Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.


[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Microgreens Gardening
by SQWIB Today at 8:54 am

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:22 am

» My new compost heap
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:20 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Today at 8:15 am

» Today's Harvest
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 8:13 pm

» 2017: First full year of SFGing in ND
by Robbomb116 Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Alternative cover to straw for overwintering strawberries.
by BeetlesPerSqFt Yesterday at 9:38 am

» First Frost!
by brianj555 11/20/2017, 3:27 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 11:29 am

» How Many Square Feet Do You Have?
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/20/2017, 8:56 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals 11/19/2017, 1:16 pm

» The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/19/2017, 11:14 am

» Tomato Questions
by brianj555 11/19/2017, 11:07 am

» N&C Midwest; November Already? 2017
by Scorpio Rising 11/18/2017, 7:34 pm

» BOOK GIVEAWAY #5 - ENDS 11/17/17
by brianj555 11/18/2017, 4:12 pm

» What I learned this year
by countrynaturals 11/18/2017, 1:45 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by trolleydriver 11/18/2017, 9:26 am

» First Tromboncino female flower
by countrynaturals 11/17/2017, 5:51 pm

» Third Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver 11/17/2017, 1:59 pm

» Free lunaria seeds
by hammock gal 11/17/2017, 10:12 am

» Plastic containers / trash cans?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 10:33 pm

» Mels book
by Scorpio Rising 11/16/2017, 7:04 pm

» Mid-Atl - Nov 2017 - Warming Up AGAIN?
by sanderson 11/16/2017, 4:17 pm

» 2017 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:59 pm

» Goodbye to my SFG Raised Beds
by Turan 11/15/2017, 4:41 pm

» Pickle recipes
by sanderson 11/15/2017, 4:12 am

» What variety of avocado would you recommend?
by dstack 11/14/2017, 9:12 pm

» Saffron?
by plantoid 11/14/2017, 3:32 pm

» Free Sunchoke Tubers
by BeetlesPerSqFt 11/13/2017, 6:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Jicama

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jicama

Post  Mom2Four on 5/20/2010, 5:19 pm

Has anyone every tried to grow jicama? How long did it take you to harvest? Any tips? What was your climate? Thanks!
avatar
Mom2Four

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-05-20
Location : San Diego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/20/2010, 7:00 pm

I'm not sure jicama is a good choice for SFG. Each plant can get quite large and the tubers (3 or 4 per plant) would need more than 6" of soil since they can each get 5" or larger. But it looks like it would be fun to grow for those who get 6 - 9 months frost free.

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/jicama_info.html

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904
Join date : 2010-03-03
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks!

Post  Mom2Four on 5/20/2010, 7:20 pm

Read the info on the link. Very helpful, thank you.

My boxes are 12" deep. I made them before I knew about SFG. I am replacing the top half of the soil with Mel's Mix as I go. We have a very long growing season in San Diego. I might just try it!
avatar
Mom2Four

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-05-20
Location : San Diego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  Retired Member 1 on 5/20/2010, 8:14 pm

Go for it! If I were to try it, I'd dedicate two squares per plant and put it on a trellis. As a matter of fact, I just might try it next year myself -- it sure would be a conversational piece among my neighbours.

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904
Join date : 2010-03-03
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for the encouragement!

Post  Mom2Four on 5/20/2010, 8:16 pm

I will if you will!

Thanks again.
avatar
Mom2Four

Posts : 28
Join date : 2010-05-20
Location : San Diego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  countrynaturals on 8/8/2017, 11:05 am

I forgot all about this. Adding it to my list for next year. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like jicama is a very good candidate for planting a grocery store tuber, so I'm going to special order from a nursery. It also looks like these puppies are very slow growers, requiring a long frost-free season, which is fine with me. I'll get on this next spring and report my progress next summer. Rolling Eyes
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  Ginger Blue on 8/8/2017, 1:07 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I forgot all about this. Adding it to my list for next year. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like jicama is a very good candidate for planting a grocery store tuber, so I'm going to special order from a nursery. It also looks like these puppies are very slow growers, requiring a long frost-free season, which is fine with me. I'll get on this next spring and report my progress next summer. Rolling Eyes

CN, I ordered seeds earlier this year, if you'd like some.

Of the three seeds I sowed indoors, two germinated and only one of the seedlings survived transplant.  It is a slow grower, but so far, so good. They're pretty vines. Cool

I'll be happy to share some seeds; let me know and I'll send 'em right out.

GB
Save
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  countrynaturals on 8/8/2017, 2:42 pm

@Ginger Blue wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:I forgot all about this. Adding it to my list for next year. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like jicama is a very good candidate for planting a grocery store tuber, so I'm going to special order from a nursery. It also looks like these puppies are very slow growers, requiring a long frost-free season, which is fine with me. I'll get on this next spring and report my progress next summer. Rolling Eyes

CN, I ordered seeds earlier this year, if you'd like some.

Of the three seeds I sowed indoors, two germinated and only one of the seedlings survived transplant.  It is a slow grower, but so far, so good. They're pretty vines. Cool

I'll be happy to share some seeds; let me know and I'll send 'em right out.

GB
Save
Ooo, I love it. Thank you, GB. I didn't know we could grow them from seed. BIG hug
avatar
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 2841
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

View user profile http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  Ginger Blue on 8/8/2017, 3:29 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Ginger Blue wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:I forgot all about this. Adding it to my list for next year. I just did a little research and it doesn't look like jicama is a very good candidate for planting a grocery store tuber, so I'm going to special order from a nursery. It also looks like these puppies are very slow growers, requiring a long frost-free season, which is fine with me. I'll get on this next spring and report my progress next summer. Rolling Eyes

CN, I ordered seeds earlier this year, if you'd like some.

Of the three seeds I sowed indoors, two germinated and only one of the seedlings survived transplant.  It is a slow grower, but so far, so good. They're pretty vines. Cool

I'll be happy to share some seeds; let me know and I'll send 'em right out.

GB
Save
Ooo, I love it. Thank you, GB. I didn't know we could grow them from seed. BIG hug

Great!   I'll drop 'em in the mail tomorrow.

In the meantime (and in case others are interested), here's a link to the website where I purchased the seeds.  These vines must require growing conditions similar to pole beans because that's the growing guide for the link the supplier has posted on the page.

https://www.seedsnow.com/products/bean-jicama-mexican-yam-bean
Save
avatar
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 241
Join date : 2016-06-02
Location : New Hampshire, Zone 5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jicama

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum