Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three Sisters Square Foot garden
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:28 pm

» New England June 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:23 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:21 pm

» What to Grow through Very Hot Summers
by newbeone Today at 1:15 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 1:12 pm

» Does the SFG concept work for perennials?
by LynnF Today at 1:05 pm

» Watering
by newbeone Today at 1:01 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by CapeCoddess Today at 1:00 pm

» 2017 corn pictures
by yolos Today at 1:00 pm

» Baby Food
by CapeCoddess Today at 12:58 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by sanderson Today at 12:24 pm

» Cinnamon, Fungus, and Gnats
by yolos Today at 11:03 am

» Trellis
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:39 am

» Pepper argument who's right
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:35 am

» Question About Strawberries
by AtlantaMarie Today at 7:37 am

» Big Bug ?
by sanderson Today at 3:12 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson Today at 1:07 am

» New squash in a hurry
by RC3291 Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by yolos Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» Buzz Pollinators
by yolos Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JUNE 2017
by Fiz Yesterday at 9:14 pm

» N & C Midwest--It is JUNE!!!! Garden Time!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Poppy seeds - Hungarian Blue Breadseed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by Fiz Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» AtlantaMarie's Garden
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» Tomato - Snow Fairy
by quiltbea Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Fall Planting
by newbeone Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» Jaffa's garden - year one
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:14 pm

» Texas Dream garden 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:29 pm

» Should I cover plants while away
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

For those that grow food at home

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: For those that grow food at home

Post  has55 on 6/18/2017, 11:41 pm

anyone looked at the solar talk?
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/19/2017, 2:54 am

Not me.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 13983

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/19/2017, 7:33 am

Turns out I didn't have time to watch ANY of it...
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4129

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/19/2017, 5:04 pm

I just noticed I received an email tihis morning from the food summit.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/19/2017, 5:38 pm

I watched the hoop house construction one. It was a well done presentation, even though building one is not a project I could pull off anytime soon since I rent.

I also watched the Controlling Insects Naturally and Organically. It was a little more about identification than control, but even so, I learned a few things and would recommend it. (There were a few mis-speaks, but that happens when you're speaking publicly, and none of it was egregious.)
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1018

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/19/2017, 6:22 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:I watched the hoop house construction one. It was a well done presentation, even though building one is not a project I could pull off anytime soon since I rent.

I also watched the Controlling Insects Naturally and Organically. It was a little more about identification than control, but even so, I learned a few things and would recommend it. (There were a few mis-speaks, but that happens when you're speaking publicly, and none of it was egregious.)
i'll try to catch the insect one. I was sleeping yesterday to works night, so didn't see anything. I'm off today but have many irons in the fire. thank you for the send out.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/19/2017, 10:37 pm

I enjoyed the Howard GarrettControlling Insects Naturally and Organically and Glenn Meder-Water Purification for Better Health. The latter really open my eyes more about the safety of our water and the real myth of the efficiency of using filters. I have some time left so I will watch the one on hoop house.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 6/20/2017, 11:40 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@has55 wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@has55 wrote:she was good, but understanding soil building by Geoff Lawton knocks it out of the park. It will make up what you miss. With him, it like being a classroom. uses a chalkboard. he on today. will talk about her later. have to rest for work tonight.
Amen to that! He was amazing! That was the best presentation of the week and Stacey Murphy came in a nice close 2nd.  They've made a soil-lover out of me fer shure. I love you
It worth it weight in diamonds and gold
Jimmy cee I hope u can see it
It right up your alley
Watched Geoff Lawton’s  Understanding Soil Building and feel I have to comment on three points:

He says fertilizers "bound up in cadnium salt." This is misleading. Phosphate sometimes has a little cadmium contamination (as does your soil, and compost, and rock dust) but the NPK in fertilizers are salts that are typically combinations of one or more of: each-other(nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium), oxygen, hydrogen, calcium, sodium, sulfur, and chlorine. I’m not saying that fertilizers can’t have a detrimental effect on soil, but they aren’t salts of cadmium.

Second, and this may be a translation issue but he conflates the word “starch” with “sugars.” Plant roots trade sugars (and other compounds), not starch, with bacteria. Starches are large molecules made of many sugars stuck together and are difficult to export through the plant cell walls. The bacteria feed on the sugar and make that sticky substance that holds together the soil crumbs. That substance is also not starch, but is mostly composed of sugars.

I'm also not agreeing with the assumption that all insecticides kill bacteria just because they are smaller organisms than insects. I think the conclusion is correct (Insecticides usually have a detrimental effect on soil, and ultimately disrupt the bacterial diversity) but the means of arriving at that conclusion seems sketchy/overly simplified.
I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to the science, but this year really opened my eyes about the importance of soil health -- first from Paul about BTE, then these 2 presenters from the Summit. It's amazing how much healthier my plants are already. Next year it should be amazing. geek Thank you so much, Beetles, for taking the time to post such a detailed analysis. The lesson here is to pay attention and not accept everything we read as being 100% accurate. Shocked
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2035

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/20/2017, 1:22 pm

Thanks, Suz! I try to use my critical thinking as I'm watching, because there are a lot of myths that creep in. The scientific grain of truth of the myth gets overstated, understated, or misstated because things change as they pass through/between people and the media.

And sometimes science doesn't set up studies well - the microwaving broccoli study made me aware of that. I went back and looked at the original study, and found they used different amounts of water for comparing cooking broccoli in the microwave and steaming it on the stove top. The problem with that is when you use more water to cook vegetables, you have greater potential to lose more water-soluble vitamins/minerals/etc. By using different amounts of water, you introduce a variable - and you can't discern whether any of the nutritional loss was due to the microwave itself, or if it was all loss to the water the broccoli was immersed in. Steaming the broccoli in the microwave would have been a better comparison. (I now cook my broccoli in the microwave without adding any water.)

My main thought after watching the distilled water video was - Wait, what happens to all the bad, good, and neutral stuff that is left behind after you remove the water from the tap water? I'm guessing there must be some part of the distillation device (it was implied that selling such devices was a family business) that needs to be periodically cleaned or replaced to deal with the accumulation of salts and other ex-solutes.

I'm also leery about the healthfulness of drinking distilled water. In school they specifically indicated the distilled water present in laboratories shouldn't be consumed because it wasn't safe. But I'm not finding any good studies online that indicate anything one way or the other: nothing says its perfectly safe to drink long-term, and nothing proving it's slightly harmful.
BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/20/2017, 2:54 pm

Welcome Encore Day #2 of the Home Grown Food Summit
got this AM. only a picture below. click above link to get there,
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/20/2017, 3:00 pm

BPSF, this may help you with some of your questions about the long-term effect of distilled water.

Water—The Choice for Long-Term Health

The Hallelujah Diet® Research-more research articles
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 6/20/2017, 3:57 pm

@has55 wrote:BPSF, this may help you with some of your questions about the long-term effect of distilled water.

Water—The Choice for Long-Term Health

The Hallelujah Diet® Research-more research articles
Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to find!
Hm... some other interesting articles, too... study
BeetlesPerSqFt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 6/21/2017, 5:35 am

I hope everyone has a chance to see "Howard Garrett – Planting and Managing Trees the Right Way." it was so good. A great presentation with excellent pictures. it's about 30-35 mins long.  I assume the encore viewing is over at 9:00 AM.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum