Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by countrynaturals Today at 14:05

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Today at 12:44

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by yolos Today at 12:19

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by trolleydriver Today at 12:17

» New England Nov 2017
by CapeCoddess Today at 10:15

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 9:33

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:55

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Today at 5:20

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 17:13

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 8:55

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 6:38

» First Frost!
by brianj555 Mon 20 Nov 2017 - 12:27

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt Mon 20 Nov 2017 - 8:29

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt Mon 20 Nov 2017 - 5:56

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Sun 19 Nov 2017 - 10:16

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt Sun 19 Nov 2017 - 8:14

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 Sun 19 Nov 2017 - 8:07

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 16:34

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 13:12

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 10:45

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver Sat 18 Nov 2017 - 6:26

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals Fri 17 Nov 2017 - 14:51

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Fri 17 Nov 2017 - 10:59

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal Fri 17 Nov 2017 - 7:12

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson Thu 16 Nov 2017 - 19:33

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising Thu 16 Nov 2017 - 16:04

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson Thu 16 Nov 2017 - 13:17

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan Wed 15 Nov 2017 - 13:59

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan Wed 15 Nov 2017 - 13:41

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson Wed 15 Nov 2017 - 1:12

Google

Search SFG Forum

Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!

Post  brianj555 on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 15:28

I recently made to square foot Raised garden boxes.  Both are 4 x 10 x 12".  I only planted in one and am home composting the other for next march.  I'm in zone 9.  I have Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers , carrots, romaine lettuce, green onions, snap bush beans, mustard, and collards planted.  Everything but the jalapeño and bell peppers seem to be growing very well.  Those two just don't seem to be getting any size to them, but they do have some blooms.  I direct sowed the cucumbers and they are huge, dwarfing everything in the box but the tomatoes. The cucumbers are about 4 feet tall and the tomatoes are anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4 feet tall.  I planted both celebrity and heatwave tomatoes. They are both determinate , I didn't realize that at first , but I transplanted them so late ( about a month ago) that they will produce and then it will be getting near the time to frost.  I filled the box with a variation of Mel's mix. 25% vermiculite, 25 % pete, and 50% compost (chicken, cotton burr, mushroom and cow)

My question is. ...  now that the plants are getting larger, what is the best way to tell when and how much I need to water them??  Are there any tricks to determine this other than buying a meter?  Is there a method for telling by feel?  I would appreciate any suggestions, tips or tricks you are willing to share.
brianj555

Male Posts : 318

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please Share Your Knowledge with a Newbie!

Post  Scorpio Rising on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 16:12

First off, welcome to the forum, brianj555!  

Has it rained where you are?  Have you gardened in the ground before?  

Here, MM needs less water than containers but more watering than Earth.  Not really helpful....it tends to always feel dry to me.
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5463

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  brianj555 on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 16:30

Thank you for welcoming me and responding. Yes.   It always feels sort of dry to me too.  If I reach down about three inches and pull up a little dirt, it does feel somewhat damp.  But that's kind of a reach.  It has been raining too much here, zone 9, but it gets sooooo hot between showers I feel like it's getting dried up.  The Bell Peppers look they they are getting too much water and the jalapeños as well. The sweet Banana , Tomato and cucumbers look great.  I'm just trying to find a good solid dependable way to know when I need to add water and how to know when I have added enough.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 17:00

brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 17:18

Bell Peppers pictured above.  Below Tomato and cucumber .
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 18:03

I believe your plants are telling you "well done, brianj555, keep up the good work!!!"

If no wilting, I would let it ride!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 19:00

Brian,  The only way I test the moisture is to stick my finger in half way (3").  If it's wet at 3" mark, it's good.  I'm in Zone 9 also but we do not get summer rain so I water daily.  Also, I have a layer of chopped straw mulch on top to slow surface evaporation.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum from California!  glad you\'re here Can you add your State to your location?  As a Mod, I know which State you live in but it will really help folks assist you if they understand your climate.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Wed 23 Aug 2017 - 19:26

The Thank you!  Yes I will add my state.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on Thu 24 Aug 2017 - 22:27

glad you\'re here brianj555  happy hi  
from Kelejan in  :canada:British Columbia

I think you photos look good.  In time you will feel more confident about watering.  I think one should water deeply but not every day as you want the roots of your plants to seek the damp down below and build good roots then they can survive a few days in case you cannot water them.  Also, use the Search Box in the top left-hand corner of this page and put in the word MULCH and you will gt a lot of extra information.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4998

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Fri 25 Aug 2017 - 16:51

I just tried something that I think might work.  I filled a 16 oz plastic water bottle with rain water.  I poked a hole in the lid.  Then I turned it upside down and stuck the top about 2 1/2 inches down in the dirt.  I'm thinking if the MM needs to be watered all of the water will trickle out.  If not it will stay in there?  I did it about an hour ago and only about 1 " of the water has come out.  What do you guys think ?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Fri 25 Aug 2017 - 17:47

OK, not sure about the bottle thing.  Holeonly in the upside down lid?  No hole in the "top" old bottom of the bottle?  If not, physics dictates that no more water will be able to come out of the bottle.  Just formed a vacuum at the top of the bottle preventing any further water flow.  

Drill a super tiny hole in the old bottom of the bottle to allow trickle flow!  Keep us posted! 

I seriously need to water.......
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Fri 25 Aug 2017 - 18:41

What you say does make sense.  I will try that.  I will say that the water will eventually  drain out the way it is now though , but maybe not trickling, which is what I want it to do to determine if the soil is dry or moist.  I know it will drain in time because I didn't make theses bottles like this initially for this purpose.  I made them to slowly deliver miracle grow initially .  I only did it once and stopped using any fertilizer after reading on here that it can be bad for the MM.  it took the liquid about a day to drain out with the miracle grow in it.  I don't think the soil needed watering then either.  What I will do is keep trying it both ways.  One with a hole in the bottom and one not.  Kind of test to see if they drain quicker after going a couple days without watering and then try right after I water to see if there is a difference.  I will be careful though not to jeopardize the health of my plants with this experiment.  That would most def be counterproductive.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Fri 25 Aug 2017 - 20:29

Just keep detailed notes....really important.  Write it down!  I do a "plan" and what actually happened thing...

Can't wait to hear!
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 7:09

Brian, There are watering stakes meant to be used with plastic bottles. The water drains out the tiny holes in the stake. I had to tinker to get the seals between the stakes and bottles tight. You have a few more hours with your experiment. How is it going?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14946

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 7:24

You can purchase very cheap  moisture indicator probes off eBay or Amazon for a couple of dollars .

A quick test that you'll pick up on after a few years of doing ANSFG .

Usually if you can get a handful of your MM and squeeze it hard if water drips out it's too wet & if it does not stay slightly balled it will be too dry .

After a while you'll also find it easy to look at the leaves of the various crops  & know that it they are not pert and fresh looking  in their best colours there is a problem but by this time the dry soil has already started to hurt your plants  a little

Consistently getting the right level of  moisture when the plant needs it is considered by some/many to be  quite an art . Lots of folk give up when they fail to learn it  .
plantoid

Male Posts : 3749

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 8:03

sanderson wrote:Brian,  There are watering stakes meant to be used with plastic bottles.  The water drains out the tiny holes in the stake.  I had to tinker to get the seals between the stakes and bottles tight.  You have a few more hours with your experiment.  How is it going?
The bottle in the pic above has drained out about another inch, after about 18 hours.  So that's two inches total.  It still does not have a hole in the top, and I am about to try one like that now.  I will say though that my MM is still most though throughout. When I squeeze the MM it didn't drop water but it does stay in a ball.  I have spent all morning making my first compost pile.  There is a pic on my compost heap thread.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 9:49

Ok. Even though the MM will make a ball at 3" deep, the bottle (with a pinhole at the top and in the lid) emptied inside an hour.  I was hoping that it wouldn't empty until the MM was dry.  The one without the pinhole at the top, still has water in it. It is dripping very very slowly as it is still over half full after 20 hours, but I don't know if the moisture in the soil has anything to do with how fast or not it drips.  I will keep playing around with it.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 17:48

Brian, I admire you for doing this experiment; this will really get into your mind and stay there. I liked the way you did it off your own bat and without reading about it first.

I like experiments.  I took part once in a two-worm reproduction experiment as to how many worms could be produced in X-time.  I think I got about 75 worms in four months.
Kelejan

Female Posts : 4998

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 19:06

Thanks.  Speaking of worms, I think I need to get some and try that tube.  That looks cool.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on Sat 26 Aug 2017 - 19:58

Interesting about the bottle waterers....
Scorpio Rising

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 4:28

Hi Brian. Marie here. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! Somehow I missed seeing your 1st posts....

Interesting experiment. I'm like Kelejan - practical experimenting like what y'all have done.
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4335

View user profile http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 7:43

Hello Marie.  Thanks for the welcome.  It looks like the experiment with the bottle having a hole in the top and the bottom didn't work. I watered the garden pretty thoroughly this morning and waited about an hour, then placed the bottle in the mix.  It drained pretty quickly.  The mix was moist at the depth that the lid was at.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a different type of lid.  The bottles with only a hole in the lid , do drain, but do so slowly.  I'm not sure whether the level of moisture in the mix actually has any impact on when or how much drains out.
I think they would be too expensive to justify their actual worth, but I wonder if a water bottle like for a hamster would work?  Like that kind of tip???
I will say that one thing I have found that I like about the bottle is it waters deep. The water dripping out doesn't touch the soil until 3" deep.  I think that's a good thing.  I'm watering the roots and not the surface. I think
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on Sun 27 Aug 2017 - 12:30

Ollas work in this frame of only letting water out in response to water saturation levels in the soil around the pot. Here is an article about them https://permaculturenews.org/2010/09/16/ollas-unglazed-clay-pots-for-garden-irrigation/
Some where on line there are instructions to making your own using clay flower pots.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan

Female Posts : 2312

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum