Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by CapeCoddess Today at 2:29 pm

» Caterpillar - Good or Bad?
by trolleydriver Today at 1:23 pm

» Powdery Mildew and SoCal Fall Planting
by trolleydriver Today at 12:46 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Today at 10:50 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 10:06 am

» My SFG Journey:Returning to the Original Square Foot Garden Method
by has55 Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» N&C Midwest - September 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» Bug/Pest Identification....Help!
by brianj555 Yesterday at 6:43 pm

» Mushroom in my lettuce!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» What is this? Plant identification?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 5:48 pm

» New England September 2017
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:35 pm

» Today's Harvest
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:32 pm

» Roasted butternut squash soup
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:06 pm

» What I learned this year
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:02 pm

» Flavor bomb cubes for veggies and...
by hammock gal Yesterday at 12:35 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by CapeCoddess Yesterday at 10:55 am

» Frankensquash
by trolleydriver 9/24/2017, 10:20 pm

» Compost Heaps
by brianj555 9/24/2017, 5:09 pm

» Fall Garden?
by sanderson 9/24/2017, 4:46 pm

» Cucumber Plants on the Ground! :-(
by brianj555 9/24/2017, 4:40 pm

» Hello from NE OHIO
by Scorpio Rising 9/24/2017, 3:19 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by hammock gal 9/24/2017, 8:59 am

» Happy Autumn Equinox
by brianj555 9/23/2017, 11:24 am

» Amaranth
by AtlantaMarie 9/23/2017, 8:44 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 7:25 am

» Spotted Lanternfly: invasive pest "new" to the US
by sanderson 9/21/2017, 1:41 pm

» First red kidney bean harvest....now what?
by AtlantaMarie 9/21/2017, 6:28 am

» question about Garlic and winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/20/2017, 6:38 pm

» Ginger
by has55 9/20/2017, 2:38 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Time flies when you are having fun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Time flies when you are having fun

Post  dixie on 8/22/2017, 12:57 pm

I just checked my profile and I have been on the SFG 7 years!  I've learned a lot, mostly from the forum, and made a lot of changes.  I was really gung ho & wanted MORE.  So instead of 4 x 4 boxes, I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.

Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's. 

For me, advantages of 1 x 6 are many:

Tomatoes:  The 1 x 6's allow plenty of air circulation for the tomatoes.  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation.  They are also used for carrots, beets or whatever I need to move to a new spot for the year.  Below, the tomato supports are in front, Tromboncino squash with cattle panel support in the back.

Bush Beans:  It's too humid for beans spaced closer than 2 rows at the outer edges of the bed, 6 per square.  Otherwise, once they get ready to bear, the leaves have already started to mold & rot in the center & by the second & third picking the beans have started to rot.

3 x 6's are for bush squash, turnips, cabbage, onions & leeks.  I also use them for seed beds.

We bought a roll of cattle panel fencing & formed it to fit inside the boxes to keep the cats out when plants are small.  The cattle panel is sturdy enough to keep its shape & remove for storage.  It works to keep out rabbits & turtles too.

One year we bought porch screening to cover the cages for cabbage, but the screen was too dense & didn't let in enough light.  It didn't go to waste, now I have a screened porch on my Pink Paradise studio.
dixie

Female Posts : 781

View user profile http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Time flies when you are having fun

Post  trolleydriver on 8/22/2017, 2:05 pm

dixie wrote:I just checked my profile and I have been on the SFG 7 years!  I've learned a lot, mostly from the forum, and made a lot of changes.  I was really gung ho & wanted MORE.  So instead of 4 x 4 boxes, I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.

Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's. 

For me, advantages of 1 x 6 are many:

Tomatoes:  The 1 x 6's allow plenty of air circulation for the tomatoes.  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation.  They are also used for carrots, beets or whatever I need to move to a new spot for the year.  Below, the tomato supports are in front, Tromboncino squash with cattle panel support in the back.

Bush Beans:  It's too humid for beans spaced closer than 2 rows at the outer edges of the bed, 6 per square.  Otherwise, once they get ready to bear, the leaves have already started to mold & rot in the center & by the second & third picking the beans have started to rot.

3 x 6's are for bush squash, turnips, cabbage, onions & leeks.  I also use them for seed beds.

We bought a roll of cattle panel fencing & formed it to fit inside the boxes to keep the cats out when plants are small.  The cattle panel is sturdy enough to keep its shape & remove for storage.  It works to keep out rabbits & turtles too.

One year we bought porch screening to cover the cages for cabbage, but the screen was too dense & didn't let in enough light.  It didn't go to waste, now I have a screened porch on my Pink Paradise studio.
Excellent Dixie.  Thanks for sharing.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3693

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/23/2017, 8:42 pm

dixie wrote:. .  I had 4 x 12 or 16, whatever length lumber comes in.  There was no way to reach the middle plantings, so I essentially wasted that first season.  Hubby cut those into 3 x 6's, which worked much better.  . . Since I grow a lot of tomatoes and I live in a hot humid area and prefer heirlooms which are not bred for blight resistance, I now have 16 1 x 6's and 3 3 x 6's.
. . .  I have a hose clamp centered at the ends of each box for PVC pipe.  I have PVC frames for the tomatoes and taller frames for squash and cukes.  With the hose clamps, they are movable for crop rotation. . . 
I totally agree that skinny beds are so much easier.  Most of mine are 2'.  The hose clamp is brilliant!!!!!!!  I have been using plumber's tape for the few boxes without interior corner "cup holders" for the 1/2" PVC trellises, but the hose clamps would work even better.  Thank you for the great idea.  Do you simply screw the back of it to the box?  A close up photo of an empty one would be great.  Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14611

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie on 8/24/2017, 10:56 am

Sanderson, here is a close up.  We got the clamps at lowes in either the electrical or plumbing section.  Just get the size that fits your pipe.  They are screwed to the outside of the box.  Use 2 clamps for stability.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VALVE-4-Pack-to-1-1-2-in-dia-Galvanized-2-Hole-Pipe-Strap/3223553

Save

Last edited by dixie on 8/24/2017, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/25/2017, 1:40 am

Thank for the photos, Dixie.  I use those on for out-of-the-box trellises.

For most of the beds, I made "cup holders" from 1" PVC, secured with plumber's tape.

You said hose clamp at first and I thought they would be great.  Just loosen the screw and slip out the EMT.  This is what I thought you meant.  Razz  https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8560674/00668

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14611

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie on 8/25/2017, 9:58 am

Yeah, I realized I used the wrong term.  Sorry for the confusion.
dixie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum