Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» TrolleyDriver's Compost Thermometer
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:11 pm

» Monarch Supporter
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:04 pm

» Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!
by brianj555 Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Total lunar / solar eclipse
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in August 2017? 2017
by Mimi2 Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» New England August 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:12 pm

» What to do with fallen unripe tomatoes?
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Do you fertilize? If so, what do you use?
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Plumeria ?
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Time flies when you are having fun
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 8:23 pm

» Eggplant - (Japanese) Millionaire
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:17 pm

» Experiment - Amended Soil and MM
by Turan Yesterday at 4:41 pm

» Aug 2017 lower south - better late than never
by brianj555 Yesterday at 4:19 pm

» Sweet Potato "Toast" -- MIND BLOWN!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:56 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:46 pm

» Beets; Don't be intimidated!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 10:25 am

» Caterpillar - Good or Bad?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:15 am

» 2017 corn pictures
by Fiz Yesterday at 7:51 am

» Avocado toast with garden tomato
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:13 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:01 am

» AUGUST 23, 2017, 6:00 PM EASTERN -- LIVE STREAM
by sfg4uKim 8/22/2017, 9:38 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 8/22/2017, 7:22 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by CapeCoddess 8/22/2017, 4:42 pm

» Newbie Oldbie
by dixie 8/22/2017, 10:47 am

» Anyone growing fall peas in zone 7 TN
by dixie 8/22/2017, 9:50 am

» Cutting back on my SFG about 75%
by Kelejan 8/22/2017, 12:35 am

» N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017
by Scorpio Rising 8/21/2017, 9:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: N & C Midwest: August is here!!! 2017

Post  countrynaturals on 8/12/2017, 12:54 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:IMO, chard and kale are two different animals. Chard  is more like spinach and kale is more like cabbage. You can use Kale for anything, SR...coleslaw, sauerkraut, stir-fries, smoothies, etc. I pick mine when they are young if I'm going to eat them raw. They are more tender. Also, IMO, Fall grown greens are superior to Summer grown greens, and kale gets sweeter when touched by frost. What variety are you growing? I like Dwarf Blue Curled.
Chard and kale are definitely 2 different animals. Even the rabbit won't eat Chard. I just pulled mine up and composted it yesterday. (The chickens won't touch it, either.) Razz

Kale, otoh, is awesome! I grow Dwarf Blue Curled exclusively. It never bolts. It's never bitter. It lives and produces for a whole year, no matter what the weather does. Here is one of my year-old "trees." It's almost 2' tall. The 2nd pic is a top-down shot so you can see how healthy it is, even after multiple record-breaking heatwaves.

Next week I'll plant my kale seeds for the next year and gradually replace the old guys. 

We don't eat raw kale, but we love it steamed with hard-boiled eggs cut up in it, and we chop it up in all of our homemade veggie soups. The rabbit loves it. I will definitely plant more this year.
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2398

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/12/2017, 4:19 pm

I have 2 plants out there right now that I haven't been watering and they won't die!  They are huge!  It is Dwarf Blue Vates, looks exactly like that.  

I do think it's tough,but I have not picked it at all.  Wahhhhhhhh, I know I should like it!  I love cabbage!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5129

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 on 8/12/2017, 8:14 pm

Harvest today! More carrots, cherry tomatoes, and a bowl full of kale! Planning on making kale chips tomorrow.

Robbomb116

Male Posts : 322

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/13/2017, 11:16 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
I do think it's tough,but I have not picked it at all.  Wahhhhhhhh, I know I should like it!  I love cabbage!
We like it better than cabbage cooked, but we like cabbage better for slaw. I'll be trying to grow cabbage this year for the first time. Wish me luck. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2398

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/13/2017, 1:45 pm

@Robbomb116 wrote:Harvest today! More carrots,  cherry tomatoes,  and a bowl full of kale!  Planning on making kale chips tomorrow.

Beautiful harvest, Rob! What variety of tomatoes are those? And what variety of carrots?
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 on 8/13/2017, 3:10 pm

Well, the tomatoes were supposed to be sunsugar, but sunsugar is orange, these are clearly red. So the greenhouse mislabeled them. The two types of carrots I planted were mokum and purplesnax. None of my carrots were purple though... and I mow just recently got a letter from Burpee saying it's come to their attention that there was a mistake and no one received purplesnax carrots this batch of seeds. They did not state which variety I actually got though. But Burpee is making it up to me by giving me a free packet of purplesnax for next spring and $10 off my next purchase.

The carrots were a mix of the unknown variety and mokum. The mokum are thinner, described as "pencil carrots" but sweeter than my mystery variety. I chose mokum for 2 reasons initially, first they were pretty early, and second, they said they maintain their sweetness even in heat. And even with our 100 degree plus days, these carrots are so much sweeter than the store bough baby carrots. And they haven't e an been sweetened by frost yet!

That got a bit long winded, but I got a chuckle when you asked the varieties of the carrots and tomatoes as your guess is as good as mine.

The kale is a mix of dwarf blue vates and premier. Both varieties I basically postponed picking cause I didn't know what to do with it/ wasn't feeling it. I planted the dwarf blue, really intensively @5 per square planning on picking 4 early for salads. Never happened. So i think thats why the leavws are sp micb smaller than the premiere. Those ones are ad big as my head! Definitely tougher when they are that big, but works fine for soups and kale chips!
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 322

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/13/2017, 6:14 pm

Hmmm...kale chips.  Maybe!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover on 8/15/2017, 9:06 am

SR, yes I freeze my jalapenos whole.  Just throw them in a freezer bag and pull out as needed.  You lose some texture, but in a cooked dish it makes no difference, and even in raw dishes in a small amount its not noticeable.  Kale, love love love it!  I am picking huge quantities of it; we mostly eat it raw but I will freeze some for soup this winter.  Chard has been a bust due to Bambi and her evil friends.  They love the stuff!
herblover

Female Posts : 577

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/15/2017, 7:22 pm

@herblover wrote:SR, yes I freeze my jalapenos whole.  Just throw them in a freezer bag and pull out as needed.  You lose some texture, but in a cooked dish it makes no difference, and even in raw dishes in a small amount its not noticeable.  Kale, love love love it!  I am picking huge quantities of it; we mostly eat it raw but I will freeze some for soup this winter.  Chard has been a bust due to Bambi and her evil friends.  They love the stuff!
Yeah, I use it mostly cooked in chili, etc.  I am going to do that.  Mine are HOTHOT HOT!!!  

Kale.  I will try it again and again....thought moving it to the patio would help.  Yah, no.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/16/2017, 9:58 pm

Significant powdery mildew on a few of the melons...will spray with milk tomorrow, hopefully after we get some rain.  Did I just say that?  If we don't, I have significant watering to do.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/21/2017, 9:17 pm

OK, did significant watering.....hopefully everything survived my little eclipse trip!  Pulled all carrots, a lot of tomatoes, peppers to take down with us, and 2 patty pans.  Has been hot in my area.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum