Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Biochar?
by SQWIB Today at 8:18 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 8:09 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by sanderson Today at 3:42 am

» Tomato Questions
by sanderson Today at 3:32 am

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by sanderson Today at 3:30 am

» Howdy, from Central Florida
by sanderson Today at 3:29 am

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Today at 3:27 am

» Worm bin?
by sanderson Today at 3:24 am

» Compost pit?
by No_Such_Reality Today at 12:05 am

» Coffee Substitute?
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:20 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 11:20 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Spaghetti Squash ?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 10/21/2017, 5:34 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by yolos 10/21/2017, 5:16 pm

» Frames for SFG Beds - Versitile PVC frames for Protection
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 4:10 pm

» California's Drought
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:04 am

» Hello from a 7b zone
by AtlantaMarie 10/21/2017, 10:00 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by plantoid 10/21/2017, 7:27 am

» Butterfly Junction
by sanderson 10/21/2017, 12:08 am

» Mels book
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 11:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals 10/20/2017, 11:34 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson 10/20/2017, 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM 10/20/2017, 12:21 am

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals 10/19/2017, 7:54 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/7/2017, 7:09 am

This year, as usual, I almost jumped the gun by planting a little to early. Luckily I had my hoop houses on standby.
I need to change the date on my camera. These pics were taken yesterday, the 6th.

This is a cross I made for my Rose bed. My DW bought me the smiley face.


My roses are doing well after they almost drowned last week.


9 tomato plants steaked and caged.


This is what I call my compost "Factory"...  lol   Last year I did the Berkely method and it worked but the Reagonite71's "Drunken compost" method seems to work faster for me. I started these two piles exactly 17 days ago and I now have usable compost. Not finished but usable.



Salad bed.


Peppers in Hoop house.


Tomato plants under hoops.


Lettuce


Beets in hoop house.



I built this contraption to string my tomato's up.


This was a huge pile of leaves I started 7 months ago. Now, it's about 50% smaller than when I started. I'm using it for my browns in the compost.


Smunions OR... Some unions.


Peppers uncovered.


Some of this and some of that... 








avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/7/2017, 9:59 am

MrBooker wrote:
Salad bed.


Tomato plants under hoops.

Is that mizuna at the middle of the salad bed? - or part of a mustard blend?

The tomato hoop house looks very cozy! Like you could just crawl in there with them in the warmth and dappled sun and take a nap...
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1239
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/7/2017, 10:20 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:The tomato hoop house looks very cozy! Like you could just crawl in there with them in the warmth and dappled sun and take a nap...
It really does....LOL!

Nice garden, Mr. B!  Everything looks healthy and happy.  Isn't lettuce beautiful?  It truly is a lovely group of plants, those leaves!

Do your whirligigs help with the birds?
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/7/2017, 10:28 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
Salad bed.


Tomato plants under hoops.

Is that mizuna at the middle of the salad bed? - or part of a mustard blend?

The tomato hoop house looks very cozy! Like you could just crawl in there with them in the warmth and dappled sun and take a nap...
Not really if thats Mizuna or not. It was a blend of lettuce.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/7/2017, 10:30 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:The tomato hoop house looks very cozy! Like you could just crawl in there with them in the warmth and dappled sun and take a nap...
It really does....LOL!

Nice garden, Mr. B!  Everything looks healthy and happy.  Isn't lettuce beautiful?  It truly is a lovely group of plants, those leaves!

Do your whirligigs help with the birds?
Not birds..  CATS.  They like to dig and poop in my garden. I've had to replant lettuce a few times.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/7/2017, 10:34 am

Ewwwww!  Not good....need a dog.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  countrynaturals on 5/7/2017, 11:05 am

MrBooker wrote:
Not birds..  CATS.  They like to dig and poop in my garden. I've had to replant lettuce a few times.
We are a sanctuary for homeless cats and we also have free-range chickens, so I get where you're coming from, Scorpio. Rolling Eyes My answer is twiggy mulch or rocks. It has to be thick and dense, too. We have lava rock in our front yard and a pebble path in the back. They dig right through both. Grrr!
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2699
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  countrynaturals on 5/7/2017, 11:13 am

Beautiful garden, MrB. Love the lettuce.
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2699
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/7/2017, 11:25 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
Not birds..  CATS.  They like to dig and poop in my garden. I've had to replant lettuce a few times.
We are a sanctuary for homeless cats and we also have free-range chickens, so I get where you're coming from, Scorpio. Rolling Eyes  My answer is twiggy mulch or rocks. It has to be thick and dense, too. We have lava rock in our front yard and a pebble path in the back. They dig right through both. Grrr!
Oh wow, we have a couple neighborhood cats but they have not bothered my SFG as to date...my dog is fenced.  And EVERYBODY knows it!  They kinda thumb their noses at him sometimes.

On occasion, I let him out just to keep their tiny nervous systems, umm, nervous. Squirrels, birds, cats, whatever.  ON YOUR TOES ALL!  They have plenty of cover....
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  sanderson on 5/8/2017, 4:19 am

Mr. Booker, Beautiful garden. I can see how you raised the beds, though you previously described them. Are the neighbors across the street starting to weed the row garden? Have they seen how easy your garden is?

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14797
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/8/2017, 6:50 am

sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker,  Beautiful garden.  I can see how you raised the beds, though you previously described them.  Are the neighbors across the street starting to weed the row garden?  Have they seen how easy your garden is?
The garden across the street is under water and they're just as surprised this year as they were last year and the year before that.... rofl 

They bragged about having planted 93 peppers, which they planted on the NORTH end of a huge corn patch. We had a total of 15 inches of rain within a few weeks and my SFG had some water standing for awhile but it's all gone and I'm back to normal now.

I'll post pics this summer of the garden across the street. The weeds actually get 6 to 8 feet tall by the end of the summer and they do it EVERY year. They till, they plant, they're done for the summer.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Garden pics from S?W Illinois

Post  newbeone on 5/8/2017, 10:42 am

Mr. B that's a fine looking garden You have there! That structure you have for your tomatoes looks interesting.
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 173
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/8/2017, 10:49 am

newbeone wrote:Mr. B that's a fine looking garden You have there! That structure you have for your tomatoes looks interesting.
I've never ran my tomato's up a string before but been watching a lot of videos.  I usually just let my maters sprawl on the ground on straw and they do pretty well.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  countrynaturals on 5/8/2017, 11:56 am

MrBooker wrote:
newbeone wrote:Mr. B that's a fine looking garden You have there! That structure you have for your tomatoes looks interesting.
I've never ran my tomato's up a string before but been watching a lot of videos.  I usually just let my maters sprawl on the ground on straw and they do pretty well.
Hmm, velly intellesting! I have more tomato plants than cages this year. Maybe I'll try piling up twigs and branches for some of them to lean on and see how they do. It works for cukes and melons, so why not? geek
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2699
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/8/2017, 8:09 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
newbeone wrote:Mr. B that's a fine looking garden You have there! That structure you have for your tomatoes looks interesting.
I've never ran my tomato's up a string before but been watching a lot of videos.  I usually just let my maters sprawl on the ground on straw and they do pretty well.
Hmm, velly intellesting! I have more tomato plants than cages this year. Maybe I'll try piling up twigs and branches for some of them to lean on and see how they do. It works for cukes and melons, so why not? geek
Ihave 9 indeterminant tomato's in cages so we'll see which does the best.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  sanderson on 5/9/2017, 4:02 am

MrBooker wrote:
sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker,  Beautiful garden.  I can see how you raised the beds, though you previously described them.  Are the neighbors across the street starting to weed the row garden?  Have they seen how easy your garden is?
The garden across the street is under water and they're just as surprised this year as they were last year and the year before that.... rofl 

They bragged about having planted 93 peppers, which they planted on the NORTH end of a huge corn patch. We had a total of 15 inches of rain within a few weeks and my SFG had some water standing for awhile but it's all gone and I'm back to normal now.

I'll post pics this summer of the garden across the street. The weeds actually get 6 to 8 feet tall by the end of the summer and they do it EVERY year. They till, they plant, they're done for the summer.
dangit You would think they would get tired of the same failures.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14797
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/10/2017, 7:56 am

sanderson wrote:
MrBooker wrote:
sanderson wrote:Mr. Booker,  Beautiful garden.  I can see how you raised the beds, though you previously described them.  Are the neighbors across the street starting to weed the row garden?  Have they seen how easy your garden is?
The garden across the street is under water and they're just as surprised this year as they were last year and the year before that.... rofl 

They bragged about having planted 93 peppers, which they planted on the NORTH end of a huge corn patch. We had a total of 15 inches of rain within a few weeks and my SFG had some water standing for awhile but it's all gone and I'm back to normal now.

I'll post pics this summer of the garden across the street. The weeds actually get 6 to 8 feet tall by the end of the summer and they do it EVERY year. They till, they plant, they're done for the summer.
dangit You would think they would get tired of the same failures.
Starting later today, I will post month by month pics of that garden. It was funny last year, someone put a sign at the edge of the garden that said.. "Three stooges garden" and NO, it wasn't me. A few years ago, another sign showed up that read: "Weeds for sale. Pick your own". Nope, not me again.

    I think they use the garden for an excuse to drink beer.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  landarch on 5/10/2017, 10:05 pm

very nice...getting an early start with hoops is impressive.
avatar
landarch

Posts : 1145
Join date : 2012-01-22
Location : kansas city

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SFG garden update... with pics.

Post  MrBooker on 5/21/2017, 9:51 am

BellaFina red and yellow peppers. Wife and I found these peppers at Rural King and they were all but dead from lack of water. Soil was bone dry and leaves were wilted badly. We rushed them home and gave them a good drink of rain water and planted them with added Espoma organic garden tone and within a few days.............


8 barrels and tubs


Some of this and that and onion bed.


Beets were beaten down twice by rain and wind but comes right back.


Nine peppers in a 4x4


Kentucky Wonder bush green beans.


18 peppers in a 4x8.


Green onions.. White sweet Spanish onions with more peppers, green ice lettuce and Giant red mustard greens.


2 Yellow and 2 green Zukes, 4 tomatos and cukes on trellis.


Ten Tomato's growing up a string.




I also am making wood signs from pallet wood.



AND......   The end of a perfect day in the garden.


A cold beer and my squirrel git'er.


Woops... Almost forgot my compost piles. The Reaganite71's "Drunken compost" method is working great for me.



Last edited by MrBooker on 5/21/2017, 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added compost pics)
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  countrynaturals on 5/21/2017, 10:53 am

Love it, MrB -- except for your squirrel solution. We rarely see any because of the cats, but when we do, we don't shoot them, we feed them. We are an equal opportunity sanctuary. Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2699
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  MrBooker on 5/21/2017, 11:40 am

countrynaturals wrote:Love it, MrB -- except for your squirrel solution. We rarely see any because of the cats, but when we do, we don't shoot them, we feed them. We are an equal opportunity sanctuary. Rolling Eyes
I have really tried the "Mister nice guy" route with the squirrels.  They're always digging up the seeds or burying pecans or digging under the straw. 

I tried feeding them peanuts but they just dug up my garden and buried them. My neighbor, behind me, tried live trapping and relocating them but there's just to many of them. They destroy his garden also.

I don't have the time to cover and uncover my gardens all the time.  I have 11 SFG's.
The BB gun I use won't kill them but WILL sting their butt.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 384
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  sanderson on 5/21/2017, 2:01 pm

Looking good, Mr. Booker.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14797
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  trolleydriver on 5/21/2017, 3:36 pm

Mr. B thanks for the photos.  Looks like you have a lot of good things going and growing there.

I have squirrels and chipmunks digging up my SFG beds.  BB gun sounds like a good idea.  Would also help to improve my eye, hand, mind coordination.  Smile

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3786
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/21/2017, 4:09 pm

Everything looks so big and healthy! Lovely!
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6455
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  yolos on 5/21/2017, 4:57 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Everything looks so big and healthy!  Lovely!
+1
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3267
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Garden pics from S/W Illinois

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum