Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by brianj555 Today at 7:49 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 5:59 pm

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals Today at 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal Today at 10:12 am

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt Today at 9:17 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by brianj555 Today at 8:30 am

» My new compost heap
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:49 pm

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by brianj555 Yesterday at 9:44 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:01 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:17 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by No_Such_Reality Yesterday at 9:42 am

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by yolos 11/14/2017, 8:48 pm

» Tomato Questions
by Scorpio Rising 11/14/2017, 8:26 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

» who has chickens
by AtlantaMarie 11/12/2017, 10:40 am

» Huge Box of Seeds from 2003!
by countrynaturals 11/11/2017, 10:17 pm

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 6:38 pm

» Veterans Day 2017 - SALUTE!
by Scorpio Rising 11/11/2017, 6:22 pm

» Comfrey
by sanderson 11/11/2017, 5:17 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #4 - ENDS 11/10/17
by sanderson 11/11/2017, 5:00 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 11/11/2017, 4:10 pm

» Cutting Down a Tree
by trolleydriver 11/11/2017, 2:27 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England August 2017

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New England August 2017

Post  bigdogrock on 8/20/2017, 12:16 pm

@bigdogrock wrote:I took today for me to play. Don't know about you, but harvesting all my garlic scapes is fun. Thought about this earlier in the year, so I found a recipe for Garlic Scape Pesto, I used to make it all the time but lost the recipe, this is close as I remember.

I have a few different types of cucs.

EVERYTHING is late this year! My beans have just started, I counted three that are about three inches ling. In less than a week I will break out the canning equipment for them!

I put the orange original fidget spinner in to show size. It had dual uses when I was kid, to measure and meditate, without ball bearings;) CC has one in her picture of the beets, it is made of wood, and it must be defective, it has no hole for the pencil Very Happy .
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/20/2017, 12:28 pm

As soon as I read that my mine had no hole in it I went back and looked at it and sure enough there's no hole in it. I remember putting them on the end of the pencil and spinng them around with my thumb. Is that what you did too? Now I just put a paper clip on the end of a pencil and spin it around. Long before fidget things came out. I can't imagine paying for those crazy things.

Rock, are those scapes from your spring-planted garlic? It'll be in interesting to see how large the bulbs are when they are ready, which I'm guessing could be around Halloween / planting time.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 8/20/2017, 12:36 pm

CC, you are a wonderful person! Those types of elaborations make this site so great. happy hi
bigdogrock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 8/20/2017, 12:38 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:I've never seen a groundhog. Although I wouldn't know what it look like if I fell over it. But I've never seen anything that I think could be a groundhog around here so I'm thinking we don't have them. I'm trying to think that it's not people that took my pears. It's hard though when there are no remnants anywhere.

I picked some beet greens for dinner tonight.  This beet crop this year is not the most successful that I've ever had.
I've seen more than one person exclaim "Look! A beaver!" upon seeing their first groundhog.
Raccoons and deer also like pears. Squirrels gnaw pears, too, but they don't wait until they are ripe and they leave a big mess ...they're just rude. I wouldn't assume the other animals would leave a mess; people skip the core, but if not interrupted, and it's tasty enough, animals eat the whole thing! I'm sorry you lost so many promising pears. Plus basement flooding? Not fair. Can you put onion mesh bags over the remaining two pears, and twist tie them in place?

I usually have a scraggly beet or two in my 9/sq, but it looks like you have several. I wish I know what causes that.
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1278

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/20/2017, 12:45 pm

@quiltbea wrote:
I made steak pizzaiola for supper today.  I love steak made that way, cooked in sauce.

It went well with spaghetti.  
Putting roasted tomatoes in my sauce gave it that added punch I like.
QB, can you post your recipe in the main dish section?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14934

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/21/2017, 12:13 pm

I want the recipe, too! Mm mm m!

New Veg Notes is out. Good write up on squash harvest, cure and store:
http://ag.umass.edu/sites/ag.umass.edu/files/newsletters/august_17_2017_vegetable_notes.pdf

A lot of the seeds I sowed last Friday before the storm have sprouted. BUT, while I was heading out to place the paper-clipped-in-proper-order markers next to each section, I dropped the markers and they got mixed up. No Soooo....it's a surprise box now. Razz I can guess what's sprouted so early but as for the rest...oh well.
idk

CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ColleenW on 8/21/2017, 8:34 pm

Oh no, CapeCoddess! Sounds like something I would do!  rofl And BeetlesPerSqFt, I feel your pain. I'm so tempted to get a camera for at night.

How late is too late to sow lettuce, spinach, and radishes in New England (I'm south of Boston near the coast)? I had sown seeds two weeks ago but my mystery critter finally decided to dig under my garden fence and he/she/it dug up most of my recently sprouted seeds.  Shocked So this weekend, I put up a second, taller fence inside of my first fence. I want to wait about a week before I declare my garden critter-proof. Is Labor Day Weekend too late to sow the seeds here?

IMO it's a more secure setup. Second fence staked to metal posts. The shorter fence is dug 5" and the taller fence is dug 7" into the ground and I've attached the fences together. I've nailed some of the fence wire to the raised garden box. And yes, I even wedged pepper stakes in between the bed wall and the fence where the gap was a big too big because retro-fitting the second fence was causing some issues. I'm losing space in my bed (as well as losing my mind)! But I guess this is better than no defense. On this side of the garden, the only thing the critter left me was most of my cucumber plant and some carrot and spinach sprouts. 

ColleenW

Female Posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/21/2017, 9:03 pm

I would go ahead and sow some...all you have to lose is some seeds!
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5457

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal on 8/22/2017, 8:03 am

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Groundhogs climb trees (yes, it's a little scary to look up a see a groundhog overhead, particularly when you imagine for a moment, said groundhog falling out of the tree onto you.) Groundhogs like fruit. Do you have groundhogs?

OMG Beetles, I forgot all about that. I used to have a family of groundhogs in my yard, and one day I watched as one of the young ones shinnied up a young sapling, up about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, looked around for a bit, then shinnied back down. I watched with my mouth open, never imagining that a groundhog could climb a tree! I can't imagine seeing one overhead on a branch...those suckers get BIG! Here is a pic of one in my back yard, for any of you who may have never seen one. This is mamma or poppa on lookout while the baby eats.
hammock gal

Female Posts : 265

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/22/2017, 11:38 am

Shocked  Look at the giant rodent just standing there.  I was told yesterday that yes, we have them here.   Mad

Colleen, I agree with SR, plant now. We who are near the coast have a bit of an extended season compared to those who are inland.  Plus your set up looks ripe for a plastic cover once the cold weather hits.  It would be like a mini green house.  I've taken my harvests into beginning by Feb doing this.  Right now I have a screen door over mine or the squirrels & birds will eat them.  Just added a few more lettuce starts this morning since it's cloudy now and suppose to rain tonight.

CC
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/22/2017, 8:28 pm

@hammock gal wrote:
@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Groundhogs climb trees (yes, it's a little scary to look up a see a groundhog overhead, particularly when you imagine for a moment, said groundhog falling out of the tree onto you.) Groundhogs like fruit. Do you have groundhogs?

OMG Beetles, I forgot all about that. I used to have a family of groundhogs in my yard, and one day I watched as one of the young ones shinnied up a young sapling, up about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, looked around for a bit, then shinnied back down. I watched with my mouth open, never imagining that a groundhog could climb a tree! I can't imagine seeing one overhead on a branch...those suckers get BIG! Here is a pic of one in my back yard, for any of you who may have never seen one. This is mamma or poppa on lookout while the baby eats.
Oh yeah, they get really big!  I had no idea they could climb a tree??????  Ewwww, (((((((shudder)))))
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/23/2017, 9:12 pm

Cute photo!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14934

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/24/2017, 10:39 am

Todays harvest - baby collards, cherry tomatoes, delicata, basil and peaches:

Looks like we're into a 10 day stretch of FINE weather - clear, 70s day, 50s night.  Not sure the summer veggies will thrive but *I* sure will!
What a Face

We're getting our front porch repaired and here's what it looks like mid-repair:
Eeek!  Fortunately I had removed all my potted plants and seedling 6-packs right before the workmen arrived.
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/24/2017, 8:26 pm

Oh kid, nice haul!  My delicatas both died.  One as an infant, the other of an unknown thing in the box....grrrr
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/25/2017, 9:26 am

CC I am jealous of those peaches. When we lived in the Niagara Peninsula we had access to locally grown peaches, including a peach tree in our neighbour's backyard. They were delicious. Up here in Ottawa the peaches are imported and just do not taste the same. Back in Niagara we had our own apricot tree that gave us some good fruit but there is nothing like a freshly picked peach. As a teen I worked on local farms in the summer and helped the farmers pick their peaches, cherries, plums and other fruit. Unfortunately many farms are disappearing and great expanses of the beautiful soil are being paved over in that excellent farming microclimate in and around St.Catharines, Onatrio.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3857

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/25/2017, 4:52 pm

@trolleydriver wrote: As a teen I worked on local farms in the summer and helped the farmers pick their peaches, cherries, plums and other fruit. Unfortunately many farms are disappearing and great expanses of the beautiful soil are being paved over in that excellent farming microclimate in and around St.Catharines, Onatrio.
Sad

TD, maybe you can grow a peach tree. It's called an Elberta semi-dwarf, is the best tasting peach I've ever put in my mouth and grows in Hardiness Zones 5–9. I live in zone 7. What's your zone?
CapeCoddess

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/25/2017, 4:59 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:TD, maybe you can grow a peach tree.  It's called an Elberta semi-dwarf, is the best tasting peach I've ever put in my mouth and grows in Hardiness Zones 5–9.  I live in zone 7.  What's your zone?
I think we are on the border between Canadian hardiness zones 5a and 5b.  Agriculture Canada uses a different model for hardiness zones than the one used by the USDA. From what I can gather, our zone 5 is near to your zone 4. So I am probably out of luck on growing peaches.

On another website someone posted this ... ". for Ottawa where I live, I'm 5a on the Canadian zone map but 4b on the US."

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea on 8/28/2017, 3:33 pm

I am in Maine, zone 5. I have a Red Haven dwarf tree that gives the best-tasting fruit I've ever tasted. Last year it was regrouping after a bad winter that tore off a few limbs, so no fruit at all. This year its bountiful. All the branches are drooping with fruit. Love the Red Haven. It gave me fruit in it 2nd year.
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4693

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/28/2017, 4:10 pm

One article for my area says this:

"Peaches are not hardy for us in Ottawa, unless you are the ingenious owners of Connaught Nursery in Cobden. Dorothy and Grant Dobson have been growing peaches in their huge greenhouse for several years now. They harvest the ripe peaches after bumble bees have done the work of pollination and sell them on Saturdays at the Carp Farmers Market. This is the only opportunity you will have to eat tree-ripened peaches in Ottawa."

Ottawa, Canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/29/2017, 8:22 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:One article for my area says this:

"Peaches are not hardy for us in Ottawa, unless you are the ingenious owners of Connaught Nursery in Cobden. Dorothy and Grant Dobson have been growing peaches in their huge greenhouse for several years now. They harvest the ripe peaches after bumble bees have done the work of pollination and sell them on Saturdays at the Carp Farmers Market. This is the only opportunity you will have to eat tree-ripened peaches in Ottawa."
Interesting.  I agree, I think the most cold tolerant peach trees are Zone 4 (USDA).  Elberta, Contender, Reliance....those might but I bet it is very dependent on the local weather.
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock on 8/29/2017, 9:31 pm

Hey CC, you are right. I still have a bunch of time left to let the garlic grow, the ones I have pulled are small, but tasty! I am going to let them go as long as I can. We'll see if they get bigger.
bigdogrock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum