Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by countrynaturals Today at 11:58 am

» Biochar?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:54 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:34 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:31 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:27 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 7:36 am

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by robert1938 Today at 7:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Today at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:21 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Yesterday at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2017, 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

» Turan in the Western Mountains
by countrynaturals 10/17/2017, 3:37 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hail Damage (Pics) - Am I in Trouble?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hail Damage (Pics) - Am I in Trouble?

Post  Fiz on 6/26/2017, 7:48 pm

Well, after a string of thunderstorms the last couple of weeks and numerous watches and warnings, it finally happened. While I was at work, a hail storm attacked my garden and wreaked havoc on my plants. pale Fortunately, no damage to the tomato plants or fruit. Whew!

As I look at the damage, I wonder how bad it is and whether I need to do to anything to make sure I avoid any lasting effects like disease. Or is it mostly cosmetic damage (as the damaged plants does are quite mature) and I should just wait and see? Pics below, let me know what you guys think! I'm not sure how much leaf damage is too much. Trying to gauge what leaves I should remove. I don't want to overreact and set the plants back too much. Give it to me straight, don't sugar coat it, lol.

Eggplant:

Cucumber:

Corn:

More cucumber: 
Fiz

Male Posts : 147

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hail Damage (Pics) - Am I in Trouble?

Post  llama momma on 6/26/2017, 7:50 pm

I wouldn't be concerned.
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4855

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 6/26/2017, 7:58 pm

Sorry to see the damage to your garden Fiz. We are expecting hail here in Ottawa as well.  In my opinion "it's just a flesh wound" and I expect your plants will recover. However, there are most likely other forum members who have experienced hail damage in their gardens and who can provide you with some real advice.

Quote: The quotation "it's just a flesh wound" is from the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It was spoken by the Black Knight after he received severe wounds in a fight with King Arthur.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/26/2017, 9:42 pm

I'm optimistic that they will be totally fine but I'll keep you guys posted!

And TD, I love Holy Grail. Have seen it more times than I can count, lol.
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/27/2017, 6:13 am

You'd be surprised at how resiliant plants are. They'll be fine. And if nothing else, you can cut those leaves off...

I love Holy Grail too... :-)
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4273

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/27/2017, 7:44 am

Thanks all! I assumed they would probably be fine, I guess I'm more concerned that there's no end in sight for daily rain so I want to avoid fungus or other diseases entering the wounds. But I don't want to cut leaves off preemptively and risk reducing productivity, as they are mostly all at or getting to the fruiting stage.

This shows that gardening wouldn't be enjoyable if it was too easy, haha. The challenges make it rewarding! ;-)
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/28/2017, 7:32 pm

Hey all, here's an update on the plants post-hail storm. I'm noticing scar-like marks on all the leaves. See the pics below:

These definitely weren't there before as you can see from the previous pictures. Anyone know what might be going on? Perhaps just damage showing up after the fact or something's else?

Also, potentially unrelated, some of my lower corn leaves are yellowing and dying off. Not sure what is happening there either. Could it be all the rain? Nitrogen deficiency? I have no clue. :-( Link to pic below: 

https://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/19/70/08/57/img_6221.jpg
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/28/2017, 9:06 pm

I think they look like they will be fine.  Corn will yellow in the presence of too much rain, but your MM should drain well, is there a water logging issue?  Might need a shot of nitrogen?

What say others?
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5358

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/28/2017, 9:30 pm

Hey Scorpio! That corn is not in MM, it's in a container with potting mix. I think you are right about too much rain, although that potting mix dries out pretty fast, I'm guessing the rain has leeched the nitrogen out. I have been using a water soluable fertilizer that works quite well (10-15-10) but with all the raIn I haven't been watering (since I need to apply the fertilizer with water) so I guess the container must be depleted. I've got slow release fertilizer pellets that are 12-4-8 and also chicken manure pellets, but those I think have 4% nitrogen only. I'm guess the liquid fertilizer will likely be the fastest acting.
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 6/29/2017, 8:18 am

"Scars" would be my guess... It almost looks like an old bruise...
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4273

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 6/29/2017, 10:02 am

Fiz - Is that pot you used for the corn large enough.  Smaller pots require more frequent watering and therefore more loss of nutrients.  Corn requires much more nitrogen than almost any other vegetable that we grow in our home gardens.  So my thought is that the 10-15-10 formula is not weighted enough in the nitrogen.  

My son in law comes from a farming family that grew corn in south Georgia.  Although the SIL knows nothing about growing corn, his uncle (the farmer) was visiting the other day.  He said the initial fertilizer can be something like 10-10-10 but the two subsequent feedings should be something like 34-0-0.  Lots of nitrogen.  I usually do not use synthetic fertilizers but decided to use it on the corn beds because I have had failures in the past.  Also, I have southern blight in those beds and the only thing I can grow there is corn.  I doubt you could use this formulation in a pot but I wanted you to know how much nitrogen they require as they grow.  And I don't know how blood meal, alphala meal or other nitrogen rich organic fertilizers would work if used in containers.

I just pulled one of my corn plants up getting ready to clear the bed for a second planting of corn.  Here is a picture of the root system of my corn (Silver Queen).  I am assuming some of the root system was left in the ground but the part of the root ball that was pulled out of the ground measured 13 inches deep and 9 inches wide.  So I am wondering again if that pot is large enough.  Also, it looks like it could have been filled with much more soil.  Maybe your soil settled too much after you planted.

yolos

Female Posts : 3266

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/29/2017, 11:13 am

yolos wrote:...his uncle (the farmer) was visiting the other day.  He said the initial fertilizer can be something like 10-10-10 but the two subsequent feedings should be something like 34-0-0.  Lots of nitrogen.  I usually do not use synthetic fertilizers but decided to use it on the corn beds because I have had failures in the past.  ...

Very good info, Yolos. I had no idea they were such heavy feeders.
Thanks for this.

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/29/2017, 3:53 pm

Agreed, thanks Yolos! My prior research before planting was that the pot size that I was using should be enough (it was recommended to use a 12 inch deep and 12 inch wide pot). I'll measure the soil depth when I get home, but I think it might have settled some with all the rain, you're probably right about that. I will add some more soil in there to top it up a bit.

I have more corn planted in my SFG, and I guess my logic was that if I have 7-8 inches there and the corn should be able to grow in that bed, then it should be okay in a 12 inch container. I guess this will be a good experiment to see if it grows okay or not! 

Regarding the fertilizer, that's definitely an eye opener! I'll have to grab some heavy nitrogen fertilizer then in that case. Thanks for the info! I was giving the corn the water soluble stuff every time I watered, so I figured it would be sufficient, and there's a YouTube gardener that I watch (MIGardener) who says that plants are capable of up-taking what they need from the soil regarding nutrients, so a balanced fertilizer is okay in most cases. Not sure how true that statement is based on what you're saying, but maybe this can be an experimental year for me and the container corn and I can see what ends up happening. More than likely I will end up with little cobs, or no cobs at all, lol.
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/29/2017, 6:42 pm

Fiz wrote:Hey Scorpio! That corn is not in MM, it's in a container with potting mix. I think you are right about too much rain, although that potting mix dries out pretty fast, I'm guessing the rain has leeched the nitrogen out. I have been using a water soluable fertilizer that works quite well (10-15-10) but with all the raIn I haven't been watering (since I need to apply the fertilizer with water) so I guess the container must be depleted.  I've got slow release fertilizer pellets that are 12-4-8  and also chicken manure pellets, but those I think have 4% nitrogen only.  I'm guess the liquid fertilizer will likely be the fastest acting.
A nice and pure nitrogen organic amendment is blood meal, sprinkled on the top and raked in.  Agree what yolos added as well.  Corn is greedy.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 6/29/2017, 9:26 pm

Back to hail ...

Our son and his family live about 20 minutes (17 Km or 10.5 miles) by car from us. Yesterday they got hail but we did not. Here is a photo of their backyard deck and another photo of some of the hail collected in a bowl.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/29/2017, 10:22 pm

To quote Ron Burgandy, Knights of Columbus!

That is insane...
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 6/29/2017, 11:56 pm

Yolos,  I'm glad you posted the photo of the root area.  I thought I did not plant the seeds deep enough as I could see those higher lateral roots.  My husband said there were normal but your garden corn photo confirms what my husband said.

TD, Hail! Did the kids build a hail man?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14776

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz on 6/30/2017, 8:28 am

I also wondered if seeing those top roots was normal. I covered them yesterday with some new soil. Going to continue the corn discussion in the Growing Corn thread. :-)
Fiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/30/2017, 12:50 pm

Hail man! lol!

trolleydriver wrote:Back to hail ...

Our son and his family live about 20 minutes (17 Km or 10.5 miles) by car from us. Yesterday they got hail but we did not. Here is a photo of their backyard deck and another photo of some of the hail collected in a bowl.

Nauseating photos for summertime. Razz Looks too much like snow. New England has been getting hail here and there, but not at my house...yet.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/30/2017, 9:57 pm

Hail yeah!  lol!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum