Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New England Nov 2017
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:53 am

» Today's Harvest
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:51 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 8:49 am

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2017, 9:01 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver 11/22/2017, 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 11/22/2017, 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie 11/22/2017, 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Planting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fall Planting

Post  yolos on 6/22/2017, 11:33 am

I found this fall planting calculator at Johnny's Seeds.  I have not yet looked close enough at it to determine if it will work for me but I will this fall.  You have to change the first frost date for your area.  

The calculator is located about halfway down the page under the heading PLANT.  It is called Fall-Harvest Planting Calculator and is an excel file.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/online-tools-calculators.html?trk_msg=N0PT79MMLUR4D9MUS9LSQA7FC0&trk_contact=MT02LF93UAUHPMBLI0302RL9MC&trk_sid=8O1FO9V6J0T03M14H9KV6GUFAO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Johnny%26%2339%3bs+Planning+Tools+%26amp%3b+Calculators&utm_campaign=Harvest-Tools-06-2017-HG
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  countrynaturals on 6/22/2017, 11:38 am

@yolos wrote:I found this fall planting calculator at Johnny's Seeds.  I have not yet looked close enough at it to determine if it will work for me but I will this fall.  You have to change the first frost date for your area.  

The calculator is located about halfway down the page under the heading PLANT.  It is called Fall-Harvest Planting Calculator and is an excel file.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-library/online-tools-calculators.html?trk_msg=N0PT79MMLUR4D9MUS9LSQA7FC0&trk_contact=MT02LF93UAUHPMBLI0302RL9MC&trk_sid=8O1FO9V6J0T03M14H9KV6GUFAO&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Johnny%26%2339%3bs+Planning+Tools+%26amp%3b+Calculators&utm_campaign=Harvest-Tools-06-2017-HG
Summer's only one day old and we're already talking about fall. rofl (My first fall seed order is already on its way from Burpee. Razz )
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  Robbomb116 on 6/22/2017, 12:03 pm

[quote="countrynaturals"
Summer's only one day old and we're already talking about fall. rofl (My first fall seed order is already on its way from Burpee. Razz )[/quote]

You laugh, but some of us northerners should be planting some of our seeds for a fall garden in a few weeks... at least according to that calculator.
avatar
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 326
Join date : 2016-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Bismarck ND, Zone 4a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  countrynaturals on 6/22/2017, 12:40 pm

@Robbomb116 wrote:[quote="countrynaturals"
Summer's only one day old and we're already talking about fall. rofl (My first fall seed order is already on its way from Burpee. Razz )

You laugh, but some of us northerners should be planting some of our seeds for a fall garden in a few weeks...  at least according to that calculator.[/quote]

Yes I laugh, but I will also be planting for fall very soon. The only difference is that mine will stay inside longer so they'll get a good head start for when the temps cool off enough to put them out. Wink
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  sanderson on 6/22/2017, 2:25 pm

I will be starting seedlings on or before Sept 1 and planting Oct 1, or when I finally remove summer crops. Wink Shade cloth is normally needed until Nov. Oct is the best travel vacation month for me.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  yolos on 6/22/2017, 2:28 pm

Yea, most of our fall veggie transplants can be set out about 9/1.  All depends on the weather.  I really would like to set some out a little early with heavy shade cloth. I tried that one year but had an early frost which damaged my English Sweet pea pods.  Maybe this year if I want a lot of peas, I will start them in pots inside.  The last two years I have grown Strike Peas which have a short DTM of about 47 days but are not as productive per SF as a pole variety.  We have a very short fall here in GA.

I am dreaming about a 1 foot wide planter, about 4 inches deep, with a removable bottom.  Cheap cedar fence boards.  Plant early inside.  When it cools off, take the planter out to a garden bed that has a trellis, set it on the soil in the bed next to the trellis, gently remove the bottom, and let them keep growing.  Maybe convert my tomato wagon to a pea wagon and roll it out in the morning, back in the garage during the heat of the day, then back out in the evening.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  countrynaturals on 6/22/2017, 3:04 pm

@yolos wrote:I am dreaming about a 1 foot wide planter, about 4 inches deep, with a removable bottom.  Cheap cedar fence boards.  Plant early inside.  When it cools off, take the planter out to a garden bed that has a trellis, set it on the soil in the bed next to the trellis, gently remove the bottom, and let them keep growing.  Maybe convert my tomato wagon to a pea wagon and roll it out in the morning, back in the garage during the heat of the day, then back out in the evening.
Our plant babies are almost as much trouble as human babies. Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2844
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  Robbomb116 on 6/22/2017, 3:39 pm

I wish I had the ability to shade things part of the day, or move things part of the day. But working full time means on weekdays my plant babies are on their own from about 7 am To 5:30 pm at least.
avatar
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 326
Join date : 2016-07-07
Age : 28
Location : Bismarck ND, Zone 4a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  yolos on 6/22/2017, 4:33 pm

@Robbomb116 wrote:I wish I had the ability to shade things part of the day, or move things part of the day. But working full time means on weekdays my plant babies are on their own from about 7 am To 5:30 pm at least.
I know exactly how you feel.  Until I retired (about 2 years ago) I was in your same position.  I do have one spot - my front porch - that gets shade starting about 2 pm so I can do some early planting in pots that can later be moved out to full sun when it starts getting cool.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Fall Planting

Post  newbeone on 6/22/2017, 5:26 pm

I may be wasting my time But I have seed starting mix soaking now I want to plant more herbs this fall so I will start flowers Calendula, Stevia Chamomile, Echinacea and California Poppy all have herbal uses and if they make it I'm ahead of the game if not I'll do it again later. the other day I pulled off some suckers from the tomato plants that I want to keep and stuck them into some potting mix to root out for fall planting.
avatar
newbeone

Male Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 76
Location : San Antonio, Tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Planting

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum