Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Today's Harvest
by Roseinarosecity Today at 12:26 am

» New England Nov 2017
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:01 pm

» Happy Thanksgiving All!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:51 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:30 pm

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:33 pm

» Microgreens Gardening
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 11:55 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 8:20 am

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 11/21/2017, 11:55 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/21/2017, 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  jimmy cee on 11/8/2017, 11:35 am

Well folks I'm done with raised beds forever...Took me 2 weeks to tear down what I put together in 15 years.
Had to do it in order for my mouse to be saleable.
I will, however continue gardening in the SFG mode using containers.
My compost in time will be active and nourishing my plants.
I am in my new home but not in living quarters yet, a lot of extra work is being performed before bad weather sets in.
Just though I'd touch base, my containers will eventually be here, bright and bristling as I can get them.
I so miss the closeness I've had with you folks and hope that can be revived soon...
God bless you all
Jimmy C




avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1928
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 82
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  trolleydriver on 11/8/2017, 11:54 am

Good to hear from you Jimmy C.  I'm not surprised that it took so long to take down your raised beds. They looked very (and I mean very) sturdy. The new place looks great and I am sure you will enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Blessings
TD

____________________________

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 3871
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 70
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  jimmy cee on 11/10/2017, 7:39 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:Good to hear from you Jimmy C.  I'm not surprised that it took so long to take down your raised beds. They looked very (and I mean very) sturdy. The new place looks great and I am sure you will enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Blessings
TD
Oh yea TD, I'll be aposting once settled. I may even get myself one of thos new confounded technical camera....but my son introduced me to the I phone and the camera on that little puppy is hard to beat....
avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1928
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 82
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  yolos on 11/10/2017, 8:53 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:Good to hear from you Jimmy C.  I'm not surprised that it took so long to take down your raised beds. They looked very (and I mean very) sturdy. The new place looks great and I am sure you will enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Blessings
TD
Oh yea TD, I'll be aposting once settled. I may even get myself one of thos new confounded technical camera....but my son introduced me to the I phone and the camera on that little puppy is hard to beat....
Hey Jimmy C.  The I phone is the only thing I have used to take pictures in years.  Works great.
avatar
yolos

Female Posts : 3291
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 67
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/11/2017, 9:32 am

Hey Jimmy!  The camera phones are really good quality these days.  I have an iPhone too and it takes great pictures!  Can’t wait to hear about your new adventures in gardening again!  Miss your input and wisdom!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  jimmy cee on 11/11/2017, 10:19 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey Jimmy!  The camera phones are really good quality these days.  I have an iPhone too and it takes great pictures!  Can’t wait to hear about your new adventures in gardening again!  Miss your input and wisdom!
Not quite sure about that wisdom thing...LOL....
In thinking about container gardening, I believe I'll be making my own containers.
I made a few couple of year ago and they worked out very nicely.
A roll of wire cut to what ever size I wanted, heigh and width. Then worked inside a good quality weed barrier fabric. This allow air circulation and great drainage. Able to move around if a suitable bottom is added in beginning. Those purchased containers that I like are just to expensive for my tastes. Picture below is similar to my ideas...and they can be made as wise as one wants....Interesting thought, a round raised bed...

avatar
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 1928
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 82
Location : Indiana PA....zone 5

View user profile http://www.jcjigs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  Scorpio Rising on 11/11/2017, 6:32 pm

@jimmy cee wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey Jimmy!  The camera phones are really good quality these days.  I have an iPhone too and it takes great pictures!  Can’t wait to hear about your new adventures in gardening again!  Miss your input and wisdom!
Not quite sure about that wisdom thing...LOL....
In thinking about container gardening, I believe I'll be making my own containers.
I made a few couple of year ago and they worked out very nicely.
A roll of wire cut to what ever size I wanted, heigh and width. Then worked inside a good quality weed barrier fabric. This allow air circulation and great drainage. Able to move around if a suitable bottom is added in beginning. Those purchased containers that I like are just to expensive for my tastes. Picture below is similar to my ideas...and they can be made as wise as one wants....Interesting thought, a round raised bed...

I love it, plus you can customize the size/shape for your usage and site requirements.  Great idea!
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 5467
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 55
Location : Ada, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  hammock gal on 11/13/2017, 8:00 am

Sorry to see your raised beds go, but it looks like you've already got a handle on your next phase of gardening!   Love the looks of that porch, with the comfy chairs and the grill. Will it be screened in eventually? I have to say that my screened porch, is the best money I've ever spent. The screens make it possible to sit out there at night...and no bugs!!! But screens or not, it looks like that beautiful porch will get a lot of use. okay
avatar
hammock gal

Female Posts : 265
Join date : 2016-04-05
Location : Zone 6a- Southwest CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  Turan on 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

SO good to see you pop up again, Jimmy
I like the idea of the very customable breathable containers. I wonder if they will need extra watering, but maybe they will work with a reservoir?
Keep us posted!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
avatar
Turan

Female Posts : 2312
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum