Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» California's Drought
by countrynaturals Today at 2:21 pm

» Newbie from Ayrshire, West Coast of Scotland
by sanderson Today at 1:57 pm

» Today's Harvest
by countrynaturals Today at 11:58 am

» Biochar?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:54 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by countrynaturals Today at 11:34 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 11:31 am

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:27 am

» My Compost Bin
by SQWIB Today at 7:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 3:38 am

» A great offer for a local SFG,er
by sanderson Today at 3:07 am

» Hello from Gilbert, AZ
by LizDTM Today at 12:21 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2017!
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 11:42 pm

» How to Grow Better Tomatoes
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» Carrot Week 2017!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:54 pm

» Helpful Beetles
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» Does MM improve with age?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:41 pm

» to mulch or not to mulch
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Gardening in Central Pennsylvania, 3rd year SFG
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Garlic Growing Lovers
by SQWIB Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit REGISTER NOW!
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:23 am

» How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 10:20 am

» Thumbs Up????
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:03 am

» More Bad News for Bugs
by SQWIB Yesterday at 9:57 am

» What weed? is this? (with pic)
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:57 am

» Senseless Banter...
by Scorpio Rising 10/18/2017, 8:26 pm

» Lower south Oct 2017
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 5:02 pm

» Sowing Experiment! Anyone Tried This?
by brianj555 10/17/2017, 4:50 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY - ENDS 10/20/17
by CapeCoddess 10/17/2017, 3:48 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

Post  brianj555 on 8/30/2017, 10:31 am

What type of indeterminate heirloom tomato seeds should I order to plant in zone 9 (Gulf Coast Region) for next year? I have checked google, but I am still looking for suggestions from you guy's on what varieties, that fall in the above category, that have proven to do well in my area. I would like to plant a variety of size, shapes, colors and textures for multiple purposes. I will have about 80 square foot sections to plant in and will most likely dedicate a minimum of 20 spots for tomatoes. I'm assuming that 20 spots will be ok to hold 20 plants.???? I would also like your opinions on that, as well as any other suggestions you may have in regard to sowing, planting and caring for indeterminate heirloom varieties. This year, I didn't have my box ready until late July and didn't really know the difference between determinate and indeterminate or the difference between heirloom and hybrid when I planted. As a result, I ended up with "celebrity" (6) and "heatwave" (6) seedlings that I planted on 7/25. Although, they are doing well and I'm thinking it really wasn't a bad thing to plant determinates this time since I planted so late. I am planning to either go to the library and check out or to order a copy of mel's book soon, but I really do enjoy hearing from all of you in addition.
brianj555

Male Posts : 236

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions for Indeterminate Heirloom Tomato Seeds to Plant in Zone 9!

Post  trolleydriver on 8/30/2017, 10:57 am

Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

BTW this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes, in particular True Black Brandywine from Baker Creek. I am in a much shorter summer season and much cooler climate than where you are located. We have not had a great summer which has held a lot of things back. The jury is still out on whether or not those TBB heirloom tomatoes were a success.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/30/2017, 12:09 pm

I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2678

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 8/30/2017, 12:19 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

BTW this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes, in particular True Black Brandywine from Baker Creek. I am in a much shorter summer season and much cooler climate than where you are located. We have not had a great summer which has held a lot of things back. The jury is still out on whether or not those TBB heirloom tomatoes were a success.

I will get the book. I will read the book. Does it discuss what heirloom varieties are good to plant in the zone 9 gulf coast region?
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 8/30/2017, 12:34 pm

brianj555 wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:Brian, I really encourage you to get Mel's All New Square Foot Gardening book and read it cover to cover. That book puts down a solid foundation on which to build. You can then use other sources such as the great folk and archives on this forum to help you to put the bricks on top of the foundation. This is my third year of SFG and I have read the ANSFG book at least once each year.

I will get the book.  I will read the book.  Does it discuss what heirloom varieties are good to plant in the zone 9 gulf coast region?
As I said, the book provides a solid foundation on which to build. It can be used by anyone anywhere who is using the new style of SFG. It would not be possible for the book to address a specific type of a specific vegetable in one of the many, many hardiness zones throughout the world. You are asking the right questions on this forum for your specific area and veggies.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/30/2017, 3:41 pm

Brian, That's great that you will be reading the book. Very Happy

It's been over 100*F for a record number of days this summer. After 4 summers of frustration, I changed varieties. Black Vernissage just keeps producing. They are small, larger than cherries, Barely big enough to slice, but they are prolific. I pick them when they are red and green and just barely soft.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14779

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue on 8/30/2017, 3:54 pm

Brian, it might be helpful for you to check out some of the websites which sell heirloom tomato seeds.  Many of these sites have collections available for specific regions or climates.  One such collection can be found by following the link below (if this collection doesn't fit your need, you may find another, more suitable one, on the site or somewhere else).

https://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

In most cases, if you find a particular cultivar you want to try, you can purchase the seeds independently of a collection, so you won't have to buy the whole group.

I've heard that growing a great tomato is the Holy Grail of gardening...I wish you great success in your quest! Cool
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 237

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/30/2017, 4:14 pm

I tried Mortgage Lifter this year. Did fair. But, remember, I'm Zone 9 but dry!

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 8/30/2017, 4:16 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:Brian, it might be helpful for you to check out some of the websites which sell heirloom tomato seeds.  Many of these sites have collections available for specific regions or climates.  One such collection can be found by following the link below (if this collection doesn't fit your need, you may find another, more suitable one, on the site or somewhere else).

https://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-seeds-tropical-hot-humid-collection.html

In most cases, if you find a particular cultivar you want to try, you can purchase the seeds independently of a collection, so you won't have to buy the whole group.

I've heard that growing a great tomato is the Holy Grail of gardening...I wish you great success in your quest! Cool
I just checked it out. That's a great website. Thanks!
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 on 8/30/2017, 5:43 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
I found this website today and thought of your situation.  You might have already tried all these already, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it for you just in case.
brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/30/2017, 5:52 pm

brianj555 wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I have yet to find any variety of tomato that will survive our summers. Hubby is going to build me a greenhouse window on the south side of our sun room for the sole purpose of growing tomatoes. If that doesn't work I may have to give up. The only good thing for you is that your "zone 9" is better than my "zone 9" for growing things. GOOD LUCK! geek
I found this website today and thought of your situation.  You might have already tried all these already, but I figured it couldn't hurt to post it for you just in case.
Thanks, but I can't get the image big enough to read. I also tried that other link, but there's nothing for "hot & dry" climates. There are so many varieties I'm sure I'll find one sooner or later, but right now it's very frustrating.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

@countrynaturals

Post  brianj555 on 8/30/2017, 6:06 pm

brianj555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 8/30/2017, 9:26 pm

Brian, If I lived in AZ or So. CA, NM, So. TX, etc., those would be fun to try. CN, Melen, Audrey and Yard Slave are too far north latitude-wise for winter tomatoes. In "tropical" areas, summer is the off season.

sanderson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/31/2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks, Brian. Next year I may try some early varieties and see if I can get a crop in before the blistering heat starts.
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum