seeds, the ones I really never have any luck with but for some reason feel compelled to keep trying Rolling Eyes :

Have you had any luck with any of these?   Direct planted or started in?  What temps were you planting out at?  Trellised?  Protection?  
I've had better luck starting these indoors. Last year I had squash & cakes out early May & they did fabulous. Not the case this year. I had 2 transplanted cucumbers plants die during the cold snap. Luckily, I still have quite a few under lights. I'm going to wait before putting those out. 

As far as squash, they are HEAVY feeders. I've had success when I transplanted them with A LOT of compost mixed in & then fed them frequently. I have several different types of squash growing out my compost right now. It'll be interesting to see what I end up with.

Ok. So can anyone one tell me what to do about slugs? My lettuces, cabbage, broccoli & kale are all covered to keep the cabbage moth away. However, this morning I plucked 20+ slugs off of my napa cabbage pale. They did A LOT of damage, but I think the plants will be salvageable. I've never had slugs before (that I saw damage from anyway) so I'm looking to nip this in the bud pronto. Any suggestions?
CAgirlinMA

Female Posts : 38

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/21/2017, 10:11 pm

@CAgirlinMA wrote:Ok. So can anyone one tell me what to do about slugs? My lettuces, cabbage, broccoli & kale are all covered to keep the cabbage moth away. However, this morning I plucked 20+ slugs off of my napa cabbage . They did A LOT of damage, but I think the plants will be salvageable. I've never had slugs before (that I saw damage from anyway) so I'm looking to nip this in the bud pronto. Any suggestions?

1) Get all the leaves off the ground, either by cutting them or by putting some kind of non-organic barrier around the plants. 

2) Put down melon rinds or citrus peels to attract the little monsters. Keep the area damp. Early mornings collect the peels with the slugs on them and replace with fresh peels until they're gone.

This only works for raised beds or containers where you can control the population. If you're gardening in the ground, buy copper tape to ring your plants or the whole bed. It can get expensive, but it works. Just make sure there is no break or bridge in your perimeter. Check frequently to make sure no twig or leaf has breached your boundary.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/21/2017, 10:42 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@CAgirlinMA wrote:Ok. So can anyone one tell me what to do about slugs? My lettuces, cabbage, broccoli & kale are all covered to keep the cabbage moth away. However, this morning I plucked 20+ slugs off of my napa cabbage . They did A LOT of damage, but I think the plants will be salvageable. I've never had slugs before (that I saw damage from anyway) so I'm looking to nip this in the bud pronto. Any suggestions?

1) Get all the leaves off the ground, either by cutting them or by putting some kind of non-organic barrier around the plants. 

2) Put down melon rinds or citrus peels to attract the little monsters. Keep the area damp. Early mornings collect the peels with the slugs on them and replace with fresh peels until they're gone.

This only works for raised beds or containers where you can control the population. If you're gardening in the ground, buy copper tape to ring your plants or the whole bed. It can get expensive, but it works. Just make sure there is no break or bridge in your perimeter. Check frequently to make sure no twig or leaf has breached your boundary.
Dang girl!  You got the sluggo nation on the run!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 5/22/2017, 11:51 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Dang girl!  You got the sluggo nation on the run! 

My last garden was in Oregon. Ever hear of "banana slugs?" If not, just use your imagination. They definitely live up to their name. I'll dig out some pics later, so you can see what Oregon gardeners face every time they walk out the door.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum