Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 2017 corn pictures
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:44 am

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:43 am

» Hello gardener's
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:42 am

» The Best Steps for Storing Tomatillos
by AtlantaMarie Today at 1:38 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 12:52 am

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Turan Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» What I've learned this year
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal Yesterday at 7:43 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Kelejan Yesterday at 6:20 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by llama momma Yesterday at 1:58 pm

» New England August 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:45 pm

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:38 pm

» Baba Ghanoush
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:05 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:30 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:09 am

» Caterpillars -Armyworm?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/19/2017, 8:58 pm

» Oregon City Newbie
by trolleydriver 8/19/2017, 1:04 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by sanderson 8/19/2017, 12:53 pm

» who has chickens
by llama momma 8/18/2017, 1:40 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver 8/18/2017, 12:10 pm

» Franken-mato!!!
by hammock gal 8/18/2017, 7:48 am

» Mid-Atl - Aug 2017 - Planning/Planting Fall/Winter Garden
by BeetlesPerSqFt 8/17/2017, 11:05 pm

» Amaranth
by Scorpio Rising 8/17/2017, 9:53 pm

» It's actually more like surviving.... these days...
by RoOsTeR 8/17/2017, 3:14 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals 8/17/2017, 2:40 pm

» Heat wave and shade screen
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

» Sweet Potatoes
by sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:04 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/7/2017, 9:20 pm

I know I got started a little late but I'm quite proud of my 1st garden.  Things worked out as we had bushes removed and it looked like a great location...come to find out from the women we bought the house from this is the same spot her husband had his gardens years ago Smile  Most plants were purchased at a local garden store.  I'm glad I started with just 2 blocks as I'm already learning a lot.  But right now I'm at the hard part (for me)...I get so excited for the planting but right now there is nothing to do so I catch myself just going and looking at my plants daily lol. Here's my little garden.  Thanks for the kindness and support you have already showed me.
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  trolleydriver on 6/7/2017, 9:36 pm

You are off to a terrific start Roxy. I think you are doing the right thing beginning with two boxes the first year, That is what I did.  But watch out. The SFG bug will get you and you will have the urge to build more boxes next year or sooner. I'm speaking from experience.

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3507
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/7/2017, 9:38 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:You are off to a terrific start Roxy. I think you are doing the right thing beginning with two boxes the first year, That is what I did.  But watch out. The SFG bug will get you and you will have the urge to build more boxes next year or sooner. I'm speaking from experience.
HAHAHA!!!  We already have plants for an herb bed and a 3rd veg bed so yea the bug is caught.
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  sanderson on 6/9/2017, 2:28 pm

Roxy, I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread. The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14403
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/9/2017, 6:47 pm

@sanderson wrote:Roxy,  I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread.  The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy
Thank you! I don't do much I'm forums lol
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/9/2017, 9:49 pm

@Roxystargazer wrote:
@sanderson wrote:Roxy,  I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread.  The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy
Thank you! I don't do much I'm forums lol
I am impressed!  Nice job!  Lots of learning!  Keep detailed notes.  And keep us posted  flower
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5113
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  MrBooker on 6/10/2017, 6:18 am

@Roxystargazer wrote:I know I got started a little late but I'm quite proud of my 1st garden.  Things worked out as we had bushes removed and it looked like a great location...come to find out from the women we bought the house from this is the same spot her husband had his gardens years ago Smile  Most plants were purchased at a local garden store.  I'm glad I started with just 2 blocks as I'm already learning a lot.  But right now I'm at the hard part (for me)...I get so excited for the planting but right now there is nothing to do so I catch myself just going and looking at my plants daily lol. Here's my little garden.  Thanks for the kindness and support you have already showed me.
Great job Roxy. Everything looks so neat and it appears you have the spacing right. I tend to over crowed mine.
I hope you plan on a fall garden. You can extend the growing season into the winter with hoops and plastic.

I grew carrots last year all winter long with LOTS of mulch and plastic over them. It's a great reward to go out and harvest things like carrots, cabbage, turnips and parsnips in February when it's 8 degrees F.

Don't let old man winter scare you off.
avatar
MrBooker

Male Posts : 381
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 71
Location : SW Illinois 62260

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: MY 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  newbeone on 6/10/2017, 5:01 pm

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on catching the Bug! So what do you have planted in them very nice looking beds?
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/10/2017, 6:53 pm

@newbeone wrote:Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on catching the Bug! So what do you have planted in them very nice looking beds?
Thank you! I have 2 tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, bush beans, 4 broccoli, 4 cauliflower, 1 mellon, 1 cucumber, spinach, red sail, mescalin, geranium, nasturtiums, romain, and 6 corn (because it's ). I figured I would try little but everything lol. I already have an herb garden elsewhere.
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/10/2017, 6:57 pm

@MrBooker wrote:
I hope you plan on a fall garden. You can extend the growing season into the winter with hoops and plastic.

I grew carrots last year all winter long with LOTS of mulch and plastic over them. It's a great reward to go out and harvest things like carrots, cabbage, turnips and parsnips in February when it's 8 degrees F.

Don't let old man winter scare you off.
I am hoping to do a fall garden.  You have given me some great ideas!!!  Thank you so much!!  It must be great to get fresh produce in winter.
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  quiltbea on 6/10/2017, 7:16 pm

Roxy......You've got a great start. Don't overdo it at the beginning. We don't want you to be overwhelmed. See how these work out for you and then expand a little each year. You will find that garden-grown is the tastiest food of all.
avatar
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4688
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 75
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer on 6/10/2017, 7:41 pm

@quiltbea wrote:Roxy......You've got a great start.  Don't overdo it at the beginning.  We don't want you to be overwhelmed.  See how these work out for you and then expand a little each year.  You will find that garden-grown is the tastiest food of all.
Hahaha yea I'm trying to control myself. This is definitely it...for this year Wink And who doesn't love fresh from the garden veg, especially when it's your own garden!
avatar
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 39
Location : Rochester, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum