Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Today at 11:11 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 11:04 pm

» Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!
by brianj555 Today at 10:26 pm

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by sanderson Today at 10:03 pm

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by sanderson Today at 9:42 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Mimi2 Today at 9:27 pm

» New England August 2017
by sanderson Today at 9:12 pm

» What to do with fallen unripe tomatoes?
by sanderson Today at 9:07 pm

» Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:01 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Today at 8:52 pm

» Time flies when you are having fun
by sanderson Today at 8:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Today at 8:23 pm

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Scorpio Rising Today at 7:17 pm

» Experiment - Amended Soil and MM
by Turan Today at 4:41 pm

» Aug 2017 lower south - better late than never
by brianj555 Today at 4:19 pm

» Sweet Potato "Toast" -- MIND BLOWN!
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:56 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:52 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 10:25 am

» Caterpillar - Good or Bad?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 8:15 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by Fiz Today at 7:51 am

» Avocado toast with garden tomato
by sanderson Today at 2:13 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by sanderson Today at 1:01 am

» AUGUST 23, 2017, 6:00 PM EASTERN -- LIVE STREAM
by sfg4uKim Yesterday at 9:38 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by dixie Yesterday at 10:47 am

» Anyone growing fall peas in zone 7 TN
by dixie Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:35 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/21/2017, 9:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ode to the Hover Fly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Fiz on 6/29/2017, 10:40 pm

While in the garden, I watched in awe as a hover fly moved speedily and gracefully from plant to plant, looking for flowers or some tasty pests to eat. It didn't seem to find anything it liked, but it hung around for quite a while. I thought it was a bee at first since they have similar markings. I loved watching it zoom from one plant to the next, checking it quickly while hovering in mid-air like a humming bird and then dashing off to the next one. It inspired me to write a little poem about it. Cool

Ode to the Hover Fly

Oh, little hover fly, zipping to and fro,
you move about like a helicopter,
always on the go.

Oh, little hover fly, looking for a pest,
you are my new favorite beneficial,
I like you the very best.

Oh, little hover fly, graceful as can be,
I hope you fly on back again 
and come to visit me.
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  sanderson on 6/30/2017, 1:00 am

rock on  

Love my hover flies, especially for pollinating cucumbers and cantaloupe.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14428
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 68
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  CapeCoddess on 6/30/2017, 2:09 pm

@Fiz wrote:

Ode to the Hover Fly

Oh, little hover fly, zipping to and fro,
you move about like a helicopter,
always on the go.

Oh, little hover fly, looking for a pest,
you are my new favorite beneficial,
I like you the very best.

Oh, little hover fly, graceful as can be,
I hope you fly on back again 
and come to visit me.

OMG...that's adorable!!!
way to go
CC
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6321
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Fiz on 6/30/2017, 8:31 pm

Haha, thanks CC! I used to write poems a lot when I was younger. Every once in a while I find a reason to whip one up, lol!
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  donnainzone5 on 6/30/2017, 8:35 pm

The ones I've seen are not so little.
avatar
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2147
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 70
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Fiz on 6/30/2017, 8:49 pm

I actually saw a baby one on the street car the day before. It was like a little yellow circle just suspended in mid air in front of me, lol. It was quite bizarre. I just blew on it and it flew away.

The one I saw in the garden was the size of a small honey bee, I'd say.
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  donnainzone5 on 6/30/2017, 8:59 pm

The ones I saw gathering nectar from my daffodils this spring looked like a cross between a gigantic honey bee and a hummingbird.
avatar
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2147
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 70
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

View user profile http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 7/3/2017, 2:26 pm

Here's one of my small hover flies, perched on a cucumber tendril.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1146
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/3/2017, 3:41 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Fiz wrote:

Ode to the Hover Fly

Oh, little hover fly, zipping to and fro,
you move about like a helicopter,
always on the go.

Oh, little hover fly, looking for a pest,
you are my new favorite beneficial,
I like you the very best.

Oh, little hover fly, graceful as can be,
I hope you fly on back again 
and come to visit me.

OMG...that's adorable!!!  
way to go
CC
I love it!!!!!  Are these what we called sweat bees growing up?
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5129
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 7/3/2017, 5:14 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Fiz wrote:

Ode to the Hover Fly

Oh, little hover fly, zipping to and fro,
you move about like a helicopter,
always on the go.

Oh, little hover fly, looking for a pest,
you are my new favorite beneficial,
I like you the very best.

Oh, little hover fly, graceful as can be,
I hope you fly on back again 
and come to visit me.

OMG...that's adorable!!!  
way to go
CC
I love it!!!!!  Are these what we called sweat bees growing up?
There are actual bees called sweat bees: http://bugguide.net/node/view/128/bgpage
But hover flies also get called sweat bees (instead of sweat flies) because they are cute and colored like little bees.
avatar
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1146
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Fiz on 7/3/2017, 8:21 pm

Nice pic Beetles! You've either got great photography skills, an awesome camera, or both, lol!
avatar
Fiz

Male Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-05-09
Age : 37
Location : Markham, ON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Scorpio Rising on 7/3/2017, 9:17 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Fiz wrote:

Ode to the Hover Fly

Oh, little hover fly, zipping to and fro,
you move about like a helicopter,
always on the go.

Oh, little hover fly, looking for a pest,
you are my new favorite beneficial,
I like you the very best.

Oh, little hover fly, graceful as can be,
I hope you fly on back again 
and come to visit me.

OMG...that's adorable!!!  
way to go
CC
I love it!!!!!  Are these what we called sweat bees growing up?
There are actual bees called sweat bees: http://bugguide.net/node/view/128/bgpage
But hover flies also get called sweat bees (instead of sweat flies) because they are cute and colored like little bees.
I think these that I am thinking of and are still around are really cute little bees....but I see the difference now!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5129
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ode to the Hover Fly

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum