Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Questions

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tomato Questions

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/11/2017, 6:45 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:If you immediately pop the clipped one into water, or very wet soil, you may be able to get it to root. It will be behind the others, but sometimes it's nice to have a backup.
And if you have some rooting hormone, do that first!  It works!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/12/2017, 8:34 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:If you immediately pop the clipped one into water, or very wet soil, you may be able to get it to root. It will be behind the others, but sometimes it's nice to have a backup.
And if you have some rooting hormone, do that first!  It works!
Yeah.  I need to get some of that, but I didn’t have it on hand, so I clipped the one and put it in water.
I cut slits in the side of the peat pot and up-potted this for the second time. (These were the Cherokee Purples that were in the KKurig pod) . I am looking for a large pot to be it’s permanent home for a reasonable price now.

Once in its permanent pot, I plan to put it on a pallet with wheels so I can wheel it in an out of the garage for sun on days I know it won’t frost and wheel it back in when frost is threatening.
brianj555

Male Posts : 318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 11/12/2017, 11:46 pm

Here is what I usually do starting in the early, early spring.  The two tomato plants are sitting on the top of a wagon my father built a hundred years ago to haul trash cans out to the street for pickup (before garbage cans actually had wheels).  I inherited his contraption and use it for moving tomato plants in and out of the garage to keep the tomato plants within proper temperature range.  These were grown this last spring and I had tomatoes way earlier than normal.

This was in the fall one year where I was harvesting ripe tomatoes after Christmas.  Our first frost date is normally around Oct 28.
yolos

Female Posts : 3291

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/13/2017, 10:04 am

@yolos wrote:Here is what I usually do starting in the early, early spring.  The two tomato plants are sitting on the top of a wagon my father built a hundred years ago to haul trash cans out to the street for pickup (before garbage cans actually had wheels).  I inherited his contraption and use it for moving tomato plants in and out of the garage to keep the tomato plants within proper temperature range.  These were grown this last spring and I had tomatoes way earlier than normal.

This was in the fall one year where I was harvesting ripe tomatoes after Christmas.  Our first frost date is normally around Oct 28.
That's Great.  My "Projected" first frost date is somewhere between now and the middle of December. (depending on the source)  I am still harvesting tomatoes that were transplanted at the end of July.  I have had about ten new baby tomatoes pop out in the last few days.  I don't think they will have nearly enough time to become "full grown vine ripened adults" but you never know.  I didn't transplant them until late July because that's when I built my boxes.  I planted "heatwave" and "celebrity" (hybrid determinates) because I had no clue there where different types at the time.  The celebrities are said to have some indeterminate qualities and will somewhat continue to fruit until the frost and that is basically what I am seeing.  I would say 8 out of 10 of the brand new fruits that popped out over the weekend were the celebrity plants.  
Right now I have two "Cherokee Purples" the ones in the pic above. (one is in the pot and one in the water that I am hoping will root)  I also have one roma, abe lincoln and beefsteak that I have just up-potted for the first time.  I am sowing about one new plant every two weeks for practice for January more than anything.  I'm trying to make all my mistakes now, so when it comes "game time" in mid January, I will at least have learned a few things not to do Embarassed.  
I'm guessing that anything sowed for the next few weeks will be destined to be container plants as my understanding is that adult tomato plants do not transplant well.  Is that true?  What is your experience?  I guess what I'm asking is , at what point in development should the plants stay in containers and not be transplanted out into the ANSFG????
Next question is about permanent containers for the above mentioned varieties:  To be safe, I shouldn't really transplant anything into the outside bed until the very end of Feb. / beginning of March.  
The Cherokee Purples that are pictured above will be approx. 5 months old (from the date sowed. germinated 2 1/2 weeks later) at that time.  I'm assuming I should not transplant them at that age, so knowing that they grow from 4-8' and get a minimum of 18" wide, What size container would this variety need to be transplanted in to give it a chance to fruit??
Abe Lincoln ( 4-8' - 24") , Roma and Beefsteak (6-8' - 24" ) will be 4 months old since they were sowed at that time. (germination 1 week after sow).  What size containers would they need ?? (respectively)?
I would appreciate any and all opinions, thoughts and suggestions!  Thanks!
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tomato Questions

Post  newbeone on 11/13/2017, 10:25 am

Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.
newbeone

Male Posts : 178

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 11/13/2017, 12:34 pm

@newbeone wrote:Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.
Best idea, yet! clap
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/13/2017, 1:13 pm

@newbeone wrote:Just a thought, how about spreading them apart to form a Y, remove all the lower leaves and burry them deep when you repot them, then when you plant them out you can cut them apart as new roots will have formed on  the stems that you buried during repotting.

Could someone explain this process to me?  I'm not sure what was meant by spreading them apart to form a "Y".
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 11/14/2017, 2:54 am

The roots will be planted together. As they get taller, one plant will be trained up one stake (whatever) and the other plant up another stake a foot or more away.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/14/2017, 9:19 am

@sanderson wrote:The roots will be planted together.  As they get taller, one plant will be trained up one stake (whatever) and the other plant up another stake a foot or more away.
 So they are referring to two plants in one pot or to somehow split the one plant into two sections????  If it is to split one, what is the best way to do that?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tomato Questions

Post  newbeone on 11/14/2017, 9:50 am

Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
newbeone

Male Posts : 178

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/14/2017, 7:50 pm

@newbeone wrote:Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
I understand now.  Thank you for clarifying.  That would have been a good idea, but I already cut one.  It’s in water now.   Been there about three days and already looks like some roots are about to come out .
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/14/2017, 8:26 pm

@brianj555 wrote:
@newbeone wrote:Sorry about the confusion. where you have two very nice tomato seedlings come up and you don't really want to cut one of them, by spreading them apart and removing the lower leaves then burry them deep when you repot them new roots will develop on the buried stems to support the new plants when you transplant them. Sometime I think I know what I want to say but it's hard to put into words.
I understand now.  Thank you for clarifying.  That would have been a good idea, but I already cut one.  It’s in water now.   Been there about three days and already looks like some roots are about to come out .
I didn’t get it either, thanks for the clarification! cheers
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Success ! “ I think “

Post  brianj555 on 11/19/2017, 10:26 am

brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 11/19/2017, 11:01 am

@brianj555 wrote:
SWEET! (Wish I knew what happened to our little hand-shaking smiley. Sad )
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

Yes.  I was very pleased to see that work.  I have transplanted and will wait to see how it takes. If it works that well the majority of the time, I’ll be doing that with all of the suckers.  Who knows, maybe one plant can turn into many.  That would be great for gifts ect.
thinking I wonder if the rooted suckers will make just as good of plants as the host?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum