Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My new compost heap
by brianj555 Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 11/19/2017, 5:37 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Garden?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fall Garden?

Post  newbeone on 5/2/2017, 2:39 pm

Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/2/2017, 4:49 pm

When I plan in the winter, my map has both spring and fall on it. That way I know what fall transplants I have to start before the spring plant is harvested. But you've reminded me I only have a short time left on a free shipping offer, and there were at least some fall kohlrabi seeds I wanted.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1285
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  herblover on 5/3/2017, 10:37 am

My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
avatar
herblover

Female Posts : 577
Join date : 2010-03-27
Age : 55
Location : Central OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  trolleydriver on 5/3/2017, 1:12 pm

@herblover wrote:My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
You folks are so well organized. I'm struggling with decisions as to what to plant and where for my Spring planting period. For succession planting I'm trying to figure out what to put in the empty garlic squares after the garlic is harvested.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3867
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/3/2017, 5:26 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:
@herblover wrote:My succession planting schedule goes through the whole season, from early spring through fall.  No thinking to be done except varieties.
You folks are so well organized. I'm struggling with decisions as to what to plant and where for my Spring planting period. For succession planting I'm trying to figure out what to put in the empty garlic squares after the garlic is harvested.
After my garlic I have planned, variously: Rocket, last round of bush Beans, Lettuce, Mustard, an Asian brassica, and my second attempt at (short) fall peas (last year wasn't successful, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.)
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1285
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/3/2017, 7:53 pm

@newbeone wrote:Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
Absolutely! My fall/winter garden is far superior to my summer garden, so I'm always on the lookout for more things to plant for over-wintering. geek
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/3/2017, 8:10 pm

Potatoes are the first item on my new list for planting this fall. geek
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  MrBooker on 5/4/2017, 3:25 am

@countrynaturals wrote:
@newbeone wrote:Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
Absolutely! My fall/winter garden is far superior to my summer garden, so I'm always on the lookout for more things to plant for over-wintering. geek
CN... If you like cabbage, you may want to check out "January King" cabbage. It is said to withstand 18 degree weather.  I grew some last fall for the first time in the hoop house and it did really well.  You'll have to watch your spacing though. They grow really BIG.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 389
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 5/4/2017, 8:59 am

@MrBooker wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@newbeone wrote:Has anyone started thinking about a Fall Garden? Ok! I know it's not even Summer yet but all of my peas and greens are gone now and it's getting hot down here I just checked 4" down I got a reading of 77* under shade cloth and 2" of straw, so I'm making out my seed order and drawing out the layout of my fall garden.
Absolutely! My fall/winter garden is far superior to my summer garden, so I'm always on the lookout for more things to plant for over-wintering. geek
CN... If you like cabbage, you may want to check out "January King" cabbage. It is said to withstand 18 degree weather.  I grew some last fall for the first time in the hoop house and it did really well.  You'll have to watch your spacing though. They grow really BIG.
Love cabbage. I will put January King as the next item on my fall seed list. thanks
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/4/2017, 9:50 pm

I've ordered these varieties for fall:
Zentaur Fodder Beet, Superschmelz Kohlrabi, Brune D'Hiver Lettuce, Landis Winter Lettuce, Petrowski Turnip, Saffron, Pusa Jamuni Radish, and Oxheart Carrot.

I already have seeds for Joan Rutabega, half a dozen other cold-tolerant lettuces, Evans’ Star Winter Arugula, Winter Bloomsdale and Butterflay Spinach, and 4 other fall radishes.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1285
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  mschaef on 5/5/2017, 8:12 am

Like others have mention I just wing it. Since I am never too sure how long I will be in one place, love being a military, I just go by what I have on hand at the time. When I make my seed order I normally order everything I want for my garden weather spring/ fall or summer. But now you guys have me thinking about what to start for a fall garden and figuring out when to start the seeds inside.
avatar
mschaef

Female Posts : 598
Join date : 2012-03-12
Age : 31
Location : Hampton, Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  yolos on 5/5/2017, 10:08 am

I haven't even ordered all seeds for summer much less fall.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3289
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/5/2017, 10:52 am

Lettuce, lettuce and more lettuce.  Garlic on Halloween. Also I'm waiting on the spring pac choi to bolt & go to seed so I can plant them for fall. And maybe I'll give spinach another try.  I like to plant daikon for the roots in the fall whereas in the spring I plant it for the pods and seeds.  I'm giving up on fall sugar snap peas...there just isn't enough time in my neck of the woods.

Other than that, most of my spring and summer crops will still be growing well in to fall.
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6477
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Fall Garden

Post  newbeone on 5/5/2017, 12:39 pm

What difference a day makes I remember when I lived up in zone 4 summer was the time you garden, Winter what ever you planted either died or went hibernation here I can garden through most of the winter with a little protection, I started my seeds in January, But summer everything dies or goes into hibernation and I go for the A/C.
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  sanderson on 5/6/2017, 2:24 am

Yes, hot summers can be brutal on man, beast and our gardens in hot, dry climates. Sun shade, thick mulch, water needed until fall when the bumper crops come in. Then before we know, it's time for the winter garden! Jan and Feb are the only restful months, only having to harvest for dinner! Very Happy Then, March, it's time to start indoor seedlings, and blanch and freeze all those bumper cole crops.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14943
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  reynajrainwater on 9/19/2017, 11:49 pm

" />The beginning of my fall garden. Beans, summer squash, cantaloupe, eggplant, peppers, & tomatoes. I've been keeping it under shade cloth for the last 2 months.
avatar
reynajrainwater

Posts : 68
Join date : 2015-07-09
Location : Phoenix,AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  CapeCoddess on 9/20/2017, 10:06 am

@reynajrainwater wrote:" />The beginning of my fall garden. Beans, summer squash, cantaloupe, eggplant, peppers, & tomatoes. I've been keeping it under shade cloth for the last 2 months.

Nice!
okay
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6477
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/20/2017, 11:17 am

@newbeone wrote:What difference a day makes I remember when I lived up in zone 4 summer was the time you garden, Winter what ever you planted either died or went hibernation here I can garden through most of the winter with a little protection, I started my seeds in January, But summer everything dies or goes into hibernation and I go for the A/C.
That's me exactly. 
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/20/2017, 12:44 pm

Here are a few of mine, but they're all for next year. I hope that's okay for this thread, since I'm planting in the fall. Razz

First batch of carrots off to a great start. I'm planting a different variety every week and trying to keep track of how they do. This one is "Short & Sweet."


Daikon Radishes. Thanks to TD? for the plastic cup idea. I never got a single one last planting, thanks to my herd of rollie pollies and slugs.


Kale! I love you I've doubled my space in the Salad Bar for this wonderful Dwarf Curly Russian? kale. It grows for me all year long. We use it in all of our soups, as a side dish, and as a treat for our rabbit.


Sweet 100 tomato. For the next few weeks I'll bring it in and take it out so it can benefit from our perfect days but not be subjected to our cold nights. After daylight savings time go off, It will come in the house and have grow lights and a southern exposure window for the winter. (I'm doing the same with Sun Gold -- wish me luck geek).


Here are the rest of my fall starts, including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, & Pak Choy (from bottom to top).


I will probably replant all of the above right on through til the end of October, then move all operations inside for the winter. Cool
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  brianj555 on 9/20/2017, 4:16 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Here are a few of mine, but they're all for next year. I hope that's okay for this thread, since I'm planting in the fall. Razz

First batch of carrots off to a great start. I'm planting a different variety every week and trying to keep track of how they do. This one is "Short & Sweet."


Daikon Radishes. Thanks to TD? for the plastic cup idea. I never got a single one last planting, thanks to my herd of rollie pollies and slugs.


Kale! I love you I've doubled my space in the Salad Bar for this wonderful Dwarf Curly Russian? kale. It grows for me all year long. We use it in all of our soups, as a side dish, and as a treat for our rabbit.


Sweet 100 tomato. For the next few weeks I'll bring it in and take it out so it can benefit from our perfect days but not be subjected to our cold nights. After daylight savings time go off, It will come in the house and have grow lights and a southern exposure window for the winter. (I'm doing the same with Sun Gold -- wish me luck geek).


Here are the rest of my fall starts, including broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, celery, & Pak Choy (from bottom to top).


I will probably replant all of the above right on through til the end of October, then move all operations inside for the winter. Cool
I'm very interested in your indoor tomato idea.  Do you know where I can find information on here or good information elsewhere about this?  Sweet 100 are cherry tomatoes correct??
avatar
brianj555

Male Posts : 318
Join date : 2017-08-22
Location : Zone 9 - Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/20/2017, 5:45 pm

@brianj555 wrote:

I'm very interested in your indoor tomato idea.  Do you know where I can find information on here or good information elsewhere about this?  Sweet 100 are cherry tomatoes correct??
"Good information" is scarce because it isn't easy to actually grow veggies inside in the winter. Sad I have only been successful with cherry tomatoes, which these are, and then only when they were started and already producing outside before I brought them in. I have a nice, big south facing window where I garden in the winter. I use grow lights. This year I'm going to try those full-spectrum LED grow lights, but I have yet to find any testimonials from successful gardeners -- only sales pitches from companies selling them. Rolling Eyes

We had a great thread going on this subject, which I will try to find for you. I am determined to grow veggies in the house and greenhouse over the winter, but the odds are definitely against me. Sad

Here's one thread, but I think there's another. I'll keep looking.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18101-grow-lights

Here's the other one.

http://squarefoot.creatingforum.com/t18576-led-grow-lights-any-advice
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/20/2017, 6:52 pm

Looking good, Reyna and CN!!!!!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5463
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  sanderson on 9/21/2017, 3:28 am

Fall gardening for me is setting out plants for the winter/spring garden. I am so behind due to life getting in the way, that I haven't even started them, much less have them ready for transplanting by October 1st. Shocked

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14943
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/24/2017, 10:57 am

@sanderson wrote:Fall gardening for me is setting out plants for the winter/spring garden.  I am so behind due to life getting in the way, that I haven't even started them, much less have them ready for transplanting by October 1st. Shocked
I hate it when life gets in the way of gardening.  The great part about living where we do is that we still have plenty of time left to get it all done and enjoy our beautiful fall (2nd spring) weather.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  sanderson on 9/24/2017, 4:46 pm

The great thing about California is that we can garden year around.   Summer and winter gardens.  Very Happy

The bad thing about California is that we can garden year around.  No break.   Shocked  I have my seed trays outdoors, hoping they sprout.  Finally some glorious weather, and I am well enough to gently start the summer clean up.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14943
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Garden?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum