Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Today at 10:26 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 Today at 10:18 am

» Senseless Banter...
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:39 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:37 am

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by has55 Today at 4:53 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:34 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by Kelejan Yesterday at 3:30 pm

» My new compost heap
by Kelejan Yesterday at 3:20 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 9:26 am

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:44 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

» who has chickens
by AtlantaMarie 11/12/2017, 10:40 am

» Huge Box of Seeds from 2003!
by countrynaturals 11/11/2017, 10:17 pm

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 6:38 pm

» Veterans Day 2017 - SALUTE!
by Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 6:22 pm

» Comfrey
by sanderson 11/11/2017, 5:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from CT!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from CT!

Post  Cloudy on 5/19/2017, 5:18 pm

Hi.....my 2nd post here...great site. Long time gardener but brand new raised bed using Mels mix for soil. Loved what I saw on Utube "One Yard Revolution" for raised beds and planting in small yards. He mentioned Mel's methods and I remember I had Mel's book from way back in 1982. So dug it out and remembered when PBS had on real gardening shows as I used to watch Mel's show all the time.  Love the book too!

Hopefully I have as a great season as I did with the containers we've used the past few years. Should get in more plants and it looks a lot better.
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from CT!

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/20/2017, 6:23 am

Welcome fellow New Englander!
Cloudy, have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening books by Mel? That's what most of the people on this forum use. Like you I started with the old book also but after reading the new book I built some raised beds. So much easier!

Pop on over to the New England thread and say hi when you get a chance. Questions and photos are always welcome.
Smile

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 5/20/2017, 7:52 am

Hi Cloudy! Welcome from Atlanta, GA. Glad you've joined us...
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4326

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudy on 5/20/2017, 3:30 pm

Thanks guys! I don't have Mel's new book....yet. I needed to sell off some of my old fish breeding books to make room (we have a tiny house) but Amazon wiped out my sellers account for some reason. Need to call them they said. But once I get that back online I have a few new gardening books to buy and Mel's new one will be on that list.
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 5/20/2017, 5:22 pm

My library has Mel's books. While you're waiting maybe you could check to see if yours does too.
Smile
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/20/2017, 6:03 pm

Hey Cloudy!  Welcome!happy hi  Glad you found us!  Can't wait to hear about your journey!  What do you like to eat?  What are you planning to grow?  

Start small, keep notes...!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5459

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudy on 5/20/2017, 8:47 pm

Space limits me to what I can grow vs what I want to grow. But this year it will be a lot of tom's....some new type of cherry toms(Gardeners Delight) all of which I grew inside the house. My wife usually eats all the cherry toms off of the vine...lol....or my neighbors. Funny story....our elderly neighbor waves goodbye to use as we left for a 5 day vaca. We didn't get a mile when I realized that I left my wallet at home so we turned around. As I pulled into the driveway there she was....raiding my garden....her apron filled with my veggies. My wife said...."back away....don't embarrass her". So I did but the car clanked loud enough as I shifted to back up and she saw us. She yells...."you have a nice garden" and ran like a 20 year old with her booty!

The rest of it will be filled with cukes....which we love cold with the toms and some fresh oregano! Some kale.....zucchini....lots of beans....trying some new Fortex that Johnny Seeds carried. (awesome catalog) Also a lot of herbs.

Wish I could do a lot more.....whenever we pass a country house for sale I always yell to the wife...."lets get it...all I need is some land...a big red tractor...a rooster and donkey and we're set!" Smile))

Last year I did a hoop house and cold frame and we had spinach/mache. This fall/winter for sure making cold frames to go over the raised beds. But lets see what I do this summer with the raised beds and new soil!
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudy on 5/20/2017, 8:51 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:My library has Mel's books. While you're waiting maybe you could check to see if yours does too.
Smile

I don't mean to laugh but at first I said....yea right...our new library doesn't carry much for these type of books. They have it.... Laughing 

Thanks! I'll swing by on Monday!
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 5/30/2017, 8:27 pm

Hi Cloudy! And a belated: glad you\'re here
How's the reading of the ANSFG book going?
I look forward to your review of Fortex because I haven't settled on any particular bush bean for my garden yet. Johnny's has some nifty varieties (though I'm currently pouting that I can't seem to get their spring daikon radish, Alpine, to 'work' in my garden.)
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1278

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudy on 6/1/2017, 10:24 pm

Thanks Beetle! I need to check in here more often or set this up so it lets me know when I have posts.

This is my first try with the Fortex's....the ones I have are pole beans My wife LOVES green beans so I grow them for her. But since I've planted them all we've gotten has been rain and COLD air. Guess I'll be replanting them soon.

I love Johnny's catalog....real nice! I bought all my tom seeds from them....Mountain Magic, Defiant, New Girl. And my old stand by Burpee had Gardeners Delight.

Also tried some new cukes that are self pollinating...."H-19 Little Leaf".

The library didn't have the new SFG gardening book but instead a book of Mels Tips.
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/1/2017, 10:30 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hi Cloudy! And a belated: glad you\'re here
How's the reading of the ANSFG book going?
I look forward to your review of Fortex because I haven't settled on any particular bush bean for my garden yet. Johnny's has some nifty varieties (though I'm currently pouting that I can't seem to get their spring daikon radish, Alpine, to 'work' in my garden.)
As far as I know, Fortex is a pole bean.  I grew it last year and it was definitely a pole.
yolos

Female Posts : 3287

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/2/2017, 6:52 am

@Cloudy wrote:Thanks Beetle! I need to check in here more often or set this up so it lets me know when I have posts.

This is my first try with the Fortex's....the ones I have are pole beans My wife LOVES green beans so I grow them for her. But since I've planted them all we've gotten has been rain and COLD air. Guess I'll be replanting them soon.

I love Johnny's catalog....real nice! I bought all my tom seeds from them....Mountain Magic, Defiant, New Girl. And my old stand by Burpee had Gardeners Delight.

Also tried some new cukes that are self pollinating...."H-19 Little Leaf".

The library didn't have the new SFG gardening book but instead a book of Mels Tips.
Not sure why I assumed it was a bush,  thinking thanks for the clarification. I've looked at enough varieties I'm apparently scrambling them in my head. I guess I should say I haven't decided on a green snap bean, since I grow pole beans as well. I like Neckargold (pole) for yellow, but I'm also giving Galopka (bush) a square this year so I can compare. 

I haven't heard of Gardeners Delight, but I like that 'crack resistant' in the description. For my cherry tomato I've been keeping Sweetie, and comparing to that. I tried Chadwick last year, but while it had better disease resistance, I thought Sweetie had better flavor. This year I'm also trying Black Opal, Candy Icicle, and Isis Candy...I think those are all cherry sized, but don't quote me. Laughing
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1278

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudy on 6/2/2017, 8:45 pm

This is my first year with Gardeners Delight....in those neat Utube videos he was growing them so I thought let me try them. I just saw I got those seeds from Ferry-Morris....the plants look real good.

And same with Fortex....first time with them too.

Love to try a lot more varieties but our tiny yard limits me big time. My neighbor has this HUGE yard they do nothing with but grow grass....I just dream of what I'd be doing with it if it was mine!
Cloudy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum