Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down

N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/1/2017, 6:50 pm

Wow!  All Saints Day, November 1st!  Cold here, damp.  Leaves are falling finally, grass possibly still needs one more chop?  We’ll see;)

Nothing much going on in my garden, but I know some of you guys still have things going, maybe under cover or started at the right time!!! (I don’t do that very well!)

Welcome, November, harvests, shortening days....
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/2/2017, 5:33 pm

Warmer today, nice yet overcast.  Will for sure need another mowing at least. Grrrrrr
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/5/2017, 3:28 pm

Thunderstorms here, very warm, but this is coming to an end!  “Fell Back” one hour last night, might help in the mornings, but not so much in the evenings!

Nothing happeneing out there in the boxes.  I did order the Ball book of food preservation, in preparation for my (hopefully) bumper crop next season!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  CapeCoddess on 11/7/2017, 1:13 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote: “Fell Back” one hour last night, might help in the mornings, but not so much in the evenings!

Amen to that, Sister!!! I still feel like I have jet lag and I changed my clocks last Friday!

Grass mowing is good, SR. I actually get excited about that...but only when it's covered with leaves and gets collected for compost. Otherwise the grass gets left on the lawn for fertilizer. No fun at all.

avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/7/2017, 9:44 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote: “Fell Back” one hour last night, might help in the mornings, but not so much in the evenings!

Amen to that, Sister!!!  I still feel like I have jet lag and I changed my clocks last Friday!  

Grass mowing is good, SR.  I actually get excited about that...but only when it's covered with leaves and gets collected for compost.  Otherwise the grass gets left on the lawn for fertilizer.  No fun at all.

OK, so I actually have a way to get my leaves this year...my pile is super sloooow.  I have a TON of grass and leaves.  Can I just dump it all on there???  Leaves, grass combined???? And I have 2 pails with coffee grounds etc...
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  CapeCoddess on 11/8/2017, 3:11 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote: “Fell Back” one hour last night, might help in the mornings, but not so much in the evenings!

Amen to that, Sister!!!  I still feel like I have jet lag and I changed my clocks last Friday!  

Grass mowing is good, SR.  I actually get excited about that...but only when it's covered with leaves and gets collected for compost.  Otherwise the grass gets left on the lawn for fertilizer.  No fun at all.

OK, so I actually have a way to get my leaves this year...my pile is super sloooow.  I have a TON of grass and leaves.  Can I just dump it all on there???  Leaves, grass combined???? And I have 2 pails with coffee grounds etc...

I don't mind slow.  I used to turn it every weekend but don't anymore.

I dump my mowed grass/leaves combo next to my kitchen scraps pile that I've been making since Sept.  Here's the recipe I use:
Dump 2 mower bag loads of grass/leaves combo into kind of a meatloaf shape, top with a few forks of kitchen scraps, water, repeat.  

Sometimes, if I've collected it, I throw in a layer of seaweed or what not (in your case, coffee grounds).  

I used to make mountains instead of meatloaves, but the completed meatloaf is easier for me to turn come spring:
Chop a slice from an end and let it fall into the empty space next to the meatloaf, cover with kitchen scraps or whatever, cover that with another chopped slice. Repeat with each trip from the kitchen to the compost pile.
What a Face
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/8/2017, 8:12 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:
@CapeCoddess wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote: “Fell Back” one hour last night, might help in the mornings, but not so much in the evenings!

Amen to that, Sister!!!  I still feel like I have jet lag and I changed my clocks last Friday!  

Grass mowing is good, SR.  I actually get excited about that...but only when it's covered with leaves and gets collected for compost.  Otherwise the grass gets left on the lawn for fertilizer.  No fun at all.

OK, so I actually have a way to get my leaves this year...my pile is super sloooow.  I have a TON of grass and leaves.  Can I just dump it all on there???  Leaves, grass combined???? And I have 2 pails with coffee grounds etc...

I don't mind slow.  I used to turn it every weekend but don't anymore.

I dump my mowed grass/leaves combo next to my kitchen scraps pile that I've been making since Sept.  Here's the recipe I use:
Dump 2 mower bag loads of grass/leaves combo into kind of a meatloaf shape, top with a few forks of kitchen scraps, water, repeat.  

Sometimes, if I've collected it, I throw in a layer of seaweed or what not (in your case, coffee grounds).  

I used to make mountains instead of meatloaves, but the completed meatloaf is easier for me to turn come spring:
Chop a slice from an end and let it fall into the empty space next to the meatloaf, cover with kitchen scraps or whatever, cover that with another chopped slice. Repeat with each trip from the kitchen to the compost pile.
What a Face
Oh honey, I love the meatloaf thing, I get it!  I too like slow (because I am a lazy gardener) but i don’t want to waste all these leaves and grass that I am about to sweep from the yard!

So meatloaf the leaves, add kitchen stuff to top.  Next kitchen load, chop end off, pile in, and mini-turn.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  sanderson on 11/10/2017, 4:37 pm

Meatloaf thing.  Nice.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/10/2017, 6:14 pm

@sanderson wrote:Meatloaf thing.  Nice.
I know!  Gonna give it a whirl!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  CapeCoddess on 11/11/2017, 1:19 pm

After all your leaves/grass are used up, start and continue to bury the kitchen scraps and stuff into the meatloaf until next spring though.  It won't really be sliceable until then. Because I'm the laziest of gardeners I usually just toss the fall/ winter scraps on top of the meatloaf and fork a bit off the sides on top of them, if I even feel motivated to cover them at all.
Rolling Eyes
Skunky comes by every night around supper time to see if I've left her anything exposed.
avatar
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6478
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 61
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/11/2017, 6:41 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:After all your leaves/grass are used up, start and continue to bury the kitchen scraps and stuff into the meatloaf until next spring though.  It won't really be sliceable until then. Because I'm the laziest of gardeners I usually just toss the fall/ winter scraps on top of the meatloaf and fork a bit off the sides on top of them, if I even feel motivated to cover them at all.
Rolling Eyes
Skunky comes by every night around supper time to see if I've left her anything exposed.
I am sure there will be visitors. I usually tarp mine for winter, or it gets too wet.  Sometimes I open it so it gets wet, or it blows off!!!  

I am very looking forward to this!  Yeah, mine would never be ready until planting Tim in spring.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/15/2017, 9:30 pm

Cold and wet here...got zero happening out there!  Except bird feeding, squirrel watching and occasional feeding of squirrels!  

Got my Pinetree catalog already!!!!!  Have started my list.  And plan a better schedule for next year to get a jump start, but not a jack rabbit start, like 2 years ago!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  sanderson on 11/16/2017, 3:09 pm

It's catalog time! study

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14948
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 69
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/16/2017, 7:01 pm

@sanderson wrote:It's catalog time! study
Yes, it is!!!!     I am really trying to figure out the whole “yard as a garden thing”.   Fruits, trees, etc.  Gotta site things right though because of my wet areas...
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

Speaking of wet areas...we have had 3” of rain here today.  My back yard is a pond.  Boxes are in the wet area but are fine, nothing in them anyways!  I have been trying to do some research on a strawberry box for next year, and a couple grape vines.  Maybe a couple fruit trees...but they need to be away from the lake that is now in my back yard!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum