Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by sanderson Today at 3:38 am

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by sanderson Today at 3:36 am

» Monarch Supporter
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:04 pm

» Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» New England August 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:12 pm

» What to do with fallen unripe tomatoes?
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Time flies when you are having fun
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:23 pm

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:17 pm

» Experiment - Amended Soil and MM
by Turan Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Aug 2017 lower south - better late than never
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:19 pm

» Sweet Potato "Toast" -- MIND BLOWN!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:56 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:46 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Caterpillar - Good or Bad?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:15 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by Fiz Yesterday at 7:51 am

» Avocado toast with garden tomato
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:13 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:01 am

» AUGUST 23, 2017, 6:00 PM EASTERN -- LIVE STREAM
by sfg4uKim 8/22/2017, 9:38 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 8/22/2017, 7:22 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by CapeCoddess 8/22/2017, 4:42 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by dixie 8/22/2017, 10:47 am

» Anyone growing fall peas in zone 7 TN
by dixie 8/22/2017, 9:50 am

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by Kelejan 8/22/2017, 12:35 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/21/2017, 9:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wet Weather Woes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wet Weather Woes

Post  Fiz on 5/30/2017, 10:12 pm

It's been raining a little too much here and while my SFG seems to be holding up well enough, my container plants are having a tough time. My sweet peppers have dark brown spots on some of the leaves (which I am reading is likely fungus related) and my eggplant leaves seem to be having some leaf trouble also. The soil just isn't getting an opportunity to dry out. 

Mostly I'm just venting, it's not all bad. My seed started marigolds are about to bloom, and my butterhead lettuce looks scrumptious. Just wanted to know if anyone else is having similar moisture challenges this spring. Here's to more sunny in the coming days!
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  AtlantaMarie on 5/31/2017, 6:42 am

Hi Fiz. Somewhere I think I missed you when you joined us.... My apologies! And welcome from Atlanta, GA!

Yes, we're also getting a lot of rain down here. And the weather folks are saying that it's going to continue for at least a couple more weeks.
avatar
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4216
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 54
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Fiz on 5/31/2017, 7:50 am

Hi Marie, thanks for the warm welcome! Better late than never! :-) I love Atlanta, been down there a few times when my sister was down there for school a few years back. I used to tell people here at home that the air was dewy sweet there, haha.

Yeah, it seems the whole Eastern side of North America is getting soaked this spring. There's been a lot of flooding in Montreal and some local flooding here in Toronto. They had to shut down Toronto island, a tourist area, until the end of June because it got so flooded that carp are actually swimming in what used to be a baseball diamond.

Fortunately my raised bed and containers are on a terrace above my garage so it isn't all bad. Just tryIng to ride it out!
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  yolos on 5/31/2017, 8:17 am

Yep, just south of Atlanta and getting rain every day.  My tomato plants and cucumbers are starting to get diseased earlier than normal.  Just a little rain each day but it is enough to keep me from spraying them for fungus related issues.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3248
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Robbomb116 on 5/31/2017, 8:42 am

In my neck of the woods (ok prairie) we have been having the opposite.  I don't think it's rained more than 3 or 4 days in 6 weeks.  And even then, a 15 minute shower for most of those days. Think we had one thunderstorm where it rained decent.  Everything is so dry we aren't even allowed to have campfires right now for fear of a wildfire. 

But as far as gardening goes, it's easy enough to add water, much more difficult to take it away.... so I won't complain too much.
avatar
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 322
Join date : 2016-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Bismarck ND, Zone 4a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  trolleydriver on 5/31/2017, 10:06 am

We are under another severe thunderstorm watch today and 70% chance of rain. Right now it's beautiful and sunny.  In the forecast there is a 30% to 60% chance of rain every day except one over the next 7 days. Maybe instead of building a new SFG bed I should be building an ark.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3531
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Fiz on 5/31/2017, 1:52 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:We are under another severe thunderstorm watch today and 70% chance of rain. Right now it's beautiful and sunny.  In the forecast there is a 30% to 60% chance of rain every day except one over the next 7 days. Maybe instead of building a new SFG bed I should be building an ark.

Haha, true enough - and bring 2 of every plant on board.  Razz
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Kelejan on 6/1/2017, 9:13 am

@trolleydriver wrote:We are under another severe thunderstorm watch today and 70% chance of rain. Right now it's beautiful and sunny.  In the forecast there is a 30% to 60% chance of rain every day except one over the next 7 days. Maybe instead of building a new SFG bed I should be building an ark.

Now is the time to try hydroponics, TD.
avatar
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4945
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 82
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  trolleydriver on 6/1/2017, 9:20 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:We are under another severe thunderstorm watch today and 70% chance of rain. Right now it's beautiful and sunny.  In the forecast there is a 30% to 60% chance of rain every day except one over the next 7 days. Maybe instead of building a new SFG bed I should be building an ark.

Now is the time to try hydroponics, TD.
You are funny Kelejan.

  rofl 

On the reality side of things, I guess I could start up my Aerogarden.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3531
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Fiz on 6/2/2017, 7:23 pm

We have finally had two or three consecutive days without rain and my soil is now happy again. Sunday will be a soggy one but today was beautiful and tomorrow will be even better. Now I will actually welcome the rain instead of dreading it! And so will my carrots, haha. 

avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/2/2017, 7:29 pm

You guys seem to be in the pattern we were in until Memorial Day!!!!  Wet and cold and windy.  It too will pass.Wink
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5129
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet Weather Woes

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum